• Published 12th Nov 2013
  • 1,823 Views, 62 Comments

The Scratch Ends Here - TigerSwirl448



Octavia must protect Vinyl from a secret serial killer and nurse her back to health in secret. But by protecting Vinyl, Octavia might have put herself in danger as well.

  • ...
3
 62
 1,823

Chapter 1: Reunite

The Scratch Ends Here

By: TigerSwirl448

Edited by: Xhoral1865 & Roybgp

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (c) Lauren Faust & Hasbro


Chapter 1

Reunite


“Are you certain we should do this?” Octavia asked at least the tenth time that morning as she gathered her things. She turned to the white unicorn to see her lounging on their bed. With her magic, the unicorn floated the soda can up to her lips. The DJ grinned after a carbonated sip.

“You worry too much, Tavi. Come on, this is your chance, and mine too. I heard this dude can grab the bucks, you know what I’m sayin’?” Vinyl chuckled as she took another sip from her soda, tipping it back to let a drop land on her tongue. She made a pout tossing the can to the small waste basket near the bathroom.

Octavia bit her lip with worry. Not worried about her dear obnoxious friend but mostly this special agent Vinyl just met. Octavia didn't even know anything about him- she didn't know his name, or his recent clients, or even what he looked like, let alone what type of pony he was. Neither did Vinyl and that was the cause of Octavia's worries.

“I’m just concerned for you,” Octavia said with concern. “I’ve never heard of this stallion before and... I don’t know.”

Vinyl sat up and walked over to the edge of the bed and reached over to ruffle Octavia’s hair. “Aw come on Tavi, no need to worry you’re pretty little head. I’ll be fine.”

Octavia quirked her eyebrow at her, her signal for “Really?”

Vinyl got that look a lot. She sat back on her haunches crossing her legs over her chest. “Besides you have your group to play with. I think I should be worried about that Beauty Brass. Are you sure she’s an old friend of yours and not an Old friend?”

Octavia blushed harshly at the statement. Back in college when Octavia started to realize she had feelings for other mares she and Beauty Brass, a very close childhood friend, became intimate, only for a few months. But Octavia had to break it off all because of her snooty mother and the links she had to higher ponies and threatened to ruin any pony she had a problem with. Beauty Brass was one of those ponies her mother disliked.

Octavia swatted at Vinyl to quit her jokes.

Vinyl dodged the attack, laughing. She stood on her back hooves then made a stance like a ninja.

Octavia smirked at her. “You’ve been watching too many of those ninja movies again, haven't you?”

Vinyl sat down with a snort. “I’m the best ninja, right?” She asked making another pose kicking at invisible foes.

Octavia reached for a shirt and threw it at Vinyl’s head making her yelp in shock. She sat down to pull off the shirt from her head. Octavia couldn’t help but giggle at her mare friend’s face.

“I’m really going to miss you, Vinyl,” Octavia said softly.

Vinyl frowned, turning to the window. “Yeah, I’m going to miss you, too. I just wish we could you know... act like old times?” She asked making a small smile.

Octavia sighed. “I know... five years went by so fast and we both did well with our careers up to this point. But we both-”

Vinyl threw the shirt back at Octavia, who ducked, watching the shirt fly into the closet.

“That’s enough with the sappy talk! I hate it when we get so sappy!”

Octavia sighed, trying hard not to cry again. She had just gotten herself under control earlier that morning. Vinyl sighed and leapt off the bed to hug the grey pony.

“Hey, listen to this, if our tours end up at the same town, I’ll watch your concert and then you watch mine, dig?” Vinyl asked stroking Octavia’s cheek. “Come on Tavi, don’t cry before heading out for the world. A'right?”

Octavia chuckled with a sniff. “You always make the bleakest of moments cheerful again.”

Vinyl grinned. “There we go, that’s the spirit! Now, let me help you pack the rest of your things and we’ll head for the train station,” Octavia let Vinyl help her pack up her things then they headed for the main room where the cello case was sitting, ready to go. Vinyl used her magic to levitate the case so Octavia wouldn’t have to carry it. The two walked out of their apartment, down the elevator, and then headed for the train station. Once there, the waterworks fired back up again.

Beauty Brass was already there and grinned seeing Octavia walking over with Vinyl.

“Oh there you are, darling, I was afraid you'd miss the train. Oh, and Vinyl Scratch is it?” Octavia smiled sadly. She nodded none the less. Beauty Brass was always so busy with her training in college that she hardly ever joined the rest of the ensemble in parties and never had the chance to actually meet Vinyl in pony.

Vinyl set the case down nearby checking out this light blue earth pony wondering if she’s really going to take care of Octavia, no matter what stories Octavia told her. “Yeah, and you’re Beauty Brass, right?” She asked with a scrutinized eyebrow.

Beauty Brass smiled and nodded. “Why yes I am. It’s nice to finally get to meet you; Octavia has told me so much about you.”

Vinyl grinned in spite of the blush working on her cheeks. "They better be good things." Vinyl joked as Octavia blushed.

Beauty Brass chuckled at the joke as she reached for Octavia’s things. “I’ll give these to the conductor so you two can have some time before we go. Oh, and Octavia, we’ll be roommates just like in college! How fun will that be?”

Octavia sniffed with a smile. “Oh yes, it will be grand. Oh, and thank you, Brass.”

“It’s no trouble dear. You have a few minutes left,” Brass and the conductor took Octavia’s things to the train.

Octavia sighed turning back to Vinyl. The two stood there in silence trying hard not to cry.

Vinyl sighed. “Look, Octavia, we’ll see each other again, I know it.” She said watching as Octavia bowed her head sniffing. “Hey come on, we still have our old numbers remember? Those old cell phones we had back then are now gaining back popularity. I still have my old number.”

Octavia looked up at her smiling. “You’re right; we still have a way of talking.” She sniffed wiping her eyes.

Vinyl nuzzled her cheek then wrapped her in a tight hug, feeling tears begin to form in her eyes.

Octavia hugged back strongly. “I’m going to really miss you.” She whispered. Vinyl didn't say anything for a long moment.

“All aboard!” The conductor called out. Octavia jumped at the surprise call.

“Not yet!” She whispered. "It's just too soon!"

Vinyl pulled away from her with a half-hearted cocky grin. “Well, it’s time.”

Octavia groaned and kissed Vinyl on the lips. She kissed back making sure it would be remembered forever if possible.

When they parted Vinyl smiled warmly at her, taking off her glasses so she could wipe the tears from her rosy eyes.

“Good bye, Vinyl.” Octavia whispered turning away.

Vinyl sniffed, watching Octavia trot to the train. “Hey, Octavia!”

Octavia turned to Vinyl to see her smiling. “We never say good bye unless it’s final,” Octavia watched her in awe. “I’ll see you when I see you!”

Octavia grinned as new tears flowed out of her eyes. “Same old Vinyl,” She whispered as she ran into the train right when the doors shut closed.

Vinyl Scratch sat down hard on the ground watching the train as it slowly gained speed then disappear into the mountain. She let her glasses float back to her face with a heartfelt sigh as she watched the tunnel into the mountain. She let out another sigh trying to control her emotions.

“I’ll see her... Yeah, she’ll be back in no time and then we’ll...” she shook her head starting to cry. “Who am I kidding? She’ll love another pony then... No!” She shook her head again this time hard. “When she’s done she’ll want to come back and so . . . I’ll wait for her. Everything will be back to normal in no time.” Vinyl grinned up at Celestia’s sun feeling its warmth on her face. She turned and start trotting back to the apartment and finish the paper work to sell it off. Tomorrow she’ll be gone too. Her career is finally blasting off.

* * * * * *

Ten Years Later

Octavia opened her eyes after another a long, dreamless night. She sighed turning to see a picture of Vinyl on her night stand. She grinned at the picture. “Hello, Vinyl.” She whispered sitting up, groaning and stretching her sore back. “Ahh, I’m getting too old for this.”

She heard a knock on her door. The door opened with Beauty Brass peeking inside. “Octavia, the boys bought us breakfast. It’s on the table.”

Octavia nodded. “Okay, thank you, Brass. I’ll be up in a minute.” Brass smiled and closed the door behind her.

This was normal routine when the ensemble stopped in another city. This month they had returned to Canterlot for the third time this year. Octavia and Brass would share a room while the stallions took another. Then for three weeks they would stay and play in certain events. Then they would pack up and head for another city or town to play in for another three weeks, then move again. And Octavia had been doing this for ten years and wondered if it would ever end.

Octavia was getting tired, and being tired in this case meant homesickness. She ached to go back to the apartment she shared with Vinyl, but of course she remembered that she and Vinyl agreed to sell the old place because they wouldn't need it anymore. But the thought of that bed or that couch and having that DJ lying next to her made her long for it. But of course she had a job and a career.

She sighed remembering that last kiss they shared at the train station; she shivered closing her eyes, trying to have that memory again. But when she tried to re-envision that memory it felt so stale and stagnate. It was like she couldn't feel those lips on her own anymore. It was nothing but empty air. She turned her head back to the picture of Vinyl grinning with a wink, her shades perched on her forehead. Octavia stroked the glass wishing to hug her again. She shook her head, keeping the tears back. She had to get ready for practice.

She got up and slowly lumbered into the bathroom and started getting ready. Once done with her shower she stood before the mirror to fix her mane, which was starting to become even more grey than she would've liked.

She looked at her face to see lines forming by her eyes and mouth. She sighed shaking her head. Perhaps she could ask her ensemble if it’s not too much to request retirement. She knew she’s not the only one thinking it’s about time to retire and rest.

She grabbed one of her signature bow-ties and clipped it around her neck. She sighed again, shaking her head and turned away from the mirror.

She walked out of her room then into the small kitchenette and saw a bag of donuts. She really didn't care who got what as long as she got her morning breakfast. She could hear the radio playing the gossip of Canterlot. She rolled her eyes, hearing things about Celestia's weight, which was no surprise since that was the most popular topic she heard on these radio shows, but Beauty Brass loved juicy gossip shows like this. Octavia only listened to them hoping for news about Vinyl. Once or twice she heard something but it wasn't enough. Somehow Vinyl was able to keep her private life private from reporters. She shrugged, thinking that Vinyl’s agent must be the reason.

Octavia took the donut sack with her to the couch and sat with Brass as they listened to the radio. Brass noticed how Octavia sat down with a sigh.

“Dear, is everything alright?” She asked concerned.

“Do I look alright?”

“No, you look old and cranky,” Brass said giggling trying to get her friend to smile.

It didn’t work. Octavia took a large bite from a chocolate donut and chewed with a soft sigh though her nose.

“So, we get to play at the gala this year. Aren't you excited?” Brass asked trying again to get a small grin or a smile from her downcast friend.

Octavia gave her a flat look. “No. Not as before. We've played there like how many times?”

“Uh... I lost count after four.”

“Precisely; we've played there four times and now a fifth time.”

Beauty Brass watched her roommate for a moment then pushed the radio remote to mute the sound. “What’s wrong Octavia, you’re acting more cranky than usual.”

Octavia sighed rubbing her forehead from a growing morning headache. “I’m sorry for being blunt but... I’m tired Brass. I just want to go home and be with Vinyl, again,” Brass looked away to wipe her mouth with a napkin.

“Darling, you know Vinyl has a job, too. From the reports I snagged she’s doing well and selling records with her own music. I don’t think she’ll quit any time soon.”

Octavia sighed. “I know... I’m sorry for acting like a spoiled child.”

“No dear, let it out, that’s what I’m here for.” She paused seeing Octavia bow her head, not touching her donut. “If you wish I’ll tell the others that you are not up for practice today.”

Octavia sat up to voice her protest but Brass shook her head. “No Octavia, you deserve a break today. Go to the spa and relax and come back and enjoy the radio. We have already had our days off but you hardly ever rest. It’s no wonder you are cranky and old, you have no rest.”

Octavia blushed brightly from the statement. “Am I that bad?” She asked looking away from her friend.

“Oh, no dear, you just need it, that’s all. Trust me. Now you just sit here and enjoy yourself. I’ll go tell the boys that you are under the weather.”

Octavia watched Beauty Brass trot to the door. “But Beauty Brass I can’t let you-”

“Perish the thought, dear! Go on and take the day off. Get a drink.” Octavia blushed at the comment. “I know you’ll feel better after a good drink at a bar. Have a good rest.” Beauty shut the door before Octavia could react.

She sighed, lying on the couch staring at the donut and took another un-lady like bite, thinking of what to do. She washed her face of the sprinkles then grabbed a coat to keep warm then headed outside into the cool autumn day.

At first, walking through the streets of Canterlot, Octavia started to feel at ease. Beauty Brass was right, she just needed a day off with no stress of perfection or anything. Just a simple day off with the light autumn air blowing through her mane, the smell of food at street vendors, the chattering of ponies talking about the upcoming holidays and parties. It felt refreshing and now Octavia's depressing frown has turned into a happy grin.

She soon walked into the shopping district of Canterlot where the fancy boutiques, liquor stores, and cafés all sat. Octavia sat down on the sidewalk to think about what to do on her day off. She turned to a boutique to see a new autumn line created by the Element of Generosity herself.

Octavia made the decision to go window shopping . Down the sidewalk she walked, looking at the window displays of toys, games, clothing, and food. She just smiled as she watched ponies talking or looking at the displays. She walked past a music store smiling at the display in the window. She glanced up at a colorful sign and turned away. She gasped stopping at mid stride and ran back to the window to see a large poster.

The top of the poster in popping red letters read, DJ-PON-3. Octavia looked at every inch of the poster to read about Vinyl’s latest CD on sale now. At the bottom she could read times for a concert. Vinyl is here in Canterlot debuting her new album at a charitable concert for the homeless. Octavia grinned and looked up at the crazy expression of her frozen mare friend’s face.

“You haven’t changed a bit have you, Vinyl?” She whispered. Vinyl always liked to use her music to help ponies in need. Something to do with her past that Octavia didn't really know about, sadly. Just thinking about that made her wonder about Vinyl's past. The only thing she knew about Vinyl was her old addictions to certain drugs when she was in high school and that her parents were horrible ponies that kicked her out at the moment she turned eighteen. But Vinyl didn't give up and made a promise to help ponies who were like herself, kicked on their flank with nothing.

Octavia's earlier dark thoughts soon vanished, replaced with an idea. She grinned and walked into the music store. Inside she could hear the beat of a song playing on the intercom as she looked around. Sure enough she saw many stallions, mares, fillies, and colts running around the store. Some ponies were listening to music, while others were looking at the different albums and the newest, smaller form of records, the Combat Disc.

Octavia sighed remembering one of Vinyl's dreams. She always dreamed of opening a music store somewhere in Equestria after she was done with being a DJ.

Octavia looked up to see a standing cardboard Vinyl with glow sticks on a string around her neck posing as if frozen in a dance. She smiled imagining Vinyl dancing like that on stage.

Octavia looked to her left to see the Combat Disc version of Vinyl’s album on a shelf. She looked at the price to find the price at twenty bits. She gulped then noticed on another shelf there are Combat Disc players each at least one hundred bits a piece. She smiled and decided to buy Vinyl’s disc and a new Disc player to play it on. Better keep up with the times.

After paying the cashier for the two items, Octavia rushed outside and opened the case to stick the disc into the player. “Okay, now, how do I turn this thing on?” She whispered to herself looking at the object. It's supposed to be a simple device to work with, said the ponies on the radio.

She pressed the triangle button that was supposed to be the play button. Suddenly she heard the player working. She reached for the small headphones and sat down on the sidewalk with her back against the wall, listening. She scowled not hearing anything through the headphone speakers. She looked at the player again trying hard to figure out how to make the sound work. She found a dial that read VOL. She used the scroll wheel and pushed it too much to one side then the music blasted into her ears making her scream pulling off the headphones.

One pony was startled by her scream giving her dirty looks. Octavia groaned rubbing her sore ears.

“So much like Vinyl to blast music right away.” She groaned. She pressed the play button again and notice the song paused. She fixed her headphones again and used the scroll bar to lower the volume. She found the play button again and sighed in relief. There, the volume was perfect for her to listen.

Later she decided to stand up and continue window shopping as she listened to the music. As she was listening to an interesting rock ballad remix, Octavia walked to a small park and sat on a bench in the park. She smiled, resting her chin on her arms, closing her eyes and letting the music transport her into her imagination.

She could see Vinyl playing the remix for all to hear on her mix table playing the tracks, bobbing her head up and down, and an occasional yell for the crowd to get wild as she dropped the bass. Octavia bobbed her head to the beat and bass enjoying the sound. She never really was a fan of this loud stuff but living with Vinyl sure made her consider certain songs and sets she played. As the song came to an end, she could hear the crowd in her imagination cheering. She watched as Vinyl turned to her in her dream with a look of bewilderment.

“Octavia?”

The voice was so close and so real that Octavia blinked out of her trance and sat up staring at a pony with a hood over her head standing in front of her. Octavia blinked. “Oh excuse me... Wait, do I know you?” She asked pulling off her headphones staring at the unicorn. It took her a moment to actually see the electric blue mane and the glasses... the unicorn used her magic to lift up her shades to reveal those rosy magenta eyes.

Octavia’s mouth dropped open.

“V-vinyl?” She squeaked.

The unicorn grinned walking up to her. “I knew it was you.” She said in that old voice that Octavia yearned to hear for years. She leapt off the bench to hug her but Vinyl stepped back. “Not here!” She snapped looking around. Octavia sat down hard on the ground with a look on her face as if she was scolded by her mother.

“Why?”

“We can’t talk here. Come on,” Vinyl bit into Octavia’s coat and pulled her to a hiding spot behind some thick bushes that bordered the park.

Once Vinyl was sure no pony saw them she threw back her hood, stuck her sunglasses in her hoodie pocket, and grinned at Octavia. Octavia smiled back then felt Vinyl’s lips on hers and the two kissed passionately. It was a fiery kiss, not slow and controlled like they had long ago. No, this was sloppy, long-awaited, and most importantly, steamy.

“Oh Vinyl, I missed you so much! Ten years was too long,” She wrapped her arms around Vinyl’s neck hugging her. Vinyl returned the hug tightly.

“I missed you too,” She whispered. “You don’t know how much.”

Octavia wiped her tears away, looking at Vinyl to see if anything had changed. Same marshmallow coat, same cobalt and cyan blue mane, and those rosy eyes that stare back at her for real, not in her memories or dreams.

“You don’t look like you’ve aged a bit,” Octavia whispered with awe. Vinyl chuckled silently.

“That’s what you get with a white coat, no pony can tell you had aged,” Vinyl reached up to stroke Octavia’s ageing face. “You on the contrary seem older than me.”

Octavia only laughed in return happy for the first time in years. Vinyl sat down by the brick wall. Octavia sat down next to her, feeling Vinyl’s arm around her pulling her closer.

“What are you doing here?” Vinyl asked.

“Oh, we’re here for three weeks performing. I never really thought I would see you here of all places. I just saw a poster about your show in a couple of days and I was thinking of surprising you there.”

Vinyl turned away in a vein attempt to hide her frown.

Octavia noticed the look and sat up. “Vinyl is something wrong?” Vinyl jumped up on her hooves. “Vinyl?!”

Vinyl moved in and kissed her swiftly. Octavia yearned for more but Vinyl backed away ending the feeling, levitating her glasses to her snout. “I’ll have to see you again later.”

“What?” Octavia whispered sitting up confused. “But where? When? Why?”

“I can’t really explain right now.” Octavia furrowed her brows noticing Vinyl is avoiding eye contact with her; she never does that. Even behind those shades, Octavia can just tell the way her head turns away slightly. “Um, there is this bar um... The Cider Barrel, I’ll meet you there tomorrow at lunch. I’m buying.”

“Vinyl,” Octavia tried again walking closer but Vinyl backed away with each of Octavia’s steps.

“Love ya, Tavi, see you there!” Vinyl then disappeared out of the bush.

“Vinyl! Vinyl, wait, please!” Octavia jumped through the bushes in chase but soon realized Vinyl had disappeared without a trace. She looked around the park to see no white unicorn running. She only saw children playing and several lovers walking with coats and scarves keeping them warm from the chill. Octavia sat down hard trying to understand what had just taken place.

“Vinyl... What is going on?”

Author's Note:

Alright, here is "The Scratch Ends Here", one of my first Fan fics and the first one completed. This story came from an idea I had after reading all of these OctaScratch stories that always seem to be about how they met. So I thought well what about writing a story about maybe a separation, not a break up, but a separation then this idea came up. The story will be dark don't get me wrong, especially close to the ending. This story is short and will be fun in parts and sad in other parts. Oh and it's rated Teen because of the language and because of some. . . scary themes. I hope you guys enjoy this story. It was fun writing this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Feb. 12th, 2014: My first editor had a lot of stuff going on so she told me to find a new editor for this tale. So Xhoral1865 said he'll help me with this tale as well as TMS. So thanks to him we're getting to work on TSEH. First of all, we're gonna fix chapter 2 then chapter 3 will come up. Just a heads up. Hope this was a tiny bit better than the last time. If there are any mistakes, let me know.

Feb. 20th, 2015: Another re-edit. Big thanks to Roybgp for the second look through.