• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 5,838 Views, 684 Comments

Perseverance of the Ancients - The Bourgeoisie Bear



Twilight is sent to learn more about humans.

  • ...
68
 684
 5,838

A Standing Ovation

The diplomatic quarters of the Colosseum was a fun place to be at with good friends. There were comfortable couches, good food, and lots of laughs. They had enjoyed the company of one another, trading stories, and talking about anything that came up. Admittedly things were less tense without King Viggo around.

The moment seemed right for Twilight. Now in the privacy of the diplomatic quarters, she was able to tell her friends about her mission from Celestia. To learn everything there was to know about the humans, to find a way to reason with them; beyond the 'I'll give you five spears, eight hunting knives, and a machete, for three human slaves.'

Twilight found herself leaning onto her human. He didn't seem to mind. He even leaned against her a bit as well. They had grown close, oddly enough. He didn't mind Twilight's occasional hug, pat on the head, or even when Twilight lifted his lips to show his teeth to her friends and explain, or try to explain their evolutionary significance. She would also sometimes turn to him and flash him a smile, he would smile back.

Twilight also told her plans of going to the frontier, learning the human's primitive language, studying them and negotiating with tribal leaders. All with an optimistic, yet determined point of view.

The others sat in silence once Twilight finished her telling. The human sitting by Twilight's side looked at each of them, wondering why they would always stare at him when they thought he wasn't looking.

“Thats...” Rainbow struggled to describe what she had just been told. “...actually terrifying.”

That wasn't the message Twilight was trying to convey. “Humans,” Twilight began, “have been growing in number. They are becoming stronger and more organized. Everything points to a higher level of cognitive development.” When her friends gave her confused stares she coughed. “I mean a higher level of brain power, they're getting smarter. Changing. Whatever is wrong with them, whatever causes them to mutate, is being weeded out by the process of evolution. Meaning the strongest breed while the weak don't, making stronger less mutated offspring. That is unless the specific mutation doesn't increase their chances of survival. At least that's what my research is pointing at, I won't know until I go to the frontier.”

Fluttershy raised an eyebrow. “I... understand where you're coming from but... humans are...” The timid mare looked in the human's direction, as if she was scared that the human would snap at her and get offended by something she would say. The human pretended not to notice her looking at her, he didn't want to spook this timid thing. “...unpredictable,” she let herself finish. “The frontier is dangerous Twilight. Are you sure you want to go?”

Without even thinking about it, Twilight nodded. “I am. Celestia and Equestria need me.” All of her friends gave her worried looks. “I'll be fine. I still need to study for a week or two, then... I don't know... I didn't really plan that far ahead.”

“Pfft!” Rainbow scoffed. “Twilight not planning that far ahead. That's a new one!” She let herself to fall into a fit of laughter.

Twilight just rolled her eyes, used to her friends antics. “I've narrowed it down to the northern humans, not the Equestrian ones. They're just sickly weak things.”

Pinkie was near tears, clopping her hooves together nervously. “Be careful when you go Twilight. I wouldn't know what to do if something happened to you.”

This sight actually made Twilight feel a little bad, for putting her friends in this position. “Oh Pinkie.”

“And, I, ummm,” Pinkie looked at Twilight then back at the human she was sitting next to. “Don't forget that you're not alone in this. We can help you. And...” - She pointed at Twilight and her slave. - “you two look so close, I would feel a lot better if the two of you went together.”

That gave Twilight something to think about, and it showed. She looked back at her human. “I, huh...” Twilight thought back at her time spent with Octavo, how a friend had saved her life, when she was realizing her fear of humans, he was looking out for her. She wouldn't make the same mistake twice. “I... was actually going to ask Applejack to look after him while I was gone. But you may be right. I probably should bring him with me when I go.”

“Consarnit Pinkie! Could have used him on the farm!” Applejack let out a laugh, feeling no ill-will towards her friend, they all joined in.

While the laughter was dieing down, Twilight looked up at her human, considering Pinkie's advice. The human returned a smile she didn't know she had on. He then lifted his hand slowly, showing no aggression and placed it on her head.

It felt oddly good, like a message almost, except on top of the head, but he was getting dangerously close to the high-nerve ending area around her horn. She was already blushing, even if her friends weren't really paying attention. And that's when it hit her. Oh no! I never told him not to touch a unicorn's horn! Please! Not in front of my friends!' It felt too good to stop, but that hand was getting awfully close.

A sudden knock on the door caught the attention of the human, causing him to put his hand away. Awww...

Spike strode in looking around, wondering what they were laughing about. “Hey everypony. The matchup is about to begin,” He said with clenched claws and a pumped up demeanor. “Come on! Round two, and Shining still has eleven of his recruits in this. While King Viggo only has his five.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. Well the warlord did only bring nine of his warriors to participate, while my brother submitted thirty of his best recruits. Even fifteen Equestrian stallion competed to get in. She kept her little quips to herself though. It was still turning out to be an awesome day.

They went out through the bar into the royal stands, and as soon as Twilight opened the door, there was the sound of loud galloping followed by the clash.

Shining spotted them right away and waved them over to his side. “Hey, Twiliy! Finally coming back up, huh?” All the gloom was gone from his face and tone. He seemed back to his regular self.

“Mmhhmm.” When Twilight looked down below she saw another griffin victory.

Off to the side, Twilight also noticed that the the king of the griffin tribes, the leader of the northern horde, King Viggo, was drunk. “Yeah!” The warlord took his victory with a big gulp of mead. “Hiet 'em with tha- with uer spear! I mean tha lance. The poikey end!” His head was bobbing, using the railing to keep himself up, but soon even that wasn't enough as he tilted over and fell with a loud thud. Hitting his head on the crystal marble floor.

“Finally,” Shining sighed. “I thought he'd never pass out.”

The human took the other spot next to Twilight, towering over them all even while he leaned forward to put both hands on the rails to look down below. The next match was beginning.

Twilight was still looking at the passed out griffin. “Has he been drinking during the entire intermission?”

Shining snorted. “Yeah. That and he's been telling us about his fights against the human tribes.” Shining turned to his wife. “He also told us stories of the humans using highly mobile advanced cannons against his armies.” He gave his sister a silly smile with his lips pursed together.

Cadence had her hoof on her face trying to suppress a giggle. “That story. Was hard to ignore. I still can't get the idea of humans trying to figure out how to use a cannon out of my head.” Her resistance faded and she began to laugh. “Without them exploding themselves by accident!”

Shining was still giving Twilight his stupid look, she laughed and looked away.

The griffin's thane, a noble griffin, charged at Shining's recruit and hit him dead on in the middle of his double barrel chest, knocking him down as if he were contending against a child. Another griffin victory.

“Damn,” Twilight heard Shining curse under his breath. “That guy, he's been beating the best of my best with ease.”

After winning another victory for his warlord, the griffin saluted to the arena. He then began to scan the royal stands, after not being able to spot his warlord up there.

Seeing her human's stance change, Twilight watched him, he brought his fist up and hit his own chest, then in a wide arc movement saluted off to the area. The griffin down below could be seen by all squinting up, trying to figure out what the heck just saluted back at him. It wasn't his warlord, that much was obvious.

Twilight facehooved as the thane was all but shooed off the arena as the next contenders entered, the griffin was still trying to get a glimpse of the strange creature he saw.

Shining looked up at her human, aware that the slave had been watching him for some time. He took a tentative step back. Wondering what the human wanted, or was going to do. The slave tilted his head as he looked right at the stallion, a curious expression. “Damn.”

Twilight facehooved again. “Oh no. He's learning curse words. He's been listening to our conversations... Shining!” When she looked up she saw her brother stifling a laugh. “I'm going to get you back for that.” He just put his forelegs up and gave her an innocent look.

“He couldn't have learned it from me,” he lied. Twilight rolled her eyes and sighed.

They went back to watching the game. The next two matches both pitted Shining's recruits against each other. They all gave their shouts and cheers to the victors. But the one after that, was extremely interesting.

A plain looking stallion, one of Shining's finest, took his assigned side of the tournament. The shouter called out, “Entering, Sir Accordance, knight of the Crystal Empire.” The crowd cheered.

Mulling over this, Rarity turned to Shining. “Excuse me, Shining dear.” The stallion looked over to her. “Why is it that Accordance is a knight when no other of your guards are. I thought that the Crystal Empire didn't use them anymore.”

Curious as well Rainbow Dash trotted up beside them. “Yeah, I was wondering that as well.”

Shining laughed a bit as he put his hoof behind his head. “The Crystal Empire is from a different time and these things show it. A knight is a minor noble, it's hereditary. It's something you have to earn, but being from a noble family is a prerequisite. A few minor houses managed to survive Sombra's rule. Like Accordance here.”

The shouter announced the other contender. “Entering, Alf, officer of the Griffin Kingdom.” Then came in the biggest and bulkiest griffin that was competing. It wasn't who Viggo claimed to be his, 'best warrior' but he was the largest. He carried his heavy armor and large lance on his side with ease to his assigned spot.

Without hesitation upon seeing his opponent the stallion saluted to Shining. Who waved back.

“Interesting,” Shining whispered. “So he thinks he can still win?” Leaning forward, he watched the flag bearer signal for them to charge.

The two gave it all they had, the griffin barreling forward threatening to steamroll the stallion under his weight, while the unwavering knight steeled his resolve. It was a picturesque collision, with the knight's lance launching the griffin off his talons and paws off the ground, while the knight shrugged off the blow done to himself. The crowd roared.

The human whistled again.

To get a better view Shining stood straight up with his forelegs on the balcony rails. “Yeah! Perfect!”

Twilight and her friends cheered as well. Even her human apparently knew what side to cheer for, something that hadn't escaped Twilight's notice.

The knight down below nodded in their direction and was led away.

Rainbow Dash flew up into the air. “Oh that was just too awesome for words!”

All the while Shining kept a smirk on, knowing that King Viggo's seasoned veterans were strong but so were his new recruits. It was an important thing for a guard to be a quick learner, because Equines rarely went to war.

The rest of the match ups had expected results, mostly griffin wins with a few for the Crystal Empire now and then. It didn't take long for the round to be over. The sixteen contenders only had a total of eight match-ups after all.

Fortunately for King Viggo's pride he was able to recover after the round was over, in no little thanks to his quick griffin metabolism.

Prince Shining, Cadence, the warlord, Twilight and her friends were huddled around the bar.

Viggo rubbed his tired eyes. “So, you say that three of my warriors made it to the third round?”

Shining nodded, he himself, Viggo, and Cadence were off on the side while Twilight and her friend's were having a different conversation of their own.

The griffin stretched his beak, it was a wonder that he hadn't broken it when it hit the ground. “I expected at least four of them to make it. I suppose it doesn't matter, my three against your five. In round three.” He lowered his claw off his face. “And you're saying Alf lost?” The warlord shook his head. “Honestly I half expected him to win the entire competition. That griffin can be fearsome when he's in the right mood... or the wrong one.”

Off on her side, Twilight looked around. Noticing that they, under normal circumstances would be plotting and fighting against each other. The griffin with their northern hordes. The humans with their fearsome, tireless tribes. Even the equine, with their meddlesome tendencies, and desire for a stable realm.

Here they were, just eating and casually talking to one another. It wasn't a sign of improvement but rather an almost ironic event. Not a one to engage in pessimism, Twilight still found reason to smile.

“Hey Applejack,” Twilight looked over to Rainbow Dash getting Applejack's attention. The farm mare looked up from her apple pie that she ordered. “Which one of us do you think is stronger.” She pointed to herself then to the human, she kept a way too proud smile on the entire time.

Applejack looked at her friend with half-lidded, unbelieving eyes. “Rainbow, Twilight's human has to weigh at least three times more than ya'.”

The weight difference argument fell flat on her. “Doesn't matter to me, and if you're so confident of that then why don't you put your bits where your mouth is. Ten bits!”

“Come again?”

Instead of answering Applejack, Rainbow Dash turned to Twilight. “Hey Twi! How about you let me challenge your human to a hoof wrestle.”

Before she answered, Twilight thought about a section of the Training Humans book she read just yesterday. “I don't know Rainbow. The books all say that you shouldn't play rough or violent games with your human. It could make them 'snap'.” She added emphasis to that last word, having being mentioned in all the human books with ominous, foreboding diction.

Rainbow sighed dramatically, slumping down onto the bar counter. “Ahhh geeez Twilight! Don't be such an egghead. Come on! I won't hurt him too badly... I already made a deal with Applejack.”

For a moment it looked like Applejack was going to say something, but changed her mind.

Sitting in a corner seat Rainbow Dash propped her foreleg up to the human sitting next to her. The human meanwhile looked at the limb in confusion not sure what to do with the limp positioned in front of him. Slowly, unsure of himself, the human brought his arm out from under his cloak. Revealing a large and well-defined arm. He put his elbow on the counter and stretched his hand out to the mare.

Rainbow's mind was already wondering if it was possible for her to be able to talk her way out of this. She had seen him without his cloak on only once, when he fell asleep on the sofa in the Royal admission area. His arm had shrunk in her memory, she didn't remember it being so big. “Heh heh, okay... umm.” To her disdain, even Twilight was giving her a ridiculing look, having seen Rainbow's surprise at his physique. All fear vanished from her as her drive to win took over. She grabbed the humans hand roughly. By now all her friend's eyes were on her.

Her brow furrowed as her smile grew. She banged her other hoof on the counter. “One Two Three GO!” She used all of her body to try and bring his hand to the outside of the bar counter, almost pushing the interlocked hand and hoof with her body.

The human meanwhile watched the mare in front of him grunt with clenched eyes. Completely unsure of what was going on. He looked to Twilight. His master just looked back at him, unsure of what he was thinking. Then the human looked behind Rainbow to Applejack, who was getting tired of Rainbow's antics already. The farm mare mimed what she wanted him to do, using her own foreleg to show him how to slam it mercilessly into the bar counter, keeping a devilish smirk on her face while she did it.

Admittedly, Twilight saw what she thought of as a rather cute 'Ooooooooooooohhhh,' mouth movement after receiving Applejack's instructions. He looked down to Rainbow who was still grunting and clenching her teeth together.

There's no way this can end well, Twilight thought to herself as the human's hand twisted and slammed Rainbow's hoof into the counter. That would have been bad enough for the overly proud mare, but even worse the human lost his grip on the hoof, and Rainbow was sent flying over the counter into the bartender's drinks.

Everypony watched Rainbow Dash's collision with wide eyes, even the human was watching it in horror. For some reason the bartender was the one with the quickest reflexes as he was already in the kitchen area before the poor mare had even hit the ground, thinking that the human had snapped and was fixing to start eating the closest ponies in the room.

Everything was still for a moment. For several long seconds. The human truly frightened now, looked around nervously. Breaking the silence a soft moan came from behind the counter. “...Owwwww. Ooooowwwwwwwww.”

Twilight stood up to look over the counter to see Rainbow in the center of broken bottles. Luckily though there was no blood. The griffin fell off his stool try to get away from the human. “G-gu~ards!” Did his voice break like a little filly? the change in his tone was so noticeably different for a half a second that despite everything around her she managed to catch that strangeness. “Guards!” It was back to normal.

The others didn't see that it was an accident, Twilight realized. They probably thought he just hurled Rainbow Dash over for no reason. He didn't. His hand just slipped. I have to regain control of the situation... ummm....

Before Twilight could think of what to say, the human jumped over the counter to Rainbow Dash, one foot briefly touching the counter as he launched himself into the air. 'OH SWEET CELESTIA! GOD OF MERCY MURUSTANG! HE REALLY DID SNAP! HE'S GOING AFTER HER LIKE A RAGING BULL!'

A face came that she realized would haunt her for a long time came to her. Twilight was back at Canterlot, the human was foaming, mad with rage, completely insane. She was useless, utterly useless as her friends had to fend for herself against the onslaught. But that didn't happen. Before Twilight was completely overcome by fear, she found a part of her that she didn't know existed inside her. Twilight shook off the fear that had enveloped her, she didn't care if she was afraid of rabid humans. Allowing a human to rip her friends apart limb by limb wasn't an option. Twilight drew on her reserves of courage and charged a spell.

The human strode forward, taking calculated steps to Rainbow Dash to avoid the bits and pieces of glass. Upon seeing him she put her hooves out in front of her. “Oh please no! You win! You win! I give up!” His shadow long and ominous completely covered her, she put her wing over herself to shield her body from the blows that would come.

Deep down Twilight was proud of the spell she had charged, it was far more powerful than the spells that Octavo had used, and it was more powerful than any spell he could use. Instead of giving him a nasty burn this would completely vaporize the human. Such was the extent of one of the most powerful unicorn alive, now turned alicorn. Twilight had it aimed right at her slaves head. A pang in her gut hit her, remember his training, the time spent with him. Twilight had never gotten around to naming him, such minute things often slipped by her, but she did care for him, and here she was.

The human knelt over to Rainbow Dash, who was already trembling. When he attacks her, I'll fire, but then and only then. Please don't make me do this...

For the second time everypony froze when the human spoke. “Sorry... Rainbow Dash.”

Twilight let the spell she had charged up fade to about half strength, and that's when she noticed that both Shining and Cadence had their own spells charged. They glanced over to Twilight, and mimicked her reaction, reducing the intensity of their charged spell.

Moving a wing aside Rainbow was able to see the human's outstretched hand. She looked up to see his sorry face, his brow hung low at the sides, his mild smile. Setting herself up right she took a hesitant hoof up to his appendage. The hand slowly moved to her, wrapped itself delicately around her hoof and lifted her up.

Still unsure about her safety, Rainbow held her head low even after she was on her own hooves.

Twilight sighed, letting her spell completely fade away. “I knew this was a bad idea.” She collapsed onto the counter. The idea of executing her slave at point blank range did a number on her. He was very much a friend to her, she knew that now.

Taking a step caused Rainbow Dash to grimace. She moved her front left hoof. “Ahhhh... I think...” She put pressure on it. “No, it's not fractured, but it's bruised from my fetlock to my elbow, and it hurts rrrreeeeeeaaaaaalllly bad.”

Seeing her trouble the human keeled down to her and took a look at it, then gently ran a finger along the length of her foreleg's bones. With hurt pride Rainbow glared at him. “Yeah, that's where you hurt me tough guy.” He looked her over for a moment, then began to brush away pieces of glass off of her. Rainbow stood there uneasily letting him basically pet her.

Shining looked around. “What happened?”

Applejack shook her head. “The most one sided hoof wrestle that ever existed. Believe it or not.”

Shining's eyes went wide. “That happened from a hoof wrestle?! She went flying over arose the room from that!?”

Rainbow couldn't hide her blush. “Oh... come on... I almost had him for a minute there.” The human continued to find tiny pieces on her, somehow never cutting his own hand.

Two guards came bursting into the room, finding the human they pointed their spears at him. Shining was on top of things today however, he held out a hoof. “It's nothing. False alarm.”

They lowered their spears. “We were told a human went wild here, Prince Shining.” They gave the human a confused look.

“We mistook his behavior. Return to your post.”

“Hey!” Rainbow gasped as the human raised her wing to get a piece of glass out from under there.

The guards jolted at the noise but stopped themselves, then they took their leave. The warlord watched them leave, glaring at them as they went. “Took them long enough to get here. He could have snapped. Then we would have all been screwed.” The fact that no one was paying attention to him just made him more angry.

A clock went off, rattling and making noise like crazy. Shining looked at the others. “Round three is beginning. Do you want me to tell them to hold it for a while?”

“I'm fine,” Rainbow answered. “Don't hold it for me.” She took a step forward grimacing. The human then walked in front of her and scooped her up. “What the?! HEY!” They all regarded him with apprehension again. Rainbow wiggled a bit not sure what was going on, then he jumped back on the other side. Rainbow began blushing even harder now, being carried around like this, but she didn't dislike it. Looking up at him, she seemed accepting of his help, he was gentle enough.

Noticing that the human was waiting on them, they moved on. Twilight watched them go ahead of her. He never picks me up like that. Suddenly Twilight had a brilliant idea of the next trick she was going to teach him. It involved a lot less walking for herself.

The sun was beginning to fall, it was a long eventful day. “Entering,” the shouter called, “Garth, junior officer of the Griffin Kingdom.” A skillful fighter immersed, one of the few to have made it this far.

Twilight took her spot next to her human, he was still holding Rainbow.

“Entering Granite, guard of the Crystal Empire.” The crowd cheered.

The two competitors went to their respective spots, both watching the other intently, until the standard bearer waved his flag. The two galloped toward each other at impressive speed, they crashed into each other with great force. The smaller contestant, the stallion, was thrown to the ground by the griffin's lance.

The next set began to assemble. The warlords best warrior emerged. “Entering Sir Olaf, Thane of the Griffin Kingdom.” The crowd roared, respectful of the griffin's skill.

“Entering Topaz, guard of the Crystal Empire.”

When they collided no one was surprised by the outcome. The stallion struggled just to make it out of the arena, he held his head low in shame.

The next match was a set of two of Shining's guards against each other, since there were only three griffin still competing so far.

The next match began.

“Entering Felix, officer of the Griffin Empire.”

Rainbow Dash was getting very uncomfortable with being held for so long and began to squirm. “Uhhh, can ya' get me down?” Before Twilight could even tell the human what to do, he set her down.

“Entering Sir Accordance, knight of the Crystal Empire.” They all leaned in closer upon seeing the knight.

Again the knight saluted to his lord. Shining waved back.

The standard bearer waved his sign. The two were off. Both steps making a loud thunder before the clash. Accordance made a perfect connection, while his competitor didn't. The knight capitalized on this and drove the griffin to the ground. The crowd went crazy.

'That's the entire round,' Twilight realized. 'It's even now. Two griffin against two of Shining's guards.'

They didn't go back to the bar. They just stayed in the balcony and talked to each other. The mock battle that Cadence spoke of finally played out. It was intense and well scripted. It was an ancient king leading the mighty Crystal Empire into battle against a massive human horde. From what little history Twilight knew of the Crystal Empire she could tell that the city they stood in was one of many that used to inhabit Equestria's northern border. That and the humans have become much more stronger since the setting of the play, both in numbers and physical strength. They were evolving, that was for sure.

Twilight wanted to talk to her brother some more but he kept making small talk with King Viggo and she didn't feel comfortable interrupting them. On the other hoof, Cadence broke away from them several minutes ago and had been talking with Twilight's friends. Wanting some answers she made her way to her, her human followed her.

It seemed like a good time to talk to her sister-in-law, she wasn't talking to anypony right now. “Hey, Cadence.”

Already smiling from hearing Twilight's voice, Cadence turned. “Hey yourself. I hope you've been enjoying the tournament.” Cadence was one of the few ones to feel comfortable around the human, even after his incident in the bar.

“Yeah.” Twilight looked over to her brother and Viggo. “Is everything alright. Shining seems a bit tense.”

Cadence looked worried, but not surprised as she looked over to her husband. “He's fine. Just stressed. A lot of what's going on right now, came very sudden to us.” Twilight gave her an unsure look, not sure what to say. “We're glad that the tournament is going well though.” Cadence took a step closer to Twilight with a bit of slyness in her eyes and tone. “Truth be told I was a little worried that not a single one of Shining's guards could have made it to this round.” Cadence winked at her. “Everything's fine though. Really.”

After the historic victory of the mock battle was over, round four began.

“Entering Sir Olaf, thane of the Griffin Kingdom.” The grizzly veteran entered and took his spot.

“Entering, Bronze Hammer, guard of the Crystal Empire.”

The standard bearer flew his flag. In the aftermath Hammer ended up taking a nasty hit. He fell, but he put in a good fight. No pony was really surprised.

Then it was Sir Accordance, the knight, against Garth the officer.

Twilight saw worry of Cadence's face. She's just hoping that a stallion can at least make it to the last round.

They set off. Both giving an intimidating charge that would cause lesser warriors to turn and run. Then they connected. The knight was hit hard, but dealt with the blow in a way only a knight could. He drove forward despite the pain causing the griffin to actually fall on his back.

The crowd gave their guard a standing ovation. Trumpets blared, it was picturesque, again. All the Equines cheered even Shining and Cadence. Twilight even heard her human shouting and cheering in his strange human language that was almost competently drowned out in all the other noise.

There was only a brief break for the two last contenders until round five began. This surprised Twilight, thinking that the two would get some time to rest before their final confrontation.

“Entering, Sir Olaf, thane of the Griffin Kingdom.” They had their prepared ceremony ready when he entered the arena. Deep battle drums echoed out in a very griffin-like song. The crowd kept their clapping and cheers to a minimum.

Then when the knight emerged they went crazy again. “Entering, Sir Accordance, knight of the Crystal Empire.” Same with him, the Crystal Empire had a little ceremony ready should one of their own make it this far.

Before they set off, they both turned and saluted their leaders. They waved back.

There was a longer pause than normal, to bring out tension Twilight realized, yet it was unavoidable. This was a tense moment. They both swayed side to side, ready to dash out as soon as the standard bearer gave his signal. Every pony was on edge. Should the knight win, despite the Crystal Empire's small size, none would be able to deny their military might. Should the griffin win, it would let others know that the griffin's glory days weren't all behind them.

The falling sun bathed the crystal Colosseum in its orange fading light.

The signal was given. The flag was waved. They both dived for one another. Each giving it their all. Holding nothing back. The lances connected, both gave their best effort so far, their best 'connect' with their lances they could give. Neither went down, their heavy armor saved them. The crowd cheered as the contenders each trotted up and down the path. They set up for a second charge.

The flag was waved again and both charged. Each fighting for it a bit harder than last time. Knowing of their opponents strength now. Except this time one of them was thrown down. Sir Accordance, at his body's limit fell upon the sand. The trumpets still roared, the crowd still cheered, though much of it was held back.

The sun still continued to set, the day would move on. Twilight, her friends, Cadence and Shining, and the warlord especially applauded the performance.

It was still a wonderful day with her friends, and in the end that's all she wanted. There was still the diplomatic talks to be had, greeting the contenders, congratulating them on their trophies and medals, but the day was mostly done.