• Published 12th Nov 2013
  • 2,064 Views, 196 Comments

Lightning's Bolt - PaulAsaran



When Lightning's childhood orphanage was wiped out, she managed to save just one filly: the timid Keen Arrow. Lightning has taken her in, but can she handle being a parent? Does she even understand the responsibilities she must face?

  • ...
3
 196
 2,064

Unlikely Assistance

Ponyville was just beginning to stir in the dawning hours when Lightning and Keen entered the town. Neither of them were very comfortable with the act. For her part, Lightning was hesitant about coming to Ponyville at all. There had to be dozens of towns she might have chosen to live in, but she was here. Part of her nervousness had to do with a certain blue pegasus who supposedly called the town home.

Even so, Lightning’s grudge against Rainbow Dash wasn’t the greatest problem; what really kept her pace slow was the question of a certain mud-colored unicorn. Fine Crime… A pony she barely knew and who always seemed to have ulterior motives. It was he who encouraged her to come, even before she’d met Keen, and she’d always stalwartly refused to be part of his schemes. Yet, in a moment of weakness, she’d finally agreed. Why had she done that?

But she had made the decision, and she wasn’t going to back out no matter how much she regretted it. If Fine thought he could manipulate her into joining whatever nefarious plans he had, he was sorely mistaken. Coming to Ponyville was not an agreement to work with him! She was doing this for Keen, and nopony else.

Even so… she hoped to avoid him if at all possible.

Where Lightning was anxious, though, Keen was afraid. The poor filly became a shivering mess at the first sign of the locals emerging from their homes. By now they were well within the town, and Keen was tucked between Lightning’s wings with her face hidden beneath her hooves. Lightning was frustrated, but tried to be understanding; after all the little unicorn had gone through in the past few months, it was no wonder she was so terrified of other ponies.

Especially foals. Lightning made a determined effort to steer clear of any children who might pass them by.

A particularly noisy quartet of foals passed by, prompting the filly to speak. “L-Lightning? D-do we have to live here?”

“Yeah, this is the place.” Lightning's eyes shifting from house to house. She had no idea where she was going, or even what she was looking for.

“But it’s so… crowded.”

Lightning paused to look back at Keen, lips set in a sour frown. She thought this was crowded? Ponyville was a bit bigger than Foal Mountains, true, but it was still a pretty small town.

“We have to live somewhere.”

Keen looked up at Lightning from her low position. “C-can’t we live in the woods? Someplace with no ponies?”

Lightning’s frustration melted at that fearful tone. She wished she knew how to handle Keen, but she was just so… timid. What to say? “We can’t avoid ponies all the time. What are you going to do when you’re old enough for school?”

“I don’t wanna go.” Keen buried her head under her hooves again. “I d-don’t need to go!”

Lightning sighed and walked to a secluded spot between two houses. Once safely away from prying eyes, she knelt down and tilted sideways. Keen tumbled to the grass with a shout so quiet it was more like a squeak.

Once Keen was sitting up straight, Lightning sat before her. “I’m sorry, but you can’t stay scared of everypony. They aren’t monsters, they aren’t out to get you! Ya gotta be strong, kiddo.”

Keen‘s head drooped, her face becoming hidden in that long, thick mane. “But what if they are monsters? They look just like ponies…”

“You’ll be safe, I promise.” Lightning dropped to her belly and nuzzled the tiny unicorn’s head, hoping she was achieving... something. “You’ll see, I’m sure the ponies in Ponyville are real nice. Please, just give it time.”

Keen glanced back at the street, lips trembling and ears laid back.

“But... I’m scared… ”

Lightning tilted her head back and fought down a shout. What was she supposed to say to help the filly get over this? There had to be something she could do! But what? Keen practically refused to be consoled, and Lightning was already getting tired of it.

She couldn’t shout or let her frustration be known. Lightning was renowned for not being able to think ahead, but even she knew that her aggression and bravado would be detrimental to the timid Keen. The filly required a gentler touch… and Lightning had no idea if she was capable of that.

Even so, she had to do something

Keen looked up at Lightning, her big blue eyes moist. She seemed to be asking a silent query, but the disgruntled mare had no idea what.

That was frustrating, too.

At last, Keen lowered her head once more and spoke in a quiet, dejected tone.

“I’m hungry…”

Lightning sagged as the energy left her. They were in trouble; she’d used up the last of her bits buying the supplies needed to get here from Foal Mountains, and those supplies were gone. How was she supposed to get food? She was pretty hungry herself, as she’d been eating less than her fair share so that Keen could stay well-fed.

Perhaps she could barter? She didn’t have anything to offer but work…

“You look like some mares in need.”

Lightning’s hackles rose instantly at the sound of the familiar voice.

“Mr. Crime!” Keen beamed and ran full-gallop for the tall, thin stallion at the edge of the road. Fine Crime, a black-maned pony with a mottled brown coat, dropped to his knees to accept the little unicorn’s eager hug.

“Nice to see you, too.” He offered an awkward smile. “But call me Fine, okay?”

Keen stepped back and nodded emphatically with a grin.

Lightning sucked in a deep breath through her clenched teeth. “What are you doing here?”

“I live here,” he answered as he stood.

“No.” She gestured at the ground between them. “What are you doing here? How did you find out that we had made it so quickly?”

He let out a pompous huff, head held high. “Come on, Lightning. I was able to send you letters no matter where you were in Equestria, and you did a lot of traveling. Do you really think I’d have trouble keeping track of you when you’re coming to the town I live in? Well, near.”

She grudgingly acknowledged his point even as she again questioned how those letters kept finding her, no matter where she was or how far away from civilization she’d wandered. Even so, she had no interest in spending time with him.

“Look, I’ve got things to deal with! Keen and I are both hungry, so just leave us alone so I can find some way to feed—”

“Oh, don’t be such a grouch.” Fine gestured with an inviting smile. “Come on, let me buy you breakfast.”

If her head were equipped with warning bells, Lightning was sure they’d have been going crazy. She took a wary step back and sneered. “Why would you do that?”

“Because I can.” He gestured to Keen, who was listening to their conversation with impressive focus for a filly so young. “Would you prefer she wait for you to figure things out?”

As if on cue, Keen turned to her with big, hopeful eyes. “Can we, Lightning? Please?”

Lightning didn’t know whether to scream her anger or melt at the sight of such cuteness. The combination left her sagging to her haunches. “Alright, already… It’s just breakfast, right?”

“Nope.” Fine turned to the street and gesturing for them to follow. “I intend to help in other ways, as well.”

Lightning sighed as Keen went up to hug her. “But I don’t want your help…”


The door opened slowly, the late morning sun creating a rectangular light in the dark room. Lightning peered into the place, stubbornly debating on whether she should enter or not. The breakfast was already far more charity than she liked to receive, especially from the likes of Fine Crime.

He appeared at her side, rolling his eyes as he entered the small house.

“Please, control your enthusiasm.”

His hoofsteps echoed loudly on the wooden floor, the sound suggesting a distinct sturdiness to the place.

Lightning glanced down at Keen, who was standing at her side with wide eyes. The filly returned the look and gestured to the house. Lightning hesitated, eyes going back to the empty room, but finally nodded.

Keen entered the house slowly, as if not sure what she might find. She was a few feet in when the interior abruptly grew brighter; Fine had jerked some old curtain aside with his magic. The room was wide and tall with solid wood making up the walls, floor and ceiling. It was all bland and unadorned… but it still seemed nice.

Lightning had to struggle to step through the threshold, her head ducked low as she eyed the walls. “You want us to live here?”

Fine nodded from his spot by the window. “It’s no La Mansión de Lagos, but for a family of two? Should do.”

“Can I look?” Keen gave Lightning a curious but solemn glance. Lightning, pleased with her manner, nodded.

Keen turned and entered a hallway just opposite the front door. She seemed neither excited nor unhappy with the place. Perhaps she was indifferent, or maybe she was still hesitant about living in town. Granted, it was the very edge of the town, but it wasn’t like they were way off the beaten path.

“I figured this would be a better place for Keen.” Fine nodded to the window. “Far enough out that you’re not surrounded by houses and ponies. Sweet Apple Acres makes for a nice view, actually.”

Lightning sat and cast a slow look his way, an eyebrow raised and lips set in a tight frown. He took the expression with a small smile.

“You know I don’t want you looking out for us.”

“You’re free to reject the house, but I promise you won’t find a better deal than this.” Fine's horn glowed crimson, and a letter rose from within his vest. “You should take a look at the offer before making any hasty decisions.”

She turned her head away with a scowl. “I don’t want your charity.”

“It isn’t charity.” He hovered the letter before her muzzle. “I merely arranged the deal. You’ll still have to pay a house note, plus buy the furniture.”

She sighed and snatched the letter out of the air. “You know I don’t have a job yet, right? How the buck am I supposed to feed Keen if I'm paying a house note on such short notice?”

“You're not.” Fine's ever-calm manner had her grinding her teeth. “I’ll take care of the down-payment and the first note. That’ll give you two months to get on your hooves.”

She peered at him, wondering just how he was achieving all of this and why. She wasn’t used to ponies doing things for her, and it made her question the motivation. Even so, she made herself open the letter. She scanned the contents, eyes scouring for the important part. “One-ten a month? A, that’s a lot less than I expected. B, that’s still a heck of a lot more than I’ll be earning on any starting wage, no matter what job I take!”

“C,” Fine added with a smirk, “I’m impressed you got to B.”

Lightning shot him a glare and waved the letter at him. “I can’t afford this place, even at the reduced price!”

“Sure ya can,” he countered with head raised. “I pride myself on my analytical skills, and through them I have determined that there is a job you can get that will pay you enough to cover the bill and survive. It’ll be tough going for the first year, but once you get past that hump things will get a lot easier. Provided you do what’s necessary, of course.”

She blinked. “You already found me a job?”

He waved a correcting hoof. “No, I scouted out jobs and picked one that I think you can both get, and get paid well for. It’s up to you to actually get the job.”

She stared at him, then at the letter. Her eyes roamed the room, frustration and uncertainty mixing in her mind. She wasn’t sure she liked any of this. But… it was a decent-sized house for two. Nothing special, but enough for her and Keen to live comfortably. She needed to have a place; Keen needed a roof over her head, a bed to sleep in. So even if she hated accepting Fine’s help, Lightning knew she had to do her part.

But not quite yet.

“Why are you doing this, Fine?”

He smirked once more. “You know I work for Princess Luna, right? She still has plans for you, Lightning.”

“I have no reason to believe that,” she shot back. “I don’t know who you work for, or what you intend for me and Keen. I feel like I’m being manipulated for something and I don’t like it.”

“I’m not manipulating you,” he said, but paused. He rubbed his chin in thought, then gained a small smile. “Well, maybe I am. Just a little. I did want you to come to Ponyville, after all.”

She reared back to point an accusing hoof. “I knew it!”

“But,” he continued with a hoof raised, “I didn’t manipulate things to get you here. It was your decision, not mine.”

“And I’m supposed to trust you?” Lightning turned her head away with a sneer. “You saved my life, and Keen’s soul, and I’m grateful. That doesn’t mean I’m gonna ignore your scheming. Even if I do end up accepting this place, don’t think it means I’m gonna go along with whatever you’ve got planned.”

“I can live with that agreement,” he replied with a shrug. “Like I said, getting you here was your decision, not mine. Oh…”

He closed his eyes and focused, horn glowing once more. After a few seconds some black clouds burst into existence, and when they faded there was a large bag hovering before his face. He floated the bag over to her with a firm expression. “Here, this is for you. Don’t try to reject it, ‘cause you’re going to need it in the coming week or two.”

She sat and took the bag in both front hooves, eyeing it skeptically. It was very heavy and clinked with a very familiar sound. She knew what it was but, just to be certain, went ahead and opened it.

The bag was filled to near-bursting with more bits than Lightning had ever seen in one place!

Lightning's usual stubbornness began to flare up… but it lasted only a short time. Replacing it was a sense of sadness and uncertainty. She really did need some bits to get her through, didn’t she? Keen had to be fed. After all, how long would it be before she got her first paycheck, assuming she could even land the job as Fine was suggesting?

Despite these internal arguments, her pride had her hesitating. “Fine… Why are you doing this?”

A long moment of quiet passed between them. “You already asked me that question.”

“I don’t mean the house.” She lifted the bag demonstrably. “I mean this. The house, okay. It goes with whatever you’re planning. But the job? The bits? You’re taking it too far and I wanna know why.”

His smirk faded to a low frown, and she saw something in his eyes she’d never expected to see: regret. They stared at one another for several long seconds, and she could tell he was mulling over his answer. At last, he sat and bowed his head.

“You’re not the only one responsible, Lightning. I know it was your orphanage and that you loved those foals. I know you think you deserve the brunt of the blame.

“I’m a leader among my order.” His eyes shifting towards the hallway. He seemed worried that Keen might overhear his words, but he didn’t stop. “The investigation of the orphanage should have been below my rank. I took it on anyway, because it was important towards my other goals. I took it over, I ran the investigation, I bore responsibility.

“I failed.” He turned his head away in shame. “I didn’t solve the puzzle in time, and the orphanage burned. So don’t go thinking that, because they were your friends, you hold all the blame. I’m just as responsible for the disaster as you are.”

Lightning was staring, all anger and frustration gone.

“But… But you said you didn’t know.”

“I didn’t.” He turned back to look her in the eye. “That’s the problem; I should have known. It was my job to know.”

He cast his eyes back to the hallway again, a distinct sadness in his gaze. “Keen deserves better. I won’t let her live in a life of fear and loneliness. I know what that’s like and I can’t allow it. I’m not doing this to get you on my side, Lightning. I’m doing this for her. If my contribution to your little family can let her live a happy life, then you can have it and more.”

Another lingering silence. Fine wouldn’t meet her eye, and Lightning actually felt – Goddess save her! – sympathy. Perhaps even a bit of kinship. To think he was harboring such regret. The cynic within her wanted to refute his words as another attempt to manipulate her… but she couldn’t listen to that voice, not in the face of his clear regret.

“Lightning?”

She turned to find Keen standing in the hallway. The filly shifted, glancing between the two adults with a frown. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” Lightning dropped to her belly and gestured. Keen came at a slow pace and accepting Lightning’s tight hug. “Not a thing, Keen. Everything is perfectly fine. Did you like it back there?”

“It’s okay,” the filly responded in her ear. “Are we staying?”

Lightning hesitated, casting a glance at Fine. He’d recovered his solemn manner, head raised and eyes free of his momentary weakness. Yet she vividly remembered that expression on his face, and somehow she knew that it hadn’t been faked. She didn’t like to think that he might become a more permanent fixture in their lives, but at least she could say with confidence that his intentions were genuine.

“Yeah, kiddo.” She turned her eyes away from Fine even as she tightened her hug on the filly. “This is gonna be our home.”

Author's Note:

And so it begins; Lightning is set to try and be a mother. This should be interesting, no?

For those interested, this story begins right after Chapter 8 No Heroes Book II, and will end somewhere between Books II and IV. I've been looking forward to this for a long while, though I'm not entirely sure how everything will go. I have a number of key scenes I really want to add, but I'm not sure I'll be able to add all of them.

This is going to be my new major project, alongside Trixie vs. Equestria. That means I'm going to be focusing on it for a looooong time... May it prove worth it.