• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 8,731 Views, 2,787 Comments

Cheerilee's Thousand - xjuggernaughtx



Cheerilee goes on one thousand terrible dates.

  • ...
19
 2,787
 8,731

PreviousChapters Next
Date Seventeen - A Jarring Experience

Cheerilee licked her lips nervously as she shifted from hoof to hoof. They’d only been out for an hour, and Pectin was already asking her to come back to his apartment. When he flashed his winning smile again, Cheerilee swallowed loudly.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable,” he said with a little laugh. “I didn’t really think about how that sounded.”

“It was a little forward,” Cheerilee replied, grinning weakly.

“It’s just that, well, I have this…” Pectin’s voice trailed off as he looked away, twirling his hoof vaguely as he searched for the right words. “Oh, I don’t know how to put it.” Suddenly he grabbed Cheerilee’s hooves between his strong, grey ones, squeezing them gently as he stared deep into her eyes. “I’ve… I’ve found something! Something amazing!”

Cheerilee flicked her eyes left and right. Ponies passing by on the street were beginning to stop and grin. Oh, Sweet Celestia! she thought, sighing. They probably think he’s proposing!

“It’s totally changed my life, and I want to share it with everypony, starting with you!” he continued, grinning widely.

“Why me?” Cheerilee asked, pulling her hooves free. Nearby, several ponies groaned and continued on their way, disappointed.

“Well, why not you?” he replied. Throwing his hooves wide, he stood, turning slowly in a circle as he threw his head back. “I feel absolutely amazing, and I want you to feel the same way!” Pectin placed his hooves on her shoulders. “Believe me, this is worth it.”

“Uh…”

Pectin dropped his gaze, nodding as he bit his lip. “I’m sorry. I know this probably seems really weird right now. I’d feel the same way if I were you.” He sat, sighing. “I just can’t help it, though. I’ve never felt this way before.”

Is a little normalcy just too much to ask?! Cheerilee thought, her brow furrowing as the stallion continued to oscillate between a sort of bizarre, hyper-focused joy and shame-faced melancholy. Isn’t anypony just a regular Joe anymore?!

Thinking back, she supposed it might be her fault. She’d gone shopping and run into him by the fruit stall. Literally. She’d been so absorbed in checking items off of her list that she trotted face first into his side, bruising her muzzle and splattering him with ink.

She’d begun to apologize immediately, but was surprised to find that he hadn’t seemed to notice. He’d had an orange in one hoof and had been turning it over and over, inspecting every inch of it. She’d contemplated just walking away, but she’d felt terrible about the ink and he was rather handsome.

Finally, after several seconds of tapping him on the shoulder, she’d managed to draw his attention from the fruit. She’d been relieved that he laughed the incident off, and she’d been taken by his easy-going nature. When he asked what she was doing later, she’d leapt at the chance.

When will I learn? she thought as stallion turned back to her.

“Look, I promise this isn’t some ploy to get you into my bedroom,” he said, his expression earnest as he rose to his feet again. “I just think this will change your life for the better, like it has mine!”

“Well, what is it that we are talking about?” Cheerilee said, growing impatient. “You’ve been alluding to whatever this is for almost half an hour, and to tell you the truth, it sounds pretty fishy!”

“I know, I know!” he said mournfully. “That’s because it’s not something you can really describe. You’ve got to see it. You’ve got to experience it!”

Cheerilee sighed again, shaking her head. Well, you have to take some chances in life, right? she thought. It can’t be worse than being trapped in a volcano. Rising, she dusted herself off and squared her shoulders. “Okay, show me whatever this is.”

The stallion ran rapidly in place for a few seconds, grinning. “You won’t regret this!” he cried, his voice traveling a few octaves up the register. “It’s the greatest thing ever!”

~~~

Cheerilee wrenched her head away from the door as the cloyingly sweet scent of fruit and sugar erupted from the house. Beside her, Pectin leaned into the wind, smiling beatifically as the candy-scented breeze blew through his hair. Reaching inside, he flipped the nearby light switch.

“What in Equestria?” Cheerilee said, shying away. As her pupils shrank to mere pinpoints, she scanned the room, turning occasionally back to Pectin. “Is this some sort of joke?”

Inside, the room was filled with rows and rows of gigantic jars, each filled with a different jam or preserve.

“Isn’t it amazing?!” Pectin cried, bounding into the house. “So which do you want to try first?! I suggest the marmalade, but maybe it’s a little bitter for a newbie! Perhaps this lemon curd!” He turned suddenly and began clambering up the side of a jar labeled as blackberry. “Oh, just pick any of them, really! They’re all fantastic!”

Cheerilee stood, frozen. Part of her wanted to run as quickly as she could from this, but she found herself hesitating, held by a morbid fascination. “What is going on here?” she asked in a small, stunned voice.

Pectin lifted himself over the lip of the jar. For a moment, he stood there, grinning manically at the schoolteacher before stepping into the jar. As his body sank into the slurry, he cried out in ecstasy.

“Oh! Oh, Cheerilee!” he yelled, thrashing inside the jar. “I’m in the jam! I am the jam!” As his head lolled from side to side, Cheerilee could see that his eyes had entirely rolled back. “I’m a blackberry! I’m just a little blackberry in a sea of sticky syrup!”

Cheerilee jumped as Pectin slammed his body forcefully into the glass wall, grinding against it. For a brief moment, he disappeared, then resurfaced, covered in fruit.

“Oh, Sweet Celestia!” Pectin screamed, thrashing even more vigorously. “Sweet mother of us all! It’s so amazing!” Arching his back, he thrust his hooves to the ceiling. “The jam is entering me! WE ARE ONE!

I’ve got to get out of here! Cheerilee thought as the stallion trembled, taut as a piano wire. This guy’s lost his mind! Taking a few steps backward, Cheerilee was reaching for the doorknob when he locked eyes with her.

“Okay,” he panted. “Your turn.” His smile stretched tightly across his face as he began to climb out, his eyes never leaving hers.

Scrambling backwards, Cheerilee slammed the door closed and pounded down the street, vowing to never go back to that market on a Saturday ever again.

Author's Note:

For Wade.

PreviousChapters Next