• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 8,727 Views, 2,787 Comments

Cheerilee's Thousand - xjuggernaughtx



Cheerilee goes on one thousand terrible dates.

  • ...
19
 2,787
 8,727

PreviousChapters Next
Date Fifty-Seven - Rolling With The Punches

Cheerilee double-knotted the laces on her skates. It’s going to be fine. If foals can do it, so can you. Dropping her hoof back to the carpeted floor, she rolled the skate back and forth a few times. With each pass, the ground seemed to slide away from her with alarming suddenness. Sweating, she added another knot to each skate.

“You okay?” Sprocket glided over to her with a fluid grace that inspired deep envy. “You don’t look so hot.”

Swallowing, Cheerilee dug down deep and found her special smile. The one that helped put her students at ease when they’d done something that had embarrassed them or were feeling especially unsure. “No, no! I’m, um… I’m excited.”

Sprocket’s eyes drifted down to her hooves. “I think you’re cutting off your circulation. Your legs are swelling.”

“Mrgf fmfp mkblbv!” Cheerilee said while tugging at the laces with her teeth.

“Sorry?” Sprocket replied.

Cheerilee sighed. “I’m just a bit nervous, too. It’ll pass.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be right by your side until you find your balance” A slow smile crept its way across Sprocket’s artfully scruffy face. “I sincerely hope that takes all night…”

Cheerilee’s heart skipped a beat, and her cheeks burned. Between his slight beard, tousled, sun-bleached mane, and twinkling eyes, Sprocket just oozed roguish earth-pony charm. She offered him a skate-clad hoof. “Oh, I’m an awfully slow learner when I want to be. You might have to take extra time with me.”

“We’ll just see how the night goes. Further attention might be in order,” he replied, hooking her fetlock and hauling her up to her hooves. “I take pride in my work, after all. So what do you—whoa!

Whaaa!” Cheerilee’s other hooves shot out from under her in three different directions. Running furiously in place, her legs worked into a blur while she fought to maintain her balance. Finally, her skates settled on left and she careened toward a wall before Sprocket’s grip on her fetlock tightened and he yanked her back.

“Hmmm. This might be harder than I thought,” he said as he draped a leg around her barrel and pressed her firmly against his side. “You weren’t kidding when you said you’d never done this, were you?”

Cheerilee shook her head. She could feel her cheeks burning again—this time unpleasantly—but when she caught his eye, she found herself grinning. “I guess you’ve got your work cut out for you.”

Winking, Sprocket nestled her more closely against his side. “It’s a grind, but every job’s got its upsides. Take this one.” He tilted his head over to her, then waggled his eyebrows. “The scenery’s fantastic.”

Cheerilee sniggered and rolled her eyes. “Just get me out onto the rink, Grassanova.”

~~~

“Will you watch it?” Cheerilee snapped at the passing teens. One of them had whipped by her close enough to ruffle her mane.

“You’re doing fine,” Sprocket said, steering them at a snail’s pace through one for the skating rink’s curves.

Cheerilee’s knees definitely did not think that they were doing fine. They were clambering for solid, dependable hoof placement in the immediate future, with one hundred percent fewer circular attachments thrown into the agreement. With each gliding advancement, they argued in favor of going on strike. Her hooves seemed to agree, and they often headed for the door. Or the concession booth. Or the restrooms. Often all at once.

But each time she found herself out of control, Sprocket adroitly pulled her back into position. After a short while, her hooves found a certain rhythm to follow. She leaned when he leaned, and they traced a shallow arc together around the oval rink.

“See? It’s not so tough,” Sprocket said, pushing them slightly to the left. A grinning stallion whizzed by them, then leapt into the air. Twisting through a complex series of spins, he landed facing backwards and doffed his hat to Cheerilee. “Soon you’ll be doing stuff like that, and poor ol’ Sprocket will be sitting all alone on the benches.”

Cheerilee shook her head at the display. “I think you’ve got a while before you have to worry about—whoops!” Her right, front leg flew out and she twisted toward the floor.

Turning with her, Sprocket scooped Cheerilee up into a standing position. One hoof around her waist, the other held her rogue hoof as well as it was able to through his skate. Together, they spun in lazy circles, face to face in the center of the rink. As they slowed, Sprocket looked away for a moment. “Um, it’s probably gauche to mention right now, but we should talk about the fee for this lesson.”

Cheerilee stiffened. “Fee? What fee?”

“This one.” Pulling her in close, Sprocket kissed her.

Her eyes flew wide, then she leaned in. The light, spicy aroma of his cologne filled her senses, and his body felt blazing hot against hers. The world around them dimmed.

Or it did until the whistling started.

Snorting out a series of giggles, they broke apart. “You’re just jealous!” Sprocket yelled out to one of the passing groups of kids.

“Yeah, right!” the colt fired back, laughing. “Go get a room!”

“Look, I think I need to sit down for a few minutes.” Cheerilee said, still panting a bit. Her heart was racing, and her knees were trembling worse than ever. “I don’t think I can stand on four legs much longer, much less two.”

“Okay, let’s—”

A crackling speaker came to life, followed by thumping music. “Alright, Hilltop Rink roller-fanatics! It’s Friday night, and you know what that means!”

As a cheer rose from the crowd, Cheerilee turned to Sprocket, her eyebrow arched. “What does it mean?” Across the rink, several ponies waved to their groups and rolled off into the arcade.

“No idea,” he said, shrugging. “I usually just skate out by the pond, but that’s no good for a beginner. It’s too bumpy. I wanted you to start—l” Sprocket frowned up at the speaker, then continued in a louder voice over the thumping beat “—to start on a smooth floor.”

A cold lump settled in Cheerilee’s stomach as she tracked the steady stream of stallions and mares exiting the floor. “Let get out of—”

“That’s right!” screamed the speaker. “You’ve waited all week, but it’s time to tighten those laces! Hilltop Rink proudly presents Equestria’s one and only out of cont-roll skating event: Shock ‘n’ Roll!”

Sprocket hesitated for only a moment before pushing off toward one of the exit doors, but it was a moment too long. The ponies still on the floor screamed when the lights when out, then giggled behind their hooves when several unicorns hiding in alcoves above the rink fired out swirling, twisting beams of light from their horns in time with the music. From somewhere that Cheerilee couldn’t quite see, a thick fog began filling the room.

“Let’s just find a wall and follow it!” Cheerilee said, squinting through the mist. While dazzling, the unicorn’s lighting effects were making it very difficult to judge where they were. At each end of the rink, a blinding beam of arcane power pierced the fog, and where it met the floor, the boards glowed.

“So get ready, skate-o-holics! We’ve got the light! We’ve got the sound! All that’s left is that kar-azy ground! Hold onto your hide, ’cause you’re about to ride! Ride the wave, that is!”

Cheerilee and Sprocket screamed and threw their legs around one another when the floor dipped. What had once been a flat surface had turned into a steep hill. Several groups of skaters flew past them, leaning into the acceleration.

“Get me out of here!” Cheerilee shrieked as her hooves scrambled in all direction. Somehow, her flailing seemed to increase their velocity.

“I’m trying!” Sprocket’s head twisted, trying to look everywhere at once. “I can’t figure out which—aah!

The floor beneath them tilted hard to the right, rising as it went. Traveling at breakneck speed, Cheerilee and Sprocket found themselves skating parallel to the building’s wall, then into a teardrop loop. Just in front of them, the pony that had doffed his cap at them earlier wiped out and slid down the rest of the loop’s decline.

Cheerilee screamed again when Sprocket scooped her up, then threw her across his broad back. He had just enough time to jump over the prone stallion. “We’re going to break every bone in our bodies if we don’t get off this floor,” he growled. The fog cleared up just enough to see that the ahead had morphed into a series of moguls. A pack of whooping ponies high-hoofed each other as they navigated the difficult terrain. Grunting, Sprocket shot off the path and out into the open air.

What are you doing?” Cheerilee said, wrapping her hooves around his neck as tightly as she could manage.

“Ow! Watch those skates!” he replied, leaning away from where her wheels had slammed into his ear. “If we want to get out of here, we need to fool those unicorns. It looks like they’re enchanting the rink when the skaters get there, so I’m trying to take a path that they won’t expect.”

Cheerilee glanced down at the floor rippling and twisting beneath them. It seemed terrible far away. “Why don’t you just talk to them?” she yelled back over the blaring music. “Oh. Right. Are… are you sure about this?”

“No,” Sprocket replied, his mouth set in a grim line. “Do you have any better ideas?”

Shaking her head, Cheerilee held on for dear life.

“Okay, now that everypony’s warmed up,” the speaker yelled again over the music, “let’s get this party started!” Several more unicorns with slightly bored expression trotted up to the half-wall that separated the floor from the surrounding lounge area. Each levitated a rubber ball from a bin and shot it out into the mass of skaters. Off in the haze, several meaty thunks echoed out, followed by screams and laughter. As the balls bounced back, the unicorns fired them off again.

Shaking his hoof at them, Sprocket angled for the closest exit door. “You maniacs! What is wrong with you? Somepony’s going to get hurt here!”

The nearest unicorn catch a careening rubber ball and fired it out into the fog. “Hilltop Rink is a Skate At Your Own Risk family funporium. Says so right on your entrance ticket.”

“Well, get us—”

But Sprocket’s words were ripped away when the floor sprang up beneath them. Suddenly, they were soaring through the air again and back into the thick things.

“They’re working to keep everypony together,” Sprocket yelled out over the music. “Look, I think we’re going have to jump for it!”

Cheerilee’s eyes widened. “What?

Sprocket looked back over his shoulder at her. “This place is designed to keep skaters in, but we want to get out! To do that, we need to do what they don’t expect us to do. If we don’t, they’ll just keep funneling us back out onto the floor!”

Cheerilee released her death grip on Sprocket’s mane just long enough to wave at one of the unicorns. “Hey! Hey! Help us!”

The unicorn gave a half-hearted wave back and returned to shooting multicolored beams of light through the fog.

“Look, I know you’re new to this, but we’re going to have to work together!” Sprocket held her eyes for a moment before turning back to the floor. They were just about to land again. “I’m just not strong enough to jump out of here with you on my back. You were doing great before. You can do this!”

Cheerilee bit her tongue as they landed with bone-rattling force. “I… I can’t!

“You can!” he replied through labor breaths. “All we need to do is skate together for a few seconds to build up speed, then jump whenever the track rises again. Five seconds! That’s all it’ll take, and then we’ll be out of here!”

Trembling, Cheerilee tightened her grip around his neck, then slowly—very, very slowly—she forced herself to relax and slide back to the floor. Immediately, her hooves scrambled out from under her, but Sprocket hooked his hoof around her barrel. Taking a deep breath, she willed her hooves to match his, stride for stride.

Within seconds, they were picking up speed, assisted by the rink, which had chosen to dip down into another valley. Cheerilee’s mane streamed out behind her, and the wind made her eyes tear slightly. She’d clamped her jaw so tightly shut that it was beginning to ache.

“Ready…” Sprocket called out when the floor tilted up again.

Cheerilee’s leg muscles were burning, but she forced them to keep up.

“Almost…” he growled.

Sweat streamed down Cheerilee’s brow, but she skated on.

Now!

Together, they leapt as they crested the hill. The pair arced gracefully over the writhing wooden floor and out toward the cushy couches that ringed the lounge.

“See?” Sprocket said, grinning. “I told you I’d be right by your side the whole time. Now—oof!

A barrage of rubber balls slammed into Sprocket, and he fell, Momentum yanked Cheerilee out of his grasp, but off into a new direction. While he plummeted back toward the rink, she now flew out toward the double doors that led outside. Cheerilee barely had time to squeeze her eyes closed and clamp her jaw shut before she slammed into the doors.

They flew opened with almost no resistance, and she was suddenly rocketing down Ponyville’s steepest hill. She hasn’t given the name ‘Hilltop Rink’ much thought on the way up, but as she careened out of control down that same path, it seemed like an incredibly irresponsible place to have a skating establishment.

“Get out of the way!” she yelled unnecessarily as she flashed by several shocked ponies. Up ahead, another group dove out of her chaotic, zigzagging path. “Get out of—uh oh.”

Cheerilee’s pupils shrank to pinpoints, and she backpedal with all of her might, but it did little to arrest her ever-increasing velocity. Velocity that was taking her directly into Ponyville’s town square, which was currently hosting the Rare China and Extremely Delicate Pottery Festival. And past that, Ponyville’s Haphazardly Constructed Fruit Stand Festival. And the annual Half-Filled Cardboard Box Festival.

Sighing, Cheerilee stopped backpedaling and leaned into the inevitable.

PreviousChapters Next