• Published 12th Nov 2013
  • 2,064 Views, 196 Comments

Lightning's Bolt - PaulAsaran



When Lightning's childhood orphanage was wiped out, she managed to save just one filly: the timid Keen Arrow. Lightning has taken her in, but can she handle being a parent? Does she even understand the responsibilities she must face?

  • ...
3
 196
 2,064

Guardian Devil

The bed was far too large for just Keen. It was nice and soft, though, and when she sat near the middle she could look out the window at the moon over Sweet Apple Acres. The window was exactly why she’d wanted this room; at night it let the moon’s light in so that she could see. Maybe that way she’d be a little less afraid.

But tonight the moon was a pale sliver. Keen eyed it with dismay before letting Lightning tuck her under the covers. “Are you sure you won’t stay tonight?”

Lightning nudged the filly’s head playfully. “Not tonight, kiddo. Ya gotta learn to sleep on your own every now and then.”

Keen peered around at her dark room and chewed her lip; she hated being alone in the dark. “B-but… But you don’t have a bed.”

“Nice try, but I don’t need one." Lightning chuckled at the filly's pout. "I’ll get a bed later, when we have more bits. There’s a perfectly good couch in the front.”

Keen sighed as she gazed up at her guardian. “And if the monsters come?”

Lightning's eyes grew hard. Keen was starting to recognize that look. “They’re not going to.”

“But they might.”

Lightning’s lips tightened and she averted her eyes. “They’re not Keen. I promise.”

The filly glanced at the window and said nothing, her mind turning over terrible possibilities. Her chest was tight and her tiny heart pattered wildly. “C-can I come see you if I get… really scared?”

Lightning considered this, shifting from hoof to hoof. “Sure, kiddo. I’m right there if ya need me, okay?”

Well, at least Keen had that option. She couldn't take her eyes off the window.

A long, difficult silence passed between them. Keen could hear her guardian shifting some more. Maybe she was going to change her mind? “I’m glad you liked Fluttershy today.”

Keen didn’t care about Fluttershy right now. Even so, she gave a weak nod to show she’d heard.

More silence. At last Lightning sighed and sat, head hung low. “Keen?”

The filly looked up at her, a small light of hope within her at the sight of the adult's anxiousness.

“W-what did… Back at home, back before the orphanage. Did your parents…” Lightning paused and set a hoof to her lips as she thought. Her face scrunched up with a small wince and she turned her eyes away once more. “I mean… you don’t have to talk about them. Forget it.”

Keen wasn’t sure, but she thought she understood. She rolled away from Lightning and tightened the covers over her shoulder. She closed her eyes and tried to remember her mother. She was blue with a black mane. Her eyes had been… what? Grey? That sounded right. Why was it so hard to recall? She moved on to her father, but he was just as enigmatic; a white coat and soft blue mane. And… blue eyes? Maybe. He was the unicorn of the two, she at least recalled that.

Why was it so hard? They hadn't been gone that long... Keen fought down the urge to cry, but her sniffles betrayed her.

“H-hey, it’s okay.” Lightning nuzzled the back of the tiny unicorn’s head. “I shouldn’t have said anything. I’m sorry, okay?”

“Mom would sing.”

The comforting motions ceased. “Sing?”

Keen nodded as she slowly rubbed the moisture from her eyes. “It was her talent. She’d sing me to sleep.”

“Oh.” She could almost see Lightning blush. “Th-that’s nice. Umm… and your dad?”

Keen smiled at the memory. “Dad wasn’t a good tuck-iner. He let Mom do it.” She stared at her hooves, imagining that she was holding something. “He made a doll for me once…”

“A doll?”

Keen nodded, burying her head in her hooves.

“The rocks took it with them.”

Another long, terrible silence. Keen kept trying to picture their faces, but they just wouldn’t come. Why wouldn’t they come? They had been good parents. Kind parents. She would have given anything to see their faces again…

Lightning was on the bed, wrapping the filly in a tight hug.

“I’m here, Keen. Okay? If you need me, I’m here. So p-please, don’t cry. Don’t be scared.”

Keen soaked in the warmth of her guardian. She could feel Lightning’s tears on her cheeks. Lightning was trying, and Keen felt guilty. She wasn’t at all like Keen’s parents, but she was trying… so Keen would try, too.

She fought down her tears and pushed back against Lightning’s chest, using the back of her head to nuzzle the mare in return. “I’m okay. I am. I… I’ll be okay on my own tonight.” Lightning sat up and Keen turned to give her a fragile smile. “Don’t you cry, either.”

Lightning rubbed her eyes with a blush and returned the smile. “You sure? I can stay if ya really want.”

Keen sat up to hug her. “I’m okay. Promise.”

Lightning sighed and patted her on the head. “Alright, kiddo. But I’m just down the hall if ya need me, ’kay?” Keen let herself be tucked back under the covers. “You’re a good kid. Way better than I was at your age. G’night, Keen.”

“Good night, Lightning.”

The mare stood smiling over Keen for several seconds with eyes shining, but she finally turned and left. Keen was sure to turn away so that her frown wouldn’t be seen. The door closed. She waited several seconds, just in case Lightning decided to come back. Once sure she was alone, she grabbed her pillow and moved to the center of the bed. She lay on her back and stared up at the moon, hoping that it’s tiny offering of light would be sufficient to keep her nightmares at bay.


Keen jerked awake with a gasp, blue eyes and clicking laughter echoing in her ears. She sat up swiftly, her head darting about for signs of danger. Nothing. She was alone and safe on her bed.

The filly sucked in a shaky breath and drooped, fighting to keep tears out of her eyes. She was so tired of nightmares. Her legs locked; she wanted Lightning to be there, but she wouldn’t run. She promised she would be okay.

She was okay.

She was okay!

Something shifted out of the corner of her eye. Keen gasped and dropped to her belly, hooves over her eyes. She wasn’t alone! Maybe it was Lightning? Or maybe it was a monster…

Keen remained that way for some time, trembling like a leaf but not daring to do anything. Maybe if she was perfectly silent it wouldn’t notice her. It would go away and she’d be okay. Maybe, if she was lucky.

Silence filled the room like an inaudible claw scratching at her ears.

She couldn’t take it; Keen gradually raised a hoof to peer at the darkness. There was a pony in the corner of her room, watching her. A unicorn. He stepped forward into the dim light, his features appearing like a ghost in the shadows. When she saw that face she immediately sat up, her jaw dropping.

Fine Crime raised a hoof to his lips. “Shhh. Don’t want to wake Lightning up, do we?”

She crossed the bed as quick as her long legs could carry her and leapt up to hug his neck. The wave of relief that swept over her was overwhelming! “I th-thought you might be a monster.”

He chuckled and carefully set her back on the bed. “There are some who think I am, but I’m just a pony like you. Promise.” He sat and tilted his head, a deep but concerned frown on his lips. “Nightmares?”

She ducked her head and nodded. “I keep seeing the monsters.”

He lowered himself so that his chin was resting on the edge of the bed. “It’s tough seeing monsters, isn’t it?”

The filly blinked and studied him. “You have nightmares, too?”

“Yes. My monster isn’t like yours, though.”

“Y-you mean there are other monsters out there?” Keen blanched and backed away, her ears laying flat as her eyes flicked to the window.

“Don’t worry. Mine wouldn’t like to eat you.” Fine raised his head and gave her a soothing smile. “He only eats bad ponies like me.”

Keen’s moment of fear faded as she tilted her head at him. Her eyes roamed up and down his body, trying to identify some proof to his claim. She found none, aside from the black knife around his neck, which was more an oddity than a sign of badness.

“You’re not bad.”

“Don’t tell Lightning that, she won’t believe you.” He chuckled and walked about to sit on the bed next to her. “So, I hear you like Fluttershy.”

“Oh, yes!” Keen paused and glanced at the door before speaking again in a quieter tone. “She’s very nice. Her pets are fun and there are no ponies there to scare me.”

Fine grinned. “Good to hear. I happen to like her a lot myself. I visit her often.”

Keen sat and leaned forward a little. “Will you visit me more?”

“Would you like me to?”

She nodded emphatically. “I know you can protect me from the monsters.”

“Lightning can protect you, too.”

“Not like you.” Keen moved close to nuzzle his side. “I saw you hurt one. She didn’t hurt one.”

Fine reached up to pet her mane and offered that calm smile again. “They just caught her by surprise, that’s all.”

Keen wasn’t reassured. She sat back and glanced out the window at the moon. “Lightning says there are no monsters here. I don’t think she knows.”

He studied her, eyes glazed over in thought. Keen kicked the bed and pouted, not sure what else to say. After a few seconds Fine scooted off the bed and lowered himself, setting his forehooves on the edge and peering at her. “Do you know what I do for a living?”

She blinked and turned to him. “For a living?”

“My job.”

Keen thought on this, rubbing her chin and frowning. At last she shook her head.

His lips curled up in a grin, but this one wasn't friendly. Keen wasn't sure how to describe it. “I’m a monster hunter.”

Her eyes widened. “Really?”

“Really.” He sat up and turned his eyes to the window, pride reflected in his voice. “I lead ponies. We look for monsters and we get rid of monsters. I do that every day.”

She believed it. She could still recall the sight of that black creature standing over Lightning, how she was bleeding and crying. It had been so scary… But she also remembered Fine appearing behind it and the green gunk that had poured from the creature. He’d knocked it away and it hadn’t moved again. So when he said he hunted monsters, she believed him.

Thinking about it also led to remembering how scary that moment had been. She’d thought Lightning was going to die. He hunted those things?

“B-but isn’t that scary?”

“It can be,” Fine admitted. “There are some big and nasty things out there. But we fight them, Keen. We hunt them down and keep them away so that fillies like you don’t have to be afraid. I have to know a monster when I see it.” He lowered his head so that their muzzles were almost touching, his rosewood eyes filling her vision. “So when I tell you that there are no monsters in Ponyville, you know I’m telling the truth.”

Keen fidgeted and chewed her lip. “Are you sure? Really, really sure?”

“I’m sure,” he whispered, nuzzling her cheek. “And if ever one comes to town, I promise you’ll be the first I tell about it. Okay?”

She returned the motion with a smile, a strange feeling of relief coming over her. “Okay! Tell Lightning, too. They hurt her real bad last time.”

“Of course I will.” He sat straight and nodded. “After all, if she gets hurt who’ll look after you?”

Keen tilted her head, ears perking up. “You could.”

Fine's smile faded, but only for a moment. “No, Keen. That really wouldn’t be a good idea.”

She pouted and kicked at the bed. “That’s what Lightning said. Why?”

“Because I’m a bad pony.” She opened her mouth to argue, but he set a hoof to her lips. “Some ponies think I’m scary. I’m nice to you and Lightning, but I’m not a good pony. Maybe you’ll understand that someday.”

Keen wrinkled her nose and rubbed it before looking up at him with questioning eyes. “You’re not scary at all.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “If you only knew. Let me ask you: what scares a monster?”

“Scares a monster?” She thought on this question for a moment, face twisting as she sought an answer. Then she realized that the question didn't make sense. “Do monsters get scared?”

“Oh yes,” he whispered, “they do. Monsters have feelings too, y’know.”

Keen really doubted that, but wasn’t about to argue. So instead she leaned forward and asked, “So what scares a monster?”

His eyes flashed and his lips curling back in a toothy grin. For just a moment Keen thought she saw the shadows shift, and once again she had that curious impression of a ghostly look to his features. He reached up and tapped the knife that was hanging from his necklace, making it sway like a pendulum.

“What indeed?”

Keen leaned back on her haunches with her forehooves close to her chest, not sure what to think of this… strange display.

Fine broke off the mysterious contact, turning away to walk back to the corner from which he’d first appeared. “You should get some sleep, and I should get back to hunting monsters so you can.”

She shook her momentary anxiety away and ran to the edge of the bed. “Do you have to go?”

“Yes.” He turned to offer a charming smile. “Don’t worry, Keen, I’m watching after you and Lightning. You might not see me, but I’m still watching.”

She sat and drooped. “That makes no sense.”

He chuckled. “I know. You should learn some magic. Do that and I’ll teach you how to call for me.”

Her ears perked. “You will?”

“It’s a promise.” He gestured to the door. “You should ask Lightning to talk to Miss Twilight Sparkle about it.”

She tilted her head. “Who?”

“The librarian.” Fine stepped back. He was out of the light, his already dark body visible only as an outline. “She’s a strong mage. She can get you started. Don’t worry, she’s nice.”

“Oh.” She wasn’t sure she liked that idea. “I… I guess.”

“Good night, Keen. Be good for Lightning, okay?” Something – clouds? – seemed to rise up from the floor. When they disappeared, so did he, gone as quietly as he’d come.

Keen stared at the corner for several long seconds. Gradually, she began to sink into a drooping pose as her inevitable fears tried to creep back into her. He’d said there were no monsters and she wanted to believe him. She tried to, but it was hard.

A heavy sigh escaping her lips, Keen went and flopped down on her pillow. She looked up at the moon through the window and tried to use it as encouragement. As she did her eyes set upon her tiny horn.

Magic. She’d always wanted to learn. She used to think of her father, how he used his magic to cut wood. She closed her eyes and could hear the steady thunk, thunk of the axe. Her pillow was a lot softer than a hard stump, though, and she couldn’t nap to that sound anymore. She missed that axe, and his hard work. Always working in the yard, always chopping. She could almost smell the cut wood, wood that fed her, wood that kept them warm in the snowy days.

She rolled onto her back and touched at her horn, wondering at it. He’d promised to teach her magic this year. “One more year,” he’d said. “I’ll teach you next year, and someday you’ll learn to swing an axe with your horn just like your old stallion does.”

Her mother lectured him every time he made that promise.

One more year had come and gone, but he wasn’t here. The thought nearly brought tears to Keen's eyes, and she turned to bury her head under her pillow. She would learn. Even if he wasn’t here, she’d learn.

He’d promised...

Author's Note:

I find myself moving a little more slowly than originally planned, but in a big way it's my own fault. Now that I have a pre-reader in the form of Mercgilado, I'm taking extra care with this story. I have a habit - which I imagines annoys him just as much as it does my editors - of questioning anything they suggest that doesn't seem right to me. It leads to a lot of debating over the best route, and that takes time. But now that I have a pre-reader at my disposal, I intend to take advantage of the opportunity and not move forward until I'm satisfied with the product. You can call it the pursuit of quality. Or perfectionism. Whichever floats your boat.

This story is abut Lightning and Keen, but Fine Crime makes for the next most important character. No chapters will ever be told from his perspective, but his presence was always intended to be vital.

This chapter also hints, for the first time ever, at what took Keen's parents. I'm still debating with myself over whether the subject will be fully discussed in-story or just be left on the sidelines as a small mystery for the readers to debate on.

At the current time my plan is to have at least three chapters ready for pre-reading at any given time. The updates will largely depend upon that process, though I admit some hesitation to commit to that plan as I liked my reputation for rapid updates. We'll just have to wait and see.