• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 8,727 Views, 2,787 Comments

Cheerilee's Thousand - xjuggernaughtx



Cheerilee goes on one thousand terrible dates.

  • ...
19
 2,787
 8,727

PreviousChapters Next
Date Four - A Flight to Remember

Mrs. Cake leaned through the doorway that separated Sugarcube Corner’s kitchen and sales room as the bell above the bakery’s entrance rang merrily. “Oh, hello, Bon Bon!” the baker called, wiping her flour-dusted hooves on her apron. “You’re here for those petit fours, aren’t you?”

“Are they ready?” Bon Bon asked. “I know I’m a little early, but I was in the neighborhood, so I thought I’d pop in and see. I can come back…”

“Oh, heavens, no! Don’t do that!” Cup said, disappearing into the kitchen again. “I finished them a little earlier this morning.” As the sounds of clattering and loud banging emanated from the kitchen, Bon Bon stretched her neck over the counter, trying to get a peek at whatever it was the baker was doing in there.

Sweating lightly, Mrs. Cake finally returned. “Here you go!” she said, grinning.

“What was all that racket?” Bon Bon asked, loading the box into her saddlebags.

“Oh, well… We chain the storage areas now, you see,” Cup said, rolling her eyes.

“Pinkie?” Bon Bon said.

“Pinkie,” Cup answered with a sigh. “Honestly, she’s loads better than she used to be, but after that disaster with the Founder’s Day celebration, Carrot’s not taking any chances.”

Bon Bon leaned over the counter conspiratorially, cupping a hoof around the baker’s ear. “Speaking of disasters, did you hear about Cheerilee?”

Cup’s eyes dilated rapidly. “No!” she breathed. “What happened?!”

“More like ‘what didn’t happen’!” Bon Bon returned, covering her mouth to suppress the giggles.

“Well, come on!” Mrs. Cake said, stomping a hoof in mock irritation. “Don’t make me beg! I’ve been trapped in here all day on Pinkie duty!”

“She went out with Caramel for a late picnic lunch yesterday,” Bon Bon said, twisting her head left and right to scan the room for whatever eavesdroppers might be lurking there.

“And…” Cup prompted. Everypony knew Caramel was a little light upstairs, but just going out with him shouldn’t have facilitated a full-scale whisper conference from Bon Bon.

“Well, I bumped into Redheart earlier today and she told me the whole thing!” Bon Bon said, biting her lip to keep from laughing. “It seems that Caramel really pulled out all the stops. He had the baguettes, a wine and cheese platter, a little basket… the whole works!”

“Oh, that’s right!” Cup gasped, bringing a hoof to her mouth. “He stopped in here yesterday for a small coffee cake!”

“Anyway,” Bon Bon said, warming to the story-telling, “he’d apparently read The Big Book of Obscure Romantic Outings or something because he brought this huge kite along. He said that he thought it would be a real memory-maker if they flew it together.” Bon Bon paused to snigger. “Turns out he was right!”

“Oh, I remember!” Cup said, looking up and away as she cast her mind back in time. “His father used to make these wonderful kites! He was known all over Equestria for them! I think he even won a bunch of awards.”

“Caramel apparently brought the biggest, most impressive one, if Redheart’s word is to be trusted,” Bon Bon chuckled. “I guess he’s really had this thing for Cheerilee for a while, and he wanted to impress her!”

“So what happened?” Cup breathed, leaning in close.

“Well, Caramel was right about one thing: It took both of them to get it into the air!” Bon Bon said, her eyes sparkling. “Apparently, it was so big that they both had to run side by side to launch it. Then, they both had to keep their hooves on the spool to keep it on the ground.”

“Oh, dear! But it was so windy yesterday!” Cup said, involuntarily cringing.

“Yeah,” Bon Bon replied. “Redheart said that Caramel thought it would help out.”

“Oh, dear…” Cup said again, already way ahead of the story. “He never has been the brightest, has he? But why did Cheerilee go along with something like that? She’s always had such a good head on her shoulders.”

“Caramel told Redheart that when the wind really started to pick up, Cheerilee had tried to get him to let the kite go, but you know Caramel,” Bon Bon replied. “That was his father’s prized kite, and he wasn’t about to lose it.” Bon Bon leaned against the display stand, resting an elbow atop its glass countertop. “Then the wind pulled them off balance, and they tripped.”

“Ohhhhhh, dear.”

“So, they fell and the spool got away from them,” Bon Bon said with relish, “but I guess Caramel ended up throwing it backwards in the confusion and they got all tangled up in the line!”

“No!” Cup gasped, her eyes growing huge as she cupped her cheeks with her hooves.

“Yes!” Bon Bon replied, nodding. “Soon, they were both airborne, and the kite was pulling them directly into town! Applejack said they plowed right through her fruit stand, and I heard from the mayor that the kite dragged them through the wet cement foundation the city is laying down for that new community center!”

“Oh, no!” Cup moaned. “Are they okay?”

“Well, Cheerilee’s fine,” Bon Bon said, shrugging, “but poor Caramel is banged up pretty bad. Redheart said that he was lower to the ground than Cheerilee was, so he took the brunt of it. Nothing broken, but he’ll be in the hospital for a few days.”

“So what finally stopped them?” Cup asked.

“You know that huge pile of manure the Apples keep on the southern edge of Sweet Apple Acres?” Bon Bon returned, fighting to keep a straight face.

NO!” Cup shouted, aghast.

Bon Bon just nodded, her snorting giggles making speech impossible for the moment.

“Ohhhhhhhh, dear!” Cup sighed. “I’d better whip up a Get Well basket for the two of them.”

“We’re planning a night out for Cheerilee once she’s released from the hospital,” Bon Bon said, shaking her head. “Redheart said that she’s fine, but they want to keep her there for observation for a bit, just to make sure.”

“Oh, the poor darling,” Cup said sadly. “She really has had a time of it, hasn’t she?”

“I’ve never seen anything like it!” Bon Bon replied as she opened the baker’s door and stepped out onto the busy street.

PreviousChapters Next