• Published 3rd Nov 2013
  • 1,397 Views, 100 Comments

Pearple Juice With Bits - Pearple Prose



Assorted story scraps and bits by me.

  • ...
2
 100
 1,397

PreviousChapters Next
Watch Over You

It was quiet in the hospital room, save for the monotonous beep of the heartbeat monitor by the bedside.

There was a knock at the door, and the pony in the bed looked up from her book. "Come in," she said.

The door creaked open, and a tall, white alicorn stepped through. The two ponies looked at each other.

Princess Celestia's lips tried a smile. "Twilight?"

Twilight Sparkle waved a weary hoof and beamed at her mentor. "Hello, Celestia. I'm so glad you could come visit!"

Celestia chuckled. "Of course. I can always find time for my most faithful student."

The two relaxed, ever-so-slightly, and Celestia curled up on the floor by the bed, the cold floor brushing against her warm belly. The two sat in silence for a while, before Celestia spoke up again.

"What's that book you're reading?"

Twilight lifted up the cover so she could see. "My old journal. I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane for a bit." She sighed. "When you move forward so fast, you tend to forget where you came from, you know?"

Celestia nodded, deeply. Yes, she knew that very well. "And have you learned anything new from your... trip?"

Twilight reclined, nibbling her lower lip in thought. "Yes," she said, after some deliberation. "I think I have."

Celestia's politeness turned to genuine curiosity. "And that is?" she asked, a little too eagerly.

"I've had a good life," Twilight said. "I'm happy with... leaving. Even if it is for a long time."

Celestia's smile crumbled somewhat. "You... are?"

Twilight, oblivious, just nodded, her eyes closed with serenity. "Mhm."

Celestia didn't say anything for a while. Long enough for Twilight to take notice. She watched Celestia stare at her, face unreadable.

Then: "I'm glad."

Twilight watched her lips curl into a soft, peaceful smile. Twilight watched her eyes glaze over, becoming both as beautiful and as clear as a diamond.

Twilight sighed.

"Tia."

Celestia flinched.

Twilight leaned over and nuzzled her softly. She whispered into her ear. "What's wrong, love? I know you're lying to—" She moved her head away to cough softly. "To me."

There was silence, for a moment. Then: "I... I just..."

"Yes?" Twilight urged, with infinite patience.

"I... I don't..."

Twilight didn't say anything this time, just wrapped her hooves around her lover's neck for the last time.

"I don't want you to leave me, Twilight." Celestia didn't wail. She didn't shriek. Instead, her body wracked with gasping sobs. "I don't want you to go."

Twilight just smiled sadly. "Shhh, Tia," she said. "I'll be watching over you."

Author's Note:

Another music prompt. This one is inspired by Watch Over You by Alter Bridge.

Kinda forced the shipping here, I think, but I'm pretty pleased with it for what it is.

PreviousChapters Next