• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 3,551 Views, 136 Comments

Boast Bypassed - GreyGuardPony



The Great and Powerful Trixie is on the run. Having discovered rotten business in her home city, the pony behind it now wants her dead. Now set on a path towards Ponyville, her destiny will collide with that of the towns'. A Skitchverse story.

  • ...
12
 136
 3,551

The Neigh Orleans Job (Part 2)

Bayou Runner carefully adjusted his bowtie, making sure that it was perfectly straight. Appearances were important when going to an official function, even doubly so when Princess Celestia and her “dear” sister were to be in attendance.

He checked his appearance in the mirror. Coat, mane and tail neatly combed and brushed. The red silk bowtie was neatly set around his neck, a black gatsby hat perched neatly atop his head. All in all it gave him the look he was going for; upper class, yet approachable. The kind of stallion with power that could be approached by the everyday pony.

Satisfied, he turned to face Muddy Waters and Storm Front, who had been waiting patiently near the door to his bedroom.

“Now. Are we ready?”

“I think so boss.” Storm Front nodded, “I got all the boys together for extra security, Night Shade is on his hooves again and ready to go, and I got the bits.” He tilted his head slightly, “Are you really going to go through with this?”

“Of course not. I didn’t get ta where I am today by being an idiot. She’s up to something and I’d put that whole bag of bits on Lulamoon being involved.”

The two lieutenants exchanged glances.

“Again, we’re sorry-”

“Shoot, Muddy. I ain’t even mad anymore.” He beamed, “In fact, I plan on usin’ this, gods willing.”

At their confused looks, he grinned even wider.

“Ya see, it works for us if we can really establish that we’re just normal business ponies. Passing off the magic item smuggling to a scapegoat would help with that. The human and Trixie will make the perfect pair to set up for this.”

“How’s that?” Storm Front frowned, “We’ve been smuggling a lot longer than that human’s been around.”

“Which is why we’re using her and Trixie. You moved the crates like I said?”

“Yup.” Storm Front nodded. “The shamanistic masks from Zebrica and the rune imprints from the NCG. From the warehouse to the vault.”

“Good. That’s some heavy weight.”

He pointed to each of them.

“Be ready. I want our boys, all lookin’ their best. Like I hired extra security for the night. I want Night Shade to scan every member of staff for illusions. Haven’t had a chance to check em out since we hired that lot and I don’t want Lulamoon sneaking in via the back door.”

“But boss…” Storm Front spoke up. “They might have more at hoof than illusions. I bashed a changeling in that town. One of those Venexian types. Night Shade can’t dispel them.”

“Just make sure that all of the employees stay in the areas where they belong during the performance. We got enough ponies after all. Anypony who leaves, we assume is a changeling and take care of.”

Trotting for the door, he was beaming like the sun itself.

“This night is going to be perfect!”

- - - -

To say that the press of Equestria paid a great deal of attention to the princesses that ruled it would be an understatement. Most viewed it as the natural outgrowth of the love for their monarchs that Equestria’s citizens felt. Some of Equestria’s rivals beyond the borders claimed that the media coverage was a carefully orchestrated dance, conducted by Celestia and her fellows to keep the ponies in a sycophantic state. If someone had asked Skitch-Sketch, she would have responded that people (and ponies) just like celebrities and that princesses were cool now.

Whatever the actual reason, the Neigh Orleans press were swarming the Civic Theatre like parasprites on a freshly baked cake. The theatre- set at the end of a short cul-de-sac of the The Quarter- had rolled out the red carpet and the photographers lined the edges eagerly awaiting for the arrival of Celestia and Luna. Bayou Runner waited at the end, standing next to the large entrance doors, chest puffed out in pride. The city’s nobles, and other ticket holders also waited, none of them wanting show up the princesses by running inside first.

They didn’t have to wait long.

Celestia and Luna dropped from the darkness, flaring their wings as they came in for a perfectly smooth landing at the edge of the carpet. In addition to their normal regalia, the princesses wore fine velvet cloaks, embroidered with their cutie-marks. They were flanked by a member of the Day and Night Guard respectively, the white coated pegasus and dark coated thestral keeping their heads held high.

The chorus of flashes rose to greet them as they walked towards Bayou Runner, Celestia smiling serenely, Luna looking pensive. A few of the more astute reporters noticed that Celestia was hanging back slightly, letting her sister take the lead at a public event.

“Welcome to the Civic Theatre your highnesses.” Bayou Runner bowed, “I’m overjoyed that you accepted my invitation to the grand reopening!”

“The pleasure is ours.” Celestia smiled, before glancing up at the buildings facade, “I remember when this building was first constructed. It would be quite a shame if Neigh Orleans was devoid of its gifts.”

Her eyes drifted back to Bayou Runner.

“I hope that you will do it justice. Its previous owners were fine ponies.”

“As you say.” Bayou Runner smiled, “Please, let me escort you to the royal box.”

“We can find it ourselves.” Luna brusquely cut across him, “Thank you.”

Runner kept his warm smile in place as the princesses trotted past him. He fell into step behind them, breaking off towards the far right side of the entrance foyer, where Night Shade, Muddy Waters and Storm Front were waiting.

“Did you check the staff?” He pointedly asked, cutting right to the chase as the princesses took the left staircase up to the balcony seating and private boxes.

“I-I did. No illusions.” The nervous unicorn nodded, “W-whatever Trixie is planning, she’s not here yet.”

“Alri-” Bayou Runner began, pausing as Muddy Waters took a bite of a muffin that he hadn’t noticed before, “Where did you get that?”

“From her.” He motioned across the way.

Bayou Runner’s eyes narrowed at the sight of a white coated, blonde maned earth pony decked out in the uniform of an usher. Expertly balancing a tray of muffins on one hoof, she flashed a wide grin back at him, before trotting over to another one of his ponies and offering a treat.

“Why is an usher giving us muffins?”

“Ahh, come on boss.” Muddy Waters smirked, “We get freebies all the time. When was the last time you actually paid at a restaurant in this town? You’re just that kind of pony. And they are running this joint for us now. Probably wanting to make a good impression.” Muddy added.

Bayou Runner rubbed his forehead.

“You’re a moron. The changelings, remember?”

“...Changelings are going to take us out with muffins? They aren’t poisoned or anything.”

“And you’re sure about this.”

“Yup. Poisons and knock out drops leave aftertastes. You’d have to be a world class baker to hide something like that.”

Bayou Runner frowned, but nodded. Muddy was rather knowledgeable about such things and as one of his most trusted lieutenants, he’d trust his judgement.

“Alright. Keep your eyes open. I’m sure that Lulamoon will probably show up about the same time as Skitch does. We need to be ready. In the meantime, I’ll be enjoying the show.”

Trotting around to the backstage area, he took up a position at stage right, watching Equestria’s premiere orchestra do its thing. As it turned out, he didn’t have to wait long for the human to arrive. It was perhaps only twenty minutes into the Canterlot Royal Orchestra’s performance when Muddy Waters tapped him on the back.

“She’s here boss.”

Bayou Runner nodded.

“Storm Front, escort her down to the vault in the basement. Its quiet down there.”

He had no idea why Lulamoon’s family had build a vault off one of the storage rooms, but it was a pleasant perk to taking control of the building. From his position at stage left, Bayou Runner spared a glance towards the royal box, where the princesses watched the orchestra play.

“Muddy, wait a few minutes and bring Princess Celestia down.”

“Sure thing boss.”

Bayou Runner took his time walking down to the basement. Let her sweat, wondering what might have already, or could be going wrong. It was a tactic that had served him well for years, as ponies minds were quite apt at reaching for the worst case scenario. Sure enough, by the time he reached the vault, Skitch-Sketch was nervously pacing while Storm Front watched her.

“Well, miss Skitch-Sketch.” He smiled, “Shall we complete this little transaction of ours?”

Skitch nodded, her eyes darting from Runner to Storm Front and back again.

“Yeah, just keep your men leashed. You got the bits?”

“That depends if you got the stuff.”

“I got a selection. Everything left over from The Collector.”

With that, she levitated the tesla gun from before, and a pair of wands into view. Bayou Runner raised an eyebrow.

“That’s it?”

“That’s all for starters. I’ll need to take a trip off world to get more, and I’m not risking the markets of Sigil until I’m sure this partnership can work. That city sucks.”

“Fine.” He sighed, motioning to the pieces, “What do you want for them?”

“Ten grand for the tesla. Five grand for each of the wands. Ya got your web spell here,” She hovered her hoof over the one, “And this one is your magic missile.”

“Fine, pa-”

The vault door swung open, the forms of Princess Celestia, Muddy Waters and Night Shade pushing their way into the room.

“Ahh! Princess Celestia.” Bayou Runner grinned, “How nice of you to join us!” “

“What’s going on here? I had gotten up to stretch my legs when your associate came to collect me.” Celestia frowned.

“Alas, I do regret to inform you that your human guest in engaged in the smuggling of dangerous artifacts. She approached me, and I lured her here for a little civilian sting.”

“That’s a damn lie!” Skitch snapped back, “He’s the one who lured me down here! I’m being set up!”

Princess Celestia frowned, casting her eyes towards the items resting on the floor.

“The problem is, those are items not of this world. And you are the only creature that we know of in the world who has that ability.”

“No! I’m not going down for this alone! He’s a crime boss! He tried to murder somepony! And just look! These crates? None of that’s mine! They’re his! I bet there’s smuggled artifacts in them!”

“Which you have not a shred of proof of!” Bayou Runner snapped back, “This place belonged to the Lulamoon family before me. Maybe they’re the ones who smuggled!”

“We most certainly did not!” “Celestia” snapped with a stomp of her hoof.

Everyone paused, save for Skitch, who groaned and kneaded her forehead with a hoof. “Goddamn it Trixie. Just...goddamn.”

“He insulted my family!” “Celestia” continued. “I’m not going to let rocks for brains do that when he already killed my mother!”

“NIGHT SHADE!” Bayou Runner bellowed.

With a flash of magic, the illusions around Trixie vanished in a series of pops and puffs of blue smoke. The unicorn laughed nervously, taking a few steps back towards the door as Bayou Runner’s face began to take on a particular shade of purple.

“LEG IT!” Skitch shouted, already taking her own advice.

That was all the convincing Trixie needed. Her horn glowed, and the room was engulfed in a blinding flash, the pair of ponies stampeding past the stunned mobsters during the moment of confusion.

Bayou Runner recovered first, fueled more by his rage than anything else.

“No more plans! Get those two and put em down!” He bellowed, chasing after the two, his men following suit.

The main storage room was a miss-matched collection or props, old chairs and other equipment that hadn’t been sorted through in many a year. Trixie and Skitch had a head start, weaving and ducking through the stacks. Reaching the doorway, Trixie lashed out with a kick, sending a stack of chairs wobbling, and then toppling towards the ground dragging other piles of junk with it.

Runner, Waters and Storm Front scattered, avoiding the rain of detritus that Night Shade was unable to. The unicorn yelped in shock, finding himself pinned under the avalanche of random items.

“B-boss! W-wait!”

But they were already out the door, leaving him alone in the room. Groaning, he squirmed and pushed against the pile, trying to squirm his way free.

“Oh no, l-leave me behind! And then w-when I’m not t-there I’ll get screamed at.”

The sound of hooves on stone - dainty and confident, opposed to the angry thumps of the chase- drew near. Night Shade twisted and thrashed again, trying to get a view at who was approaching. A moment later, he found himself staring up into the face of one of the most beautiful unicorns he had ever seen.

“Hello darling.” She smiled, “You and I need to have a conversation.”

- - - -

Storm Front was angry.

He had apparently not sent enough of a message to the ponies of Ponyville when he was there. Do not get involved in Bayou Runner’s business. Do not play the hero. Play the hero and bad things happen to you. You get hurt.

And yet, here they were.

I think I’ll snap Trixie’s neck. He smirked, putting on a burst of speed, preparing to strike.

Suddenly, there was a blur of purple and green, something getting tangled up in his hooves. With a startled cry he was sent crashing to the floor, rolling over and over as he tumbled down a short set of stairs and slammed through a pair of double doors.

Flopping back to an upright position, Storm Front blinked as found himself in the back alley behind the theatre. Hadn’t he been in the basement just a moment ago?

“What in Tartarus….”

Spinning about as the door creaked open behind him, he frowned at the sight of the orange colored earth pony mare and the black coated pegasus stallion who stood side by side.

“Howdy!” The mare nodded, tilting her stetson back slightly, “Ah understand you’re the pony who assaulted a neighbor of mine. Time you and I had words about that.”

“Yeah!” The pegasus nodded, angrily flapping his wings, “Ponyville sends its regards!”

The orange mare blinked at that.

“Thunderlane...was that supposed to be a reference or somethin?”

“...I’ll admit, it sounded better in my head.”

“Well then.” Storm Front snarled, “I guess that Ponyville will have two new gravestones once I’m done with you two!”

“Bring it on stormy!”

Under the starlit sky, the three ponies charged.

- - - -

Muddy Waters frowned.

“Boss, I think we lost Storm Front!”

“Find him! Find the others!” Bayou Runner shouted, “I’m going to put these two down!”

Before Muddy could follow those orders, Skitch-Sketch suddenly came to a skidding halt, turning into a pony sized speed bump that he desperately tried to avoid. But the unicorn had timed it too well, and the two collapsed in a tangle of limbs and air being knocked from his lungs.

Quickly recovering, Muddy did a double take at the fact they were both in the lobby, surrounded by his fellow syndicate members, and a pair of shocked looking employees. Though more than a few of them seemed to be blinking off the desire to start napping right then and there, he didn’t care. There was over a dozen of them, and one of her.

“Oh, you’re in trouble now!” He grinned, “I’ve been wanting to teach you some manners since yesterday!”

He took a step forward, only to pause again as ethereal notes of music began to swirl about the room.

Come little children, I’ll take thee away,
Into a land of enchantment,

“Who the tartarus is singing?” He thought, looking around in confusion.

One of the employees, a mint green unicorn, was gently plucking at a lyre that she hadn’t had a moment before, her eyes closed her horn shimmered. The other usher, a cream colored earth pony mare softly sung. The eyes of his fellows were growing heavy, as were their heads. They stumbled and shuffled as the song continued, the notes seeming to almost drag them down into a deep sleep.

Come little children the time’s come to play,
Here in my garden of shadows.

A chorus of thuds rung out as bodies hit the floor, and even Muddy Waters was having trouble keeping his eyes open. Skitch grinned, wide and smug, as the other unicorn continued to play.

“You really shouldn’t have eaten the muffins.”

“But...I had it figured out….” Waters grunted, toppling to the floor, sleep finally claiming him.

- - - -

Trixie slid to a halt, eyes wide at the dead end that she found herself in.

“Damn!” She swore, spinning about only to wince at Bayou Runner.

“Well, here we are Trixie.” The crime lord smiled, “I suppose that this was inevitable, when you think about it. You’re just like your mother, no clue when to step aside.”

“Step aside?” Trixie blinked. “I was just supposed to forget that you killed my mother?”

“It was just business! That’s what none of you understand. I don’t seek death. I’m not some kind of monster like Discord. But ponies in my city? They need to understand certain rules. You stay out of my way, and out of my business.” He glared, slowly drawing even closer to the trapped spellcaster, “That’s why I’m the kingpin.”

“You really think that you’ll be able to keep all of this hidden from Celestia?” Trixie frowned, pressing her back to the wall, “All that noise you made up in Ponyville? I’m sure you’re on her radar now.”

“I’ll deal with her. Over a decade I’ve run this operation under that cow’s snout, and she hasn’t seen a damn thing! And it’s going to stay that way.”

“I disagree.” Came a third voice.

Bayou Runner’s eyes went wide as he was seized by golden tendrils of magic, the rough brick of the basement corridor falling away into the plush furnishings of the royal box. Yelping and thrashing helplessly against the iron grip of the magic, he was spun about to look directly into the intense magenta eyes of the sun princess.

She was flanked by her sister, who looked quite ready to beat the earth pony into a coma, and her prized student and bearer of the Element of Magic, who had a wide grin on her muzzle and a piece of paper in her magic aura. And the guards the princesses had brought with them stood behind them, keeping their stony expressions in place.

“P-princess, I-”

“You have the right to silence Mister Runner.” Princess Celestia explained, like a mother to a particularly rebellious foal, “As you just admitted to a murder in front of me, I suggest you exercise it.”

“You can’t do this to me! This is entrapment!”

“Incorrect!” Twilight grinned, waving her page in the air, “Equestrian law says that entrapment occurs when the actions of an agent of the crown would cause a usually law abiding pony to commit a crime they otherwise wouldn’t. Trixie is not an agent of the crown, and your actions in Ponyville prove that you’re willing to resort to violence!”

“Furthermore,” She continued, steam building in her argument, “Equestrian law further states that the crown has the right to lay claim to any assets, profits or interest generated by a corrupt enterprise! Which means that all of your businesses or buildings involved in your smuggling now belong to Celestia!”

“And you don’t have enough pro-”

“Confession. Physical evidence.” Twilight fired back. “And right now, my friend Rarity is talking to Night Shade. I have every confidence she’ll be able to convince him to turn evidence against you!”

Bayou Runner’s eyes darted from princess to princess, a growing sense of dread overtaking the crime lord.

He was stuck.

There was no way to get out of what Trixie and her stupid friends had managed to trap him in.

“I want to talk deal.”

Celestia’s eyes narrowed, ever so slightly.

“Trixie. This did belong to your family. Is there an office we can use?”

“Of course. This way princess.”

Trixie lead the group backstage, where a wrought iron spiral staircase lead up to a small hallway, there a pair of rooms waited. Quickly trotting over to the left door, she pulled it open for Celestia, who calmly strode into the room, still carrying Bayou Runner along in her aura. Once everpony had filed in behind her, she casually snapped the door closed and dropped the trapped pony back to the floor.

“Very well, Bayou Runner. What do you have to say?”

“I want consideration.” He frowned, brushing his coat off. “For what I’m going to say.”

“What do you mean?” Trixie frowned.

“When I’m gone, this city is going to tear itself apart. Lots of other creatures around here do things just as bad as I do. And the guard? So very corrupt. I know about all of them. And I’d be willing to testify against the whole lot.”

“I see.” Celestia nodded. “And what would you want for this information?”

“I walk away.” He nodded. “Simple as that.”

“What?!” Twilight gaped. “You murdered somepony! You can’t just walk away from that.”

“I can if Princess Celestia wants to protect the ponies of this city.” He shrugged. “Neigh Orleans has been outside her watch for long enough that it’ll do what it wants. Unless my information helps stop that.”

“Thou honorless cur!” Luna snapped, a miniature crack of thunder reverberating through the room with a stomp of her hoof. “We should strike you down right here for trying to use the lives of thine fellows for ransom!”

Further rage was cut off by a raised wing from Celestia. Equestria’s ruler was silent as she stared at Bayou Runner, contemplating his words. But after a moment, she shook her head, and sighed.

“It is a poor idea to engage in a game of brinkmanship with me, Bayou Runner. Here is my counter offer. You will confess and save the nation the cost of a trial and I shall not make the moon your prison.”

“The moon.” Bayou Runner blinked.

“Oh yes.” Luna grinned, suddenly almost bouncing in place. “The moon is quite a fine prison! We speak from experience after all. In fact, thine are welcome to the castle we constructed while trapped upon its surface. We believe it is still there.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“I did it to my own family.” Celestia frowned. “As painful as it was, I still did it. So, by all means,” Her eyes narrowed slightly. “Test my resolve.”

Bayou Runner sputtered, trying to raise some kind of objection to what Princess Celestia had just said. But as he tried to find words to project his outrage, Celestia’s steely and even gaze drained his will to fight, for it was obvious that she did not lack any of it.

It was as she said. Test it and see what would happen. Which said nothing for what Luna might do, with her more archaic mindset on meting out punishment. Still….

“Very well princess. I shall accept your terms. But I will not speak on anypony in this city without reducing whatever sentence you give me.”

“We shall manage.” Celestia frowned, motioning to her and Luna’s guards with a wing. “Restrain him, and any of his ponies that are nearby. Luna, if you could assist, and make sure that everypony on both sides are accounted for?”

“Of course sister.”

Once they had trotted out the door, Celestia looked to Trixie.

“Trixie, if you can wait outside, I would like to speak with Twilight first.”

Trixie nodded, slipping out the door behind the others. Ruffling her wings, Celestia lowered herself into a sitting position, carefully observing Twilight. For her part, Twilight looked back up into the eyes of her mentor. It was a familiar ritual between the two, started in the days when Celestia would ask Twilight for a summary of what she had learned that day in Canterlot.

“The plan...it was well put together.” Celestia began. “Was it yours?”

“Oh! Well…no. It was mostly Roseluck and Trixie.”

“Ahh.” Celestia smiled. “I should have recognized Roseluck’s hooves in this. She has always been fond of ploys where the target does most of the work for her.” She tilted her head slightly. “I have to ask, why did you decide to help Trixie? Did you not think that we’d handle it?”

“Trixie and Roseluck were planning on coming back here on their own. It was suicidally dangerous! I couldn’t...I just couldn’t let them get themselves killed. I couldn’t face that again. Not after….”

She trailed off, just in time to be embraced in a soft wing hug from her mentor. Twilight hesitated for a moment, almost wanting to pull away and insist that she was fine. But emotion won out and she leaned into the embrace, resting her head against the warm, soft coat of Celestia.

“Oh, Twilight.” She sighed, pulling her wings a little tighter around the unicorn. “I am so sorry. You shouldn’t have to carry this kind of burden yourself.”

“She deserved to have a friendly face nearby as she passed on.” Twilight countered, shaking her head. “I don’t regret doing it. I just don’t want to see it happen to anypony else I care about.”

Celestia sighed, wincing like she had been wounded. “Something that is not always possible, I’m afraid. But that doesn’t make it something unworthy of striving for. Just...please. In the future, don’t leave my sister and I out of the loop on your plans. We can support you.”

“Okay.” Twilight nodded. “I promise.”

“Thank you.” Celestia nodded, the refined smile and expression of wisdom returning to her features. “Could you send Trixie in please? There is much that I need to discuss with her.”

“Of course!”

With a spring back in her step, Twilight trotted out the door. A moment later it clicked back open as Trixie nervously shuffled in, like she was expecting to be admonished by a teacher.

“Princess? You wanted to speak to me?” She grinned, almost manically. “You’re not upset I used you as part of my plan? Please?” She dropped into a hasty bow, almost forgetting proper decorum.

“I will admit,” Celestia smirked, “I am not used to being used in such a manner. But it did achieve results faster than my own efforts would have. So...no, I am not angry. In fact, if anything I am the one who owes you an apology.”

Trixie blinked in shock as Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria, monarch of the sun, took a step back and swept into a bow.

“I have not watched this city properly. It has festered and turned into something horrible in my shadow. And because of that, innocent ponies have suffered. Your family has suffered. You have suffered. I have failed and all I can do is ask your forgiveness.”

The showmare stared at the princess for a few long minutes, her mind struggling to understand exactly what she was seeing.

“Princess.” She eventually answered. “I’ll forgive you, if you promise me that you’ll never take up Bayou Runner on his insane deal.”

“Agreed.” Celestia nodded as she straightened back up. “Which brings me to my next point. Are his claims about how corrupt this city are true?”

“I think so, yeah.” Trixie nodded. “Nopony trusts the guard, as they’re pretty much in the pocket of every corrupt noble around here.”

“Then it seems that I will have to appoint some of the Royal Guard to fix that. But in regards to the nobles of this city….” She hesitated for a moment. “Trixie. I have a question to ask of you.”

“Yes?”

“You know this city. You worked against Bayou Runner and helped build this plan. I would ask you to be my agent in this city. To help deal with the corrupt.”

“Me?” Trixie blinked.

“You. You’re willing. You have experience. And you can be trusted. In this city, that makes you worth your weight in gold. Will you accept this position?”

Trixie gaped again, tapping her ear to make sure she heard what she had heard before bowing her head. “O-of course. I accept.”

“Very well.” Celestia motioned with a wing. “Kneel.”

Trixie quickly lowered herself to her cannons, bowing her head. There was a warm flash of magic, Celestia calling forth her golden halberd.

“Do you swear to work to serve and protect your fellow creatures? To work to uplift and assist those who suffer? To stand as a beacon of Equestrian ideals to the best of your ability? And to never let the politics of nations stand in the way of doing what is right?”

“I swear.”

“Then by the authority of my crown, I name you knight of Equestria, and member of the Golden Ring.”

Trixie felt the halberd blade gently touch each shoulder, a warm sensation flooding through her core.

“Rise, Dame Trixie Lulamoon, Knight of Veiled Justice.”

Trixie rose, raising an eyebrow at Celestia. “Veiled Justice?”

“A knight is worthy of carrying a title. And as you struggled against this corruption yourself, it seemed appropriate.”

Trixie nodded, but then something clicked in her mind.

“Princess. Why haven’t you knighted the Element Bearers?”

Princess Celestia winced, hanging her head slightly.

“A moment of weakness, perhaps? I’ve wished to spare them the worst of what might be coming. Most of them are simple mares, who haven’t dealt with personal tragedy the same way we have.”

“With all due respect, princess.” Trixie frowned. “I don’t think that you’ll be able to do that forever.”

“I am...aware.” Celestia sighed. “But I shall deal with that in time. In the meantime, the ownership of this theatre will be returned to you with all due haste. It’s only right that it’s once again in the hooves of your family. Now,” She began to nudge Trixie towards the door, “Let us make sure that Bayou Runner and his ponies are properly secured. It’s time for his influence to end.”

Trixie nodded as she followed, unable to keep the grin off her muzzle. Against all odds, she had finally won.

And it felt good.

- - - -

It was later in the night by the time multiple paddy-wagons had been pulled together to collect Bayou Runner and his goons. Trixie and her impromptu crew watched from the steps of the theatre, satisfaction playing across most of their faces as the assembled press snapped photos of the crime lord’s arrest.

The members of the Neigh Orleans Guard that lead the ponies into wagons for transport did so under the watchful eyes of Celestia and Luna. More than a few of them looked nervous, their eyes darting to Bayou Runner as he waited to be loaded.

“Ah reckon that some of them are wondering if their time is up.” Applejack scowled, absentmindedly rubbing at her scars. “Hope that they’re sweatin’ a bit.”

“It’s the end of an era.” Cherry Berry nodded, smirking at the sight of an unconscious Storm Front being lifted into one of the wagons. “I see that Storm Front didn’t give you as much trouble as he did me.”

“Years of apple bucking. ‘Sides, he was dizzy from Spike trippin’ him up and ah had help.” Applejack grinned, nodding to Thunderlane. “Yer a scrapper Thuderlane.”

The pegasus grinned, rubbing at the black eye that was hidden by his dark coat. “Still, if you hadn’t been there backing me up, I think I would have been badly hurt.”

“I’m glad you weren’t.” Fluttershy smiled.

“Hey, Lyra.” Skitch-Sketch spoke up. “What was that song you sung to put all his dudes to sleep?”

“Oh, it was an old song and story.” The unicorn shrugged. “It was actually about how Luna looked over some of Canterlot’s orphans post the reign of Discord. Why do you ask?”

“No real reason. Just sounded nice.” She grinned.

“Well, my spellsong got a big boost from those muffins. I’m still amazed you managed to hide the taste of that knockout powder, Pinkie.”

“Aww. Thanks!” Pinkie giggled, even as she cleaned the white makeup from her coat. “I’m just glad that all of my years of baking could help.”

“We all played our parts.” Rarity nodded, eyeing Night Shade as he willingly climbed into one of the wagons. “I’m just glad that it’s over.”

“So, Skitch-Sketch.” Trixie spoke up, raising an eyebrow. “Before we left, you said that this whole situation wasn’t anything like your world's stories. How do you think this stacks up to that?”

“Not even close to each other at all.” Skitch admitted with a smile. “But I think that I like this ending better.”

“I think I can agree with that.” Trixie smiled back.

Author's Note:

Celestia likes her titles.

If there's one thing I've learned from writing this particular fic, is that taking a large break in the middle of writing it to go back and finish another project, when you don't have the first project done, is a very, very bad idea. I kind of feel like this one has become the weakest fic in the Skitchverse right now, but perhaps I just have that view because I've been struggling to get this one done.

Ahh well. Onwards and upwards!

The next few Skitchverse fics are gonna be more slice of life, to kind of balance things out before I launch into another big action piece.