• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 5,984 Views, 264 Comments

The Original Mad Scientist in Equestria - Br0nyb0y123



Nikola Tesla creates a machine that malfunctions and teleports him to Ponyville, seeing that he has become an equine horse. Will he make it back home?

  • ...
43
 264
 5,984

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38: Set

Luna was asleep on a chair in the kitchen, sleeping was untypical, even for her. She grew tired waiting for Tesla to come back, the stress of keeping control of the townsponies didn't help either. She was knackered. The ambiance of the entire tree library also helped her sleep. Silence. Everywhere. Until something occurred just a few paces away from the front door, a fizzle. A small spark of green light, which soon erupted into a dark conglomeration of black and green which happened to be a portal, and out came the hoof of Nikola Tesla, then his other hoof, then his entire body. The portal closed.

The noise woke Luna up in a fright, she pounced up from her seat to see Tesla coming out of the portal. She rushed to him as the portal closed and hugged him,

"Are you okay?" She asked him.

Tesla hugged her back, "I'm fine Luna."

"What happened?" Luna questioned, "Where's the girls?"

"They're still there," He began, "Luna. I need to tell you something."


"No way. You're kidding me," Luna couldn't believe, "They can't expect you to kill one of them, they're gigantic."

"It's the only way I'll be able to save them," Nikola said to her, "If I don't do this, they won't escape."

"Take into account that if you do this, Nikola. You can die..." She replied.

"I know the risks Luna. I need to try though," He explained to her, "Luna. I'm doing this for everyone."

"Let me help you!" She suggested.

"I can't get your help unless I really need it," Tesla spoke.

She tilted her head to the right, "You're going up against one of the largest dragons in Equestrian history, you'll need all the help you can get," Luna told him.

"And my help isn't important at the moment, Luna. The town needs you here. They need a leader. They need you to help them," He replied.

Luna sighed, "Nikola. Every friend I've ever had has either died or left. Promise me that you won't die. Please."

He gave her a small reassuring smile, "I won't die, I promise you."

She smiled as water flooded her eyelids,

"Cross my heart and hope to die," He joked.

Luna chuckled, "That's dark."

He chuckled back, "It is."

Luna pondered to herself before saying to Tesla, "What should we tell the townsfolk?"

"The truth, Luna. I'm setting off tomorrow for Canterlot, I'll take down Umberoth. Two of the ponies will come back."

"Alright," She replied, "Have you got a plan?"

"I've got an idea." Tesla told him.

"What idea?" Luna queried.

"My machine is still in the castle? Right?" He asked.

"Yes."

"Good. There's a capacitor bank in the machine. If I turn it on, it could explode. It'll be a big explosion as well. It almost happened during my first few days here, if I can just get Umberoth near it, the explosion could kill him." He explained carefully to her.

"That doesn't sound like a bad idea," She told him.

Tesla got up from the seat he was sitting on in the kitchen and got himself a drink for himself and Luna, if she wants one that is,

"You know," He began as he opened his bottle of cider, "I'm optimistic about facing Umberoth. Scared, but optimistic about taking him on."

"My grandfather once took down a great dragon," Luna told him.

"Is that right?" Tesla asked.

Luna nodded and hummed in confirmation, "Yeah, he was leader of the Equestrian Army for a while, and about four thousand years before my parents where born, he took down one of the great dragons all on his own after most of his army burned in the dragon's flames."

"How did he kill him?"

"There's different interpretations from different ponies but I believe this version is the most popular version of how my grandfather killed the dragon, he flew up high into the sky, taunting the dragon to come up and get him and then as the dragon flew up, just igniting his fiery breath, my grandfather darted down into his mouth and burst through his body before he could flame him," Luna told him.

"Wow. That's a big feat," Nikola uttered, "I definitely won't be able to do that."

"I believe you can. You're smart. One of the smartest I've ever met, you'll find a way," Luna replied with a gentle smile.

Luna opened her bottle of cider and took a sip,

"We shouldn't be drinking after all that's happened tonight," Luna said.

"I know. I should rest, I'll be leaving in the morning," Tesla replied with a sigh.

"I think you'll do okay, Nikola," Luna told him.

"You always have faith in others Luna. I respect that. Thank you," Tesla smiled.

"Come on, one last drink. You up for one?" Luna asked.

"Sure thing," Tesla replied.


The following morning came after a sleepless night for Tesla. He was anxious about setting off, but he had no other choice in order to save his friends. It worried him, but he knew he had to do it. I have to do this, He told himself. I have to do this, He repeated this mantra several times in his head before getting up from his chair in Twilight's basement. He sorted himself a saddle pack with food, drink and some tools that he thought would make his entrance into Canterlot much more quiet. He placed them on his back as he approached the stairs and then the front door as soon as he made it to the top of the stairs. He exited the treehouse and sought for Luna, who said she would be in the local hospital.

After making it there, he continued to look for Luna. After gaining directions to where she was, he headed to that very room, and then entered the room: Room 39b.

As he opened the door he saw Luna standing next to an unconscious Sombra in a bed, Luna looked over to Tesla as he opened the door,

"I thought you sent him to a different hospital in another town?" Tesla asked her.

She shook her head, "I wouldn't do that. Not now. Everything is just as bad or worse in other towns, there wouldn't be any point of moving him there."

"Right."

"How's your morning been?" Luna asked with a smile.

"It's been alright so far. I just got up like ten minutes ago," Nikola replied, "What about yourself?"

"Busy," She stated, "It was tough too. Ponies are still in distress, it hurts to see them like that."

"I can only imagine," Tesla replied with sorrow before asking, "How's he?"

Luna glanced at Sombra then looked back at Nikola, "He's dying."

"Oh..." He uttered sadly.

Luna nodded unhappily, "Yeah. Ozymandias' magic blast was near-fatal, it's poisoning his body Nikola. The doctor said he has one, maybe two months tops. I asked if they could do anything, but to be frank, they're all scared of him," She explained.

"He's a scary stallion. He would've killed me if he could," Tesla replied, remembering the fight between him and Oz and Sombra.

"What stopped him?" Luna questioned.

"Masai's threat..." He began, "...And you and your sister."

Luna approached the window in the room and stared out of it, looking towards her palace that lay upon a hill, she then began to weep,

Tesla looked over to her, "Luna, what's wrong?"

She sniffed, "When I saw you underneath him, it didn't look like you, you were broken. When I saw him I didn't know what to think, I didn't know if I should've felt happy, angry, sad or any of them. Then he got hit..." She sobbed, "...he got hit and now he's dying, and you're going to fight a monster. I don't want this to happen... I don't want him to die... I don't want you to die..."

"Luna," Tesla softly replied as he approached her, "You said you have your faith in me, I promise you I'll come back. I keep my promises," He gave her a reassuring smile.

"Nikola..." She choked as she cried before taking a deep breath, "...I don't want to happen. I don't want ponies to die. I don't want anyone to die. I won't take anymore of it if everything gets worse."

"Luna. You're the Princess of the Night, I've heard stories of you being brave, a leader of an army. You're strong Luna, you need to stay strong," He told her.

Luna gave him an optimistic smile, "Yeah," She nodded and replied, "I need... I need to stay strong."

"I know you'll stay strong," He smiled back, "But Luna, I have to go now."

"Oh, alright," Luna replied.

There was a brief silence between them. They stood a small distance away from each other, Luna approached him and hugged him, and Tesla gently hugged back,

"Good luck, Nikola," She wished him.

"Thanks Luna. I'll be back before you know it," He assured her.

"Okay."

The two stopped hugging and Tesla made his way to the door, before he left turned around to face Luna once more, and gave her a nod as a sign of goodbye right before saying,

"I won't be long."

And off he went.


The Cutie Mark Crusaders didn't want to go any adventures today, they were too depressed. Each of them were saddened by the announcement of their close family members and friends being hostages to the terrorist Changelings. They sat on the dirt outside Sweetie Belle's house, looking at the ponies surrounding them in set up tents for shelter,

"This sucks," Scootaloo spoke.

"You ain't kidding," Applebloom replied.

Sweetie Belle sighed, "I miss Rarity. I miss everyone," She whined.

Applebloom patted her gently on the back,

"It's okay, Sweetie Belle. Mister Tesla said..." Applebloom paused as her eyes went misty, "He said he'll save them."

"What if he doesn't, though?" Sweetie Belle asked back as her lips began to quiver.

"We don't know that for sure," Scootaloo answered, "I think he can do it."

It was at this point that Nikola Tesla was trotting past several ponies in order to get outside of Ponyville. The Crusaders saw him and then looked at each other,

"Where's he going?" Applebloom asked curiously.

"Don't know," Sweetie Belle sniffed.

"Should we ask him?" Scootaloo questioned.

"Yes," Applebloom and Sweetie Belle replied simultaneously.

The three fillied hopped up to their hooves and galloped over to Mister Tesla,

"Excuse me, Mister?" Applebloom tried to get his attention.

He turned to face down to her after stopping in his tracks, "Yes?"

"You're Mister Tesla ain't ya?" Applebloom asked with Southern twang, "You see, I'm Applejack's lil' sister..."

"Oh, you must be Applebloom," He said, much to Applebloom's surprise.

She nodded, "Yep."

He then faced Sweetie Belle, "You must be little Sweetie Belle, Rarity's sister I presume?"

Sweetie nodded and hummed, "Yes sir."

"And you must be Scootaloo. If I'm not mistaken?" He asked the young orange filly.

"Yes Mister Tesla," She replied.

"Tell me, what can I do for you girls?" He kindly asked.

"We just wanted to thank you for saying you'd save our family members and friends, sir," Sweetie Belle told him.

Tesla gave them a warm smile, "The Elements of Harmony have done so much for me. I will save them, I promise you."

"Where are you going Mister Tesla?" Scootaloo asked him.

Tesla paused and crouched down, "Okay," he whispered, "I'm heading back to Canterlot."

The trio's cute eyes widened,

"Where the dragon is?" All three asked at the same time.

Tesla nodded and whispered, "Yeah. But I need you three to keep it a secret for me. I'm going to slay the dragon, and in return for me deeds I'll be repaid with two members of the Element of Harmony. Can you three keep a secret?"

All three nodded, "Of course!" They whispered forcefully.

"Alright girls," He stood up straight and spoke in his normal voice, "I'm going to go now. Promise me you'll keep it a secret? I am trusting the Element of Honesty's sister along with her friends after all."

"You can trust us, sir," Sweetie Belle told him.

"Yeah," Scootaloo added.

"We'll keep it secret," Applebloom finished.

Tesla nodded at them with a kind smirk as they nodded back in return. And with that, he set forth on his journey to Canterlot, hoping he won't be set on fire when he arrives,

"I can do this," Tesla said to himself as he stepped out of the town.

PreviousChapters Next