• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 1,781 Views, 40 Comments

Scootaloo's Summer - Kasper COEI



Scootaloo is separated from her fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders, and she makes due with her Summer.

  • ...
1
 40
 1,781

Chapter Two

“…and that, my fellow ponies, concludes this week’s official Rainbow Dash Fan Club meeting!”

Scootaloo stopped speaking briefly, and was immediately followed by tens of ponies sheering. Scootaloo waited for the cheers to die down before continuing.

“And to end this meeting, would everypony please raise their right hoof and recite our Pledge to be Awesome?”

Scootaloo paused again, and everypony stayed silent, raising their right hoof. They all stared at a rainbow-colored flag in the corner of the room. In unison, they all began to recite:

“I pledge to be awesome, to set a new pace; I pledge to be loyal, and never disgrace; I pledge to think new, creative, not rash; I pledge to think cool, just like Rainbow Dash!”

“Bye everypony! See you all next week!”

From behind the stand that Scootaloo stood at, she watched as everypony made their way outside. The ponies all slowly shuffled in mass to the door, where they gunneled in until exiting single-file. Some ponies had conversations over just how fast rainbow Dash could go, and others were recalling some of the ‘awesome’ things that Rainbow Dash had done. It was a short while before all the ponies had left, leaving Scootaloo alone in the room.

She sighed to herself, smiling, and took off the rainbow wig she wore, revealing her magenta mane.
“That meeting went well.” Scootaloo said to herself. “We covered a lot of stuff.” She stared solemnly at the door, however, sad. “I wish Rainbow dash had made it, though. She was supposed to speak.”
She made her way to the corner of the room, where a wooden Chest sat. She opened the trunk, revealing multiple costumes and wigs in it. Some of the costumes were from the Cutie Mark Crusader’s talent show audition, and some were from their attempts at finding their special talents. She placed the wig in the trunk and closed it. Suddenly, a voice came from behind her.

“Hey there, squirt!”

Scootaloo immediately recognized the voice, and a large smile grew on her face. Her wings opened in surprise. She spun around to see her idol standing in the doorway.

“Rainbow Dash!” She exclaimed. She ran the short distance to stand in front of Rainbow Dash.

“Yep! In the flesh!” Rainbow Dash took a moment to pose, and Scootaloo stared while she did.

“Hey, Skitterloo, s—“

“Scootaloo.” Scootaloo cut off and corrected Rainbow Dash. Scootaloo wasn’t at all offended by Rainbow Dash getting her name wrong. She was acknowledged by her!

“Scootaloo, right. Anyway, Scoots, sorry I didn’t make it. The Wondebolts were talking to fans after the race, and I got to talk to them!” Rainbow Dash’s eyes grew wide as she remembered talking to her idols. She began describing her talk with them to Scootaloo, but Scootaloo had zoned out in happiness. Rainbow Dash had just called her a nickname! Scoots! She soon returned her attention to Rainbow Dash, to hear the last of her sentence.

“…so to make it up, how’d you like to come flying with me for a while?”

Scootaloo’s jaw dropped. Did she hear that right?

“F-Flying? With you? Yes, yes, yes!” Scootaloo jumped up and down, and her wings were again out. She couldn’t help but show her joy! But suddenly, she stopped bouncing, and stared at her wings. Rainbow Dash didn’t know that she couldn’t quite fly yet.

“B-But… Uhh…”

“But what?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Scootaloo sighed, as the truth had to come out sometime. She hoped for the best and that Rainbow Dash wouldn’t dislike her for this. She folded her wings and sat down, staring into Rainbow Dash’s crimson eyes.

“U-Uhm, I…” She dropped her head as if in defeat. “I can’t actually fly yet.” She confessed.

“You can’t?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Scootaloo remained silent, and shook her head.

“Well, you need somepony to teach you, then! And it just so happens that you’ve got the best flier in all of Ponyville right here!”

Scootaloo looked up in surprise. “What? Are you saying… you’ll teach me?”

“Yep! I’m gonna train you the same way that I was taught! C’mon, Scoots!’

Scootaloo jumped to her feet, and followed Rainbow Dash as she ran outside. Scootaloo was about to continue running after Rainbow Dash, but she had an idea.

“Wait a minute, Rainbow Dash ‘

In an instant, she turned around and ran back towards the Cutie Mark Crusader’s club house. She ran around the tree it sat on, and retrieved her scooter from where in lay. She picked up the helmet and heard Rainbow Dash calling to her, “C’mon!”

Scootaloo quickly slipped on the helmet, and hopped on her scooter. She began flapping her wings and then began moving. As she curved around the tree, Rainbow Dash laughed out, “Alright! Now you’re talking!”

Scootaloo sped up her wing speed and sped off. In response, Rainbow Dash flapped her wings and flew, following Scootaloo.

“Hey Scoots, we’re heading to the fields north of Ponyville!”

“Got it! Wanna race there?”

“Race? Sure! But do you think you can keep up?”

Scootaloo gripped the handles on her scooter tighter. “I can do my best!”

Rainbow Dash grinned, and prepared to bullet forward. “Ready… Go!” Rainbow Dash surged her wings down and sped up, quickly leaving Scootaloo behind before she had time to react.

Scootaloo followed Rainbow Dash’s actions and surged her wings down, flapping them faster than before. She shot forward, and Rainbow Dash was no longer growing smaller in her view. Scootaloo was going just as fast as Rainbow Dash, although she knew her idol wasn’t going as fast as she could.

Scootaloo didn’t care, though. She was speeding along with Rainbow Dash!

Scootaloo watched the road ahead of her for things she might have to dodge. She saw none for many seconds. She closed her eyes, feeling her wings flapping… She was still at a fairly relaxed pace, only barely straining her wings.

“Time to kick it up a notch!”

She paused her wing beats for a moment, preparing to surge her wings. She shot forward, picking up her wing speed again. She leaned to her left, dodging a branch in the road and then leaned right to be in the center of the road again. She looked up and watched as Rianbow Dash grew closer and closer.

Rainbow Dash looked back to make sure Scootaloo hadn’t been left too far behind. To her surprise, Scootaloo was slowly gaining on her!

“Not bad, Scoots! I think it’s time we pick things up a bit!”

Rainbow Dash surged her wings quickly, speeding up just enough to travel faster than Scootaloo .In return, Scootaloo surged her own wings once, and then twice. She could feel her wings straining to keep up the speed, but she continued onward.

The road in front of her curved, and she followed it, leading into Ponyville. Scootaloo focused her vision directly ahead of her. She could see several ponies walking on the outskirts of Ponyville, and she knew that there would be many more in town. Going around Ponyville would be safer, but directly through town was fastest, and she was in a race after all.

She glared up at Rainbow Dash for a moment, to see how far ahead she was. She hadn’t gotten too far… With a gulp, Scootaloo looked back at Ponyville and continued onward.