• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 6,439 Views, 151 Comments

An Empress' Wish. - overlord-flinx



Her story is as long as time itself, but her body is as young as yours or mine. This is her story... This is Megan.

  • ...
10
 151
 6,439

(Thoughts by Cadance) Megan The Bright

"When the world was young; before pegasi came crawling out from the first storm cloud born from the Titan Arabus, before the first Earth pony drank from the fount of eternity and grew a horn, even before the first breath of life, there was the Maker and its will." Wait... If this was before everyone or anything, how can it be an accurate retelling of everything? No one was there to document it. Unless the "Maker" documented it, but I find that a little hard to believe.

In the end, seems even the books aunt Luna gave me are just as good at reaching back into the past as Celestia's were...

Do you need information on creation? Got it right here.

How about the manuscripts written out on the day of Equestria's founding? Plenty of them. I even have one that talks about what Princess Platinum had for dinner after the founding. It goes into... Very deep details.

Or maybe you'd like some perspective takes on recent events? A whole wing for that.

But -while all of these are nice- it's not what I'm looking for. I have a few worn books that tell some of the history in the Crystal Empire under Sombra; but it's all information my aunts or even Twilight could tell me. This is my kingdom now. I have a duty to understand my subjects; to know their problems and shoulder them with everyone else. I want to be a leader of the ponies... Not unlike Celestia or Luna. But... Maybe a little more public. A lot of good I'm doing with that, though...

For weeks I've been held up in the palace, reading through every book the others sent me to 'help fill my shelves'. Celestia knows Twilight has enough books to spare. Heh. Still... All of this only leaves me wanting. But... There was that one book I found... The book the keeper of archives gave me. I only read through the first few pages before I put it down. Everything I read in it -every word- felt so... Other-worldly. Which really fits when you think about it. A creature from another world in a story that comes off as other-worldly? Crazy, right?

Still... It almost seems like fiction to me. Maybe that's all it is... An old pony's tale so old no pony even remembers it. On the other hoof... Even if that's the case... It's a story no one knows anymore, right? So, fiction or not, I'll crack it open. Last book I'll read tonight, Shining Armor, I promise.


"The First Empress: Megan the Bright". Chapter One.

First Empress of the Crystal Empire, Megan. A creature with a name unlike any other in all of history. Her skin was without a coat on any shade, though she possessed a mane of gold. She walked upright on her hind-legs, much like a Minotaur or some sort of monkey. But, unlike those aforementioned creatures, Megan both lacked a tail and seemed relatively civil at first. As the time went on, it was clear that Megan was something beyond comprehension. These written observations are set by myself, a personal adviser to her Holiness, Megan. What I write here I call "The anomalies of the outsider".

I admit, the wording of that may come off as standoffish to her holiness; but what she is and was will go down in the panels of history as awe-inspiring. These unmitigated facts of our empress, Megan. How for years we could not understand a word she spoke, but she understood us fluently. How the flow of magic seemed to flow wherever she walked, as if life itself was following her. These impossible feats she could perform beyond any reason. She was both an inspiring vigil, as well as a terrifying force.

Perhaps the greatest act of her holiness, Megan the Bright, was the task she carried out upon her first day as a ruler. Upon the battlefield she came into being -the same battlefield she had halted two warring parties with her voice alone- she looked out upon the remnants of carnage -the slaughtered bodies and mauled corpses- and closed her eyes. Her thoughts were her own in that moment, no pony ever asked her what passed through her mind in that moment; we all only know what her thoughts produced.

From the broken bodies and bloodied fields came a light. A light that shattered the grounds, springing from the carnage something no one had expected: Crystals. Pure, immaculate crystals. They broke from the earth, bringing with them from the cracks in the land lush and sudden floral growth. In seconds, the entire field where battle was being waged had become a beautiful garden adorned with crystals that would cut at the sky. And in the center of it all was a building crafted purely from the very same crystals; a castle of solid, unbending earth. Something impossible, yet it was before the eyes of millions. From carnage and war came the Crystal Empire. An entire Empire born from a single creature's thoughts.


...Her... Thoughts? This room I'm standing in... The... EVERYTHING. It was made by someone's thoughts? How can that--? Wow... There has to be more, so much more. I'll-I'll... I'll fuss over it tomorrow. Tonight, I have a lot to think over. And I'm sure Shining Armor's feeling pretty darn lonely lately. So busy reading books... Heh. I'm turning into Twilight! Not the worst thing to turn into, I guess.


"Make it go away, make it go away. None of this is real, none of this is real! If I just close my eyes and-and-and... Picture myself home, I'll be there in a second. Come on, come on... Please... Oh, God, make it go away. None of this can be real! Please, I don't care what it is... Just make it all go away!"