• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 634 Views, 3 Comments

Origins of the Beasts - Astral Sketch



After a thousand years a figure from the past has finally returned. Now will be revealed the history of Princesses Celestia and Luna and of the original Lycan

  • ...
2
 3
 634

The Return

It was the break of dawn as Princess Celestia raised the sun just as she has done so every day. While the Sun Princess started her daily duties her sister Luna, now finished with her nightly rounds was in the Canterlot Gardens alone in one of its most secluded areas closed to the public. Luna had visited this area almost every morning since she returned after having the dark forces expelled from her. Before the night princess was a large stone pedestal and upon it stood a statue of a strange creature. The creature was wolf like in appearance and it stood on two legs. It was reaching out with one of its claws as if it was trying to grasp something or someone that was beyond its reach and upon its face was one of desperation. Even without the pedestal the creature would still be taller than even Celestia. Even as a statue this creature would frighten most but not Luna, she stood before the statue without fear instead she had a look of guilt on her face.

"Good morning Lykos," said Luna, "I came by to see you again, even though I was here yesterday morning. I wanted you to know that the moon was full tonight I know how much you enjoyed them. There were even more ponies out late tonight to see it. I wish you could have seen it too, I'm aware that I've said this before... many times, I don't even know if you can hear me now. But... I'm sorry ... Lykos, I wish... I could undo everything I have done back then, to everypony, and to you".

Luna paused to wipe away a tear.

"I'm sorry, I know you don't like to see me cry, well goodbye for now I'll be sure to visit you again soon my friend."

More tears were beginning to form as Luna turned away I wish I could free you from this she thought, and as she started to walk away the statue suddenly began to crack. Then the cracks began to spread, Luna stopped as she heard the sound of stone breaking apart and when she turned around she could see the statue starting to glow. Then in a flash of light the statue shattered and as Luna covered her eyes she could hear a loud scream. Then when the Princess looked back she saw that instead of a statue, she saw the same wolf like creature but in the flesh standing weakly on the pedestal with its head hanging down. Luna was shocked at what she had just witnessed and before she could say anything the creature fell from the pedestal. Instinctively the Princess used her magic to catch the large beast before it could hit the ground.


Everything was dark for Lykos and he was confused when realized that he was laying on the grass.

"LYKOS! LYKOS! ARE YOU ALRIGHT? PLEASE SAY SOMETHING!" he heard.

The voice was familiar to him but when he opened his eyes everything was a blur and as his vision began to clear, he saw the princess of the night standing over him. She looked upon him with the look of concern and before everything when dark again he was able to say one thing as he closed his eyes.

"L... Luna."


More than a thousand years ago

It was late into the night in the Everfree Forest, Luna as usual walked the darkness alone as her sister rested after watching over the daylight hours. Just as Celestia took pride in her work so did Luna enjoyed her role as Princess of the Night and together the two brought harmony to the land. But although she marveled at her own work Luna again was left disappointed. For centuries the night princess had worked tirelessly to bring beauty into the dark skies so that all who looked up may be in awe at its wonder. But again it was largely in vain for although few saw the glow of the stars and moon, most slept through it all and many even shunned it. Even in their dreams the citizens of Equestria associated the night with their nightmares. Often times she would enter their dreams to try to ease their fears of the night only for her efforts to be forgotten when they awake or dismissed as part of their dreams. All Luna wanted was to be adored like her sister was and many times she wanted to bring this up to her. But because she was already Celestia's equal in status she feared that asking would make her appear petty. So she kept it to herself and continued to walk the darkness alone.

Then suddenly she heard some rustling in the nearby bushes and out of curiosity she walked towards the sound. The rustling sound then moved from one bush to another as whatever it was moved. Luna then walked towards the next bush but as soon as she got near it, it dashed to the next bush. Anticipating its movement Luna used her magic to move the branches of the bush just in time to see what was make the rustling sound. Luna was surprised to see what it was as it leaped out of the bush in front of her. It was a small dog like creature and the more she looked at it the more it reminded her of the wolves that once inhabited much of Equestria. But unlike the wolves she remembered this one was different it was tiny barely reaching halfway up to her foreleg, a pup no doubt. It looked up at her with curiosity and when Luna bent over for a closer look it stepped back.
\
"Don't be afraid little one, we will not harm thee," she said.

The pup did not say a word but it seemed to understand her when it stood up on its hind legs in a manner that looked natural to it. What Luna also noticed was that its front paws were more hand like.

"Thy must be a breed of Diamond Dog are thou?" Luna asked.

Again the pup didn't say anything.

"Very well than, we will be on our way and so should thee," said Luna as she started to leave.

But then she noticed that the strange pup was starting to follow her, so she then used her magic to grab a nearby stick and waved it in front of the pup. The pup than became excited as it wagged its tail focusing its sight on the stick. Luna then tossed the stick way and as she saw the pup chase after it which she then continued on her way. Then to her surprise she heard the pup return and was right behind her. With the stick in its hand the pup reached up trying to hand the stick back to the princess, who then curiously excepted it with her magic. Looking at the excited pup, Luna tossed the stick again and watched it run after it. To her surprise Luna found herself smiling when she saw the pup return yet again.

"Thou are far away from your pack are thee not?" Luna finally asked, "They must be worried for thee."

As soon as she said that the pup lowered its ears as it gave a sad look causing Luna to feel concern for the creature.

"Are thee lost?" Luna asked, then it accord to her, "... thou art's alone art thee?"

The pup didn't need to reply because Luna already knew the answer, just by looking at the pup's eyes she was able to see the loneliness inside and now she felt that she needed to help it.

"Come along then, perhaps we can help thee find a home?" she said.

With that the pup became excited and as Luna began to walk the pup started to follow.

"Those thou have a name?" Luna asked.

She gathered that it did not since the pup just looked at her.

"Suppose thou will need one then," she said," let's see thou are very wolf like in appearance so how about... Lykos?"

The pup should its enthusiasm for the name Luna had just suggested and from there on she decided that would be the name she would call this small creature.

"Lykos it is then, come let us find thee a new home," she said as the two went on their way within the dark forest.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, Unlike my previous story Night Terror this won't be just a one shot. I hope you enjoy it, comments are encouraged and Happy Halloween.

Comments ( 3 )

If there is anything i've learned about MLP,
It's that things sure were interesting 1000 years ago!

Reads the title ooooohhh interesting

Reads the story


I LOVE IT

Login or register to comment