• Published 12th Mar 2012
  • 5,337 Views, 177 Comments

The Reigns of History - 8chill



We live in the present, look to the future, and history is not but a thing of the past. Or is it?

  • ...
15
 177
 5,337

Ch08 All Alone


“This place just keeps getting stranger and stranger.”

I was continuing my journey through the forest; being mindful not to disturb the environment too much. I didn’t want to clue in my would-be pursuers to my direction of travel, nor did I want any more potential predators on my tail. It was a couple hours after my discovery the cloud factory, that I had noticed something peculiar about the forest. It wasn’t my current location that was the issue; rather it was the area up ahead that was the concern.

The area in question was interesting to say the least. The forest slowly becomes more condensed the further you progress. Tall, slender, healthy looking trees soon became twisted, decrepit pieces of forestry commonly found in horror stories. Firm, fertile land gave way to spongy ground barely able to handle the weight of the trees; let alone passing creatures. A faint but distinct scent of decay wafts in the air; most likely that of decomposing plant matter. The canopy was so dense that it almost completely blocked out the sun. What little light that made it through was further filtered by the sheer number of intersecting branches; casting a depressing gloom upon the ground. This was quite honestly surprising; seeing as the appearance and very nature of decay would suggest otherwise. Trees on the verge of death, yet alive enough to produce healthy living leaves?

But that was not all to this rather dreary place; oh no. The complete lack of sound was as big a warning signal as anything else. I couldn’t hear anything coming from it all. It was far too quiet to be natural as most normal places would have some manner of sound. It was as if it was devoid of life, which was in stark contrast to the obviously alive trees it held.

To test my theory, I looked around on the ground in front of me for a stone. Finding one quickly, I tossed it at a large bush. To my dismay, the results of this experiment confirmed my suspicions. The tell-tale sound of leaves rustling was absent as the stone made contact with the leaves. This meant that if I were to continue on through my sense of hearing will be lost. Not something I would be happy to give up. I will need all five senses and maybe a few more if I want to make it back home alive. Being handicapped in this fashion would only increase the level of danger that is already quite high to begin with. To put it simply, this place was bad. I don’t like bad.

I was not very fond of risky endeavors and decided to pursue a different direction of travel. But which way should I go? I could go left, but that leads to an open prairie. I had already nearly made the mistake of leaving the cover of the forest once so that was out of the question. To my right, a good twenty minutes walk away, was a large, fast moving river that quickly became intense rapids further down. Again it was open for all to see, something I didn’t need. Fast moving river plus no swimming ability plus sharp, pointy rocks equals one dead Carl. Well I could always go back the way I came. Back into the safety and loving arms of my very best friends; the ponies.

Yeah. Not happening.

So what do I do now? I don’t have all the time in the world to sit and think. I’m hungry, tired and the sun will be setting soon. Even if all the paths are undesirable, a decision must be made. Easier said than done as no matter which way I go, I was liable to have something catastrophic happen to me. But what was the correct action to take? What?

I didn’t have to wait long for an answer. A loud roar blasted through the trees, steadily getting closer with each passing second. I thought I had lost my hunter ages ago; but apparently the thing actual tracked me down! My choice was made rather quickly; courtesy of my friendly neighborhood predator. I ran directly into the ‘dead’ forest (as I decided to name it) and hid behind a tree. Peering over from behind the trunk, I could see a large beast covered in vegetation. I wasn’t able to discern its species, but I did know was that it was fairly large; nearly double my size. And to rub salt into the wound, the blasted thing was patrolling the perimeter of the ‘dead’ zone locking me inside. I couldn’t escape and the beast seemed to understand that by keeping a watchful eye toward my hiding place.

Well that settles it, this place sucks.


“Sister, art thou prepared for departure?” Luna asked, turning her attention towards the entrance of the royal flight deck.

“We’ll have plenty of time to enjoy the festivities. There is no need to rush, Luna,” Celestia replied, before exiting out onto the deck.

“We- I know that but it is hard for me to be patient. You know that I hardly get to attend most special events,” Luna responded.

Celestia sighed to herself as she looked at her sister, “I know Luna. I’ve seen how hard it’s been for you having to adjust so quickly to modern times. “

“Not to mention most of said events occur during the day,” she pouted.

“Come now Luna, don’t fret. There are plenty of interesting things that happen at night.”

“Oh? What do you suggest sister?” Luna looked squarely into her sister’s eyes. “Besides Nightmare Night and the occasional party, what other nightly activities can a pony attend?” She asked challenging her sister for an answer.

Celestia was at a loss of what to do. She didn’t have anything on hoof to placate her sister. There were other activities available for the night hours but most were just extension from the day. This wasn’t a position she thought she’d find herself in so quickly. An answer must be found or she’d risk possibly hurting Luna.

Seeing Celestia a bit slow to respond, probably thinking of an answer, Luna decided to simply drop the subject. “Let us not concern ourselves with that, we have time to discuss those matters later,” Luna said as she hopped into the chariot. She moved over onto her side leaving room for Celestia to get in. “Shall we go and attend this viewing?”

“Yes, lets.”

Following her lead, Celestia also climbed into the chariot, taking a seat beside her. After all initial safety checks were completed by the guards, they were ready to depart. They were just about to take off when the flight deck’s doors flew open. A nearly out of breath, Earth pony stood at its opening; eyes determined to accomplish his goal. He was one of Celestia’s fastest messenger ponies used to send messages from long distances.

“Your Majesties, We have an urgent situation that needs your attention!” He called out to them, before quickly closing the distance between them.

Surprised at sudden interruption, the sisters quickly leapt out of the chariot and met the messenger. Whatever the situation was, they would handle it as they always have; calm and thoughtful, befitting that of benevolent rulers.

“What happened, Nitrus?”

“Your highness, a code four emergency was issued from the southern region. “

The sisters were somewhat alarmed at this new information. Years ago, with the help of some of their most trusted advisors, they developed a system of indicating a situations threat level. The scale was measured in numerical units, one being the lowest and six being the highest. A code four emergency was nothing to take lightly and needed to be handled with care.
Celestia was the first to speak, “Where exactly was this message received from?”

“Arvaud.”

“What!? Explain.”

“They had just started final preparations for departure when an accident occurred. Or rather an accident had occurred.”

“What exactly do you mean?” Luna asked speaking for the first time.

The Pegasus looked a little uncomfortable before finally answering, “The creature they were meant to showcase escaped capture sometime last night. Nopony was hurt but one nurse was rendered unconscious as a result.”

The sisters were shocked at the recent turn of events. The creature had escaped and was running wild in Equestria. There was no telling the untold amount of havoc it could cause. While it didn’t harm a single pony, there was still a chance it could lash out violently if left alone. That was a rather unsettling possibility to have happen.

“Your highness,” Nitrus interrupted. “Arvaud is requesting immediate assistance in re-capturing the creature and await your response,” he finished looking expectantly to his rulers.

After a moment of consideration, Celestia made her decision. If the safety of ponies were in question she would do what is best for her subjects.

“Tell them that their request is granted.”


I take back what I said this place doesn’t suck; it really sucks.

The sun was setting and my way out was blocked by that creature. I had to keep an eye on it; lest it sneak up on me due to my decreased senses. I couldn’t stay there as night would eventually come and give it the advantage. So it was time for a change of pace. Against common sense, I decided to venture deeper into the forest hoping to find an alternate way out. I was doing alright by my standards until I walked across a patch of ground and fell into a pit.

Thankfully, it was made of the same soft, spongy material the forest floor was made out of. The only difference is that the dirt was dry instead of moist. Roots were jutting out the walls seeking a place to grab hold to. It shouldn’t be too difficult to find a way to climb up out of here by using the roots. I was just about to get started when I noticed something.


What's this?

In the dirt nestled in between the exposed roots, was a barely recognizable metallic object. Curious as to what it was, I decided to further inspect. Wiping away the dirt, I was surprised to find it to be a container of some kind. It had a handle on it, so I began to try and pull it out. It wasn’t easy trying to free it but after a few minutes of tugging and pulling it came loose and fell to the ground. It wasn’t all that heavy but had enough weight to sink into the ground a bit. I took a moment to take a look at my discovery.

The outer shell of the box wasn’t all that impressive a sight. It was riddled with holes and rust stains which were expected given its resting place. The condition of it was so poor that I could see that another smaller box was held inside. I pulled apart the brittle shell case to examine the new container.

It was a black case made of a synthetic plastic with two latches inside of two holes keeping it closed. It was made in such a way that you needed to use your fingers in order to open it. The plastic the case was made out of wasn’t biodegradable seeing as it hadn’t become part of the soil. I was curious about the case’s contents so I stuck my fingers inside the holes and pulled on both latches. Because the forest disabled sound, I didn’t have much warning as the case let lose a cloud of vapor in my face startling me.

Once the case was finished venting, I was able to get a good look inside. The inside was padded with spongy material typically used for holding delicate valuables. However, the ‘valuables’ turned out to be nothing but a stack of newspapers sealed in clear plastic and a scroll of some kind with a ribbon tied around it. I ignored the stack of newspapers and decided to check out the scroll. What could be inside it? Secrets to using telekinesis? Ancient Fighting techniques? Or maybe, if I’m lucky, a way back home?

Excited by the possibilities, I quickly removed the ribbon and unfurled the scroll ready to absorb its knowledge. Surprisingly, it wasn’t written in a foreign language; which I found to be a little strange but didn’t care enough to question it. I quickly read the scroll only to become disappointed soon thereafter. It was a scroll of techniques alright. Massage techniques.
‘Great, just what I needed the ability to bring pleasure to another’s muscles. This is a great find, ‘I thought sarcastically. I was ready to toss the scroll away but my eye caught something written near the bottom; a phrase that read, ‘In darkness, knowledge shines brightest.’

What did that mean? Does it want me to put it in total darkness? Intrigued by the riddle, I grabbed the scroll and placed it in the hole the box came out of. What happened next was interesting, the scroll slowly grew darker and lines started appearing over the text. There was a diagram of the human body along with notes written beside specific points visible on the scroll. The title of this secret diagram was labeled ‘Hidden pressure points and muscle control.’

Well this was an interesting development. I had in my hands information that could prove very useful to me. It had clear instructions on techniques and their effects on the applicant. I could use these to make sure my muscles are in top physical condition. Or I might be able to modify it to be used against my captors. These ponies’ bodies, while obviously different, were somewhat similar enough in construction to mimic a human body’s movements so that might be a possibility.

Sitting the scroll down for now, I turned to read the newspapers that were lying there curious to find more information. I just skimmed a few topics not really giving any all that much attention.

The New York Times is happy to report that North Korea has joined the UEA as the last member. This is a glorious day in history as we enter a new era of peace the world has never seen before. See page 4 for more details.

North Korea is in good relations with us? When did that happen? UEA? I’ve never heard of such a thing. I continued to skim through the paper before setting it down and picking up a new one.

The GSP have succeeded in making space travel more affordable for countries to invest in. Innovations in spacecraft and engine designs have considerable reduce complications slowing development. One day soon, most likely within the decade, commercial space travel will be a real possibility ushering in new wonders for us to enjoy.

They started up the space program again? That’s a little odd, but not impossible. I’m assuming the U.N. most of decided to make a global consortium to make space exploration more of a focus. Having had enough of that, I grabbed the last newspaper to finish off the reading material.

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that the end is upon us. Scientists have confirmed that an (SGR) or soft gamma repeater was detected in our galaxy. A magnetar has already flared and sadly, after thousands of years of good luck, the Earth's good fortune is gone. We are unfortunately directly in the path of the beam from a (GRB) Gamma-ray burst.
The Earth should survive this encounter but all life will be destroyed and the atmosphere contaminated; eventually being lost to space. This will make the Earth uninhabitable for millions of years as the effects that the gamma rays will have on the planet are numerous and partially unknown.

This should also be the end of our planet, but advancements in technology have given us more accurate instruments and projection models that may suggest otherwise. A high c-fractional neutron star is approaching in from below the solar plane, and will smash into the sun ramming it out of the way. Two large brown dwarves have been detected from opposite ends of the galaxy approaching the center of our solar system at an incredible velocity. The initial collision should cause stellar ignition; forming a new sun. The blast from this violent event will scour the Earth razing the planets surface.

This particular process would take millions if not billions of years to happen which is time we don’t have. We have already lost contact with satellites Erim and Xeyh due to the high levels of radiation and by the time this paper is issued all other space transmissions will be impossible. Spend as much time as you can with your families and loved ones; for the year 2346 marks humanity end. I bid you all farewell…

Huh? What the heck is this?! This is something I only hear from in Science fiction. Why is it in a newspaper? It can’t be real because it’s only 2015. When was this newspaper issued? Better yet, why was it on this planet in the first place? It doesn’t make sense.

I decided to look at the paper more closely to see if I could find any details to help answer my questions. I couldn’t really find anything out of the ordinary. I grabbed each newspaper and checked its issue date. To my annoyance, each one had a future date posted plainly on its surface. This was stupid, why would anyone place eventful newspapers and an ancient scroll in a highly protective case? Then go through the trouble of burying it. I guess you say they wanted to save or protect it but that’s silly. The case wasn’t even truly locked so anyone could have opened it. It’s almost as if they want someone to eventually find it. The only reason I could think of is………

Wait.

This wasn’t some sort of secret treasure. It was a time capsule; something meant to preserve information for others in the future to discover. But if that’s the case why would this be on the alien planet? What on Earth is it doing here? Wait. What.. on… Earth?

Oh no.

The harsh truth was made disturbingly clear to me. This entire time I believed that I was abducted from my home, whisked away onto some unknown planet for whatever purpose. But that wasn’t the case at all. The truth was I never left. I was on Earth; home. As hard as it was to believe my species is extinct. They no longer exist after centuries of living and incredible accomplishments.

I dropped to my knees in despair as the horrifying realization set in.

They’re gone… Everyone….Just gone……

Tears were percolating in my eyes; threatening to fall for the first time in years.

I’m the only one left.

The pain of truth was too much as I let loose a scream of pure anguish for the world to hear. There was no response; nothing at all to vent or bring some level of comfort. My voice taken from me by a forest that was unrelenting and cruel. For it did not cater nor acquiesce to a being’s distress. It simply did as it always had and silenced the voice; just as it had others. Silence the one…Silence the many…. It did not discriminate. I was all there ever was and all that will ever be. I was destined to be the only survivor of a race lost in the throes of history; forever alone to be.

The last man on Earth……