• Published 3rd Nov 2013
  • 1,374 Views, 100 Comments

Pearple Juice With Bits - Pearple Prose



Assorted story scraps and bits by me.

  • ...
2
 100
 1,374

PreviousChapters Next
System [Dislestia]

"Do you ever get bored of it, Celestia?"

Celestia blinked, and tore her gaze from the horizon to look at the Draconequus that had chosen to wrap himself around her. Discord leaned his head on a paw, a glass of chocolate milk in his other hand.

"Bored?" She asked. Bored of what?"

"That." He pointed with a claw. Celestia followed it back to the sunset before them. The skies were painted vivid shades of red, orange, and pink. It was, perhaps, Celestia's favourite time of the day; when the sun slowly returned to its slumber, and the moon took up the mantle. "How do you put up with it?"

Frowning dubiously, Celestia searched Discord's face, and found – to her astonishment – absolutely no sign that he was joking. In fact, she almost believed that there was genuine curiosity in those mismatched eyes of his.

Almost believed.

"Discord." She asked, with a tired sigh. "What are you getting at?"

Discord was unmoved. "Every day, the sun rises. Every day, the sun sets. Every. Day. Over and over and over and over and – well, you get the idea." He looked at her properly now, and asked her again. "How?"

Celestia's mouth instinctively opened with a retort already forming. Then it shut again. Then she thought.

"I don't know." She eventually answered, and with complete honesty. "It's just how it's always been, I suppose." She frowned again. "Why do you ask?"

Discord shrugged, taking another sip of his chocolate milk. "I want to know more about you. I mean, we're married now, are we not? And let's face it; whoever invented the phrase 'opposites attract' would have taken one look at us and laughed."

Celestia hummed thoughtfully, before taking a sip of her wine. The couple sat on the mountaintop in a companionable silence while the sun slowly sank below the horizon.

Then Celestia spoke, "What about you? What would you do instead? Let the moon and sun trade places randomly?"

Discord scratched at his goatee lazily. "Perhaps. Yes, that sounds about right. Unless you were expecting it, in which case I wouldn't do that at all." Discord gestured with his paw. "Because, you know, Master of Chaos and all that. As long as the system is thoroughly destroyed, I'm happy."

For perhaps the first time in her long, long life, Celestia tried seeing the world from Discord's point of view. "What about the beings who rely on that system, though? Ponies need plants, and plants need the sun. That's how it's always been."

Discord smiled mysteriously. "Ah, but you forget; life can adapt to change. Astonishingly quickly, at that. And being confined to a system is just so..." he shuddered. "...orderly."

Celestia laughed. "I suppose it is, at that. Who knew!"

Discord pouted at Celestia, and she laughed even harder. Eventually, the scowl broke into a smile, and the two laughed together, as the day came to yet another end.

Author's Note:

So I just rediscovered a vast archive of shipping flash fiction.

Hold on to your butts, this is gonna be a bumpy ride.

PreviousChapters Next