• Published 13th Nov 2013
  • 4,316 Views, 113 Comments

Lunar Engagement - Azure Sandora



Twilight forms an unusual bond with the Princess of the Night that will not only save all of Equestria, but also teach her the meaning of strength.

  • ...
23
 113
 4,316

April: One Wish

April of Beginnings: One Wish

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes heroes are big, strong, and courageous. Sometimes heroes are chosen by destiny, and have a great power that they can use to defeat their opponent. But often times, heroes aren't anyone special. Often, they were just living their life, and when disaster struck they were the one who answered the call.

Sometimes, heroes are born. Often times, heroes are awakened.

That was what went into Twilight Sparkle's mind as she ran through Canterlot Castle, surrounded by changelings. These creatures had taken over Canterlot, stolen the Elements of Harmony, kidnapped her foal sitter and her brother, and Princess Celestia, and worse of all, her friends.

She was alone now, unable to draw from the power of the Elements of Harmony. The only one she could count on was herself, and her own magic.

Two changelings ran down the hall after her. As they ran they fired green bolts of magic from their horns at the lavender unicorn. She ran to the sides dodging them, and turned a corner. When they turned down after her, she fired purple blasts at them out of her horn, knocking them out.

Two down, over a hundred to go.

She turned down the hall and continued her gallop through the castle. Ahead of her she saw three more changelings galloping over to her. Twilight jumped over them and fired magical bolts at them, knocking them down as she flew over head.

She rolled on the ground and continued running. She wouldn't stop until she knew that the Princess and her friends were safe. She wouldn't stop until she drove Chrysalis out of her former home. She wouldn't stop until she saved Canterlot.

She turned down the hallway, stopping when she saw the throne room. Inside she saw her friends trapped in cocoons on the ceiling, and Princess Celestia chained to the floor. Trotting around her, was Queen Chrysalis. She was a larger changeling, built like Celestia but with bug like features.

"So now I have you," Chrysalis bragged, "Princess Cadence, Shining Armor, and the Elements of Harmony."

"You won't get away with this!" Celestia screamed pulling at her chains. Normally she would have gotten free, but the inhibitor ring kept her from breaking her bindings.

Chrysalis laughed evilly, "Who can possibly stop me?" she asked, "I have all the guards under my control, and by now my children have broken through the shield and took over the city. Your city now belongs to me."

"You forgot one pony!" Twilight shouted stepping out of her hiding place. Chrysalis turned to her and sneered.

"The Element of Magic? Twilight Sparkle, was it?" she asked, "You were the only one who saw through my disguise."

"It wasn't difficult," Twilight said, "You did a poor job mimicking the original."

"It was enough to fool your stupid brother," Chrysalis stated, angering Twilight.

"The only reason he was fooled was because of your magic!" Twilight proclaimed, "He would never be fooled by such an obvious trick usually!"

"Twilight, please run!" Celestia cried, "She's too powerful now!"

"I can do it!" Twilight stated, glaring at the changeling queen, "She's no match for my magic."

"Strong words," Chrysalis said trotting around Twilight, "But you should listen to your Princess. She's already aware of my might."

"Your might is phony," Twilight said, "and I'm going to prove it!"

Twilight began firing at Chrysalis, who flew up to the ceiling and fired her own green beam out at Twilight. Twilight jumped back and began charging up her magic. When Chrysalis charged down to her, Twilight held up her horn, creating a magical sword from her horn to block. She then clashed her magical blade with Chrysalis' horn.

The fight lasted for a minute or so, during this time Pinkie Pie opened her eyes from inside her cocoon prison.

"Twilight? Hey girls, Twilight's fighting Chrysalis!" Pinkie Pie called out, catching the attention of her friends.

"Twilight is what?" Rarity asked.

"Ah see her! She's doin it!" Applejack said.

"Come on Twilight! Kick her butt!" Rainbow Dash cheered, Fluttershy nodding in agreement next to her.

Now her friends were cheering loudly for her as she fought the changeling queen. It empowered her, giving her the strength of a thousand alicorns.

I can do this, Twilight thought. I can defeat her!

Twilight pushed Chrysalis back, and then charged up her magic, "I told you," Twilight proclaimed, "You're no match for my magic!"

Twilight then fired her magic at the changeling queen, pushing her back into the wall. The cocoons broke, and one by one all of her friends broke free and landed on the floor (poor Rarity ended up becoming Applejack's pillow as the latter fell from her cocoon).

The chains around Celestia's hooves dissolved, and she reached up and pulled off the inhibitor ring on her horn as Chrysalis tried to stand. Twilight trotted over to her, charging her magic as she did so.

"Such power..." Chrysalis said, "Who are you...?"

"I'm Twilight Sparkle," Twilight proclaimed, "The Element of Magic."

She then fired her magic right at the changeling queen, making her dissolve just like the chains she used before on the Princess. Twilight took a deep breath in relief as it hit her. She did it. She saved Canterlot.

"Twilight!" Rainbow Dash called out, catching Twilight's attention. Twilight turned around smiling as her friends all ran over to her and hugged her. She even saw Shining Armor and Cadence walk in as well.

"You did it, Twilie!" Shining Armor shouted happily.

"I never had any doubt in you," Cadence said with a sweet smile.

"Twilight, you're the greatest pony in the world!" Pinkie Pie said happily.

"We would have been goners without you," Rarity added.

"I wasn't scared..." Fluttershy said softly, "Well, maybe a little. But I knew you could do it."

"Ya really pulled through," Applejack said, "Ah just wish we were better friends to ya."

"It's okay," Twilight said standing up, "I'm just glad that you guys are safe."

"Twilight Sparkle," Celestia said trotting over to Twilight, who immediately bowed before the regal alicorn, "Arise, brave pony."

Twilight stood up and smiled proudly, "Are you alright, Princess?"

"We all are," Celestia said, "And we have you to thank for that. You showed courage beyond anything I ever saw, and although it was reckless to challenge her alone, your actions save all of Canterlot. Twilight Sparkle, you truly are a hero."

"A... hero... me?" Twilight asked, unable to believe it.

"Yeah Twilight," Shining Armor said, "You did something not even I could do. You defeated the changeling queen. I'm proud to have you as my sister, Twilight."

That's when it hit her fully. She wasn't just regular Twilight Sparkle anymore. Now she was Twilight Sparkle, Hero of Equestria.

...ight...

...Twi...ght...

"Twilight!"

"Huh?!" Twilight said, waking up from her fantasy.

"We're here," Spike said. Twilight looked out the window of the train and saw Canterlot in the distance. Thankfully changeling free, but not due to her efforts like she wanted to believe. Reality was, she only made the situation worse. She wasn't Twilight Sparkle, Hero of Equestria.

Aside from being the Element of Magic, aside from being Celestia's student, she was just Twilight Sparkle.


"Sister, what is troubling you," Luna said to her elder sister, who was once again looking up at the statue of Discord. As usual her elder sister had a look of longing on her face.

"I don't remember how it felt..." Celestia said softly, "It's been so long since I felt his presence. When he was freed, I didn't feel the pull toward him."

Luna looked down in sadness, "The contract was broken by your actions. Besides, that's no longer the Discord you know."

Celestia closed her eyes and shed a single tear. Luna had never found the one she was bound to, so she didn't know how her sister felt.

"Luna, you feel it too, don't you?" Celestia asked.

"I do," Luna said with a nod, "When do you think the first one will appear?"

"Soon," Celestia said, "I wish I could join you in this fight but..."

"It's fine," Luna said seriously, "I'm sure I can find a way."

"You haven't found your Sheik yet," Celestia said as Luna walked off, "You'll need to find them if you're going to-"

"I already chose the one I want," Luna said, stopping to turn to her elder sister, "I just hope you won't be displeased with my choice."

"So you really are going to pick her?" Celestia asked.

"I can't get her out of my head," Luna admitted, "The desire to be next to her is driving me crazy."

"She will never agree to it on her own, you know," Celestia said with a smile, "She has too much respect for us. She would rather be your Serf, not the other way around."

Luna smiled, "That may be, but I've already made my choice. I will not be swayed. She is my Shiek."

With that, Luna walked back into the castle. Sadly, once an alicorn found her Shiek, she could have no other. Celestia would never feel the joys of having a Shiek again, and Luna was the only pure blooded alicorn left in Equestria, as Cadence was formerly a pegasus pony. The fate of the world rested solely on her hooves, and whether or not the one she chose would accept her.


Twilight and Spike got off the train and immediately started making their way to the castle. After the events of the wedding she needed a change of scenery. She felt bad leaving her friends behind, but they said that they would visit her later in the year.

"A whole year..." Twilight said to herself.

"You sure you want to take an entire year off?" Spike asked, "This is a long time."

"I know," Twilight said, "But I need this time to myself. I need to reconnect with home, you know?"

"Yeah, it has been a while since we were here," Spike said, "Are you sure the library will be okay without you there?"

"Lyra said she'd cover for me," Twilight said with a smile, "I'm sorry that we have to be so far away from the others though. You could have stayed with Rarity, you know. You didn't have to come with me."

"But that would mean we'd be apart for an entire year," Spike said, "I love Rarity, but you the one I grew up with. I'm not going to spend an entire year away from you even if I could spend the entire year with Rarity."

That was actually really touching to Twilight, knowing that he'd rather be with her for a year than Rarity. She liked Rarity, but she had always felt a tad bit of jealousy at how much Spike really liked her.

After a few more minutes of walking, Twilight and Spike arrived at the castle. She wouldn't be living here. Instead she would have her own place. Princess Celestia wanted to help her get settled into her new place for the year, and Twilight wanted to ensure she was doing okay.

As they approached the door, they were greeted by the sight of Princess Luna. Unlike Celestia, Luna came closer to Twilight's height, even if she was still taller. Her mane was dark blue, and sparkled like the night sky. Wearing her royal regalia, Luna was a sight to see.

What surprised Twilight was that she was the one waiting for her, not Princess Celestia. Was something wrong?

"It's good to see you arrived safely, Twilight Sparkle," Luna said. Twilight bowed in honor of the Princess of the Night, making said princess chuckle, "There is no need for such formalities. As far as I know, you and I are equals."

"Oh, that's good to hear," Twilight said softly, knowing that she'd never see herself as equal to the princess, let alone Luna. Sure, she knew Luna really well, but she was still a princess, an alicorn with enough power to level all of Canterlot.

"Um, why are you here?" Spike asked, shocking Twilight to no end, "Shouldn't Princess Celestia be here?"

"Spike!" Twilight called out, making Luna laugh even more.

"It's fine, Twilight. I know this is strange. Truth is, there is something I wish to talk to you about. Um, shall we talk on the way?" Luna asked. Twilight took a deep breath, nodding, and trotted after the Princess of the Night.

"So, how are you adjusting these days?" Twilight asked after a while.

"Much better," Luna said, "As you can see, I have stopped using the royal Canterlot Voice. Also, Celestia has taught me much in interacting with pesa- um, sorry, locals is what Celestia calls them now."

It always struck Twilight how different Luna was to Celestia. She wondered if Celestia was at all like this one thousand years ago. She couldn't imagine that though.

"Will you attend the next Nightmare Night?" Spike asked.

"I might. Truth is, I had a good time at the last one, after I stopped taking the story of Nightmare Moon so personally that is."

"Yeah, but even I'm shocked by how wrong we got it," Twilight said, "I mean, where did we get the whole 'eating foals' bit?"

"Honestly, I don't have an answer to that," Luna laughed, "I promise you, Nightmare Moon was a herbivore like all ponies in Equestria."

"That's good," Twilight said, "The thought of eating meat is just... ugh..."

They were silent for a few seconds, as Luna looked down seriously.

"I wish to thank you, Twilight Sparkle."

"Thank me? Why?" Twilight asked.

"You were my friend when no one else would be," Luna said somberly, "I'll admit, at first I thought I'd hate you, after you defeated me as Nightmare Moon, but once I got to know you, I saw that you were actually a pony I could really grow to like."

"Oh Princess, that was nothing," Twilight said, "That was in the past. You shouldn't be held accountable for-"

"No!" Luna said stopping Twilight, "It isn't nothing! If it weren't for you, I'd be alone! You saved my life twice, Twilight Sparkle. Once by defeating the nightmare, and again by holding out your hoof in friendship."

"Princess..." Twilight said softly, once she realized how serious she was. She never gave it too much thought, but what she did for Luna was pretty major, seeing how no one else was willing to extend their hoof out to help her.

"As you have saved my life twice, I wish to do something for you as well," Luna said, shocking Twilight.

"That's alright, Princess," Twilight said shaking her head, "I didn't help you for payment or anything."

"Even still, I wouldn't feel right otherwise," Luna said reaching into her wing and pulling out a small golden bracelet. On the front center of it was a purple star shaped gemstone.

"It's pretty..." Spike said as he and Twilight looked at it dreamingly, "Can I eat it?"

"No Spike, you can't," Twilight said looking back at Luna, "Are you giving this to me?"

"Yes, as a symbol of our growing friendship. The gemstone in the center is called a Crystal Star, and it's very important to alicorns such as myself."

She was giving Twilight something so precious? She felt horrible, knowing how important this was to Luna.

"Princess, I couldn't take something so valuable-"

"This isn't for me to keep, Twilight Sparkle. It exists for me to give. The Crystal Star is a symbol of the bond between alicorns such as myself and the ponies of Equestria. Please, Twilight, I insist. Take it."

She still felt weird taking something so important, but Twilight took the bracelet with her magic and put it on her front right hoof. Surprisingly it fit her perfectly, and it even looked nice on her.

"I love this, Princess. Thank you," Twilight said sweetly. Luna nodded smiling and trotted onward to where Twilight would be staying. After walking for a few more minutes they came across a really nice mansion. The architecture was similar to the castle, and it had to have at least four floors. Was she staying here?

"There is enough for you," Luna explained, "Spike, and possibly six other ponies to stay here, should your friends decide to come and stay as well."

"Princess, this is too much..." Twilight said mesmerized, "Thank you."

"That much you should thank Celestia," Luna said, "She wanted you to have the best, but she felt that putting you in a library would be redundant."

"Tell me about it," Spike said, "Seriously, I see so many books that I dream about them at night."

"That can't be a bad thing," Twilight said shaking her head. She then turned to Luna, "Um, my luggage is-"

"Already inside," Luna said, "I had someone get you situated in while we talked."

"So that's why we took the long way..." Spike said thoughtfully.

"Well, this really means a lot to me," Twilight said, "Thank you, both you and Princess Celestia."

Luna nodded smiling and Twilight began making her way into her mansion.

"That stone has a second use, by the way," Luna called out, stopping Twilight again. She turned around and looked at Luna quizzically.

"A second use?" Twilight asked.

"Haven't you ever heard of wishing on a star?" Luna asked, "That's where the phrase came from. Any wish you make on that star will come true."

"Any wish at all?" Twilight said looking at the Crystal Star.

"If you ever are in trouble," Luna explained, "Make a wish on that. I don't care what it is, or where you are at the time. If you make a wish on that, I'll come running to your aid."

Twilight was shocked by Luna's statement. Not only did she tell Twilight she could wish for anything, but she would also come to her aid if she needed. Luna giggled and looked at Twilight sweetly.

"You should think hard about your wish," Luna said, "I promise you, it will come true. Until then, you know where I am, Twilight Sparkle."

"I do, and thanks again Princess," Twilight said. Luna bowed to Twilight and trotted back to the castle. Twilight turned to look at her mansion, amazed that she would be living here for an entire year.

"So, are we going in?" Spike asked, getting a nod from Twilight.

"Yeah, let's go." Twilight said. As Spike ran in, Twilight found herself looking down at the Crystal Star again. Would her wish really come true? She didn't know. One thing was for sure though. She had a feeling that this was going to be an interesting year.

Author's Note:

This is my attempt at a comeback. Please be kind. Constructive criticism is great, praise is nice too, but flames will be deleted on the spot. I'm sorry, but I had to deal with a few of those with Inner Demons II, and they all but killed that story for me, so no flames.

Sorry if I'm being immature, but I have to get control of my depression, and this is the only way I can think to do so.