• Published 3rd Nov 2013
  • 1,397 Views, 100 Comments

Pearple Juice With Bits - Pearple Prose



Assorted story scraps and bits by me.

  • ...
2
 100
 1,397

PreviousChapters Next
TMP #517: Grief

Wind whistled through the halls of the old mansion, and the floorboards creaked and sighed with the burden of age. Dirty, shredded curtains caught the draught blowing in through the open door and waved almost half-heartedly at the visitor.

Celestia sneezed. The air itself was like liquid: it was so thick with dust that she swore she could drink it up like a particularly disgusting cup of tea. She stepped, hesitantly, out onto the landing, the floorboards whining in distress as the tall alicorn explored the forgotten manor. Celestia eyed the portraits lining the corridors, taking in the wear and tear of the canvas and the grimy frames, dulled with age. She idly tilted a particularly crooked frame back to its rightful place as she considered the rooms around her.

Celestia wandered over to the grand staircase, stepping daintily down the steps and onto the lower floor. A chill swept down her spine as she considered a withered rose in a vase, and she told herself that it was just the wind before continuing on.

Another staircase, this time far less magnificent and far more utilitarian – the basement, surely. Clop-clop-clop went her hooves. Creak-creak-creak went the stairs.

Standing before her was a door: it looked rather unassuming, save for the great iron lock below the handle. Celestia put her ear to it and listened closely. Achingly familiar snoring came from behind the thick oak.

She swallowed slightly, before knocking gently. “Hello?”

The snoring didn't cease. In fact, she swore it only got louder in response.

“Hello?” she said again, this time more forcefully.

The snoring started to break into mumbled words.

“… Is… C… Clover…”

"Hello? Starswirl?”

“Clover… Is th… that you…”

“No, Starswirl. It’s me.”

The snoring halted abruptly. There were a few sounds of small commotion, followed by a clang of something boney hitting something made of metal.

“Arrgh, damn and blast it!”

Celestia let out her breath instinctively. Yes, it was him. It could be no other.

There was some shuffling and some cursing, before the clicks and clacks of bolts and chains being undone. Then, with a great heaving whine, the door opened.

Celestia gagged slightly on the smell that wafted out from between the small crack. It was the smell of sweat, labour, and… some other things that she didn’t want to think of at this moment.

An eye glared up at her from the crack in the doorframe.

“What do you want? Can’t you see I’m busy?”

Celestia’s face fell slightly at the vitriol in his tone, but managed to don a smile all the same. “Hello, Star,” she said softly. “How are you?”

“Fine,” he snapped. “Why do you care? Does the world need saving again? I already told you, I need to finish this destiny spell in order to–”

“No.”

The old pony quietened.

Celestia continued. “I want you Starswirl. Come back to us. Please.”

There was silence for a long moment. It was shattered by a sigh, followed by the sound of the door opening fully.

Celestia looked down at her protege. An old pony with a long, grimy, off-white beard stared back.

“… How long has it been?”

“Seven years.” Celestia winced at the look of anguish on his face.

“I… I’m sorry. I just….”

He choked, and Celestia wrapped him up in a downy white wing.

“I just miss her so much.”

Tears dripped silently down Princess Celestia’s face as Starswirl sobbed in her embrace.

Author's Note:

Prompt #517: "Seven years underground."

Argh, those time limits, goshdarn.

PreviousChapters Next