• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 10,818 Views, 412 Comments

Sonic: Chaos in Equestria - Snicket



Sonic makes an unplanned stop to the land of Equestria

  • ...
29
 412
 10,818

The Whispering Woods

The Mane Six, plus a certain blue hedgehog continue to venture though the Everfree Forest, each of them scanning their surroundings.

"I still don't see what’s so weird about this place," Sonic says nonchalantly as he glances at a few large trees. "It looks like a normal old forest to me."

"As a stylist and dressmaker, I can say that looks can be very deceiving, darling," Rarity claims as she matches Sonic's pace. "Why, an elegant dress and a posh hat can merely be hiding a hideous pony, which is especially true in here. What may seem normal is actually anything but."

The blue hedgehog bats the air with his hand at the Unicorn’s remark. "Nah, there’s nothing odd about this place," Sonic states as he walks towards a patch of blue flowers and kneels down to pick one. "See? Look, even the flowers are normal."

"DON'T TOUCH THAT!" Twilight exclaims, prompting Sonic to stop his hand a few inches away from one of the flowers and jump back slightly at the sudden outburst.

"Why not?" the blue hedgehog asks as he turns his head towards the lavender Unicorn.

"That's no ordinary flower. It’s a magical plant that causes ridicule-inducing afflictions to anypony that comes in contact with it," the lavender mare explains as she trots towards a bewildered Sonic.

He scratches the back of his head in confusion. "Could you try saying that in English?"

"It plays practical jokes, which manifest as physical afflictions." Twilight adds, further confusing the hedgehog.

"It changes somethin' about the pony that happens to stumble into them, makin’ ‘em look funny," Applejack says as she appears alongside the lavender mare.

Sonic stands and turns towards the two ponies. "Like what?"

Applejack turns to Twilight, who gives her a small nod, and then back towards Sonic. "Well, Ah got shrunk real tiny, Twi here lost her magic, Rainbow Dash couldn't fly to save her life-"

"Hey!" the cyan mare retorts.

"-Pinkie Pie couldn’t talk, Fluttershy sounded like a stallion and Rarity-"

"Don't you dare, tell him!" the white unicorn snaps. "I'm warning you!"

"-had a bad hair day. So who knows what would happen to ya." She then leans in close to Sonic and proceeds to whisper out of the corner of her mouth, “It was like one a’ them spagoodle-haired dolly ya’ll see at a store. It was right funny, it was.”

Sonic smirks and crosses his arms as he approaches the other mares. "Well except for what happened to you and Twilight, it really doesn't sound that bad."

"Not bad! It was absolutely dreadful! It was the WORST – POSSIBLE – THING!" Rarity declares dramatically as she falls onto a couch that poofs into existence behind her.

"Yeah, and I was stuck walking because I couldn't fly," Rainbow Dash adds. "It was the worst."

Everyone turns towards the cyan mare. She glances back at the group from the sudden attention and shrugs. "What?"

A silence hangs in the air for a few moments, until Twilight clears her throat to get everyone’s attention. "Any ways, just stay away from them."

Sonic nods, grins at the mare, and gives her a thumbs up. "Don't touch the strange blue flowers, got it."

Twilight smiles at the hedgehog's response. "Good, now back to the matter at hoof, we must-"

The mare is suddenly cut off by a heavy boom in the distance. Their eyes frantically scan the area.

"What the buck was that!" Applejack asks as she continues to scan her surroundings.

"I don't know..." Sonic is cut off by another boom. "...but it's getting closer."

Everyone cringes at his statement and goes ridged. "W-what could be out here that'd want to bother us?" Fluttershy meekly asks as she shrinks in on herself.

"I think the bigger question is why they haven't already," Sonic states as he turns towards the cowering yellow mare.

Another loud boom reverberates in the distance, this time causing the ground to shake beneath the seven’s feet.

"Ooooh, that sounded close, maybe it just wants to say hello!" Pinkie Pie exclaims as she springs in the air happily.

"I don't think this thing is coming to greet us, Pinkie Pie."

"Ya’ll think maybe we should run?" Applejack asks as she turns to the other mares. "This thing might not be friendly."

Sonic crosses his arms and frowns in the direction of the last loud boom. "Wouldn't do us any good, it's already here."

The group backs away as a set of large red eyes appears from the darkness, followed by a set of large white teeth. A low growl can be heard as the creature cloaked in darkness advances closer to the group.

"What the hay is that thing?" Applejack shouts as she steps back with the rest of the group.

The figure starts to take shape as it steps into the moonlight. A massive paw with long claws jutting out from the top of it, bearing a distinctive purple coloring is the first to appear from the veil of shadows. Sonic and the others continue to back-pedal as an even larger mass emerges, practically towering over the massive tree line.

“I-it can't be... can it?" Rarity sputters as she turns to the lavender mare beside her. Twilight swallows hard and nods at the white unicorn's question, still gazing up at the looming figure. "That's not possible... is it?" The mare cringes. "See for yourself."

A massive creature covered in dozens of stars with a translucent purple coloring fully emerges and stands before the group. Letting out a massive roar and causing the ground to quake beneath their feet.

"Oh my," Rarity says as she looks up at the creature in a terrified comes into full view.

"There is no way Trixie was able to defeat one of those," the cyan mare comments smugly, despite her pale face as she stops alongside the others.

Sonic continues to stare at the large creature before him. "So, is someone gonna tell me what this thing is or..."

Twilight interjects, cutting him off. "It's an Ursa Major."

The hedgehog lets out a chuckle in response. "Ursa Major… Big Bear, that's clever."

Raising an eyebrow the lavender mare turns to the blue hedgehog. "What?"

Batting the air, the hedgehog waves the notion away. "Nevermind. Is this thing friendly?" Before anyone can answer, the creature plows through some trees, advancing upon the group with a great roar. "Guess not."

"It's not happy that we're here invading its territory," Fluttershy whimpers as she crouches behind the group.

"Even I could’ve toldja that," Sonic responds as he steals a quick glance back at the yellow Pegasus.

A pink streak zips around the creature, stopping on its large snout as Pinkie Pie comes to a sudden halt. "Hey, Mr. Frowny pants. Let’s turn that frowny-" The party pony is cut off as the Ursa Major attempts to smack the pink intruder from its snout, only to strike itself in the face as the pink mare backflips out of the way. “-upsidedowny!” Pinkie finishes, giggling as she finishes her flip. The beast lets out a massive roar as it injures itself, rubbing it's now scratched nose.

"Ok, if this thing wasn't ticked already, that sure did the trick," Sonic comments as the creature turns to the group starts advancing.

"Any ideas, Sugarhog?" Applejack asks as she cowers with the rest of the Mane 6.

"Just one...RUN!" the hedgehog shouts as he attempts to motion the others to follow. They each comply and turn to run, only to be stopped as the massive creature leaps in front of them, blocking their path. The group stumbles about as the ground shakes beneath the Ursa’s feet.

"It's not letting us leave!" Twilight shouts as she stares as the creature before her. The other ponies lets out a collective scream and run in the opposite direction. "Hey wait!" the lavender mare calls out as she hold out a hoof to stop them, but is cut off as the Ursa Major gives chase and charges after the other ponies. "Sonic, Do something!" Twilight demands as she turns to the blue hedgehog.

A massive shake can be felt as the creature lands in front of the fleeing ponies, blocking their path once more. Saliva drips from its massive teeth as it lets out a great growl and lunges at the mares. The ponies cower together, ready to accept their fate.

"Well girls, it's been fun, but-" Rainbow Dash it cut off as something small and fast strikes the beast’s snout, causing it abruptly stop and look around.

"What the hay?" Applejack asks as she cracks an eye open. Shaking the small annoyance off, the creature breaks into a full run and continues to charge towards the group once more, closing the gap between itself and the frightened ponies, only to skid to a stop and let out a massive roar.

"Hey, stupid, over here!" a familiar voice shouts from the distance. The cowering mares slowly turn towards the shout and notice their blue hedgehog friend standing a few yards away, holding 'Tom the Boulder' above his head. "Do I seriously need to throw one this big to get your attention?"

The Ursa Major lets out a mighty roar and starts to charge towards the hedgehog. "Thank god. I don’t think I could heave that thing all the way up there," Sonic states as he tosses the rock to the side and begins running.

Leaping over the group of ponies, the massive creature lunges at Sonic, only to crash into a cluster of trees as the hedgehog dodges the attack.

"You guys should probably run," the blue hedgehog states as he turns to the Ursa Major as it tries to free itself from the trees it smashed into.

"Wait!" Twilight shouts as she and the others prepare to flee. "There’s an old castle not too far from here. Meet us there when you've lost that thing.”

Sonic nods and give the mare a thumbs up. "Got it." He turns to the bear as it pries itself from the entangled limbs. "Now get out of here!"

The mare nods and runs off to catch up to her friends. "Be careful!" the lavender unicorn shouts as she disappears into the forest.

"Yeah, you still owe me a rematch!" Rainbow Dash calls out over her shoulder as Twilight joins the others.

Free from the entrapment of vines and foliage, the colossal creature of constellations heaves out a furious roar and charges towards the blue hedgehog. Sonic smirks at the approaching beast. "It's just you and me now, big guy."

------

The ground beneath them quakes as the Mane Six runs across it. Led by Twilight, the group charges through the dense forest. "You sure you know where you're going?" Rainbow Dash shouts to the lavender mare in front of her.

"Yes, it's not too far now."

Rainbow Dash frowns as the Unicorn’s response. "Really?" The lavender mare leaves the question unanswered as she leads the gang forward.

"Ah hope Sugarhog is doing alright," Applejack says, taking up the rear of the group.

"I'm sure he's doing magnificently, darling," Rarity states as she turns her head to face the wheat colored mare.

"Besides, this is Spiky we’re talking about!" Pinkie Pie adds. "Spiky isn't going to let some mean old starry bear get him."

Twilight lets out a sigh. "I hope you're right Pinkie," she mutters under her breath.

Twilight abruptly stops when she doesn't hear one of Rainbow Dash's snarky remarks, only to notice that she's now alone in the eerie forest. "Haha, very funny, girls, but we need to stay focused here."

Silence.

"Ok, joke’s over, you can come out now."

More silence.

The mare's ears flatten. "G-girls?"

------

Sonic zips through the forest with the Ursa Major hot on his tail, plowing through trees, vines, and anything else unfortunate enough to be in its path. Sonic looks back at the monstrous Major and lets out an arrogant snort. "What's wrong, Fluffy? Can't handle a little fast food?"

The beast releases a furious bellow and picks up speed. "Catch me if you can, you Care Bear reject!" Sonic taunts as he practically flies through a cluster of trees.

------

Twilight frantically searches the empty forest for any sign of her missing friends.

"Applejack! Rainbow!"

The mare turns to a cluster of strange looking plants. "Pinkie Pie are you in there?"

Turning to a large group of zap apple trees. "Rarity...Fluttershy?"

A strange wind blows though the trees, creating a bone-chilling sound as it passes through them. Twilight tenses up, rooted to her spot.

"Sonic! If you can hear me, please, help me!"

The mare's cries go unanswered as she remains alone in the woods. "N-n-n-no problem, Twilight. You can do this." Her right eye begins to twitch. "They’re all just fine, we must have simply gotten separated, that's all."

A sinister laugh echoes through the forest. "Do you really believe that?" the voice asks in a mocking tone.

"Yes, of course!" the mare shouts. "They have never let me down before."

Another sinister laugh cuts through the trees. "What about your-" CRASH. The voice is cut off as something crashes in the distance, kicking up a large dust cloud.

"I knew something about all this seemed off. Ursa Majors are typically on the Lunar plane this time of year rather than the Equestrial one. You separated us and brought that thing here, didn't you?"

Twilight received no response to her inquisition. She took off in the direction of the cacophony of crashes that had erupted upon the voice talking. "I have to warn him, before it’s too late!"

Discord poofed onto the spot the pony just stood upon. "Oh, how naïve you are, my little pony."

------

Two large purple feet jut out from the ground and flail about as if trying to grab onto something. Sonic stands a few feet away from them and lets out an impressed whistle. "I’ve gotta say, I've faced some pretty dumb enemies in my time. You’re way up there on the list, probably just ahead of that lightbulb that decided to challenge me. He wasn’t particularly bright." He sniggered at his own joke, then smirked at the partially visible bear. "You must’ve been hit with the stupid stick one too many times."

Sonic's smile fades as he turns to walk away. "Alright, fun is fun, but they’re going to start worrying about me if I don't-" The hedgehog is cut off as the ground under his feet starts to shatter. Leaping off the crumbling earth, Sonic lands in a large clearing nearby. "Ok, didn't see that one coming."

The earth splits and the once buried half of the Ursa Major breaks free of his earthen imprisonment, letting out a massive roar as it does so. It snarls at the blue hedgehog in front of it.

"I knew that was too easy." He grins. "Ready for round two?"

------

Twilight frantically charges through the forest, heading for the battle sounds coming from not too far off. She ducks under some low hanging branches. "Just a little further and-

The lavender mare is cut off as she crashes into… something that tumbles into her path. White and lavender criss-cross as whatever Twilight ran into tumbles across the ground with her, crashing into a large tree before finally coming to a stop.

"Owwwww, my poor head," a familiar voice says near the mare. Twilight’s head snaps in the direction of the voice and uses her magic to emit a bright pink light from her horn.

"Please, watch where you’re-" she cuts herself off, when she notices a certain white unicorn laying on the ground besides her. "Rarity?"

The white unicorn opens her eyes and looks up at the lavender mare standing before her. "Twilight? Where in heaven’s name have you been?" the mare asks, still shaking off their recent tumble. Twilight smiles and offers a hoof to help to help the white unicorn up.

"Looking for you." The unicorn turn to the direction she was headed. "Aaaaand trying to find Sonic. Something isn’t quite right here."

"I'd say. We're out here, trying to find Discord, while our darling little blue hedgehog is trying to lead away one of the most fearsome beasts I've ever seen. Plus, for some reason or another, we've all been separated," Rarity states matter-of-factly as she returns to a standing position.

The lavender mare nods. "Precisely, which is why we must find the others before this gets out of hoof."

"Lead the way, darling."

------

Large trees fall and thick foliage are reduced to kindling as a massive paw tears through them. Sonic zips around the wooded forest, diving under low hanging branches and grinding down large fallen logs, but to no avail as the Ursa Major maintains its close pursuit. "There’s one thing I like about you, Fluffy. You may be dumb as a brick, but you don't back down from a challenge." The blue hedgehog starts to pull away. "Though that still doesn't mean you can catch me."

------

A zebra stands over a large cauldron in the middle of her hut, dropping an assortment of ingredients into the bubbling liquid, then beginning to stir it. A loud thud from outside causes some of the cryptic items hanging from her ceiling and walls to shake. "What could that loud sound be, shaking up my living tree?"

Another THUD resonates, louder now, and Zecora hits the deck as numerous items around her hut tumble from their resting places and shatter as they hit the ground. The cauldron tips over, spilling its murky contents across the floor. The potion brewer emerges from under one of her large wooden masks and looks around. "It’s going to take more than a broom, to clean my very messy room."

The zebra pokes her head out of her hut just as Sonic zips by. "Strange creature of blue, what exactly are you?" she mutters as she watches him dash way. Zecora's question goes unanswered as something large blots out the moon light for a moment and bounds over her small hut, creating another large rumble as it lands. Scattering the fallen items and knocking the zebra to the ground. "Ah, an Ursa Major is to blame. Is that blue creature at all sane?" Zecora states as she watches the massive beast tear after the hedgehog.

------

Another loud boom echoes in the distance, prompting a certain wheat colored mare to turn towards its source. "There is it again. Ah think we're getting close, Fluttershy," Applejack says as she motions for a frightened Fluttershy to follow.

"W-w-why are we going towards the noise?" the yellow Pegasus asks as she quivers beside the wheat earth pony. "’Cause, knowing that blue rascal and all the trouble Twi’s been gettin’ herself into, those two’re probably not far from it." Applejack motions to something to her right. "C'mon Pinkie. No use gettin' lost again."

The pink party pony nods and springs next to the wheat colored earth pony, "Rodger, rodger!" only to abruptly stop. "But what about Dashie?"

Applejack turns to the pink mare. "Ah'm sure she's doin’ just fine."

------

The once menacing Ursa struggles to break free of its latest confinement: a web of thick, thorny vines that are wrap around most of its body. "Can't believe that actually worked," Sonic muses as he stands atop a large rock. "Most would just go around dangerous pointy things, but not you." He smirks. "You tried barreling right through them." The hedgehog lets out an amused chuckle. "I take back what I said earlier. This makes you the dumbest thing I've crossed." The trapped beast lets out a massive roar. "Ah shuddup!" Sonic snaps. "You've been a big pain in my rear since we crossed paths. Just 'hang around' here for a bit, I'm sure you'll think of something."

Sonic turns towards a large structure in the distance. "I think that's it. Shouldn't be too hard to get to, unless I run into any more of these things. Heh, like that’ll happen," he laughs. A loud ripping noise cuts the hedgehog off, prompting him to spin around and spot an enraged Ursa Major charging right at him. "OH FOR CRYING OUT-" A massive explosion strikes the creature on its back, causing it to skid to a halt and turn towards its attackers.

Twilight and Rarity stand before the beast, both of their horns still smoldering from the blast. "All right, we got him!" the lavender mare boasts as she gives the creature a cocky smirk. Sonic stares at the two in bewilderment. The Ursa Major rips out a fur-raising roar and charges at them.

"Okay, Twilight, what do we do now?" a frightened Rarity asks the Unicorn besides her.

The blue hedgehog dives between the unsuspecting creature’s legs, scoops up each of the mares under each arm and takes off, leaving a cloud of dust in his wake. The beast lets out a massive roar and gives chase.

------

Zipping through the trees, Sonic tries to keep his hold on the mares while maintaining his high speed. Almost dropping them on a few occasions. "Do be careful, Sonic!" Rarity snaps as she give the hedgehog a sour look. "You almost dropped me back there!" Sonic rolls his eyes at the statement. "Well excuse me, princess, it's not easy to navigate through this forest, much less so while carrying two ponies."

The white unicorns glares at the hedgehog. "Are you implying we're fat?" Sonic turns to the white unicorn.

"What? No! I'm saying the terrain ain't very forgiving and holding you guys isn't making it any easier." Rarity scoffs at the statement.

"Give it a rest, Rarity!" Twilight snaps as she looks to the white mare in hedgehog's right arm. "Sonic is doing the best he can," the mare sighs. "Lay off." Rarity drops her head and lets it hang for a few moments. "I’m… sorry, I'm just a little shaken up right now. Didn't mean to take it out on you, darling." Sonic smirks at the statement. "It’s all good, no harm, no foul."

The hedgehog skids to a stop and set the mares back on the ground. "I think we lost him, it should only be a few clicks until we-" Twilight and Rarity cringe at something behind Sonic's back. "Hey, what’s wrong?" He asks, giving the two a perplexed look. "T-turn around." Rarity shudders. The hedgehog raises an eyebrow at the response and turns to see what the two are frightened of behind him. "It can't be that purple thing we…lost…it."

-SMACK-

An Ursa Minor smacks the hedgehog with one of its paws, sending him flying off. "SONIC!" the mares shout in unison as they watch in horror as the blue hedgehog fly out of sight.

The creature lets out a massive roar before it starts to advance towards the mares. "What did it just do?" Rarity asks as she turns to the lavender mare.

"It signaled the big one," Twilight replies as she starts to slowly back up. "Do something!" Rarity demands as the creature breaks into a full sprint.

"Already working on it." Before the beast can strike down the pair, Twilight uses her magic to teleport her and Rarity out of the creature’s line of sight.

------

A gray maned, gray furred mare sits at her dining table, prepared to enjoy some sort of salad. She tilts her head down and takes a bite. Only to have a sour look on her face when she tilts her head up. Swallowing the bite, the mare frowns as she leaps from her chair. "Needs salt," she states as she leaves the room and trots into the kitchen.

A thundering boom, followed by breaking glass and furniture reverberates from the room the mare had just stood in, causing her to slowly turn towards its source. She spots a gaping hole through her picture window and a destroyed dining room with a certain blue hedgehog behind it.

A lone plate swivels on a small shelf, teetering just above the hedgehog's head. Finally falling and hitting him on the head "Ow!" Sonic mutters as the plate shatters on of his thick skull. "Oh my. Are you alright?" The mare asks as she inches towards the blue hedgehog.

"Can't talk got to go!" the hedgehog states as he struggles to his feet and starts to make his way towards the front door, only to stop and turn towards the bewildered mare. "Sorry about the mess."

Next chapter preview:

Rainbow Dash: "What is he doing outside of the forest?"

Twilight: "Together, we give it everything we got."

Sonic: "Pfftt, me nervous? You're delusional, Skittles."

Author's Note:

Our hero plus the mane 6 enter the Everfree forest, in pursuit to stop the Master of Chaos. What will befall this rage tag group of ponies and what hedgehog?
Find out next time!