• Published 7th Mar 2012
  • 1,189 Views, 6 Comments

An Angel Among Ponies - thunderclap



Grant Walker used to kill Angels, now he has to work with a few ponies to get himself back home

  • ...
9
 6
 1,189

Trust Issues

“I agree.” Celestia said with a cheerful smile. At the same time the aura around me shifted a little, causing the pain in my body to ebb away. Celestia put me down once she was done healing me and herself.

“Wha?” Twilight gaped. It was pretty obvious that something in her head had overheated. “But… you said that you wanted to kill Grant.”

“I have to agree.” I said, rubbing out a few kinks. “Not that I’m complaining or anything, but why am I still alive?”

‘Grant you might want to be careful. I can’t get a good read on this Celestia.’ Gabriel added.

‘I know, but if she really did want to kill us then we’d be dead by now. She wants something, and if we can provide it then we might be able to get back home.’

“I’m sorry,” Celestia said, interrupting my train of thought. “I didn’t mean to hurt you that badly. I just sort of overreacted when you slashed my wing like that.”

“You didn’t mean to hurt me that badly? Those fireballs nearly scorched my arse. Not to mention what you did to my spine”

“I had a feeling you’d be able to dodge them. You were able to defeat a hydra after all. As for your spine, as I said I was still a little miffed about the wing you slashed.” Celestia said with a faint smirk.

“So what was all this about yer Highness?” Applejack asked. “If ya didn’t wanna hurt Grant, then what do ya want?”

“You’re right, I should explain myself. I’ve had to call upon you girls to save Equestria several times now, and I’ve had my reasons for doing this. But, when Discord returned I was angry at myself for my inability to help you. It seems these thousand years of peace have softened me. I attacked Grant the way I did to see if he’d be a good sparring partner for me. With his help I might be able to defend my country better.” Celestia proclaimed.

“Princess Celestia, I had no idea you felt that way.” Twilight said, seeming disappointed in herself.

“If I might interrupt,” I said with as little tact as possible to get Celestia’s attention. “Look, I may not know too much about you or how this world works. But from what I’ve been told, you already have a lot on your plate. You have to run this entire nation and make sure that the sun rises on schedule, and now you want to handle security for your entire country. It seems like you’re trying to burn yourself out, and since you control the sun, burning out is the last thing you should do.”

“Then what do you suggest I should do? Do you want me to just sit back and let others put themselves in harm’s way?” Celestia spat at me.

“In a manner of speaking, yes,” I answered bluntly. “Just because you’re in charge of Equestria doesn’t mean you should do everything yourself. You’re the leader that means you have to make hard choices sometimes. What you can do is find the best people for the job and trust they can handle the situation. And luckily, I happen to be one of the best people to stop whatever trouble that comes my way.”

“What are you saying?” Celestia asked, arching an eyebrow.

“I’m offering to help you defend your beloved country. All I ask is that you help me find a way back to my home. And I’ll still spar with you. You could make me a lot stronger.”

Celestia’s expression softened and she gave me a gracious smile. “I’ll accept your proposal. But I have a question.”

“What is it?” I asked, having a good feeling what she was going to say.

“What if I’m unable to find a way for you to return to your own world?”

“I’ll be working on a way for me to return as well. But if worst comes to worst, then I’ll just have to get used to life here.” I answered with a shrug.

“Very well, just remember that you have to do whatever I say.”

“Of course.”

“And as long you are my guest here you will be given financial compensation for your services.”

“So I’m being paid to hit things? Heh, it’s almost like I never left home.” I said wistfully.

“I’m glad this arrangement meets your satisfaction. Now, would you mind answering some of my questions?”

“Go right ahead, I’m on your payroll after all.”

“Not here, Twilight, can you take us back to your home?”

“Of course, Princess.” Twilight said.

It took us a few minutes but we were finally able to make it to Twilight’s treehouse. A few of the ponies around town caught a glimpse of Celestia and bowed with reverence. Once inside, we all made ourselves comfortable. I sat between Twilight and Applejack on the couch and we all made a circle around Celestia. Everything had been quiet until Celestia decided to break the silence.

“Twilight’s letter failed to mention a few things about you so could you please tell me everything?”

“No problem. I’ll start from the beginning. I’m a half-Human half-Angel that belongs to a group called the Clergy. My job is to complete any mission given to me and to eliminate any Angel or Demon that I come across. There are other jobs in the Clergy as well. One of the most important ones is making sure that regular people don’t discover the truth behind Angels and Demons.”

“Why would they do that?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Don’t they deserve to know the truth?”

“It’s not that simple. If everyone knew the truth, then there would be a huge panic. Millions could potentially die. We have enough troubles in the Clergy without having to deal with the collapse of civilization too.”

“How do you know that would happen?” Fluttershy asked. “Maybe you should trust them?”

“Imagine if you found out that everything you had ever been told was a lie.” I said sternly. “Imagine if you learned that the only reason that you exist was to be a pawn in a war between two entities. What do you think you would do in that situation?” Everyone in the room fell silent at that and started to look down, seeming uncomfortable.

“Girls,” Celestia said, shattering the silence. “I know honesty is a part of the elements, but Grant is from a different world. We have to respect those differences. Now, the letter mentioned that you were able to alter your physical abilities, but it didn’t mention that you were able to use magic like that.”

“You didn’t tell us about that either.” Twilight said with a stern look and a poke to the side. “Did you lie to us?”

“Of course I didn’t lie to you. Gabriel’s the one who’s the Elemental user.” I answered with a smarmy grin.

“Who’s Gabriel?” Celestia asked.

“It’s the name he’s given to his Angel half,” Twilight clarified, “and that’s not a good excuse considering he’s technically the same person as you.”

‘I am not the same as you.” Gabriel huffed. ‘I’m not nearly as thickheaded.’

‘I know, but it was an honest mistake. If she ever got to know you then she’d be singing a different tune. And by the way, I am not thickheaded you brooding bastard.’

“I’m sorry Twilight, but that’s not how Gabriel and I feel about it. We see ourselves as two separate beings that just so happen to share one physical presence.” I answered.

“That is seriously confusing.” Rainbow Dash groaned, dragging a hoof across her face.

“It is a difficult living arrangement to be sure, but we’ve gotten used to it. Gabriel may be a bit of a cranky arse, but he’s family.” I replied with a shrug.

“That still doesn’t explain why you didn’t tell us about his abilities.” Twilight said.

“I don’t suppose you’d believe me if I said that it slipped my mind?” I asked with the most sympathetic expression I could muster. Given the look Twilight was giving me she didn’t find any humor in what I said.

“No, I wouldn’t.” She replied.

“Fine, the only reason that I didn’t tell you about Gabriel’s abilities is to have an ace in the hole in case things got out of hand, and they sort of did.”

“Do you not trust us or something?” Rainbow Dash asked, shooting me a glare.

“It’s not that I don’t trust you all or anything, I’ve just learned that I should be prepared for anything. It’s all part of my job.”

“You were prepared fer somethin’ like fightin’ the princess?” Applejack asked with an arched eyebrow.

“That’s nothing; I have to make several riot plans every time the World Cup rolls around.”

“What the hay is the “World Cup”?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“It’s a Football tournament that dozens of countries around my world compete in, although, you probably know the sport as Hoof-ball.” I said the last part as a joke and let out a small chuckle.

“Why in the world would people in your world riot over something like Hoof-ball?” Rarity asked with an arched eyebrow.

I had to stop myself from slapping my forehead. I swear these horse puns are going to drive me to drink. “Yeah, any explanation I could give you would basically boil down to, ‘people are crazy’.”

“That seems like a gross overgeneralization on your part.” Twilight stated.

“What do you want from me? I’m a Soldier not a Sociologist.” I replied with a shrug. “Even if I was I’m pretty sure you’d be the only one interested in a long diatribe about this particular aspect of human behavior.” I looked around the room and the rest of the girls nodded at this statement. “Still, I think we should get back to the topic at hand. Celestia, do you have any more questions for me?”

“I can’t think of anything, girls, what about you?

“Ooh, I have one!” Pinkie exclaimed. “I still want to know what a Sophie is. I asked you earlier but instead of answering me you pointed your weapon in my face. Is your weapon a Sophie because that’s a weird name for a weapon?”

“I’m curious about that as well darling,” Rarity added. Although, judging by the ribbon you were rubbing when you said that, I’m willing to bet that Sophie is the name of a lady friend of yours.” She finished, shooting me a knowing look. I felt myself Blanche for a moment, and I subconsciously reached for the ribbon. I quickly corrected myself and put on my most devious of smirks.

“I guess you could call her that, but there’s not much to tell.” I lied with a shrug.

“Now come on Sugarcube you can tell us anything ya like.” Applejack said with a comforting smile.

“Well if you insist.” I said, my smirk intensifying. “I guess the story starts the same as any other: boy meets girl, boy makes a few passes at girl, boy takes girl home, and then there’s some moaning, some exclamations to a deity, statements of disbelief that it’s fitting, and finally like any good story there’s a satisfying climax followed by the falling action. The falling action in this case being cuddles.” I looked around the room and saw that all of the girls were blushing a deep crimson while trying to avoid eye contact with me, all except Pinkie Pie and Celestia that is. The former who still had her trademark smile, and the latter was trying to hold back snickers.

“What? Who doesn’t like cuddling?” I asked, throwing up my arms. That set Celestia off and she started to guffaw while the girls finally worked up the nerve to glare at us.

“Did you have to share something so personal?” Twilight asked her glare solely on me.

“Hey, I did try to warn you.” I replied, my arms now held up defensively. “Now, can we please move on, I have a question of my own.”

Twilight took a deep breath and her glare softened. “Fine what do you want to know?”

“Where am I going to stay? Now that I’m on your payroll am I going back to your castle, Celestia?”

Celestia stopped laughing and returned to her more motherly gaze. “No, I have to explain your situation to my sister and the council. So, for now I recommend that you stay with Twilight here. I’m sure she’d like to study you and your abilities some more.”

“You’re right Princess, I would.” She said with a grin before she narrowed her eyes at me again. “But, I need you to promise that you’ll be on your best behavior, and stop trying to drive me crazy!”

“But… but, you look so cute when that little vein in your forehead starts to bulge out.” I argued with a whimper.

“Grant,” Twilight growled and gave me a look that told me this wasn’t up for discussion.

“Fine, I’ll be a good little boy from now on.” I said with an overdramatic sigh and shoulder slump. The others started to laugh at our little exchange and Pinkie started to bounce up and down in her seat with barely contained enthusiasm.

“Great! Since we have all of this stuff figured how about we get a treat from Sugarcube Corner?!” Pinkie asked with an enthusiastic squeal. My stomach decided to throw in its two cents rather loudly at the mention of food. Everyone in the room looked at me and giggled at the noises I was making.

“You know, that sounds like a good idea. I haven’t eaten all day.” I said, rubbing the back of my head.

“Yay! Then let’s get going! Ooh, Princess, would you like to come with us?” Pinkie asked, giving Celestia big, pleading eyes.

“I suppose Canterlot could survive a little longer without me.”

Twilight Pov:

I followed the girls, Princess, and Grant towards Sugarcube Corner while carrying Spike on my back. He was talking about all of the gem encrusted cupcakes he was going to eat. I wasn’t paying much attention to him, my focus was on the strange young man walking next to Princess Celestia and talking to her with a carefree grin on his face. I had no idea what to make of Grant, or even if we could trust him. I know I wasn’t the only one who had these doubts. I caught Rainbow Dash eyeing him warily a few times, probably because he had scared Fluttershy. Rainbow is very protective of her. I felt like I should talk to Celestia about these doubts, although, she did seem to trust Grant almost immediately for some reason.

I was pulled out of my train of thought when we reached the bakery. Pinkie looked back at Grant with an even toothier grin than usual and stepped away from the door. “Come on Granty-Wanty if you want your treats you’ve got to open the door.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice! I’m so hungry I could eat that hydra!” Grant exclaimed with a goofy smile. As soon as Grant opened the door he was greeted by an explosion of confetti and a large group of ponies yelling “Surprise.” Grant looked confused for a second and his stance made him appear like he was ready for a fight. But, he was back to normal (or as normal as Grant could be) and stepped inside.

“Well, isn’t this nice. Not too long ago you were all calling me a monster, and now you’re throwing a little party just for me.” Grant said his voice bereft of tone.

Mayor Mare stepped up with a sheepish look on her face and drew little circles on the floor. “Yes well, on behalf of the town of Ponyville I would like to offer you a heartfelt apology, Mr. Walker.”

Grant continued trying bore holes into the mayor with his eyes before he started to grin. “No worries, it’s all water under the bridge now. Besides,” Grant started, his expression darkening while he pushed his face into the mayor’s, “I’m about to prove that I really am a monster.” As soon as I heard this I started up a spell that would hopefully incapacitate Grant.

“R-really,” the mayor squeaked out.

“Yup,” Grant said, standing up to his full height, “A PARTY MONSTER!” Grant exclaimed. “Now, D.J. hit that music so we can start this thing right!” As soon as he said that the mood lightened and the sound of electronic music and excited cheers filled the room. With his little performance finished, Grant rushed to the snack table to eat for the first time that day. Pinkie was right behind him, probably planning on introducing him to the entire town while he stuffed his face. I let out a deep sigh and allowed the glow around my horn to disappear.

The party continued on for a while and at first I mingled with a few acquaintances until I noticed Princess Celestia. She was by herself with a smile on her face while standing at one side of the room with a generous amount of cake and a cup of punch in her magical grasp. I followed her line of sight and saw she was looking at Grant while he was playing with a group of foals. Even from where I was standing I could tell they were pestering him about things and were trying to climb all over him. Grant took it in stride and just let the foals do what they wanted. I couldn’t help but chuckle as he allowed himself to fall over when one particularly enthusiastic colt tackled him. The other foals around him took this as an opportunity to pile on top of the Human. I shook my head; I couldn’t let myself be distracted. This was the perfect time to tell Celestia about my feelings toward Grant. Not like that! I quickly made it to Celestia and got her attention.

“Um, Princess, could I talk to you about something?” I asked her, nervous for some reason.

“Of course Twilight, you know you can tell me anything.”

“It’s just that, I have no idea if I can trust Grant or not.” I admitted.

“Really, why is that?” She asked, arching an eyebrow.

“I mean the first time I saw him he was standing over me while a hydra was embedded in his back. And do you know what he was doing?”

“I can’t say that I do.”

“He was smiling. I mean, I could tell that he was forcing the smile, but given the situation it was amazing that he was standing, let alone smiling. Then, he collapsed after he defeated the hydra and Fluttershy and I gave him the necessary anti-venom. When he recovered the first thing he did was point his sword at Pinkie Pie. Then, he noticed that he had scared Fluttershy so he calmed her down and gave her reassurances. And of course he doesn’t seem to take anything seriously and he seems to live to drive me crazy. And, he’s taking being stranded on another world strangely well. Doesn’t that strike you as odd? What if he really is dangerous? If he really does plan to do anything to us, I don’t know if I’ll be able to stop him.” I finished, tears forming at the corners of my eyes.

“Now, now, Twilight; there’s no need to work yourself up like this.” Celestia said wrapping a wing around my barrel. “Grant seems to be many things, but needlessly violent isn’t one of them. If you are truly worried about what Grant’s intentions are then feel free to keep an eye on him. I however believe that Grant sincere in his desire to help us. And that his eccentric behavior is his way of adjusting. Give him a chance Twilight, he may just surprise you.”

“Okay Princess, I’ll try.”

Eventually the party ended and I led Grant back to the library and he let out a loud groan as he walked inside. “Ugh, I think I ate too many cupcakes.” He said cradling his stomach.

“How many did you eat?” I asked with a sense of morbid curiosity.”

“That depends, how many are in a baker’s dozen?”

“Thirteen,” I replied warily.

“Then two of those, and a few muffins, and a ton of chips, and a whole lotta punch.” He replied matter of factly. I couldn’t resist the urge to face-hoof at that.

“Please don’t vomit on the floor. I’m the one who has to clean it.” Spike groaned.

“Don’t worry; I’ll be right as rain in no time.” Then Grant let out a long yawn and stretched for a moment. “I’ll crash on the couch if that’s not a problem with you two.”

“Okay, I’ll go get you a blanket and pillow.” I said while I went upstairs to help get Grant ready for bed. I gave him the blanket and pillow and he gave me a grateful little smile.

“Thanks Twilight,” He said before yawning again. “I’ll see you in the A.M.”

“Alright Grant, goodnight,” I replied, hoping that Celestia was right about Grant.