• Published 12th Mar 2012
  • 1,267 Views, 20 Comments

Coming to Grips - RainbowsAreMagic



A brony must face his own desires to come to grips with his life.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,267

Consequences

Chapter 4: Consequences

Tyro slowly regained consciousness. His whole body was in pain, his eyes wouldn't focus, and his head was pounding.

"Ughh," he groaned. Then he tried to move, and found that he couldn't, not without making everything hurt even more. So he lay there on the ground, waiting for the pain to stop. It didn't.

Eventually he realized that the pain wasn't going to just go away and started focusing more on his situation. He was lying on his back on the ground, unable to move. He could see the sky above him, so he didn't seem to be in his garage anymore. Or maybe the garage didn't exist anymore. That would explain the pain, too.

No, it couldn't be the garage, or the ground would be hard and unyielding. This felt more like dirt. Clearly, Tyro had been moved somewhere by the spell, but where could be anypony's guess.

Tyro's eyes were finally beginning to focus again when an orange head came into view. "Twilight," he moaned, "that isn't funny."

"What, now? I'm not Twilight, I'm Applejack. I see ya must be new 'round these parts, not knowin' everypony... who are you, anyway?"

Tyro said hoarsely. "Applejack? My name's... Tyro. W-where am I?"

"This here's Sweet Apple Acres, Tyro, home of the best apples around. Ya really are lost, aren't ya? Ya mentioned Twilight before, maybe I should take ya ta go see her. Let's go, Tyro!"

Tyro tried to stand up, but it didn't seem to work so well. "Huh. Looks like he's out cold again. Well, I'll just take him to see Twilight myself." With that, she slung him over her back and trotted down the road to the library, to go see Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight was not particularly impressed with this dark red pony Applejack found out in the fields. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with him, at least physically. "You said this pony said he knew me? I've never see him before in my life!"

From Tyro's chair there came a muffled exclamation. "Sweet Celestia, I'm a pony now, am I? When will the madness end?"

That got Twilight's attention. "Now listen, what are you talking about?"

"You don't know me, but I know you." That phrase sounded familiar to Twilight, but she couldn't place it. It was understandable. She had been through a lot since that time.

"Twilight, when he was awake before, he said his name was Tayo, or somethin' like that." Applejack sounded uncertain, but Twilight was horrified. "Tyro, what have I done to you," she cried out. "If I had only known..."

Applejack sounded irritated. "Will somepony tell me what in Celestia's name is goin' on here?"

Twilight sighed sadly. "Applejack, this is Tyro."

"Well ah figured that out already!"

"Tyro... I owe him a great deal, I'm afraid, because I've done a terrible, terrible thing. When I went missing a few days ago, I told you the spell didn't work right, remember?"

"Yeah, but ah don't see what that has to do with Tyro here—"

"I'm getting to that. The spell didn't just send me somewhere else in Equestria. It sent me to a completely different world. Tyro was willing to trust himself in the grip of an unknown spell, just to get me home. I knew it might do something to him, but not this!"

"So, are you tellin' me that this here pony is from a different world?"

Gathering his strength, Tyro spoke. "Yes, Applejack. I am from a world... a world where the Wendigos never came and forced everypony to work together. And I didn't used to be a pony, either. I guess I'm one now, though..."

Applejack blinked.

Tyro went on. "It's not so bad as you're probably thinking, Applejack. That world was dying. I'm happy to be here. That place held nothing for me. In fact, I would rather be here anyway. Twilight, I'm not blaming you for what happened. I'm thanking you. I think I need to rest now, though." With that, he closed his eyes and was soon asleep.