• Published 21st Nov 2013
  • 7,807 Views, 378 Comments

The Birds and the Bees - Scantrel



The Cutie Mark Crusaders are given an assignment in school that requires them to ask the Mane Six about facts of nature. The answers about "the birds and the bees" they get should make for a very interesting report!

  • ...
14
 378
 7,807

Pinkie Pie

Sweetie Belle wandered aimlessly through the streets of Ponyville, wishing she had Twilight's knowledge of magic so she could cast the time travel spell and go back to warn herself not to waste her time talking to Rarity. Sweetie Belle had to admit to herself that she had always wondered about the little closet that Rarity kept locked in her bedroom, but after this afternoon's events her curiosity was no longer piqued.

Unfortunately, she was no closer to getting her assignment completed and the sun was already starting its downward track towards the horizon. Maybe if she found Spike she could beg him to send a letter to Princess Celestia and ask if she could extend the day by an hour or two.

Sweetie Belle was so engrossed in her thoughts she didn't see the precariously perched packages that Mr. Cake was carrying as he stepped out of Sugarcube Corner. As a sudden shadow loomed over her, Sweetie Belle looked up and gave a surprised squeal, echoed by the "Whooaaaa!" from Mr. Cake as the two collided. For a brief instant, there was a cupcake hailstorm that would have made Discord proud.

Sweetie Belle worked her way out of the pile of boxes, blushing furiously. "Oh, Mr. Cake, I am so so sorry!" she wailed.

"Are you hurt? Anything bruised?" Mr. Cake asked with concern.

"No, I'm alright," Sweetie Belle replied. She tried to gather up the scattered cupcakes into the boxes, but it was no use.

"Now now, accidents happen," Mr. Cake said consolingly. "What's got you all in a dither?"

"It's something for school. I was going to ask Pinkie Pie for some help since Rarity wasn't any help at all." Sweetie Belle answered.

"Ahh, I see." Mr. Cake nodded thoughtfully. "Pinkie is in the kitchen, you can just go on in. Oh, and let her know we'll need three dozen more cupcakes for tonight please."

"I sure will, thanks Mr. Cake. Give my best to Mrs. Cake and the twins also." Sweetie Belle said more cheerfully.

Mr. Cake gathered up the rest of the mess from the street and made his way back into the shop to clean up. Sweetie Belle trotted in and headed towards the kitchen.

"Pinkie? Are you there? It's Sweetie Belle," Sweetie Belle called out as she walked past the counter.

"Oh hey Sweetie, I'm in here! Come on in!" Pinkie Pie called back from inside the kitchen.

Sweetie Belle walked into the kitchen and as she did she stopped short in surprise. Pinkie Pie was suspended upside-down from the ceiling in a leather harness. Her back legs were securely fastened by leather straps that ran further along her barrel to form a cross just under her forelegs, supporting most of her weight. Completing the ridiculous spectacle was the chef hat that somehow was managing to remain attached to Pinkie's head.

"What are you doing?!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

"Oh, just working on a new recipe for a super-duper pineapple upside-down cake!" Pinkie Pie beamed proudly. "I tried doing it right-side up, but that didn't seem right for an upside-down cake, and I couldn't turn the cake over or it wouldn't be an upside-down cake or I'd have to call it a right-side upside-down cake and that just sounded silly! So I figured out how to make me upside-down so I could work on the cake properly!" Pinkie explained, as if this should have been obvious to anypony.

"Err....right," Sweetie Belle said. "If this is a bad time, I could always come back..." Sweetie Belle offered, thinking that perhaps escaping back to the clubhouse emptyhooved was better after all.

"Oh, no need silly-willy! Now what can your Auntie Pinkie Pie do for you?" Pinkie Pie inquired.

"Well, I needed some help, we were studying nature in school today and I need to learn more about the birds and the bees," Sweetie Belle answered.

Pinkie Pie's eyes grew a little larger as she swiveled around in the harness to look at Sweetie Belle. "Okie dokie lokie," Pinkie Pie answered slowly, her tone a little uncertain. "Have you, ah, talked to Rarity about this?"

"I tried, but all she did was give me some gross book," Sweetie Belle sighed. "Something about labors and the heart or whatever."

"Ooooh, I remember that one, I got it for Rarity for her birthday last year. Which reminds me, it's only 126 days until her next birthday, I'll have to think up something for a present," Pinkie Pie mused. "Still, that really really wasn't the best idea to give you that one. If you wanted a book, you should have gone to see Twilight, her library is full of them." Pinkie offered helpfully.

"I know, but Apple Bloom is going to the library. We're all working on this project together." Sweetie Belle said.

Pinkie Pie giggled, "Oh my, I don't want to be a party-pooper smarty pants, but I really don't think you all will want to try and earn cutie marks doing that."

Sweetie Belle blinked. "Huh? Oh no, this isn't crusading, this is for a school paper."

"Ohhhh!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. "I see the problem I think." Pinkie drew a hoof to her chin as she thought, slowly swaying in the harness as she dangled. Finally her face brightened and Pinkie exclaimed, "You're using two words too much!"

"What do you mean?" Sweetie Belle asked, clearly not following.

"Well, you asked me about the birds and the bees which totally isn't about the birds and the bees because you said THE birds and the bees when I think you meant birds and bees. So you're using two too many 'thes' and that's why Rarity gave you the book." Pinkie said with a large grin.

"I guess so?" Sweetie Belle replied, still not quite understanding the difference. Realizing she needed to either get some solid progress or get out, Sweetie Belle pleaded, "So can you please help me with the birds and the bees?"

Pinkie Pie's grin grew even wider. "Help me get out of this thing and I'll do even better. I'll take you to the edge of the Everfree Forest and show you."


"And that one there is a Tree Swallow, which is a completely silly name because it can't possibly swallow a whole tree," Pinkie said, pointing a hoof at one small bird perched on a limb. "The other one over there is a Common Yellowthroat. I wonder what an uncommon one would look like?" Pinkie wondered aloud.

Sweetie Belle giggled, she couldn't believe how much help Pinkie Pie had been during their little bird-watching session.

"Pinkie, I owe you an apology," Sweetie Belle offered, a little pang of guilt welling up in her.

"For what, Sweetie?" Pinkie asked with some surprise.

"Well, it's just that when we were all deciding which pony to ask, I didn't think you would know so much about birds so I felt like you were a last resort," Sweetie Belle admitted. "I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to think of you badly."

"Oh, it's alright, even I don't know as much as Fluttershy or have access to a ton of books like Twilight. This was just something my Granny Pie used to enjoy and she taught me to like it too," Pinkie smiled. "I'm just really happy I could help out with your school paper and turn your frown upside down. And I didn't even need a harness for that!" The two girls broke into a fit of giggles at that.

"Ughh...I really wish Rarity would have been so thoughtful," Sweetie Belle answered. "I still can't believe that book she gave me." Sweetie Belle looked up at Pinkie Pie. "You ever wanted to wash your mind out with soap?"

Pinkie Pie pondered that a moment then answered seriously, "Mmm...no, I think I'd rather just use water, so all the little bubbles don't go fizzing around in your head."

"Good point," Sweetie Belle agreed. Sweetie Belle gazed back up at the sky. "I should head back to the clubhouse and meet up with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. We'll be able to get this paper done in no time, thanks to you Pinkie."

Pinkie smiled brightly. "Goodie! If you all get done early enough, drop by Sugarcube Corner and you all can help me finish up baking those three dozen cupcakes for Mr. Cake."

Sweetie Belle nodded happily. "It's a deal!" Pinkie waved a hoof goodbye, and the two parted ways. Sweetie Belle grinned smugly, she couldn't wait to finish her homework, make some cupcakes, then laud over Rarity how Pinkie Pie had showed her all about the birds and the bees for her paper.