• Published 10th Nov 2013
  • 1,795 Views, 38 Comments

A Prosecutor's Past - Songbrony



After Phoenix Wright saves Rainbow Dash from being banished to the sun, Twilight learns that Trixie took the Prosecution position against Rainbow Dash because of a past altercation between her and Twilight, prior to her arrival in Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 38
 1,795

Revelation

Canterlot Train

10:48 A.M.

Sonata and Trixie were both in Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and were a year below me. Trixie was the top of her class with Sonata behind her. I need to find out who her idol was so that way I can see if it was somepony I knew. Maybe by taking it out on me she hoped to hurt that pony. But who could it be? I didn't have many ponies I considered friends during my time there outside of Shining Armor. Twilight thought.

She opened the book that she checked out from the library and turned to the page of Sonata and Trixie's graduating class. "I still don't understand how I didn't realize Trixie was top of her class. I knew every pony that made it to the top of the class. The Princess took me with her to all of the graduations with her. I may have been reading and studying on Starswirl's spells, but I always paid attention during the Valedictorian speech. I found it amazing to see so many other Unicorns who had amassed great spell casting abilities." she said to herself.

The train pulled up to the train station and everypony walked out. Twilight gathered up her book and as she stepped out she bumped into a pony. "Oh, I'm sorry." she said.

"Oh, don't worry about-" the pony said before realizing it was Twilight. "Grrr! Watch it Sparkler!" Trixie shouted.

"Trixie? What are you doing?" she asked.

"It's none of your business Twilight." Trixie said as she boarded the train with a suitcase.

"Are you travelling somewhere?" Twilight asked.

"Trixie is heading out to a more civillized town where she can perform without being bombarded with constant talks with those she wants to avoid." she said.

"Well where are you headed?" Twilight asked.

"Trixie will make her first stop at in Canterlot. Now that Mr. Wrong foolishly gave Trixie the money the Princess gave him for the trial, she will now rebuild her stage to its original magnificence and have it shine across the stars." she said.

"Well when will your first show be?" Twilight asked.

"Ha! You think that Trixie would allow you to come and see her perform? You're crazier than Trixie thought Twilgiht."

"I was just wondering how soon you would start to perform again! Besides, the performance you threw at Pinkie's party was better than it was when you first came to Ponyville. It was actually more entertaining than I had thought." she said.

Trixie's personality changed from her original boastful self to a more cheerful and happy look. What the? Twilight thought. As quick as it had changed, she reverted back to her original persona. "Do you think I need your approval? I know that my shows are one of a kind! I don't need the top of her class Twilight to tell me that!" Trixie exclaimed.

"Well think of it as a compliment. One Valedictorian to another." Twilight said.

"What are you talking about?" Trixie asked.

"I know you were the Valedictorian of your class in Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Sonata was in the same class as you and you outscored her." Twilight explained.

Twilight felt the depressing, sad pain that she felt when she saw the black locks that surrounded Trixie. "So what? As Valedictorian I should know how good I am at magic." she said.

"But why did you never mention it during your shows? I think it's something you would've mentioned to show how talented you are at magic." Twilight pointed out.

"Why should Trixie? Trixie has always known she was better at magic than most ponies. Even if others didn't really agree with her." Trixie said.

"Who didn't agree with you?" she asked.

"What's it matter? Trixie doesn't live with him anymore so he is irrelevent."

Live with him? Is she talking about her dad? Twilight thought.

"Um, Trixie?" Twilight asked.

"What do you want? I'm going to miss my train." Trixie replied angrily.

"Well, it's just that something you said caught my attention. You said that you didn't live with him anymore." Twilight said. Trixie's eyes grew as she realized what she was talking about. "Who was he? Your dad? A friend? Any relative?"

"I-it's none of your business Twilight! I don't care what you think you think you know about me, because it's wrong!" she exclaimed, a subtle hint at tears in her eyes.

Is she...crying? Twilight thought. I never imagined she would cry...

"Trixie...I'm sor-" Twilight started to say.

"I don't need you to say sorry! Just go back to Ponyville and live your perfect life with your perfect friends from a perfect family Ms. Perfect." Trixie exclaimed. She got on the train and slammed the door shut as she made her way to the farthest compartment from Twilight.

As the train left, Twilight couldn't help but feel a little upset by seeing Trixie like this. What did I say that set off that? Was it when I brought up whoever she lived with? That's not a reaction I would've expected, even from Trixie. she thought. I should talk to Sonata. I thought that maybe I had everything I needed, and now I'm certain I know who she looked up to. But I don't think that's everything to it. There has to be something about whoever it was she was living with at the time.

She walked to the the Detention Center and was stopped by a guard. "Halt. No one is allowed to enter." he said

"The Princess said I was able to come in and talk to someone here before she gets transferred." Twilight said.

"Name."

"Twilight Sparkle." she said.

"You have ten minutes." he said, and let her into the Detention Center.

Sonata was sitting behind the glass, drawing a picture on a piece of paper she had. "Hey Sonata." Twilight said, taking a seat across from her.

She looked up and smiled. "Hello Twilight. I was told I would expect one more visiter before being transferred. I take it that was you?" she asked.

"Yes, I asked the Princess if she could keep you here a little longer. I have a few questions about your days at the school if you don't mind answering." Twilight said.

"What do you need to know?" she asked.

"Well, first off, when Trixie was in school, did you visit any of her shows?" she asked.

"Yes. She was very talented and had a lot of promise. After the accident, it was hard for her around the school. I honestly felt bad for her. I hated seeing bullies, despite turning into one myself. She ended up shutting a lot of ponies out especially those who tried to help her."

"So not all the ponies started bullying her?"

"Not at first. After she started shutting every pony out, most of her classmates held resentment towards her and didn't want to be a part of her 'drama.'" Sonata said. "The Princess quickly put a stop to it at the school though."

"What about when she was at home or away from the school?" Twilight asked.

"Sadly, I don't know much about that. I always stayed after school, studying and practicing whatever I could. I shouldn't say anymore though. It's not my business and she should be the one to tell you." she said.

"I tried to get her to tell me. All she said was, 'I don't live with him anymore.' She left Ponyville after that and didn't say anything more on that." Twilight said.

"I see. Well, I guess if it'll help. Like I said, I don't know how she was treated outside of the school. I knew that she was having bullying issues in school. However, I knew something else was also bugging her. I'm not sure what it was, but there were a few times where she came in with some bruises on her legs. She blamed them on falling down some stairs, but I didn't believe her. The bruises were too big and pinpointed for them to be accidents."

"Wait, WHAT!?" Twilight exclaimed. "You're telling me those were there on purpose!?"

"That's what I thought. I never had any proof since I had never been around her at her house. But it was the only explanation that I could think of."

"Did you confront her about it?" Twilight asked.

"When I did, she shouted at me, saying to mind my own business. It wasn't pretty. It's what started my resentment towards her. Because no matter who tried to help her, she blew them off and started bullying ponies herself. There was only one who she tried to get the attention of, and it wasn't her teachers." Sonata said.

"And who would that be?" Twilight asked, already knowing the answer.

"Her dad." she said.

Her dad? That wasn't the answer I expected. But if what Sonata is implying is correct, then it would make sense for her to want her father's approval. And with Trixie saying that she didn't live with 'him' anymore makes her father that much more of a probable answer. Twilight thought.

"Did these happen commonly?" she asked.

"About twice a month. Just when they started to disappear, they would just reappear with no explanation, other than the stairs. I may not like to admit it, but she was not the clumsiest pony. It didn't make sense for her to fall down stairs every few weeks." Sonata said.

"So you're saying her father abused her about twice a month? That would be around the time we had our exams."Twilight said.

"Correct. And each exam was different per student. She tested our weaknesses each time, making it impossible for anyone to get a perfect score." she explained.

"Yeah, every time they came around I was always just a few points short of perfect." Twilight said, before realizing how that could have sounded. "Oh! I didn't mean it in a bragging way! I just know what you mean!" she said, trying to rectify what she said.

Sonata gave a light laugh. "It's alright, Twilight. I understand what you mean. Most of us were trying to prove ourselves to the Princess. But I believe that Trixie was trying to prove herself to her father."

"But something I don't understand is why did they happen after she started looking into the entertainment business?" Twilight asked.

"Well he was a very wealthy lawyer himself. He had written a bunch of the attorney books that we had to read in our law classes during school. My assumption is that he wanted her to be like him. He never missed a day at work. Except for one. He had just won the toughest case of his career and took a day off to recuperate and look over everything to make sure he had the correct verdict given. He had never lost a case, but he always said that he wanted a truthful verdict, even if it meant he would lose a case." Sonata explained.

"Really? I didn't know her father was an attorney." Twilight said. "She told me it was something her parents wanted her to take."

"It was. While we all took a very basic and uninformative class on the law, she chose to take an advanced class on the topic."

"And when she started failing the exams, her parents started..." Twilight said, unable to finish the sentence.

"Yes. Sadly, it's all I know. Her father was her biggest role model. She had others, but her father's approval was the only thing I know for a fact she had been seeking." she said.

"How'd you find that out?"

"Because she always used to talk about him before she pushed ponies away." Sonata said. "He meant everything to her. I'm not sure what happened after the bruises, they disappeard half way through the year, but I know she looked up to him and just wanted to make him happy for the longest time."

"And I doubt she'll talk to me about it." Twilight said, feeling sad for Trixie. I had no idea. That would explain why she does what she does during her shows. She's trying to get approval, and during her school years, she had to start bullying to make up for what she didn't get at home. she thought

"But that still doesn't explain why it pertains to me. Why does she hold such a huge resentment towards me if it wasn't the Ursa incident?" Twilight asked.

Sonata looked at her confused. "You mean she didn't tell you? I thought that's why you came to me." Sonata asked.

"That wasn't it. I originally came here curious about her school life. But do you know how it pertains to me?" Twilight asked.

Sonata hesitated before giving an answer. "I do. But...I don't know if I should be the one who tells you."

"Please, Sonata. I need to know so I can figure out this whole thing." Twilight said.

Sonata sighed. "Okay. Well, during the last few years of her time in the school, she had really started to drift from her dad. This was after she took the law classes and her father still didn't seem to like her entertainment dream. I don't know what really happened, but I could infer that he didn't pay much attention to her anymore. The way she carried herself after the law classes and how she acted towards everyone seemed to be of someone who needed attention. She hadn't been receiving any from home anymore and it was a big change from always getting positive attention, to negative, and then to none."

"What about her mom?"

"I don't think her mom was in the picture. She never talked about her and I had never seen her." Sonata explained.

"So she figured negative attention was better than no attention." Twilight concluded.

"Yes. She saw you and how you were viewed by your peers and became jealous. She wanted what you had. She saw how great with magic you were and wanted to challenge you to get the attention of the students who used to bully her and regain some positive feedback." she explained.

"I didn't want any of the attention. I just took the tests and participated in a few talent shows to test myself under pressure." Twilight said, defending herself."

"I didn't mean it as a bad thing. Other ponies looked up to you, but Trixie admired you more than anyone else. The way you composed yourself when you cast spells and your determination to be the best inspired her."

"I wasn't trying to be the best!" Twilight exclaimed.

"I know you weren't. But Trixie saw that you were the best. She wanted you to acknowledge her and try and share your knowledge in magic. But you were always trying to improve yourself and others in the tutor classes that you didn't notice her. She didn't qualify for the tutor program because of her grades. She could've been a tutor, but she chose not to." Sonata said.

"So, because I was too busy studying, she thought I was ignoring her." Twilight said. "I didn't mean to. I didn't even know she was trying to get my attention."

"Don't blame yourself. You two were in separate classes and only saw each other in the halls and during the talent shows. She had always tried to impress you, but she always did it in the wrong way. She would put others down, making their grades fall which would send them to you for help in the tutor program." Sonata explained.

"So basically, Trixie wanted me to hang out with her because she was one of the best students. She felt like she was worth my time. But when I didn't notice her and ignored her, she took it personally and started resenting me, trying to find a way to gain my attention." Twilight said.

"I'm not sure if she was trying to gain your attention, but I know she wanted to show you that you weren't all that and that she herself was more talented than you." Sonata said. "She felt like you didn't deserve it. So, my guess as to why she wanted your friend to get banished to the sun so badly was to show that she could beat you at something and be higher up than you. It's why when you humiliated her in the talent show year after year she became more and more mean to everypony. She would boast that you weren't big at all and get beat by you. She hated thinking she was right and being proven wrong."

Twilight took it in and thought about it. It would make sense. I mean, Trixie has always had it out for me in one way or another. And the trial had nothing to do with my magical ability, yet she still tried to beat me. Was it really for revenge? For beating her and shooting her down more and more during the talent shows? Or maybe she was just trying to boost her own confidence that she could be better than me.

"I don't know her true intentions. But you were her idol. Like most ponies, they just want their idols to notice them and interact with them. Some take it with stride when they don't and move on, while others can't let it go, like Trixie has been unable to do." Sonata said.

"Do you think if I try and talk to her about her entertainment abilities that she would be more willing to open up to me?" Twilight asked. "I know her show business means a lot to her, and maybe if I show her an interest into her own interests, maybe she'd be willing to tell me why she did all of that."

"Perhaps. But I don't think you'll get all the answers. She's very secretive of her past and covers it up with her thrid person persona as a way to hide her emotions." Sonata said.

"Your ten minutes are up. It's time to leave." a guard said.

"I hope you are able to find what you need. I doubt I'll see you again before I'm transfered." Sonata said.

"Probably not. I wish I could do something more to help you though. Especially after what you did at the end of trial and for helping me now." Twilight said.

"It's perfectly alright, Twilight. The only thing I want to ask of you is to take care of the money I gave you for Cruise Control's sister's treatment. And...possibly writing back to me, if you wouldn't mind. I haven't made many friends over the years, and I consider you one, despite all that's happened."

"Of course Sonata." she said with a smile. "Send me a letter when you arrive and I'll write back right away."

"Thank you." Sonata said smiling.

She was led out of the room and Twilight headed back to the library.

Ponyville Library

11:05 A.M.

I think I have everything now. No. I know I have everything. It's time to confront Trixie. she thought. She looked at the book she had brought back from Canterlot. She really didn't seem to want to talk to me. And she seemed sad when I mentioned that Pheonix had already left. Would she feel more comfortable opening up to him? she thought.

"Spike!" Twilight shouted for her little assistant.

"Yeah Twilight?" he said as he walked into her room.

"I need you to send a letter to the Princess." she said, taking out a paper and quill.

"Is there anything else you could use me for other than as a mail service and a house maid?" he said, crossing his arms.

"Spike you know I've needed your help a lot in the past with more important things than mail and cleaning." she said. "You're part of my family. Besides, I do my share of cleaning too."

"No you don't! I've never once seen you clean up a mess you made in the library! Last week you just grabbed a book and read." Spike exclaimed.

"Well..." Twilight stammered, knowing he was right. "Well I was just in a rush and needed to find something important."

"It was the third book of the Daring Do series." Spike said.

"And I had to read it really quick!" Twilight retorted.

"For what? You could easily recite the entire series by heart! You've read each book about a gazillion times!"

"Only 10!"

"Still a lot of reading." Spike said crossing his arms.

"How about this Spike. If you send this letter, I'll help you more around the library and even throw in a few gems for you." she offered.

"Deal." he said, taking the letter and sending it to the Princess.

"Thanks Spike." she said with a smile.

"So, what did you need to tell her?"

"Just that I would need some help from her tomorrow." Twilight said.

"You mean with that Trixie stuff and how she was at the top of her class?" he asked.

"How'd you know about that?"

"You told me you were going to talk to her. Plus you talk in your sleep when you're stressed." he said. "You know how many times I've been woken up from you talking about this test or that test from the Princess? More times then I can count on my claws."

"Oh. Well, yes. It is about her. I don't know how she'll handle everything with me knowing this information, but I hope she'll talk to me. She looked up to me, so maybe I can use that to get her to open up to me." Twilight said.

"Are you sure she will be willing? I mean, you did win the trial and embarrass her."

"I didn't mean to embarrass her though! I just wanted to clear Rainbow's name." she exclaimed.

"But she had tried so hard! And yet you still won! It was as if no matter how hard she tried you were still better than her!" Spike bragged. "She'll never compare to you."

Twilight hesitated. "Spike...she almost did. If it weren't for Fluttershy she would have beaten me. She was better than me when it came to prosecuting. That trial would have been over in a day if it Phoenix didn't help."

"But you still won! So that makes you better!"

"Don't say I'm better than her Spike." Twilight said, suddenly angry. Before she didn't care if ponies thought that she was better, but now, after knowing what she did about Trixie, she felt bad. It didn't seem fair for Trixie. She was a talented Unicorn who knew a lot. It was just that her situation forced her to become very vicious in her attempts to be noticed.

Spike let out a belch and a letter appeared on Twilight's desk. She opened it up and read it to herself. "Okay. Good. Tomorrow I'll talk to Trixie and the Princess will help out with that spell of hers. I hope she'll be more open to talk to him." Twilight said.

Author's Note:

Coming up on the end here. I'm going to try to make everything connect right, which is a lot harder than I thought it would be, so don't be surprised if there isn't another update for another few months. (I'm a perfectionist with this story for some reason and I don't know why....)