• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 10,807 Views, 412 Comments

Sonic: Chaos in Equestria - Snicket



Sonic makes an unplanned stop to the land of Equestria

  • ...
29
 412
 10,807

The Fluttershy Effect

Arriving at the large courtyard in front of the castle, the group walks right into a bee hive of activity. Numerous stallions and mares of all origins buzz around the castle square, all wearing ornate outfits, some even wearing battle armor, some covered in precious stones.

"What's going on here?" the lavender mare asks as she glances at the jumble of ponies.

"I dunno, it was like that when we got here," Sonic states as he crosses his arms behind his head.

"Twiley!" a familiar voice shouts from the crowd, causing the Mane Six to turn towards its source just as a large white male unicorn charges towards them.

"Shining!" Twilight yells as she takes off to intercept him.

The two collide in a loving embrace as the white stallion hugs the small mare.

"Aaw, I missed you sis."

"I missed you too."

The rest of the group approaches just as the two siblings break from their hug.

"What are you doing here?" the white stallion asks.

"I have a meeting with the Princess. You?"

"Hey, me too. Cadence and I, along with every other ruler in the world, got summoned here. Speaking of which..." the unicorn trails off as he tried to find his wife.

"Twilight!" another familiar voice shouts as a streak of yellow and pink burst from the top of the crowd.

Twilight grins happily as her former foal sitter lands a few paces behind her brother. "Cadence!" She cheers as she kneels in preparation for their usual greeting, except the princess doesn't seem to share the same enthusiasm.

Shinning Armor notices this as well and turns towards the crystal princess. "Is something wrong, darling?"

"Twilight! I am very disappointed in you." Cadence says crossly as she approaches the lavender mare.

"Y-you are?" Twilight whimpers as she sinks towards the ground.

The princess nods. "Indeed, you told me much of your new friend, but you never-" She smiles. "-said he was so cute~!"

"What?"

The princess lets out a squeal as she abruptly hugs the unsuspecting Sonic, arching backwards and fairing out her wings for support as she stands on her hind legs and lifts him several feet into the air, causing his legs to dangle far above the ground.

"You are just so adorable~! I can't believe Twilight was keeping you all to herself."

Twilight and the rest of the group stare is bewilderment as the Crystal Princess nuzzles the blue hedgehog.

"Uh, Cadence..." Shining Armor begins as he holds out a hoof.

"Not now, I'm not done yet," she states, tightening her hold on the hedgehog.

"I think you're suffocating him."

"I said, give me a second."

The white stallion mopes. "I wish you would hug me like that."

Cadence frowns at the statement and releases her grip from the hedgehog, lowering him closer to the ground before completely letting him go.

Sonic blinks, still in shock over what just occurred."Hey, are you alright, Spiky?" Pinkie asks leaning in real close to the dazed hedgehog.

The blue hedgehog gives his head a shake before responding. "Wow, I haven't gotten a hug like that since I was a kid."

Cadence presses a hoof to her mouth, holding back a giggle.

"So, you must be Sonic," Shinning Armor begins as he holds out a hoof for the hedgehog to shake. "I've heard a lot about you. Mostly good things. However when I heard you were staying with my little sis, I was a bit… troubled."

Sonic shakes the stallion's outstretched hoof. "Relax bud, your 'Twiley' is in safe hands. I would never try anything that would make her feel uncomfortable."

The stallion gives the hedgehog a solemn nod. "I appreciate that, but..." He trails off.

"Hey, she hugged me," Sonic retorts, pointing towards the Crystal Princess as she and Twilight engage in their usual greeting. "I have no control over that."

The ponies behind the hedgehog, chuckle in amusement at the statement.

"Not what I meant."

"No, but you were thinking about it."

Cadence continues to hold back a chuckle from behind her hoof.

"Give him a break, brother." Twilight says, stepping between the two. "Sonic is a good guy. He's saved our lives more than once." She smiles. "Plus, he's someone we've all grown to trust."

The others of the Mane Six nod and voice their agreement at the mare's claim.

Shining Armor turns looks his sister, then at the blue hedgehog behind her. "Alright, I'll give him a chance, but if he tries anything funny, I'll-"

"Do you mean funny 'ha ha' or the bad kind of funny? Because I can make no guarantees with the funny ‘ha ha’."

"You know what I mean."

Twilight quickly scans the area, in an attempt to ease tension, stopping as she notices the crowd of ponies filing into the castle.

"So, uh, why were you summoned?"

The white stallion blinks at the abrupt subject change before responding. "Oh, there has been a sudden increase in acts of aggression with most of the citizens, though when they’re apprehended, they claim to have no memory of the event. Most don’t even show signs that they’re capable of such actions."

"So you think someone is pulling the strings," Sonic finishes as he crosses his arms.

"Maybe, but we first have to find the connection in all of this before we can try to figure out who’s responsible."

"Though what’s even more interesting,” Cadence begins, "is that there hasn't been a gathering this large since the disbandment of the Fellowship."

"The Fellowship? What's that?"

"Apparently, long before Celestia became this land’s supreme ruler, the power was divided amounts several kingdoms. When they would convene, it was called the Fellowship." Cadence sighs. "Sadly, those days are long gone. I wish I was around back then, so I could have seen what it was like to be ruled under such methods."
“You’re starting to sound like Twilight,” Shining Armor notes.
“Do you mean that in a good way, or a bad way?” Twilight asks angrily.
“Yes, do tell, dear husband,” Cadence giggles as Shining Armor backs away a bit from his angry sister.

"So whatever is going on, it's probably bad," Sonic cuts in, interrupting the little quarrel and drawing attention back to the subject at hand.

"Indeed, I wish I could say more, but you know. Royal order and all that," Cadence responds.

Sonic nods and gives the alicorn a thumbs up. "Hey, it's cool. We'll just ask the Princess when we see her later."

Spike suddenly lets out a loud belch as a scroll appears in front of him.

"Nice one, dude," Sonic comments.

Spike lets out a chuckle. "Thanks."

Rolling her eyes, Twilight uses her magic to take the new scroll before it falls to the ground and unrolls it.

"What does it say?" Rarity demands as she steps forward.

The mare looks over the scroll for a moment before responding.
"Dear Twilight,
If you are reading this, then you are at or on your way to Canterlot for our meeting. I regret to inform you that in my haste in attempting to address this matter, your summons was unintentionally scheduled during an important gathering I've been planning for some time now. I'm willing to over look your recent tardiness if you don't make a habit out of it. And please, know that you still are my faithful student and I trust your judgment.
However, I do still with to discuss a matter with you, at your convenience, if possible.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia."

Twilight looks up at the group as they show varied forms of annoyance and shock. "There's more," she adds looking back at the scroll. "P.S. To prevent your journey here being for naught, please accept this." A golden card poofs into existence and flutters onto the scroll. "It is to ensure that you can still enjoy your visit to Canterlot, on me. But please, only use if for things that can be taken back with you without the need of additional transport."

Sonic grabs the still hovering card and examines it. "So she gave you a charge card without a limit." He sighs. "What could possibly go wrong?"

"Oh hush, now Sonic." Rarity berates as she uses her magic to take the card from the hedgehog's hand. "A free pass for anything we want from the princess herself."

The group lets out a collective sigh at the white mare's boastful rant.

Rarity frowns at the reaction of the group and opens her mouth to interject, but is cut off as a loud horn sudden bellows in the distance, prompting the group to turn towards the sound.

"Is it that time already?" Shinning armor asks as he lets out a long sigh.

"I'm afraid so," Cadence replies sadly as she turns to the white stallion.

"But you just got here," Twilight pouts as she approaches the couple, who turn to each other and frown.

"I know, Twilight, but I'm afraid we have to go,” the crystal princess begins as she places a hoof on the lavender mare's shoulder. "But feel free to visit anytime."

Twilight nods. "I will."

The two exchange nods with the group and depart, disappearing into the crowd as a wave of ponies passes by.

"Well, we might as well take a look around. Before Rarity chews off sugar hog's foot," Applejack states as she motions to her left, seeing Sonic comedicly darting away from the white mare, holding the card in his hand.

"Yay! This is going to be fun!" Pinkie Pie cheers as she springs into the air and does a back flip.

------

The group, minus one enthusiastic fashionista, lays exhausted in the grass of a beautiful public park, gaining a few odd looks by the passersby as they notice the anthropomorphic hedgehog lying beside the other ponies.

"Is she done yet?" Applejack moans as she peeks from under her hat.

Twilight lets out a sigh as she rolls on to her back. "Nope, she's still going at it."

"Where does she find all that energy?" Rainbow Dash inquires as she removes her foreleg from her eyes.

Sonic leaps to his feet and stretches his back. "You're not tired now, are you, Dash?"

"No way!" The mare snaps. "I'm just taking a rest."

"Isn’t that the same thing?" the pink party pony asks as she turns towards the cyan mare.

"Quiet!"

The others share a laugh at the pegasi's expense.

Stretching his arms and legs while tilting his head till it gives off a loud pop, the blue hedgehog continues to limber up, much to the other ponies’ annoyance.

"Going somewhere?" Twilight asks, still lying on her back.

"Don't know yet, maybe." Sonic replies as he grabs his left elbow and stretches his shoulder. "Can't keep sitting around here."

"Oh. Alright then, be careful."

"You wanna come along?"

The mare attempts to respond, but is cut off as a burst of green fire shoots between them.

"Sorry Twilight." Spike says, covering his mouth with his hand and motioning towards the black scroll that now hovers before him.

"Hey Twilight, you've got mail," Sonic states as he grabs the hovering scroll and examines it, noticing the silver seal that binds the scroll bearing an elegant 'L' on it. "Hmm, if 'C' means Celestia sent it, then the 'L' must mean... Luna?" the hedgehog asks, raising an eyebrow at the last part and causing the lavender mare to flinch.

"You've met Princess Luna?" Spike inquires as he pats his stomach with his hand, as if to remove any remaining bits of the spell.

The hedgehog shakes his head and passes the scroll off to Twilight. "Nah, just heard about her from Twilight."

"Oh, because I was going to ask where if you did, since she don't leave Canterlot too often, but she's able to go inside a Pony's drea-"

"Thank you, Spike!" Twilight abruptly says, cutting the young dragon off. "I'm sure Sonic isn't interested in hearing any more about Luna."

"B-but..." Spike begins, but cuts himself off as Twilight glares at him. "Yeah, she's right. You're probably sick of hearing about it."

The blue hedgehog scratches his head at Spike's last comment. "Not really, Twilight only brought her up a few times before." He shrugs. "But whatever."

Using her magic to take the scroll from Sonic, the lavender mare lays it besides her and gives him an apologetic nod. "I'm going to see what Luna wants, so I'll have to pass up the offer."

Sonic's ears perk up at the mare statement, trying to figure out what she meant and settling back down when he remembers. "Oh, right, the run. That's cool, you have things to do."

The hedgehog scans the area and notices Rainbow Dash curled up on the ground a few yards away. "How about you, Dash?"

"Pass," the mare replies as she gives the hedgehog a passive wave.

"Applejack?"

The apple bucking mare peeks up from her hat and shakes her head.

"How about you, Pinkie?

"..."

"Pinkie?" The hedgehog turns to the party pony and notices that she's curled up on the ground, sleeping soundly.

Sonic scratches his head in bewilderment. "Well, all that leaves is Fluttershy, and I'm pretty sure she'll say-"

"I'll go," the yellow pegasus says, cutting the hedgehog off and gaining a few odd looks from the other group members.

The blue hedgehog blinks at the mare's reply for a moment, but then grins and crosses his arms in the usual fashion. "Alright, I was beginning to worry I'd be going alone.

"You make me going with you sound like a consolation prize," the yellow pegasus says, giving the hedgehog a dirty look.

Sonic lets out a scoff and bats the air. "Not at all. I just didn’t take you as the adventurous type. We really haven't hung out much lately, so this would be a good chance to catch up."

"You did rebuild that chicken hut a few weeks back," Fluttershy reminds him cheerfully as she flares out her wings for effect.

"Yeah, but me slapping together some wood and calling it a coop and hanging out are two very different things."

The yellow mare frowns at the hedgehog’s statement. "Don't say that, you did a really nice job. It looks like it's a part of the house now, rather than just a place for the chickens."

Sonic lets out an amused chuckle. "Alright, you've convinced me. Let’s go explore the rest of this place," he says motioning for the pegasus to follow.

Fluttershy cheerfully smiles and eagerly flies to the hedgehog's side.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash exchange glances as the two depart. "Did she just volunteer to explore an unknown area?" the cyan mare asks as she rolls to her side.

"It would seem so, sugar cube." Applejack smirks as she lifts her hat. "He does have that effect on ponies sometimes."

"I'll say."

------

Ponies mill about on the streets of Canterlot, entering and exiting the numerous shops that line the streets. Some are gathered and engaged in idle conversion. The day is a wonderfully peaceful one. Or at least it was, until a blue streak zips past, disrupting the tranquil setting. The manes’ and clothes’ of several ponies are blown askew with the sudden gust of wind, much to their owners’ dismay. Sheets of paper and other assorted items scatter at the sudden appearance and departure of the blue blur. A small cart filled with pinwheels is spun completely around, coming to a stop with all of its pinwheels in spinning crazily. A few small fillies and colts 'oooh' and 'aaaw' at the pretty sight. Zipping through another section of town, the blue streak zigzags through the busy streets as it maneuvers around pony-driven carts and other assorted carriages.

Meanwhile an exhausted Fluttershy pants heavily as she slowly trots on the ground, making a futile attempt to catch up with the blue hedgehog. The mare glances at some of the ponies that got caught in the blue blur’s wind and are now attempting to (comically) adjust their disturbed manes and clothes. A few attempt to collect the fallen debris that was scattered in the hedgehog's wake. The yellow pegasus holds a hoof to her mouth in an attempt to stifle a giggle.

The blue streak flies past a few patrolling guards and makes an abrupt stop atop a large stone tower. Sonic takes a deep breath as he admires the view of the cityscape below him. "This is an awesome view, Fluttershy. You gotta see this," he states as he takes in the view. Not hearing a response, Sonic glances behind him, then turns around in a complete circle, looking around confusedly. "Fluttershy?"

The yellow mare continues to pant heavily as she follows the hedgehog's trail of havoc, bowing to a group of passing guards, who nod as they pass. Fluttershy glances up and notices a certain blue hedgehog scanning the horizon, trying to locate the pegasus.

"I'm down here," Fluttershy calls out meekly, prompting Sonic to zip down from the tower and seemingly appear before her out of nowhere. The mare lets out a soft shriek and rears back.

"I was wondering where you went,” the hedgehog states as he walks towards the mare, closing the gap between them.

"Sorry, I wasn't able to keep up." The pegasus looks away. "I guess I'm not very fun to hang out with."

Sonic lets out a quick laugh and smiles as he pats the mare's head. "Don't worry about it, almost no one could keep up with me back home either." His smile fades. "What would ever make you think you’re no fun?"

Fluttershy frowns and sinks towards the ground. "I wasn't able to go as fast as you, even though I'm a pegasus...I…" The mare trails off as she fights the urge to cry, letting a few tears escape and run down her cheek.

The hedgehog kneels down and wipes away the Pegasus’s tears. "Now now, none of that. I won't have you getting upset on my account."

Wiping away a few remaining tears, Fluttershy returns to a standing position and smiles weakly at Sonic. "I'm sorry; I’ll try to stay happy. I promise."

"Good, now that we’ve got that settled…" The hedgehog grins. "You know, I could always carry you. You ponies aren't that heavy."

Fluttershy's wings flare out at this as her face turns bright red. "No, I couldn't..." she trails off as she turns away.”...ask you to do something like that."

Sonic scratches his head as he looks at the pegasus before him. "Why do your wings keep doing that?" he asks, pointing to the mare's outstretched wings.

"Well... um… you see..." Fluttershy begins as she continues to look away. "...it's complicated."

"Try me." Sonic says wryly, grinning at the yellow mare.

"O-Ok, if you insist...follow me." The yellow pegasus says as she motions for the blue hedgehog to follow her. Celestia help me.

------

Twilight continues to lie in the grass, now on her stomach as she reads the book resting in front of her. The mare uses her magic to flip a page and continue to immerse herself into the book, only to break away every so often and glance at the black scroll lying bound beside her.

The mare raises an eyebrow as she turns to the scroll for the umpteenth time and uses her magic to lift it from the ground and have it hover in front of her. Magenta light surrounds the silver seal as it slides from the scroll. It begins to unroll, no longer bound by the moon princess's seal. Twilight eagerly looks on as the scroll, fully uncoiled, lays flat before her.

A shadow suddenly obscures her view, causing her to shoot the perpetuator an angry glare as she snaps her head upward.
"Hey Twilight," Applejack says, greeting the lavender mare.

Twilight's expression fades as she notices the wheat-colored earth pony is shading the scroll. "Hey Applejack, what's up?"

The mare sighs as she removes her hat. "Got a minute? Ah need to talk to ya."

"Of course, Applejack." Twilight states as she turns towards the scroll and uses her magic to roll it back up, reattaching the seal. "Just give me a second."

------

"So, you do that when you experience a strong emotion?" Sonic asks, now lying on top of a stone wall in some sort of garden.

"Y-yes, anything from anger to fear, to surprise, to..." Fluttershy trails off as she covers her head with one of her hooves.

The hedgehog leaps from the wall and lands a few feet from the yellow pegasus."I kinda figured those two things were connected. Thought I'd ask an expert, though, just to be sure," he states, shooting the mare a grin.

"I-I'm not expert." Fluttershy stutters as she removes her hoof from her head. "I'm just...." She trails off and glances at the hedgehog. "Do you think any less of us, now that you know?"

Sonic lets out an amused snort as he crosses his arms behind his head. "Now why would I do something like that?"

"It's just that..."

"Bah! You worry too much."

Fluttershy meekly smiles at the hedgehog.

"We’d better head back now," Sonic says as he walks past the mare. "Everybody’s probably waiting on us."

"O-ok."

------

"You haven't been able to find her?" Twilight asks, giving Applejack a serious look.

The wheat-colored earth pony shakes her head. "’Fraid not. I got Dash checkin' the skies, but we haven't found her yet. The last train leaves in less’n an hour, so if we don't find her quick, we’re stuck here till tomorrow."

Twilight lets out an annoyed sigh. "Where in the name of Celestia could she have gone?"

"Couldn't yell ya, but maybe we should split up’n go lookin’ for her."

The unicorn nods. "Agreed. You stay here and wait for Sonic and Fluttershy to get back. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and I will go look for Rarity."

"Why do Ah gotta to stay here?" Applejack asks as she lets out an angry snort.

"Because you're the only one who would actually stay. If I asked Pinkie or Rainbow to wait for them, they'd probably just wander off."

Applejack rubs her chin with her hoof thoughtfully."Ah reckon you have a point there, Twi."

"Alright, then it's settled. You wait here for Sonic and Fluttershy, while the rest of us go and search for Rarity."

The wheat mare salutes the lavender unicorn. "Good luck."

Twilight repeats the motion and smiles. "You too."

-----

Statues line a stone path as the blue hedgehog and yellow pegasus travel down it. Each seems to represent an important event that in Equestria’s history.

"So what does that one mean?" Sonic asks, pointing towards a statue depicting a unicorn running alongside an earth pony.

"That’s the running of the leaves. We hold it every year in the changing of the seasons from fall to winter."

The hedgehog lets out a low whistle. "You ponies really do control everything here, don't you?"

"Not everything, but we try our best."

"Ok, how about that one?" the hedgehog asks, pointing to a statuette of Nightmare Moon.

"That one represents Nightmare Night, it's um... when ponies dress up in costumes and ask for candy."

"So it's like Halloween, then?"

"Like what?"

"Never mind," the hedgehog replies, batting the air. "What about that one?" he asks pointing to a mare and stallion holding each other in an embrace.

"That's um... Hearts and Hooves day. It’s a day where ponies give their special somepony a gift, take them on a date, or..."

"So it's like Valentine’s day?"

"I don't know what that is, but probably."

Sonic lets out a chuckle before walking in front of the mare, then turning around and walking backwards. "Please tell me you guys have a pony version of Christmas."

"Maybe, but I don't know what that is either." Fluttershy states as she sinks towards the ground.

The hedgehog waves his hands in front of his face. "Ok, no more questions. We should be almost there, unless I’m mistaken..." Sonic trails off as he notices a large stone gazebo, sitting in the middle of the park, decorated with large stained glass windows that almost stand the entire height of it. "Ooooh, what's that?" He asks zipping towards the structure’s large doors.

"T-that's new."

Sonic zips in front of the towering doors and gives them a tug. To his surprise, they swing open without much effort. "Alright, let’s see what's inside,” he says walking through the doors.

"Wait for me." Fluttershy pleads as she quickly follows the hedgehog inside.

A large stone statue of a certain Draconequus dominates the interior. The colored glass of the windows gives the room a bright orangish-pink hue that causes the ornate pillars to cast a long shadow across the marble floor. Each segment of glass depicts an event the creature had a hand in, one showing his reign over Equestria, another displaying him being sealed by the Princess of the Sun and Moon, while yet another shows roughly the same, with the mane 6 sealing him away instead of the princesses. The last one depicts bizarre silhouette, one that the yellow pegasus is unfamiliar with.

Sonic walks towards the statue and gives it a quick once-over. "I think the sculptor must have been having a bad day or something. This thing looks like it fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on its way down."

Fluttershy appears next to him and sinks toward the ground. "That's Discord, and he's, um, not really a statue."

The hedgehog's head snaps towards the yellow mare. "You mean that thing is alive?"

"Yes. He's just encased in stone."

"What?!" the hedgehog yells. "You imprisoned him like that? What sort of sick, twisted, messed up game do you ponies play that would-"

"He almost destroyed our friendship and all of Equestria!" Fluttershy shouts back, her voice echoing along the stone calls. "If we didn’t do what we did, there would only be chaos instead of Equestria."

Sonic kneels down and pats the mare on her head. "Still, isn't that a bit much, encasing him in stone? I mean..."

"We didn't have much of a choice. It was either imprisoning him in stone or..." She begins to tremble, unable to make herself say the alternative.

The hedgehog holds out his hand to silence the pony. "Alright, you've made you point. I won't bring it up again."

Fluttershy slowly returns to a standing position and trots out of the gazebo, prompting Sonic to follow. "They’re, um, probably waiting on us. We should probably get going."

The blue hedgehog nods as he closes the door behind him and joins the yellow pegasus.

------

Applejack paces impatiently back and forth, alone in the large grass field, mumbling a few curse words under her breath as she scans the area.

"What happened, did I miss the party?" Sonic asks as he and Fluttershy approach.

"Where have you been?” the apple bucking pony snaps angrily. "Ah've been waiting here for..." She trails off trying to recall the exact amount of time."...it doesn't matter how long. Where did you two go?"

The yellow pegasus rears back at the mare's question and cowers behind Sonic, who gives Applejack a puzzled look. "First of all, calm down. Second, what’s going on here? Where is everybody?"

Applejack sighs and lowers her head. "Sorry, Ah didn’t mean to be rude towards ya. I'm just a bit frustrated. And as for the rest, the others’re out lookin’ for Rarity. She hasn't come back yet, and the rest of us were gettin' kinda worried. Twi asked me to stay here just in case ya’ll came back before they did."

Sonic stands for a brief moment, absorbing the information. "Alright, I'll go look for her. You two wait here for the others to get back."

"But."

"Relax, I'll find her. Just tell the others to meet us at the train station, so we don't miss the train."

The wheat mare opens her mouth to object, but stops and lowers her head. "Alright sugar hog, we'll do it yer way. Just be careful."

"No problem, I'll be back soon." The hedgehog says as he gives the wheat earth pony a solute and takes off in a burst of speed, sending a gust of wind towards the two ponies as he departs.

Applejack cringes as she holds down her Stetson. "I wish he wouldn't do that."

Next Chapter Preview:

Rarity: "Why would I ever degrade myself to do something so dreadful?"

Sonic: "You got 10 seconds, no, 3 seconds to get out of my sight before I give you more than a bloody lip."

Rainbow Dash: "The fastest thing alive, my tail."

Twilight: "That's impossible, that seal should have held, unless..."

Author's Note:

The Princess of the Sun has gathered the territory rulers of Equestria for something not seen since she assumed rule over the land ponies. Also Sonic meets Twilight's brother and Cadence...with hilarious results. Finishing off with a 'jog' around Canterlot with everyone's favorite shy pony, Fluttershy.