• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 3,036 Views, 67 Comments

Five Score, Divided By A Different Time - Violet Runner



After getting the role of a lifetime Jeremy Taylor ends up turning into his characters alter ego from a show that ended a few years ago in this Five Score, Divided By Four side story.

  • ...
24
 67
 3,036

Chapter 6

Derpy’s perspective.

Steven gave me a full tour of the Facility. From watching the show I already had a basic understanding of what it was they do here, which was monitoring rifts in time and space for any abnormalities. He explained that so far all they knew about the transformations was that after Discord sent me and Doctor Whooves to this world he over through Celestia and had decided that this was the perfect place to send all the ponies in Equestria well he did who knows what.

Thanks to me being the Doctor’s assistant I was allowed into some of the more restricted areas but there wasn’t anything that interesting in them. Mostly just Information on different aliens, the locations of different rifts and the 97 missing episodes of Doctor Who. All the doors were sliding ones like in star trek or other sci-fi shows and movies, and all of them had been fixed with a button pony level so they could be opened without a problem.

We ended the tour in a large room that looked similar to the Danger Room from X-Men. Inside a group of Unicorns were putting away different sized weights, half of which had scotch marks or large chips in them, while a light blue Pegasus with a three toned blue mane and tail and two shooting stars for a Cutie Mark, attached a bunch of hoops hanging from the ceiling. Steven had left to go work on the TARDIS, so I just stayed in the room and waited for the flying lessons to start.

“Alright that’s it for now. And remember,” The instructor Unicorn said. “It’s just like what Tanis said to Kes in Star Trek Voyager Season 2. Episode 10: Focus on the goal, not the task.” With that all the Unicorns exited the room as a group of Pegasi entered.

“Ok everypony line up.” The light blue Pegasus said flying down. “Welcome To Flying Lessons, I’m your instructor Shooting Star. Some of you may know me better as one of the anonymous Wonderbolts.” Shooting Star said introducing herself. “Now, before we get started let's go a head and introduce ourselves, you already know my name so who would like to go first?”

“I guess I will.” I said stepping forward. “I guess you kind of all already know but I’m Derpy Hooves and i’m very eager to relearn how to fly.”

“Welcome Derpy. It’s good to have you.” Shooting Star greeted. “And the rest of you?”

“Lightning Dasher.”

“Rain Chaser.”

“Mist Dancer.”

“Thunder Tumble”

“All right, now that we got the introductions out of the way let’s move on to why you're all here.” She said once the introductions were done. She then stretched out her wings before flying over to a nearby table and grabbing a book before flying back. “This is a physics textbook outlining the rules and requirements for any object to be able to fly.” She said allowing us to get a good look at it before she throw it in the air where it was zapped by a Unicorn that stayed behind, causing the book to disintegrate into ashes. “Forget about them. Everything you may have learned about flight before becoming a pony, as of right now, no longer applies to you. Our flight is a form of magic, and just like Unicorn magic, our flight magic allows us to bend the laws of gravity allowing us to stay airborne and walk on clouds.”

“Now,” she said moving in front of us so we could all see her. “Everything you need to know about flight is already in your head, it was just locked away by discord when we were sent to this world. All we have to do is get it out. But for now, when I blow my whistle I want each of you to kick off from the ground, flap your wings hard, hover for a moment, then lean forward slightly and touch back down.” She instructed. “On my whistle. 3, 2, *toot*.”

When she blew her whistle I did as instructed and kicked off the ground closing my eyes as I flapped my wings. When I didn’t feel myself fall I opened my eyes to see I was now hovering a good two feet above the ground as were the other Pegasi in the group. I then leaned forward and touched back down.

“Good. Now that you have a feel for how it’s done we can move on to moving around.” She said as the section of floor we were standing on raised into the air as well as another section on the other side of the room. A net was then stretched across the gap a few feet off the ground. “Now, some of you may have been flying when Discord sent you here, thus flying in the dreams you had when you first started to change into a pony. What I want you to do is remember how that felt and then duplicate it. The task of this exercise is to fly from this platform all the way to the one on the other side of the room. You have to let it all go. Fear...doubt...and disbelief.” Shooting Star said seeing some of the hesitant looks on our faces. “Free your mind…” She said looking directly at me before doing a backflip off the platform and flying over to the other side.

“Wow.” The class said as we watched her seamlessly straighten out and land on the other side.

“Ok.” I said looking down at the net and then across the room where Shooting Star was waiting. “Free my mind...no problem.” I said closing my eyes thinking back to the dream and how I was flying through the Everfree Forest and what it felt like when I did, then about the exercise we just completed.

I took a deep breath before jumping into the air and let my instincts take over. When I opened my eyes I found myself hovering about half way across the gap. Looking back at the other pegasi, who all had looks of astonishment on their faces, a small smile crept across my face before I angled my wings forward and made the rest of the small flight across the room.

“Well done Derpy.” Shooting Star said with a bit of a smirk on her face. “I have to admit, you’re the first pony so far to make it all the way across on their first try. I would make a reference to an old overused meme but I'm’ not Spitfire.” She said with a laugh. “The show really didn’t put your flying skills in that much of a good light.”

“Well it did centre around the elements and the only character development I got was in The Last Roundup.” I said turning to face the others who were getting ready to take off.

“Come on you slackers.” Shooting Star called as we watched the others attempt to duplicate what I did, most of them only getting half way before falling onto the net and taking a small lift back to the starting point again.

After about another 4 minutes everyone managed to make it across the gap without incident and the net was retracted as the platforms lowered down into the floor again.

“Alright. you’ve all managed to pass and are clear to use this room to practise flying on your own.” Shooting Star said happily. “Just keep in mind that outside the high you go the harder you have to work your wings to stay airborne. Now I already have some rings set up if you want to test your agility but you are free to leave.”

“Right.” I said looking up at the rings before deciding to go check on The Doctor.

Author's Note:

Let's see who can find all the references in this chapter.