• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 3,514 Views, 136 Comments

Boast Bypassed - GreyGuardPony



The Great and Powerful Trixie is on the run. Having discovered rotten business in her home city, the pony behind it now wants her dead. Now set on a path towards Ponyville, her destiny will collide with that of the towns'. A Skitchverse story.

  • ...
12
 136
 3,514

The Hoofington Waltz

The town square of Hoofington was awash in the warm glow from it's many newly installed electric street lights, the yellow glow highlighting the crowd of ponies that sat in the square and in the outdoor seating of the restaurants that lined said square.

Their attention was directed towards the cart that had been pulled to the far end of the cobblestone circle and the group of musicians that were standing before it. They parted slightly, a caramel coated white maned and tailed pegaus stepped forward, standing on her hind legs fiddle in her hooves.

As one of her co-musicians placed a small plain box before them, she began to play. It was a jaunty little tune, one that she began to dance to as she played her hooves clacking on the cobblestone.

Trixie smiled from the little view window in her cart. Her grandpapa would probably have gotten on her case for letting somepony take the spotlight before her act, but the mare really was a fantastic player. Besides, professional courtesy did dictate that travelling entertainers let locals go first; it helped warm up the crowd.

As the ponies in the crowd began to toss bits into the box, Trixie turned her gaze towards her own small battered chest. Her collection of bits was running low, only a few coins scattered along the bottom. Her flight from Neigh Orleans had been on such short notice that she had barely been able to gather enough money for the trip.

And then there had been the strange series of misfortunes that had been continuing to dog her. Ponies driven away from her shows, her cart sabotaged a few times. Somepony was gunning for her and she had a feeling she knew who.

Reflexively she pulled her hat off and checked the stack of documents that she kept stowed inside, counting each page meticulously. All twenty five right where they should be. She tucked them back into her hat and took a calming breath.

“Nothing I can't handle.” She muttered to herself. “I'm the Great and Powerful Trixie! I can do this.”

The musicians had stopped playing, stepping aside so that Trixie could start the main act. Giving the rope that controlled the fold out stage a yank she gave her opening spiel.

“Come one! Come all! Come and witness the greatest show in Equestria! The amazing and fantastic magic of the Great and Powerful...TRIXIE!”

A flick of a hoof sent a smoke pellet through the curtain, a well placed illusion spell adding some much needed sparkles as she took her place. The crowd properly ooo'ed and ahh'ed at the trick, Trixie smiling as she began to move into her set.

She started off small with a collection of her favourite slight of hoof tricks. The classic guess the card, ball under the cup, linked metal rings- all of the usual ones. But then she began to pick up her game a bit, moving into more in depth illusion based tricks. The crowd continued to cheer and stomp their hooves with each illusion, Trixie's smile growing wider and wider. She had them.

It was time for the big illusion display of the show.

“And now, the Great and Powerful Trixie, great, great descendant of the famed seer Crystal Gazer the Brilliant will pierce the veil between worlds and present you a feat of magic that not even the alicorn sisters that guide the sun and moon can duplicate!”

A gasp echoed through the square, mixed with a few derisive chuckles from the hecklers that thought she was full of garbage. Trixie ignored them as she began to channel, wrapping a pair of spells around herself.

To the audience, it seemed that Trixie was beginning to levitate her eyes glowing with crackling blue energy. In reality, she had turned herself invisible, conjured up the illusion of herself, and wrapped a spell around her throat to give it a suitably eerie effect.

“Behold! The Great and Powerful Trixie is peering between worlds! I see the truth of it all! The secrets of creation!”

She gasped in mock horror.

“We are in danger! Horrible creatures are coming! I can see them crossing the veil! They're...they're...HUMANS!”

A few well placed auditory illusions of horrible growls and snarls around the square made the audience flinch and ripple, a few mutters of concern rumbling from the those who had heckled before.

Trixie layered the next part of the enchantment, rippling portals seeming to open up around the town square and vanishing again before a large one appeared on stage next to her. The crowd screamed in horror as horde of creatures came spilling out.

This was the part of her travelling act that Trixie liked the best, playing off of the stories that had been in the papers since that human had tried to destroy everything. Of course, there hadn't been any pictures of what the human had looked like so she had been forced to improvise.

Almost sickeningly thin, their shadowy forms had exaggeratedly long arms, legs and fingers. She had left her facial features undefined, better to let the audience project their fears. Surging from the portal, they rushed towards Trixie as they howled in anger. The crowd gasped, appropriately so. Just how Trixie wanted it.

“Fear not everypony! The Great and Powerful Trixie will protect you!”

The first “human” charged Trixie, howling in the nonsense language she had devised for it. Dropping her first illusion, auditory and invisibility spells all at once Trixie extended both of her forelegs and grabbed the onrushing figure. With a few quick motions, she folded the human up like it was a piece of paper and with a flick of her hoof made a rose appear in it's place.

An appreciative cheer filled the square, Trixie tossing the flower out to the crowd as she prepared to defeat the next of her illusionary foes.

So wrapped up in her performance Trixie was, she completely missed the black chitinous figure that crept under the stage. The shadows cast by the street lamps almost seemed to cling to it's form hiding it from view. Nimbly slipping through the back door the figure paused, taking in the scene.

Her carapace spoke to her changeling origins, but the lack of holes in the legs, straighter horn and full pupiled eyes pegged her as a member of the free Venexian strain. Thorn licked her lips as she worked out her plan of action. Plant the evidence, find the stolen information. Set the annoying unicorn up for a fall and then get out. Just how her client wanted it to go down.

Thorn reached into her pack, pulling out the large bag of bits that she had stolen from the town's emergency fund; she grinned as she slid it under Trixie's pillow. With that done she quickly and quietly began to rummage through whatever drawers and chests were contained within the cart.

She moved with the practiced grace of a creature who had done this dozens of times before, systematically searching each drawer and chest before carefully putting them back where she found them.

“Come on...where would I hide stolen information if I was a complete egotist of a showmare with a talent for illusions. She'd have to keep it close...”

Another cheer roared through the crowd as Trixie banished another one of her illusionary humans. Thorn's eyes narrowed as a realization washed over her.

“Oh that bi-”

A deep and bellowing roar cut through the air, true screams of panic erupting from the crowd at this point. Frowning, she risked a peek through the curtain that separated the rest of the cart from the stage.

A large ursine figure, it's blue body almost seeming to be made out of stars, was marching through the streets towards the town square. The crowd that had gathered to watch the show were now bolting away from the monster in a blind panic.

Thorn ground her teeth as she spotted two of the ponies that were running away from the ursa minor. She pulled back quickly rushing back out the door.

“Those idiots!”

- - - -

Trixie wanted to scream in frustration as she watched the ursa minor prowl towards her. Another show ruined, another chance to make enough bits to cover her flank until she got to Canterlot, trashed.

Part of her screamed to quickly pack up and leave before something else could get blamed on her. But even as that thought crossed her mind, she could hear the voice of her grandpapa in her head.

Don't you dare, Trixie.

Swearing under her breath, she quickly glanced around for somepony who could assist with the plan she was already forming in her head. Pretty much everypony had bolted at this point, but the fiddle player- Rising Note was her name Trixie believed- was standing near the stage jaw agape.

“You!” Trixie yelled, pointing a hoof at her. “I need your help!”

“M-me?”

“Yes! I need you to follow me and play something soothing!”

Waiting only for the nod response, Trixie jumped off her stage and rushed towards the Ursa Minor, Rising Note right behind her. Her grandpapa's voice echoed in her mind again.

Ursa Minor. Susceptible to music and soothing lights.

She skidded to a halt at the end of the street that the star bear was striding up, the beast's head drawing even with roof tops as it's eyes locked very firmly onto her. Gulping, Trixie glanced behind her and nodded to Rising Note.

“Play!”

Her wings were quavering, but Rising Note raised her fiddle and began to play. It was a slower more mournful tune standing out in stark contrast to the jaunty jig she was playing before.

Trixie channelled again as the ursa drew right up to her, conjuring a swirling field of soft blue and green lights. Standing on her own hind hooves, Trixie began to gently sway back and forth; twisting and dancing the colored lights before the ursa minor in what she hoped was a calming pattern.

The ursa minor's eyes began to droop as the performance continued it's whole body beginning to sway back and forth, entranced.

“What do we do now?” Rising Note hissed.

“We walk it back out of here.”

“How?”

“Very, very carefully.”

- - - -

An hour later, Trixie and Rising Note were slowly walking back towards Hoofington the ursa minor having been safely tucked back into it's cave. Trixie glanced over at the young pegasus, a smile crossing her muzzle.

“Thanks for backing me up there.”

She smiled back.

“Not a problem. That was an impressive light show you put on.”

Trixie grinned as she adjusted her hat.

“Well my grandpa taught me a whole lot in terms of slight of hoof and other magic.”

“Well, it certainly seems to have paid off.”

As they approached the town square again Trixie noticed the large group of ponies that seemed to be angrily setting themselves up around her cart. An earth pony mare with a pine needle green coat seemed to be leading the mob. That fact was especially evident when she spotted Trixie and pointed a hoof at her.

“There she is! She's the one who lured the ursa minor into the city and stole our money!”

“Wait...what?” Trixie gaped.

The pony produced a thick bag of bits.

“I found this hidden under your pillow! You've stolen from us, great and devious Trixie!”

“I...I did not! I'm being set up!”

“Who would bother to set you up?” She responded as she passed the bag of bits to one of the town guard. “Lock her up!”

“Wait...no!” Rising Note shouted as she stepped forward. “Why would she rob the town and then stick around? Besides, that ursa minor could have done a great deal of damage if she hadn't intervened!”

The guard seemed to be unsure now, exchanging glances with each other. The pine needle colored earth pony frowned, continuing to press the issue.

“Well you can't just let her go! At least detain her until you figure all of this out.”

Trixie could see the direction this was going already. This was a short term con, designed to get her out of the way for a little while so that whoever was messing with her could get unfettered access to her cart and possessions. And considering her current situation, she only had one real option.

“Rising Note,” She whispered, “Do you trust me?”

Rising Note didn't look behind her but nodded slightly. Trixie smirked. This mare was smart, not making the response obvious.

“All right. When I slide you the papers, you need to hide them some place safe and then meet me back outside the town.”

With another slight nod from Rising Note, Trixie stepped forward to meet the guard as they came to take her into custody. She waited for the two guard ponies to place their hooves on her back before launching into her plan.

“How dare you touch the plot of the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

“What?!”

Spinning to face one of the guards she slapped him right across the muzzle. He stumbled back in shock, exchanging a glance with partner before sputtering in indignation.

“I did not touch your plot! My hoof didn't even get near there!”

Trixie took off her hat and cape tossing them to the ground like she was preparing for a fight, stalking forward and tapping her hoof into the chest of the offending guard.

“Just because you're going to put me into custody doesn't mean that you can sexually harass me!”

The guard's expression became all the more panicked as he backed away from Trixie.

“I...I...no! I didn't touch you! I swear!”

“A likely story! The Great and Powerful Trixie recognizes a stallion's lustful desires when she sees them.”

“This is insane! I don't have any lustful desires!”

“Well, you did last week when we were at the tavern...” His partner commented.

“You're not helping!”

Trixie glanced back at Rising Note, who had scooped up her hat and cloak and trotted away while the crowd was focused on her own antics and the arguing that was now flying back and forth between the two guards.

With her necessary deception accomplished, Trixie decided to play along for now holding up her forelegs.

“Very well! The Great and Powerful Trixie will follow along with you for now, if only to prove this accusation is completely baseless!”

She allowed herself to be led away, hoping that she had made the correct call.

- - - -

Thorn watched Trixie get escorted away by the guards, a smile playing across her muzzle as she hopped down from the cart and trotted after the pegasus that had taken the magicians' clothing.

Nopony else had seen the switch, being focused on the fighting instead, but she had the proper training to pick up on what was, quite frankly, an embarrassing attempt at misdirection. As she broke around the corner she was joined by two stallions, another earth pony and a pegasus.

“What in Tartarus was that?” She glared at them.

The slate gray pegasus swung his one good eye Thorn's way, the frown that was already on his muzzle growing all the deeper. His mood was about as dower as the billowing storm cloud cutie-mark that was emblazoned on his flanks. Storm Front was aptly named.

"That was an ursa minor."

"I know it was an usra minor. Why were you two idiots leading it into town?"

“We came up with a plan. It was a decisive plan. Better than your plan. Would have dealt with Trixie on a permanent basis.”

Thorn paused in mid step, turning her head to glare at him.

“This is not a kill operation. My organization does not conduct assassinations. Far too much heat.”

The earth pony, dark brown puddle cutie-mark clashing against his light tan coat flashed a grin that was more of a leer than anything, his eyes roaming over every inch of her body even as he talked.

“But that's why this would have worked! Lulamoon dies in an ursa minor attack. Nothing can be tied back to you.” Muddy Waters commented as he leered.

Thorn was back to grinding her teeth. Picking her next words carefully, she spoke slowly and deliberately emphasizing each word as if she was speaking to children.

“Large monsters do not wander out of the Everfree often and even an ursa minor could leave a rather large body count. And large body counts lead to investigations, because the princesses do not like to see their little ponies get hurt. And if you two think that you're good enough to hide from the likes of that, you're even dumber than you look!”

Storm Front whirled around in mid step, poking a hoof into Thorn's chest.

“I. Do not. Work. For you. I work for Bayou Runner. And if he tells me to make sure that Lulamoon does not breathe again, then that's what I do.”

Thorn hissed back, letting her fangs show.

“That is IT! I am one hundred and ten percent done with you sputtering, incompetent sorry excuses for body guard rental ponies! Two bloody weeks we've been chasing that damn mare, and you two have probably been undermining me the whole damn time!”

Muddy Waters chuckled. “Oh, you'll get paid either way. Why do you even care?”

“Because I'm a professional, which is more than I can say for you two!”

Giving her tail a flick of annoyance, Thorn flipped a small magical sphere that was hidden in her tail hair out into her hoof.

“Good luck finding your own way back.” She snarled as she smashed the sphere with her hoof.

The stored transportation spell completed itself as the glass broke, causing her to vanish with a soft pop of light.

- - - -

Thorn reappeared in the basement of the Neigh Orleans manor house that served both as her personal home and as the Lernerian headquarters in the city. Stomping for the stairs, a flash of green magic gave her a quick costume change into her Neigh Orleans guise; an elegant sandstone coated, yellow maned pegasus mare.

She moved through the house, past the dust covered furniture that hadn't been cleaned since she started chasing after Trixie. Her frown grew even deeper.

Where in Tartarus is Shaderoot? She was supposed to watch the house while I was away!

The answer to that question was waiting by the door for her in the form of a hoof scrawled note. She scanned it quickly, the relevant points leaping out at her. Shaderoot had left for Las Pegasus because she could make more money there, instead of being a “dead end city” like Neigh Orleans.

Fuming all the more she stomped out of her house and began to fly across town, towards the house of her soon to be ex-client.

Bayou Runner's house wasn't as elaborate as many of the sprawling and grandiose constructions that were all so common on the city by the river, instead being a two story (not counting the basement) square brick and mortar building set right in the heart of the Quarter.

Dropping neatly onto the front step, she hammered her hoof against the door and waited. A moment later the door swung open, revealing a white coated unicorn stallion with a ridiculously poofy looking light purple mane.

At the first sight of Thorn a pained wince crossed his features, ears folding back as he took a step away from the door.

“A-ah, M-miss Sandstone. T-to w-w-what do I o-owe the p-pleasure?”

“Can it Night Shade. Where's Bayou Runner?”

“H-he's in the d-dra-a-w-wing r-room. But you-you r-really shouldn't...”

Thorn was already pushing past him heading straight for the drawing room, a look of sheer murder on her own features. Stepping into said room, her eyes locked onto the target of her ire.

The stallion's coat was a deep muddy brown color, his short cut mane and tail the same green color as the moss that grew on the trees of the swamps that surrounded the city; his cutie-mark was a cluster of swamp reeds. His gatsby cap was neatly perched between his ears and a cigar was clamped firmly between his teeth as he sat on one of the low set couches scattered about the room.

Bayou Runner. Kingpin of Neigh Orleans.

He was currently holding court, half a dozen tough looking ponies scattered about the room, standing and sitting. Thugs and street level soldiers mostly. Bayou Runner smiled widely.

"Why Miss Sandstone, what brings you..."

"You and I need to talk. Alone."

Thorn knew full well that the pony in front of her was one of Equestria's most notorious criminals, always dancing outside of reach of the guard, both local and royal; he was also completely ruthless. Thorn also knew that the secret to his success was herself and the rest of her cell. Hiding evidence, burying leads. That sort of thing.

"Take a walk around the block boys. I can handle this."

The thugs got to their hooves and filed out of the room and then out of the building entirely. Bayou Runner's previous smile became wide and fake as he carefully placed the cigar down on an ash tray.

“Well Thorn, what brings you to my house? I thought you were busy taking care of that problem I hired you to take care of.”

“I am severing that contract. And you can go ahead and forget the usual retainer. I am done with you.”

The smile seemed to grow even more fake, while his voice stayed almost unnervingly polite.

“Now why would you want to go and do something like that? Has not our relationship been profitable for both of us? Surely you wouldn't want to do something so foolish?”

“Save your veiled threats for somepony else, Runner. I've been chased through the jungle by Queen Chrysalis and a horde of her changelings, so you won't be able to frighten me.”

She began to pace around the couch, keeping her eyes locked on him as she spoke.

“It's very simple. You provide the Lernerians with a target and what your problem is. We deal with it. You pay us when the job is done. That is the only agreement that we allow.”

Completing her circuit she slammed her fore hooves on the coffee table, crushing the cigar and grinding it into the the ashtray as she let her form snap back to it's natural state.

“So, mister Runner. Tell me why I shouldn't unleash my cell upon your business, overturning every rotten log and exposing every dark secret you have to the authorities for daring to undermine my organization and my authority!”

The fake smile was gone as he got to his hooves and trotted over to another table where a box of cigars was resting.

“Because. I'll triple your original fee.”

“Excuse me?”

Bayou Runner blinked. “I do not believe I stuttered. I need the evidence Trixie has of my activities destroyed. Artifact smuggling is not something Celestia takes lightly. So, this needs to happen. And I'm willing to pay extra bits for you to look the other way and help make sure that Trixie dies.”

“That is not how we operate.” She growled.

“Let's analyze that statement, shall we?” He calmly asked as he carefully looked over each cigar in the box. “That giant manor house you live in is expensive to maintain. And some of my boys tell me that it's been getting rather dilapidated as of late...”

Having found a cigar that met his tastes, he snatched it up and motioned to Thorn with it like it was a classroom pointer.

“Not enough bits to maintain your grounds. Cell can't be that large then, assuming that there is anypony else aside from you. Not to mention we're so far away from the major centers of action or the borders. Very few options for contracts. Which is why your biggest contract right now is a smuggler. Instead of being out there, being a spy, playing the grand game and raking in the bits like your fellows in Canterlot.”

“You...”

“So, let's say I were to offer you triple to finish this job, and to do it my way. I have a way to deal with Lulamoon that will be nice and clean. It'll look like an accident and you'll walk away with a nice payday. Your superiors will never have to know and you'll be in the black again.”

Thorn's eyes narrowed.

“What makes you think that I can be so easily bought?”

Bayou Runner's laugh was almost a cackle.

“Oh, that you can say that with a straight face! If you couldn't be easily bought, you would still be working for Queen Magnolia instead of being a spy for hire.”

Clamping the cigar in his teeth, he pressed a hoof against the lever of the ornate desktop cigar lighter. As the flame sprung into being, he slowly and deliberately lit the cigar before turning his gaze back towards Thorn.

“If your values are already for sale, which they are- and let's not do the dance of pretending that they aren't- why is a larger pile of bits so unable to move you into making an exception just this once?”

Thorn frowned, shuffling her right hoof along the floor for a few moments before responding.

“Triple you say?”

“Triple.”

“...Fine. Just this once.”

This time, the smile was genuine.

“Wait here then.”

He strode from the room, leaving Thorn alone with her thoughts.

- - - -

The vault's entrance was hidden in the laundry room.

Not out of direct choice but more due to fact that the walls on that side of the house had been built thicker by the original builders. And considering the nature of what Bayou Runner kept locked away, that was where the vault needed to be.

Bayou Runner collected artifacts and items of magical power. Most were to sell to other ponies who wanted a boost of magical power, or who wanted to study the antiquities of eras long past. But he always kept a few pieces for himself.

Ancient rune-stone formula from the North Griffon Confederation, hieroglyphic tablets and enchanted golden torcs from Dromedus, were mixed in with a collection of oddly carved stones from the Badlands on the same shelf. Vases and ornate spears from the Three Kingdoms were tucked into corners, while tiger armor from Inj stood on stands next to suits from Neighppon.

His eyes roamed over the small collection of cursed items at his disposal as he mulled over the possibilities. He briefly considered using the Alicorn Amulet, it's dark red gem glittering in the room's light from it's position in it's velvet lined box, but he pushed that idea from his mind. No guarantee of death. Besides he wanted Trixie gone not an all powerful megalomaniac.

Instead his eyes fell upon the necklace of cruel dark gray steel, set with a single diamond shaped black crystal that rested in the next box. The most dangerous item in his collection by far and for a very good reason. It would twist and burrow into Trixie's magic aura, turning her illusions against her while draining her life force to fuel it. It would be a slow and painful death, over the period of a few days.

He glanced towards Night Shade, the coward looking ready to pass out from just being in the same room as the item.

“Do yer job Night Shade. Make it look nice and harmless.”

Night Shade gulped, his horn lighting up as he wrapped an enchantment around the necklace. The gray steel became glittering gold, the black crystal a clear and brilliant sapphire. With a final nervous gulp, Night Shade tied off the enchantment.

“T-there you go boss. T-the e-enchantment should hold un-unless s-some p-pony dispels it.”

“That'll do Night Shade. Now go pass out in your bedroom like a good little worker.”

Sliding the lid onto the box, Bayou Runner carefully picked the whole affair up before returning to the drawing room where Thorn was still waiting.

“This box contains an amulet that'll kill the mare. Meet back up with my boys, get it to her, then get me my evidence. And then you'll have your bits.”

Thorn took the box in her hooves as she flapped her wings, taking to the air.

“Fine. But screw me on this one Runner, and I'll make sure that you'll never be out of an Equestrian jail again.”

She flew for the front door, Bayou Runner watching her go with a horrible glare.

“Dumb bug.”

- - - -

The roar of the crowd echoed through the grand halls of the theatre as Trixie took a bow with her mother. They were dressed in matching purple bestarred hats and cloaks, complete with purple and silver trimmed undershirts.

They had just completed their set and the crowd was eating it up, cheering for an encore. They straightened up, preparing to move into a final trick when the sound of shearing metal cut through the air.

She heard the scream of panic from her mother followed by the sensation of being shoved forward off the stage. The crash of metal on wood and a scream of pain came a second later. Trixie shakily got to her hooves, turning to see the scene of horror laid out before her.

The rigging and scaffolding above the stage had broken loose crushing and pinning her mother to the stage some of the bits of metal having pierced her side. She wasn't moving.

“Momma...no.” Trixie moaned as she stumbled forward, grabbing one of her mother's fore-hooves. “Momma, please get up.”

The tears began to flow as she continued to shake her mother's body.

“Please! Just get up!”

She could feel her grandfather's hooves pulling her away, even as she tried to pull her mother's body out from under the wreck of twisted metal.

Trixie awoke with a start, the hard wood of the jail house bench against her barrel reminding her where she was. She wiped her eyes with the back of her foreleg whisking away the tears before rolling off of the bench and deciding to sit on her haunches on the floor instead.

Two days she had been in here while Hoofington searched every inch of her cart for evidence that she had been the one that robbed the town treasury. Now it was just a matter of waiting to see how thoroughly she had actually been framed. The guard would probably have news with her breakfast.

Soon enough, two guards came walking down the hallway. No tray of breakfast was with them this time. That was a good sign. Sure enough, they were soon unlocking the door to her cell. Not that thoroughly it seemed.

“All right Lulamoon, you're free to go. Cape is at the front desk, cart is waiting outside. I'd advise not coming through Hoofington again if you're planning to cause trouble.”

“Wouldn't dream of it.” Trixie deadpanned as she trotted for the front desk.

Quickly grabbing and fastening her cape around her neck she strode out of the guard station and over to her cart. A search of the internal contents revealed that everything was still in place, so she slipped into the pulling harness and made for the road leading out of town. She still had to find Rising Note.

She was a little bit outside of the town limits when she felt something get yanked onto her head. Yelping in shock, she twisted to see who was attacking her only to hear a giggle and see the musician pegasus walking along side her.

“I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to get out of there.”

Trixie smiled as she tilted her hat back into it's proper position on her head.

“I was worried that you weren't going to show. You were being asked to trust some strange mare you just met.”

Rising Note chuckled.

“True. But I had a good feeling about you. Reading ponies is something else I'm good at.” She tilted her head to the side as she observed the unicorn. “Where are you heading anyway?”

“Canterlot. I need to speak with someone important.”

“Really now? About those papers you had me help keep away from those hired goons that tried to follow me that night?”

Trixie raised an eyebrow.

“Perhaps.”

“Why not give those papers to the authorities, if people are sending hired goons after you over them?”

“Authorities can't be trusted on this.”

“But random fiddle playing pegasai can?”

Trixie sighed. “Look, there is only one pony I trust to give these papers to in an official capacity and that's Princess Celestia.”

Trixie expected the pegasai to laugh at the idea of her being able to somehow get an audience with the princess. Instead she just smiled slightly.

“If I were you then, I'd stop at Ponyville along the way.”

“Ponyville? Why?”

“Well, aside from the fact it has easy train access to Canterlot, there's also the fact that Princess Celestia's prized pupil lives there. If anyone can get you access to her it would be Twilight Sparkle.”

Trixie blinked.

“Twilight Sparkle eh?”

She smiled at Rising Note. “Thanks. You certainly are perceptive for a musician.”

Rising Note just smiled as she took to the air.

“It's a gift. Good luck Trixie.”

As she winged her way back towards Hoofington, Trixie held her head a little higher as she headed for her new destination.

Author's Note:

Fic number three baby!

Readers who have been paying attention to my previous fics in this timeline will have noticed that I dropped a line back in A Skitch in Time that Trixie had not shown up in the proper episode order. And now we see why! Crime bosses, artifact smuggling and other shenanigans.

Those who have read my Lunaverse fic probably recognize some of the names of the background ponies. Another little intentional nod to my own work.

And five internet points to the reader who can guess the villain who made the necklace!