• Published 11th Nov 2013
  • 17,513 Views, 1,292 Comments

Gladiator - Not_A_Hat



Human in Equestria? Check. Trying to find his way home? Check. Surrounded by clueless candy-colored equines? Check. Magically soul-bonded to Twilight Sparkle using dread necromantic magic and an evil artifact? Check.

  • ...
50
 1,292
 17,513

PreviousChapters Next
55 - Scramble

Squeak, squeak.

My hand rubbed against the mirror, clearing fog. I stood wrapped in a bathrobe in Pinkie's bathroom. I spread the first aid supplies out on the counter and got to work.

Sunset had managed to wash, dry, and dress without help, reappearing downstairs just as Pinkie and I finished scavenging for supplies. She'd kindly left the wand up here, realizing I might need it. Magical healing was my best bet, so I'd taken a few minutes to mediate, actually sitting down in the tub under the shower. I'd have loved a bath, but with the amount of grime, ichor, and blood I washed off, I was glad I hadn’t. Soaking in that was not something I'd have enjoyed.

A few of my cuts had started bleeding again, so I'd taken the opportunity to clean my wounds as best I could. I pulled together the magic I'd scraped up and went to work.

First step, the wounds that should really have stitches, but weren't going to get them. I began trying to ensure knitting and clotting started as cleanly as possible. I'd need to check these daily, but if I was careful they should hold.

Next, I systematically flushed any traces of filth or infection I could find, while also trying to staunch bleeding. It took a while, but at the end I was starting to look, and feel, dramatically better. I'd be black-and-blue for days, and unless I managed to do something crazy, I wouldn't be fit to really fight for a good while longer. But I would be able to keep civilized company, and I wouldn't be bed-ridden.

The worst wounds were deep slices on the outside of my arm and on my thigh, a bruised hip-bone and a nearly cracked rib. I didn't think I had a concussion, but I'd noticed one of my ears was ringing.

Finished with the worst of the work, I carefully bandaged everything else. The wound on my chest, where the gem had been, was ugly but shallow. I'd never really considered how thick the thing was; I'd somehow imagined it actually embedded into my breastbone, but that wasn't the case. Its removal had taken a fraction of an inch of flesh, leaving an oozing raw patch, nearly the size of my palm. I slapped some antibiotic and gauze on it. With a bit of reiki, it might not even scar.

Done with my work, I carefully cleaned every speck of blood from the bathroom before re-packing my first-aid kit. I frowned, realizing about half the supplies belonged to Pinkie. Money. I needed to do something about money, first. Well, second, really. I glanced at my bathrobe. Clothes came first.

"Pinkie?" I stepped into the main area of the café. Sunset waved me towards the back.

"She's in the kitchen." She shrugged. "Making something."

"It's a new-friends cake!" Pinkie sprang through the door. She held out the treat. "It's still too warm to ice, but we can eat it if you like!"

"Mmmm." Sunset eyed the confection. The last real meal we'd had was yesterday, with a full-on battle afterwards.

"That would be lovely." I sat down in a nearby chair. "But, um, I was wondering what you did with my clothes?"

"They're in the dryer!" She pointed to the back. "The laundry room is behind the kitchen!" She grinned and set the cake before Sunset, who cut a careful slice with unsure fingers.

I found my clothes washed and dried, and quickly changed. Feeling much, much better, I slowly returned to the dining room.

"Slice?" Pinkie offered.

"Thanks." I gratefully accepted.

It was, of course, delicious, even without icing. Warm and moist, it nearly melted in my mouth.

"Well, you're just as good of a cook in this world." Sunset nearly choked at my calm statement, eyes bulging as she gasped past her piece of cake.

"Thanks!" Pinkie grinned.

"How - what -" Sunset coughed, trying to talk.

"Sorry." I gave her an apologetic glance. "I completely forgot to tell you. Pinkie's 'sense' told her we're from another world. She doesn't know the full story, but she knows enough. And she takes it seriously. I thought hiding the truth would be counterproductive, and it's not like she'd tell."

"Besides, who'd believe me?" Pinkie winked, nodding enthusiastically.

"I - I guess." Sunset swallowed, and began breathing normally. "Warn me next time!" She kicked me under the table. Hard.

"Sorry." I shrugged, wincing. "It wasn't intentional."

"Fine," she grumbled, taking another bite of cake. "I forgive you, but you'd better not make a habit of keeping secrets."

"Ooof." I sighed. "Well, looks like I need to start talking. Let's start with this." I held out the palm of my hand, showing her what I’d noticed in the shower.

"Hmm." Sunset took it in hers, and ran a finger over the viridian stain I'd found after taking my gloves off. "Crystallized magic, under your skin? Is this from that gem?"

"Oh, maybe." I frowned. Oddly, I hadn't even considered the emerald. I patted my pocket, searching for it, and froze when I felt nothing. "Ooops."

"What?" Sunset's ice-blue eyes snapped to my own.

"Um, well…" I thought back through the whole thing. "Maybe I'd better start at the beginning."


"So you just dropped it?" Sunset swallowed her bite of cake and gave me an angry glare.

"Maybe." I frowned, unsure. "I dropped the sign. Honestly, after Glisten left I wasn't paying much attention. The emerald must have gone with."

"Hmm." She set her cake down and leaned forward abruptly, seizing my shirt and pulling it open where the buttons were ripped off.

"Um - " I twitched.

"Hold still!" She gave me a glare. I complied. She carefully peeled back the dressing, and took a long look at the wound. "It's really gone."

"Yeah." I slowly leaned backwards and she released me. "I was pretty ecstatic."

"But you can still do magic." She frowned.

"Apparently. One more part of the puzzle." I held out the wand, and she considered it a moment.

"You can do magic?" Pinkie gasped. "Show me, show me!"

"I'm pretty drained right now." I frowned. "Um, Sunset maybe?"

"I'm not sure…" She looked at the wand, hesitantly.

"You've got to try sometime." I shrugged. "And if it doesn't work, it's not the end of the world. Better to know."

"Right." She hesitantly accepted, closed her eyes, and concentrated.

Nothing.

"This feels weird." She opened one eye and looked at me.

"Focus on your hand, not your head." I shrugged, trying to compare the differences I'd felt spell casting with Twilight. "You need to be more aware of the wand, and let your power take care of itself."

"Hmm." She closed her eyes again. After a few moments of silence, a tiny curl of blue wicked off the tip.

"Oooo!" Pinkie grinned, leaning closer. Another spark rose. "Aaaaa!"

"You're getting it." Sunset opened her eyes and sighed.

"It doesn't feel right." She frowned.

"Of course not." I grinned. "But you managed to make it work, despite. That's impressive." I stopped, thinking. "Was that… your talent?"

"I have no idea." She frowned. "The stupid thing's impossible to understand. Anyways, I don't have a cutie mark right now."

"Hmm." Pinkie's eyes widened at that.

"Do - do you know if it helped us get here?" I ignored the party person, and continued my train of thought. "I remember what you said, before the rift hit us."

"Again, I'm not at all sure." She handed the wand back. "Here. This is more useful to you for now."

"Alright." I tucked it into my belt and yawned. "Well, Pinkie, we're extremely thankful for your help." Sunset nodded. "Would you keep my sister company for a while, maybe let her take a nap? I need to go look for a gem." I forced myself upright and moved towards the door.

"Be careful!" Pinkie yelled cheerfully. "Come back when you're done!"

"Sure." I turned and smiled. "Thanks Pinkie."

"Aw, you're welcome!" She waved. "Have fun!"

"Heh, sure." I slipped out the door, and glanced at the street, the cars, and the buildings, suddenly realizing I was downtown, in a human city.

"I'll try." I smiled.


"Blech." I leaned my back against the pedestal of the statue and took a deep breath.

I hadn't expected to take long finding the gem. Even if it wasn't squealing all the time, I should be able to sense it. I didn't have the energy to do much, but sensing was simple. I frowned and glanced at the students passing by. There weren't many, maybe because it was the weekend, but it seemed extracurricular activities were still happening.

I really, really hoped no-one else had found it first.

"Hey! I found that first!"

Startled out of my reverie, I glanced across the lawn. A young teen girl stood nearby. She had light green skin and slightly darker hair sporting a bright stripe. She was facing down a brutish guy with gray skin and a spiked collar.

"Don't care." He held something up and I saw a spark of emerald. "I grabbed it first."

"Hey!" Green-hair was getting angry. I stood slowly, wincing at my aches and pains. Really, the worst part of fighting was recovery. I needed to practice more so I could avoid this sort of pain.

"Heheh." Gray held it out of her reach.

"Give it back!" She jumped; he dodged.

"Nope!"

"Grrr!" The girl fell into a basic stance and snapped off a punch. It connected solidly with the guy's wrist and he almost dropped the gem.

"Oh, you want to fight?" He stepped back and yelled. "Yo, dawgs! Someone wants trouble!"

"'Sup, boss?"

"Trouble?"

Two more drab-skinned and yellow-eyed teenagers stepped up. One was short, the other tall. They both wore matching spiked collars.

"I'm not afraid of your gang, Rover!" The girl yelled. Still, she stepped back.

"Oh, really. Well, maybe you should be." The biggest one cracked his knuckles.

"Hey now." I stepped up beside her, relaxed, hands in pockets. "Three on one doesn't seem fair."

"Oh yeah?" The leader, Rover, glared up at me. I could see him weighing his chances; he didn't want to back down, but I was an adult. It was three on two, but I looked tough, torn cloth and rivets.

"Yeah." I smiled. "The emerald is mine."

"Oh!" The girl glanced at me. I got a good look at her and barely stifled a gasp.

It was Lyra.

Smaller, younger, obviously less trained, but I'd recognize those sungleam eyes anywhere.

"It's yours?" She smiled. "Good! Hand it over, Rover!"

"I don't think so." Rover gave a sly smirk. "You can't prove anything. This is a very nice piece." He held up the gem. It wasn't large for an Equestrian gem; maybe fifteen carats, but if this place had a market anything like Earth that was enough to buy a car. Or three.

Not to mention its more esoteric properties. Beryl that spontaneously generated energy? Yeah. If I lost it here, I'd never get it back.

"I wasn't planning to ask." My hand blurred, and the gem was gone from his grasp. I mimed tucking it into my pocket as I dropped it into my sleeve.

"Hey!" This time Rover was getting angry. "You can't - "

"Then stop me." I shrugged, projecting an air of nonchalance. "But." I flipped my attitude, and grinned ferociously. "You'd better be ready."

"Hah!" Rover, unsure but brave, stepped forward. "Me and my boys, we'll - "

I didn't let him finish. I pulled up my already-strained reserves and harmonized my magic. Fighting though sudden dizziness, I threw a lightning-quick strike. I tapped his forehead, forcing a dab of magic through my finger. It was the same type of strike pony-Lyra used to knock me out, when we first fought. His eyes rolled back as the magic disrupted his internal systems for a second; like a blow to the jaw, but less dangerous. He folded like a concertina.

"More?" I spread my hands, grinning. His two accomplices shared a look, scooped him up and dashed off, shooting us nasty glances.

"Ooof." I walked to a nearby bench and collapsed, lowering my head to my hands. I really, really needed some sleep. But I still had to check on Bit, even just talk to human Fluttershy for a second, before I could really rest.

"What was that?" I looked up. Lyra had followed me over, and was staring curiously.

"The gem is mine," I said defensively.

"No, that's fine." She waved a hand. "But you just tapped his head, and he fell over!"

"You saw that?" I raised an eyebrow. She was less trained, but obviously still talented.

"Yeah! You were all like - 'Zap!' and he was all like, 'Thump!' and then you just walked away!" She threw a few jabs, trying to mimic the move.

"Your feet are out of line," I said, unconsciously assessing her stance.

"Huh?"

"Your feet." I knelt down and adjusted them. "If you hold them like this, it will help you balance." She stepped back, giving a half-surprised, half-shocked look. I nearly facepalmed. I'd fallen back into the sort of interaction I'd have with the Lyra I knew. She had no problems with me correcting her, or demonstrating, although I rarely did it for martial arts. This, however, was a teenage girl. A cute, humanish, teenage girl, who didn't know me from Adam. I couldn't act so familiar. "Sorry." I stood, shrugging uncomfortably, and made to turn away.

"Hi-yah!"

I bent slightly and let the kick slide past, before turning smoothly and automatically falling into a stance. When I saw her shocked look I tried to relax and step backwards, but she pressed in.

"You can't go!" She threw a few jabs. I brushed them aside. "You haven't told me how you did that!"

"Please stop attacking me!" I leaped backwards, clearing the bench. My hip twinged. Her eyes snapped wide as she grinned.

"Shoot!" I considered turning and running. She probably wouldn't tackle me. Right? I recognized the manic gleam in her eye. I groaned.

"I'll make you tell me!" Her eyes glittered, and she leaped onto the bench, balancing precariously to throw a kick at my head. She had pretty yellow boots to match her eyes. Everyone here wore boots.

"That's dangerous!" I blocked easily. She lost her balance, and spun her arms for a second. I stepped in, thinking she was going to fall, but she smirked and grabbed my shoulder. I braced myself as she leaped off the bench, landing lightly and trying to pivot into a throw. I planted my feet and grinned as she strained.

"Look, you need to move your opponent around their center of gravity." I grabbed her hand and adjusted the grip. "Since I'm rather heavier, you'll need to be more precise. One hand here." I moved it to my wrist. "The other one here." I placed it on my shoulder. "Now, sweep with your hip." I let her whirl me, but writhed and rolled away at the last second.

"You're toying with me!" She indignantly puffed her cheeks as I climbed to my feet, trying to ignore my complaining body.

"I don't want to." I shrugged. "I've got places to go. Ponies to see."

"Ponies?"

"Figure of speech."

"You still haven't told me how you did that!"

"And I don't plan to. I can only ever take one disciple, and you're not it." That would be far too confusing.

"What?" Her eyes lit up. "Do you practice some sort of secret martial art? Can't you tell me anything?" She gave me a pleading stare, eyes wide.

"Well…" I paused. I didn't want to stay trapped here, but if I didn't say something, she'd never let up. I smirked, considering refuge in audacity. At worst, she'd laugh. "The truth is…"

"Yes?!"

"I'm a Jedi."


I closed the back door of Sugarcube Corner, and leaned my head against it.

I had not expected Lyra to believe me. I'd expected her to laugh, and maybe give me time to escape. Instead, she'd followed me until I managed to lose her at a crosswalk, trying to get more explanations out of me and bugging me about light-sabers.

I staggered up the stairs. Pinkie had a small suite above the shop. The Cakes lived elsewhere in this reality. I could hear the sounds of business coming from the dining area.

"Sunset? Pinkie?"

"Shh!" Pinkie was tapping away at a baby-blue laptop. She raised a finger to her lips and motioned to Sunset, who was sleeping soundly on the bed. I nodded and lowered my voice.

"Hey, can you let me call Fluttershy? I need to check on Bitterbloom."

"Your pony?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Sure!" She pulled out her phone, and passed it to me. "She's in my contacts."

"Huh." I unlocked the phone with a swipe. The more I saw of this world, the more it resembled mine. I pulled up her phonebook and tapped the picture of one soft eye peering through pink hair.

"H-hello?"

"Hey, Fluttershy. Sorry it's not Pinkie. I just needed to ask… is Bit doing OK?"

"Oh! Um. Wesley, right?" The voice on the other end paused. "Y-yes. She's doing just fine. She's in the barn. I gave her some oats, and she's asleep now." Her voice got quiet. "She's a very pretty pony."

"Um, yeah. Well, that's all I needed to know. Thanks."

"You're welcome."

"Bye."

"Bye."

"All good?" Pinkie gave me a wide-eyed stare.

"Yeah." I yawned and flopped onto the couch, handing the phone back. "Fluttershy says so. I'm taking a nap."

"Sweet dreams!" She gave me a tiny wave.

"Thanks." I smiled and closed my eyes.


I woke with the memory of flowers drifting through my head. Pinkie was gone, and afternoon sunlight filtered through the windows.

"Bougainvillea?" I muttered.

"Hmm?" Sunset was sitting at Pinkie's desk, poking at her computer. Hearing me mutter, she turned to me. "What was that?"

"Something about flowers. Bougainvillea. My grandfather grew them in his backyard." I rubbed my eyes. "Something in my dream. What time is it?"

"Just past five. You slept a good four hours. Feel better?"

"Lots." I stretched hesitantly, before climbing off the couch and settling cross-legged on the floor. I needed to be doubly sure I never skipped my meditation for the next few days; if I wasn't careful about tending to my wounds in the beginning, they wouldn't heal clean.

"Are you doing that… reiki again?" Sunset gave me a curious stare.

"Yeah." I opened one eye, and looked up at her. "Are you hurt anywhere? I didn't think to ask, since I didn't see much of your blood."

"Bruises, scrapes." She shrugged. "Fire support, magic shields, and my good fur coat saw me through." She rubbed her arms. "I miss my fur, honestly. Although these are pretty fun." She wiggled her fingers at me and smirked.

"I can help with bruises, if you like." I closed my eyes again. "Give me a little time for meditation, and I think I can wipe that one on your cheek."

"That would be nice." Her voice was soft. "Wes… is this like your world?"

"Some." I frowned. "It's lot's closer than Equus Five Suns was, but - "

"What did you say?"

"Huh?"

"Equestria what?"

"I…" I thought back, slightly bothered. I couldn't remember at all. "I don't know." I opened my eyes, and rubbed my head, trying to catch the memory. "I don't remember."

"Huh. Well, go on."

"No, I mean… " I cut off, turmoil rolling in my gut. "Sunset, I don't have the best memory. But… that bothers me."

"Losing something like that?"

"No, saying something like that, something I don’t remember." My frown deepened into a scowl. "If something's messing with my head…"

"Like Twilight?" Sunset's lip curled in an ironic twist.

"No. Well, yes, but not like…" I paused. "What I mean to say, is that if something's influencing my actions, and I don't know it… that's, like, worst-case scenario for me in so many ways. This time, if it’s not Twilight…." I sighed, before returning to my meditation. "Watch my back, sis."

"Sure." Her voice was quiet.

"Anyways, this world is like Earth, but also like Equus. I don't know much resography, but if I had to guess, it could be halfway in between?" I tried to catalogue everything we'd seen so far. "Well, something like that."

"But you're familiar with much of what's here."

"More familiar than I was with Equestria. With what I now know of both worlds, I feel fairly comfortable." I thought back, trying to organize the things I needed to tell her. "There’s a few things you should know. That computer? Did Pinkie explain it?"

"Some." Her voice was wry.

"Heh, sure. Anyways, computers. They're a big thing on Earth. They collate and organize data and scan for patterns. People can be traced and identified by them, if they're in the system. If the people in this world mirror Equestrians, than I probably won’t be in there. That has it’s own problems, but... You, on the other hand - "

" - might have a doppelganger."

"Exactly. Either way, we don't have identifying documents, or any of the things we'd need to interact with officials and the government. I turned Pinkie down on the ambulance because with our wounds, they'd want to identify us and talk to the police, and I couldn't risk being tagged as an alien. You might land in even weirder and more annoying trouble. First rule here, Sunset; lay low. As long as we don't draw attention, we can avoid authority. Things are much tighter, but it's surprising how much of that control is an illusion. They've just got more tools for spotting the troublemakers." I glanced at the computer.

"Oh, that's much better!" I rose to my feet, and stretched. The magic I'd concentrated on my wounds would speed healing. It was already reinforcing my muscles, soothing out soreness and supporting where I needed extra strength. I turned to Sunset. "Can I give you a hand?"

"Nope! I've got my own, now!" She held them up, and giggled.

"Heh, sure." I stepped in close. "Hold still." Her eyes went wide as I ran a thumb over her sharp cheekbone, focusing a little magic. Her own power responded, moving closer to the skin and concentrating there. The bruise was fairly small; most likely from landing roughly. After a second, I stepped back. It had faded from blue to yellowish. "That ought to do. Now, first order of business, literally. We need to make some money."

"You have a plan?" She closed the laptop.

"Yes, actually." I grinned, the scheme unrolling in my head. "Magic."

"Hmm?"

"Come on. I'll show you." I smirked and led her towards the door. "This should be entertaining."

PreviousChapters Next