• Published 7th Nov 2013
  • 12,305 Views, 107 Comments

Feather to Feather - Chatterjoy



Twilight is not the child of who she thinks she is. She is actually the product of a wish. How will this revelation affect her?

  • ...
13
 107
 12,305

Chapter 4

Twilight brought the tea back into the living room. The princess had grabbed a book on the shelf and was reading through it. Twilight studied Luna for a little bit but realized that Luna had not turned a single page. Strange, she did that when she wanted to avoid eye contact with somepony.

"Here is the tea. I'm afraid it's peppermint this time," Twilight said. She put the tray with the kettle and mugs on the table with her magic. Twilight was also avoiding looking at Luna at this time. Silence stretched between them. The sound of the sips the only thing they could hear.

"The tea is good," Luna said, attempting conversation, "Peppermint correct?"

"Yes."

More silence stretched onward. Twilight had grabbed her own book. The Alicorns sat around the table drinking their tea and reading their books. Twilight had finished her tea, and she poured herself another mug. "Would you like some more...Luna?"

"Yes, We offer Our gratitude." Luna replied without looking up from the book. Twilight poured Luna another mug of the peppermint tea.

"They've been reading and drinking tea ever since we left! When is Princess Luna going to explain the situation?" Rainbow Dash whispered harshly to her friends who were also crowding around the windows to spy on their friend.

"Maybe Luna will explain to me, when all her friends give her some privacy!" Twilight replied glaring up at the cyan Pegasus. Rainbow Dash turned her gaze to the purple Alicorn who had spotted her. She smiled nervously, and she quickly took off. Twilight's friends followed the Pegasus closely behind as well after realizing they had been caught.

Luna watched Twilight's friends leave dejectedly. She had sensed that their presence had never left after Applejack's suggestion to help them with the farm. Either this was her plan to get them to spy, or this was the plan of Rainbow Dash, who probably got the others in on it as well.

Twilight had also known that her friends were there still. Luna carefully studied her daughter, and she sipped her tea. Twilight was still reading the book, but had failed to turn any page just like she had done. Perhaps they had more in common then Twilight would want to acknowledge. She knew her daughter would want a quick explanation, but the words to say escaped Luna.

"Twilight," Luna began, as she set down her book and tea. She had to get this conversation going otherwise they would never be able to get on with repairing their relationship. Luna had basked in her time with Twilight whenever she could. This would be no different, even if Twilight hated her.

"I'm sorry," Twilight interrupted. She had set down her tea, but she refused to look away from her book. Her cheeks were red, and Luna knew that this would be an apology that would have been hared to have choked out. "I behaved too rashly." Twilight took a quick glance at Luna.

Luna smiled, "Apology accepted, We will grace it with an explanation of utmost care and truth." Twilight could only nod as Luna prepared to explain to her what had happened. "Twas a little more than a thousand years ago. A young earth mare wished upon Our full moon every month. She desired a stallion that her clan would accept. We eventually granted her wish, in return she was to sacrifice her foal to Us."

Luna looked away in shame. She had long since become familiar with this time's customs. No doubt Twilight was appalled, Luna glanced upon Twilight's face, but it was as neutral as her sister's when she did diplomacy.

"That sounded awful, but I am well read. I am aware that often in that time foals were given as compensation." Twilight responded looking away. Her face was contorted in sadness. "I was born from an earth pony then? I still don't understand." Twilight had returned her gaze to look at Luna.

"Yes, thou art correct, foals were given as compensation. It was also more than that. We desired a foal of Our own, but being a Princess and immortal at that, my sister had forbidden Us to ever be with another," Luna explained further. She was now idly poking at her mug and looking at her reflection within the tea. "We understood her reasoning, but the desire to have a family and perhaps be normal for once overcame Us. We sought other ways to be a mother. We found it when I granted the mare's wish."

"What ever happened to the mare?" Twilight asked.

"She found her stallion. Eventually, she made love to him, or how thou wouldst say se-"

"I know what that is, so can we move on?" Twilight interrupted. Her face was as red as one of Applejack's red apples. She refused to look at Luna now, and the Lunar Princess released a giggle.

"She gave birth to you. An Alicorn. When her stallion came by to see you he was appalled. Not by thine wings and horn, or by thy color. He was appalled by what he thought his wife had committed. He stabbed and killed her. He took thou and abandoned thine body on the mountain where I had granted the wish for the mare."

"Why didn't the mare explain to her husband the truth? Did she love me? How did I end up here?" Twilight asked. So many questions ran through her head. She had to know the answers.

"In time Twilight, let Us explain," Luna said. She waved her hoof at Twilight who was now leaning over the table to get closer to Luna. "We took you from the mountain. I named you Twilight for thine mane reminded Us of the colors of the time between day and night. We gave thou the name of Sparkle because thine coat shimmered in the moonlight. The mare like most who have been granted wishes probably cast the thought out of her head, or merely forgot. We are positive that the earth mare loved you. She sang you a lullaby before her death."

"How am I your child if you didn't give birth to me? And how did I still end up here?" Twilight asked again. She was close to leaning over the table again.

"Thou art Our child because twas Our magic that initially gave birth to you. Tis hard to explain in words. The mare would never have met her stallion if it were not for Us. Our magic let the connection between the two ponies happen, thus Our magic poured into love for each other which physically manifested in the stallion's se-"

"Too much information! Too much information!" Twilight screamed covering her ears. "There is not enough books in the world for me to forget this!"

Luna giggled again. This time the Lunar Princess used her wing to stifle her laughter as well as hiding her face, which was now matching her daughter's blush, but for an obviously different reason.

"You still refuse to answer how I got here," Twilight pointed out. The tension in the air had dissipated and Luna was becoming hopeful that their relationship could still be salvaged.

Luna became serious, "The answer eludes Us. We don't know thou will have to ask Sister on those details. We imagine that she used a time spell."

Twilight's gaze turned curious. "What did Princess Celestia think of me when she found out?"

Luna, who was about to sip her tea, froze. Her gaze suddenly shifted to any object other than Twilight. The Lunar Princess's wings ruffled uncomfortably, and Twilight could physically see her gulp in distress.

"What happened?"

"We had a dispute of sorts," Luna answered. Twilight gave a glare, and Luna resigned to the fate she was about to put both her sister and herself in. "Sister was not thrilled. She was furious, and she did not like thou at all. Thou was unnatural, something that reminded Sister too much of him."

"Him? You mean Discord?"

"Yes, Sister hated Discord with a passion. She was as furious as the sun on the hottest summer day. Tartarus could never match the fury that radiated from her." Twilight began to flinch away in terror, as she imagined her mentor hating her very life. "Fear not Twilight, We feel that most of her fury was directed at Us. Thou being at the castle would cause a political uproar. One of the very reasons why we were not to have a family that We so desperately wanted."

"But she hated me," Twilight whispered. She covered her face with her wings as the thought of her mentor staring down at her with hate filled eyes.

"On the contrary, We think that she had grown to thou. Thou may not see it, but We do. My Sister is very protective of thou. Take comfort from it," Luna said. She carefully walked over to Twilight and wrapped a wing around her. She brought Twilight to her chest and held the young Alicorn in an embrace of feathers.

"Twilight, I understand that thou may not accept Us as thine mother immediately, and We have come to terms with it," Luna comforted and kissed Twilight on the forehead. She was happy when the Alicorn didn't flinch away, but she did not rise to it either.

"Thank you for comforting me, but I have a lot to think about," Twilight answered. She pulled away from Luna's wing embrace and walked up towards the bedroom. The swishing of sheets and the creaking of the bed alerted Luna to the fact that Twilight was going to sleep on it, or just lay on it.

The Lunar Princess sighed but smiled. Things could have gone better, but they didn't go entirely bad as well. Taking a piece of parchment and gathering a quill and dipping it in ink, she began to write a letter to her sister. Celestia had requested progress on their relationship during her stay, and Celestia was not a pony to be defied. Luna had learned that the hard way.

Luna let out a big grin. She imagined all the secrets she could tell Twilight about Celestia, but her smile dissipated when she remembered that Twilight did not take well the fact that Celestia didn't like her the first time they met. To be expected, but still Luna hoped that wouldn't destroy the relationship between the two more than the fact that Celestia was her aunt.

Author's Note:

Wala! I have finally finished the chapter! What do you guys think?

Blurb.