• Published 8th Nov 2013
  • 2,413 Views, 45 Comments

Finding the Rainbow - Joyous Apple



Rainbow dash wakes up in the Ponyville hospital with no memory. Told from her view.

  • ...
6
 45
 2,413

A walk.

Author's Note:

Okay. Sorry for being gone for awhile on this. Lots of PC problems and life problems. But, now I think I will be able to work on this again. This chapter can change. Depending on the comments, I can take this down and go back to the original. So please, comment and tell me, like, don't like it. I will go with popular vote. I feel like I kinda did something wrong with this chapter. SO, now with these annoying words out of the way, and you probably didn't read this, here is the story. Tell me if you did read this though.

Falling. I was falling. I don’t know what I did, but now I was falling to my death. I see the ground right below. I try everything in my power to stop myself; to somehow postpone or even stop the fall. I kick my legs and scream. I even try to fly. But, I keep falling. I don’t know how, but scarily, I could tell how far away the ground was. Kind of like instinct. I knew it was only a hundred yards away now. seventy five, fifty, ten.

I sat up with a jerk, crying and screaming in the air. I was screaming as loud as my lungs would allow me. I felt a hoof on my back and a faint voice as I sit there. I couldn’t make out what it was saying. After a second, I open my eyes and start to check myself. I could see that the fall was only a dream, that I did not hit the ground and was completely fine. But I could not stop shaking, the tears still flowing. I thought I was going to die. I couldn’t help but remember what it felt like to fall. But how did I know what falling felt like?

The dream felt so real. I was still crying, not only from the falling to my death, but for some other reason. This reason I couldn’t place, It felt awful. For some reason, I was crying and it somehow seemed more like the main reason for my tears. I look to my left to see Twilight looking into my face with worry. I instantly pull the blanket over my face and try to hide behind it, trying to shut off the outside world. I didn’t want her to see me like this. I don’t know why, but I began to feel sick to my stomach while crying in front of her. ‘Why do I feel this way?’

As I pull the blanket back over my head, I hear a sigh of relief from my left. I am still shaking from the sobs, and I try my best to hide them, but soon I can’t contain them anymore. I cry, I cry about all the confusion. About why I don’t remember anything, why I disappoint Twilight and I even cry about crying. I cry because of my fears and because of falling.

As I sat there sobbing, I felt something grab me. It was warm and soft. I don’t know why, but I felt a little sickened, I felt as if hugs were horrible, but that went away fast. I wanted it to stay. I wanted to grab and hug it back. So when I do, the blanket falls off and I see it’s Twilight. I didn't care anymore if someone saw me crying, not even her. And yet, the feeling that something was wrong was still there as I pulled her into another hug.I lose track of time and all else as I cry into her. I felt safe and sound. I felt at home. ‘Home? What is home?’

After a few minutes, I had begun to calm down. My tears had become nothing but sniffles now, but I still held on, afraid to let go, afraid to have to give up this warmth. I heard a sigh, and I knew I had to let go. When I did, I looked at her. She had a face of defeat and loss, I looked down, knowing it is my fault, because I messed up.

“Feeling better now?” she asks after a second. I didn’t want to tell her to hug me again. I didn’t want to worry her either. I didn’t want to worry anypony. ‘Why am I being so worried for others?”

“Y-yes.” She smiles and gets up. She heads off to another room in the library. As she leaves my sight, I begin to take in the entire layout of the library. Looking around, I stop my sniffles. After a few seconds of just looking around in a seated position, I get up. When I stood up, I felt like I needed to stretch and do some exercise. Wondering why, I continued off to the door. I stopped when I got to it and looked back. Looking around, I felt a little weird. This feeling, I couldn’t figure it out. “It just feels wrong.”

I feel as if I should just go and stay away from Twilight for a while. I did something and I should remove the problem, me. So, I looked back at the door and opened it.

I was instantly blinded by the light, having to blink a few times and squint just to see. It took a few seconds to be able to open my eyes all the way, but when I did, I saw that the streets were full of ponies. Fillies were running around and smiling, colts were bugging their moms, and friends were all running around and smiling. I started to smile sometime during my observations, it was sort of infectious. I took a few steps forward and the door closed behind me, bringing me back to why I was leaving. I looked back at the door and went back to frowning. I didn’t deserve to be happy.


With a sigh, I started to walk off. I didn’t know where I was going, it was just away, and that was all that mattered. If I disappoint one of my old and best friends, then I was a failure and shouldn’t stay. I don’t remember anything, but that shouldn’t matter. It is still my fault because I lost my memory and am no longer the same. I don’t feel different, but I can’t say for sure, because for that I would have to know what I was like before. It’s confusing. Whatever it is, it is my entire fault.


I had somehow made it to the center of the city. All around me, ponies were going about their business and keeping to themselves. It was loud, with ponies going up to the many booths that sat in what looked like a market, and buying up the goods that the pony happened to have at their booth.

I sat on a little hill that was a little distance from the market. Everypony was going about their business, and I stayed out of their way. I started looking at the food stands and my mouth began to water. When was the last time I ate? I couldn’t remember. My stomach growled, yelling at me for not eating, the gurgles even hurt a little this time.

After wincing from the stomach gurgles, I stood up and started to walk away. I didn’t have any money on me, so I couldn’t buy something and I was definitely not going to bug Twilight. The only place I could get something to eat or have money to get something was at my house. The one Twilight had shown me. That couldn’t have been my house. It was in the sky I would fall just trying to get to my front door if that were my home.

I was reminded of my dream and I shivered. The fact that I can’t even imagine having a home like that now, kind of shows that it probably wasn’t my house. Or, was I just not the same mare I used to be?

My stomach growled again and brought me back to reality. I was now in front of some sort of dessert shop. I looked at the sign that was hanging from the very pink building. It had a cupcake on it.

A bell ringed and I looked through the door as a young stallion left the building. Inside, I saw a line of ponies waiting for, what I assumed from the sign was most likely cupcakes. As the door closed and the buck walked past me, I got a scent of the sweets inside. My mouth was just watering from the smell. My stomach began to gargle again, I had to sit down and grab it until the gargles passed, the whole time clenching my eyes shut.

After the gargles had passed, I looked back up at the store. I looked around and hoped nopony saw me like that a few seconds ago. Unfortunately, somepony did. He was to my left. I don’t know how loud my stomach complained, but I think that he heard it.

He was a silver Pegasus with a blue mane that was cut short but a bit rugged and messy. He had the same color tail as his mane. He had pink eyes, which is strange for a stallion, or at least I’d yet to see a stallion with that color of eyes.

He smiled at me, and I looked down at the ground. Now I was being laughed at for being pathetic. I heard him enter the shop a few seconds later. I am pathetic, and now ponies were laughing at me.

With a sigh, I got up and walked across the street and sat under the shade of a tree, still looking down.

Maybe. Maybe if I tried to remember my past, I could fix this whole thing. It was my fault, and I need to. The only thing that I need is my memory. The doctor said that the only way that can help me now was time, but maybe he was wrong. Okay, I know that was a pathetic thought. But, maybe the time needed to remember could be shortened if I tried to look for memories. I remembered a few things in the hospital because they looked familiar. Maybe if I walked around and looked for things that were familiar, then I could start to remember faster.

A bag dropped in front of me and I jumped. I started to look for who put it there and dropped it. Not too far in front of me was the pink eyed stallion from earlier. I looked at him cautiously, wondering why he put the bag there. Had he dropped it and then flown down to retrieve it? Maybe he was waiting for me to move or hoof it to him. I looked down at the bag in front of me. It was a small brown paper bag. The top was rolled shut so he could carry it. I looked back. He pointed to the bag. I nodded and picked it up and started to walk to give him his bag. He put a hoof up and smiled. He shook his head with a smile.

“It’s for you.” He said in a chuckle.

Confused, I look at him after putting the bag on the ground. He pointed to the bag again. “It’s for you.”

I opened up the bag slowly. I was instantly assaulted by the smells of the cupcake shop. Inside was a pink cupcake with a few sprinkles. The smell was so much sweeter this close. It also smelled of cherries. I looked at the stallion again. “Go ahead, have it,” He pulled out a bag from behind him. “I have one of my own.” He smiled and opened up his bag and started to eat his.

I slowly took the cupcake out of the bag. I took a small bite of it. There is no way to describe the flavor. It was amazing. The smell of this cupcake was nowhere near as good as the taste. The cupcake was moist and fluffy, full of flavor. The frosting was perfectly whipped and wasn’t too thick. It was a perfect cupcake. In that one bite, I was completely taken over by the flavor. It was one of the kind, and yet something about it was also vaguely familiar.

I savored the flavor of the cupcake as I ate it, wishing I had more when I finished it. I walked over to the stallion. “Thank you.”

“No problem. It looked like you wanted one, and I couldn’t stand the look of a sad mare, especially a beautiful one such as yourself.” He smiled.

Did he just compliment me and call me beautiful? He said I looked sad? Oh no. Now I feel bad about him having to go out of his way to make me happy. I’m an awful pony.

“Your mane is beautiful.” He continued.

“You didn’t have to, you know?” I had to tell him that he was fine, that he did not need to do anything.

“What?” He confused for a second, then understanding sunk in. “Oh, that. Of course I did.”

“Why?”

“Like I said, you looked like you wanted one.” He smiled happily and it was somehow contagious, because I started to smile a little bit.

“Wow, you look even prettier with a smile on.”

Dear Celestia, was I blushing, I am pretty sure I was blushing?He chuckled. I was blushing, and probably harder now too. He cleared his throat.

“Hey. Uh…I was wondering…If maybe…you would like to, I dunno, go get something to eat later?” I was speechless. Did he just ask to go on a date? I would be shocked at remembering something else, like what a date was and being asked on one, but the fact that I was asked on one was the real shock. I was staring into his face in silence for a few seconds as I tried to process what was going on.

“Um…I..” What do I say?

He groaned and facehoofed. “You have a coltfriend, don’t you? Ugh, yeah I’m a fool. Of course somepony like you would already be in a relationship.”

Did I have a coltfriend? Was I in a relationship? I don’t have any memory. I hardly knew this stallion in front of me now, besides that he was nice. I could tell just from his personality, he even gave me a cupcake. No, I’m sure I was not in a relationship. They would have met me in the hospital, wouldn’t they? Yeah, they would. I would also have been staying at their house and not Twilight’s.

As I was thinking, he got up. “Sorry about that. Don’t worry about the cupcake, I was happy to cheer you up, maybe we could be friends?”

I made up my mind. I had to pay him back, and I was almost certain that I was never in a relationship before. And on another side note, I was remembering a lot of things on how stuff goes on, but nothing about me or those around me.

“Hold on! I’m sorry, I was just shocked. O-of course I would go out to eat with you.” I said, sheepishly smiling.

He faltered for a second, then got his train of thought together. “Really?! O-okay. Um, tonight? Wherever you would like, I’m new to town. Um, around seven?”

I started to giggle as I saw him blushing and try to figure out what to do. I only nodded. “Where would I meet you?”

He looked around and pointed to the tree I was under not so long ago. “H-how about there? At seven?” I smiled and nodded.

“Sounds nice.”

He smiled and flew off in the air. After he got a distance away from me, he did a little loop in the air. I giggle to myself and noticed how his form appeared off. If he would have tucked his wings in on the downward swoop, he would have been moving way faster. I cringed at the thought though. What if he screwed up and fell and got hurt? I just met him too. That would be awful. Flying is definitely not for me, especially with those risks.

I looked to the clock tower that was still visible from anywhere. It read that the time right now was two in the afternoon. Five hours, I had five hours. I had to clean up. Afterall, I was pretty sure that I was a mess, so I should clean up somewhere. I think I saw a spa around here somewhere. Maybe I could pay them back, like, use an ‘I owe you’. It probably wouldn’t work, but it could be worth a shot. ‘An “I owe you”? Things come to me, but not my memory about me.