• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 6,385 Views, 120 Comments

The Royal Apples - Radical Gopher



A mysterious stallion delivers a strange "package'' to the doorstep of Cranky Doodle, and all Equestria hangs in the balance as a result.

  • ...
8
 120
 6,385

Chapter 13

“Rise and shine Big Brother. We’re burnin’ daylight.”

Macintosh Apple felt the blanket being pulled off him as he struggled to wake up. The sun was just peeking over the horizon and the farmer realized overslept. “What time is it?” he asked groggily.

“About five-forty-five in the monnin’” Applejack replied, stepping back as the stallion slowly rolled out of bed and planted his hooves on the floor. “Considerin’ how late y’all got back from Canterlot, Granny and Ah thought it’d be a good idea ta let ya sleep an extra hour.” She turned and left the room to give her brother a chance clean up.

“Thanks,” he muttered to no one in particular as he tried to brush the sleep from his eyes. He couldn’t understand it. Why did he feel so tired? Normally, a short night didn’t bother him much, even one with Luna. For some reason though, he was feeling a little ‘off’ this morning. Macintosh ambled slowly down the hall and into the bathroom. He tried throwing water on his face, then soaking himself down with a cold shower. Neither did much to wake him up. Returning to his room, he put on his collar and went downstairs. The stallion didn’t understand why, but like so many things that were off this morning his horse collar seemed unusually heavy. He wondered if he were getting sick, but he dismissed the thought. He hadn’t been sick since he was ten years old and had the pony pox. That was, of course, IF you didn’t count the occasional farm accident related trips to the Ponyville Clinic.

Everypony was already outside at the large table next to the house eating breakfast. Getting himself a cup of coffee, he went outside to join them. As soon as his hooves hit the ground he started to feel a lot better, more energized. He smiled, took a sip on his coffee and sat down to a hearty breakfast, his appetite restored.

“So what are your plans today?” Granny Smith asked as she bit into a piece of toast with apple-butter jam on it.

“After Ah finish ma lessons with Lady Starlight, Ah thought Ah’d get the plow out and start preparing the new acreage fer planting.”

“Why bother?” Applebloom asked. We ain’t got nearly enough saplings gathered yet ta plant the orchard.”

“Maybe not,” said Applejack, “but that piece o’ land’s lain fallow fer way too long. If we turn the soil now and get it properly fertilized...”

“And get rid o’ all them dad-gum rocks,” Granny chimed in.

“... and get rid o’ the rocks, the land’ll be ready fer the saplings when we’re ready fer the land.”

“Eeeyup,” added Big Mac.

“That makes sense,” said Applebloom. She suddenly brightened. “Maybe some of them rocks are really gold. If me and the crusaders helped, we could earn our cutie marks in gold mining.”

Grins were shared all around the table at the red-maned pony’s enthusiasm. “’Fraid not young-un. School starts next week and we’ve got ta get ya into town and buy supplies,” said Applejack.

“AW!”

“Don’t worry,” said her cousin, Apple Seed. “You’ll have lots o’ time to ramble around with your friends this afternoon.”
A distant whistle cut through the morning air and all eyes turned towards the front gate. “Sounds like Derpy’s getting an earlier start than normal on the mail,” observed Granny.

“I’ll get it,” Applebloom announced, leaping out of her chair and galloping towards the main gate. Several longer than normal minutes went by before she reappeared, dragging a leather satchel behind her that was almost twice her size and so overstuffed it was leaking letters. Big Mac got up and went over to help, easily lifting the mailbag off the ground. Applebloom went back and chased down the trail of envelopes that stretched back to the main gate.

“What in tarnation have we got here?” asked Applejack.

The stallion put the satchel on a clear area of the table. Apple Cake and Carmel Apple started sifting through the post. “Looks like most of these are telegrams for Big Mac,” said Carmel. He paused for a moment. “Why are some of them addressed to Prince Macintosh?”

“Prince?”

“That’s what they say,’ said Apple Seed who joined in the sorting. “Ah... here’s my copy of the Equestrian Gazette.” He unrolled the paper and stared at the headline, then held it up for every pony to see.

PRINCESS LUNA TO WED!

Paramour Plow Pony to become Prince!

Sir Macintosh Apple Named as Consort.

All eyes turned to Big Mac. “Is there something y’all need ta tell us?” asked Applejack.

**********

Shadow Starlight didn’t feel at all well. When she had dragged herself out of bed, several hours later than normal, she’d made the mistake of looking in a mirror. Her ebon mane and tail hung in ragged strands, her eyes were bloodshot and her gray coat was frizzed as a result of the night-sweats. Worse, when she tried to brush her mane out the mere act of lifting the brush from the vanity next to her bed brought on a splitting headache. She slowly walked to her bathroom and filled a glass of water by hoof, then removed a small bottle of aspirin from her medicine cabinet and shook out two tablets. She swallowed them with the water then went back to bed.

Reaching above her bed, she pulled on a small bell rope to summon the duty orderly. A few moments later there was a soft knock on her door and it opened to reveal a palomino earth pony with a blue and white striped mane and tail, trimmed in neat, military style.

“May I be of service Lady Starlight?”

“Yes,” she replied. “I’m feeling somewhat under the weather this morning. If you could, I would like you to send a message to Sir Macintosh Apple at Sweet Apple Acres in Ponyville. Inform him that I shall not be able to meet with him today and will see him on the morrow.”

The orderly nodded. “Yes milady. Would you also like me to inform the Knight Commander that you are currently indisposed?”

She shook her head. “I have no scheduled duties today, so I don’t believe that’s necessary. All I need is some bed rest and plenty of fluids.”

“Yes, your ladyship. With your permission I will send your message then bring you a bedside table with some apple juice and water for your convince.”

“Yes, thank-you very much, corporal.”

“My pleasure, ma’am.” He closed the door and trotted off to fulfill her request. He made a mental note to send for a surgeon’s aide if the Lady Starlight was not feeling better by evening. This he would do, with or without her permission. Such was his duty as a Knight’s Orderly.

**********

The sun was up and Twilight Sparkle was just getting ready to catch a short nap, having once again spent the entire night studying about ancient mythological creatures. As she entered her bedroom she noticed Spike was still curled up in his small bed. It seemed rather odd, since he’d gone to bed early last night and was not prone to oversleeping.

Gently, she went over to him and pulled back his blanket. He half-opened one eye and groaned loudly. “Is something wrong?”

“Uh! Ugg! Oh! Bellyache! Monster sized!”

“Have you been into the ice cream again?” Twilight asked, a gentle chiding tone in her voice.

“No I haven’t... Urk!” He burped, then a panicked expression washed across his face. “WINDOW... QUICK!”

The alicorn knew exactly what that meant. Scooping up the dragon with her magic, she carried him over to the bedroom window and flung it open, aiming him up and away from the tree. What followed was a tremendous belch, backed by a tongue of green flame at least a hundred feet in length. It lasted for more than fifteen seconds, then sputtered out like a lighter running out of fuel.

“Whew... Oh boy, does that ever feel good!”

“What in Equestria did you eat?”

“Nothing out of the ordinary... I swear. I didn’t even have anything from my stash of snack gems.”

“Well, that belch certainly wasn’t your normal ice cream belch. You sure you didn’t eat something magical? A flower? An herb? Maybe a parasprites?”

“Yech! Why would I eat a parasprite?” Spike paused for a moment. “Come to think of it, there were those tea crystals.”

“Tea crystals?”

“Yeah. I found some black powder in the tea canister that tasted a bit like crystal. Come on, I’ll show you.” The dragon led Twilight down to the kitchen and climbed up his step-stool. He stopped when he got to the counter and looked around. “Where is it?”

“What?”

“The tea canister. I set it aside right here so I could take it back to the shop and get a refund.” He noticed the window was opened once more. “You don’t suppose the squirrel has it?”

“Squirrel?”

“Uh huh. We’ve got a tree squirrel that keeps sneaking into the kitchen and messing around. I think he’s after some food.”

“And he took the canister?”

“I don’t know. It was here, but now it’s gone.” Spike looked at the alicorn. “You haven’t been in the kitchen, have you?”

“No... I was so busy with my research I ordered out.”

“Twilight!”

“It was just a small pizza and some dandelion juice.”

The dragon shook his head. “You know you’re supposed to eat more greens.”

“Well, there were bell peppers on the pizza,” she grinned but Spike wasn’t buying it. “Anyway, what does that have to do with the missing tea canister?”

“It doesn’t,” the dragon replied. “But I wanted to show you that black powder.”

“Did you use any of the tea yesterday?”

“Yes. I made some for Big Mac and the unicorn who’s been teaching him. Shadow Starlight.” He suddenly snapped his fingers. “Wait a second. I poured out the teapot, but I forgot to clean out the tea strainer.” He quickly looked through a small pile of dishes he hadn’t yet washed and pulled out the small strainer. It was acorn-shaped with a top that unscrewed and a small chain. Holes in the side allowed hot water to seep in and leach out the tea. Laying a clean dish towel on the counter, the dragon unscrewed the cap and dumped the moist tea leaves onto it. Both he and Twilight examined the refuse.

“I don’t see any black powder,” Spike said.

“It probably dissolved in the hot water. How often did you make tea yesterday?”

“Just twice. I opened a new box because they were guests and the canister was almost empty.”

“So only Big Mac and Starlight drank from that box,” said Twilight.

“I guess, unless that squirrel had some.”

“Enough with the squirrel, Spike.” The alicorn carefully folded the edges of the cloth together so nothing would spill from it. “I’m taking this down to the lab and see what I can see.”

“You think it’s that important?”

“Well, something gave you that belly ache this morning and it if was magical I want to know exactly what we served to our guests.”

**********

With breakfast over, the core of the Apple family gathered in the farmhouse to sort the morning mail and other matters. Macintosh went over the whole evening step by step and filled them in on all the details up to the point where Princess Luna had teleported him home about two in the morning.

“So let me get this straight,” Applejack said. “Luna proposed ta ya last night over dessert.”

“Eeeyup.”

“And y’all accepted.”

“Eeeyup.”

Applebloom was on the living room floor still sorting through the mail, organizing Big Mac’s letters into piles labeled Prince, Prince Consort, Sir and just plain Macintosh Apple. “So if ma brother is a prince...”

“Prince Consort,” Applejack corrected.

“Okay... a prince concert, what does that make me?”

“An annoying little squirt?” said Apple Cake as he handed her yet another pile to sort.

“Ain’t cha suppose ta be out in the south forty spreading manure with your cousins?” said Granny Smith.

“Can’t Ah spread some in here?” he asked with a grin.

“This ain’t no time for ruining ma carpets,” the matronly Apple replied.

Getting the oblique hint, Apple Cake rose to his hooves. “On ma way,” the pony replied, trotting to the door. “Maybe once he marries Princess Luna they can declare the farm a duchy. That way Granny could be the Grand Duchess of Sweet Apple.”

“GIT!”

Big Mac couldn’t help but notice a bit of a grin on Granny’s face as their cousin went out the door. He sighed, then rubbed both temples with his hooves. Applejack noticed immediately.

“Y’all feelin’ alright, sugar cube?”

“Got me a bit of a headache,” the stallion replied. “That and the house feels a might stuffy.”

“Probably too much o’ that fancy champaign and celebratin’.” Applejack thought for a moment. “Tell ya what... Why don’t y’all take Applebloom inta town fer her supplies and Ah’ll hold down the fort here. The walk will do ya some good, help ya clear yer head.”

The stallion thought about it for a while, then nodded. “Sounds like a good idea... Ah could use the air.” He looked over at his little sister. “Come on squirt, get yer saddle bags. We’re off ta do some school shoppin’”

Moments later the two of them were outside and cantering towards the main gate. They reached the road and turned left heading towards Ponyville. Like before, the moment Big Mac came into contact with the earth he started feeling better. His head still ached a little, but now it was dull and far away like any pain that was slowly fading. He also found it easier to breathe and the warm air of late summer filled his lungs comfortably. As always, there came a point where Applebloom wanted to race some and Big Mac obliged her, but he found himself tiring far sooner than normal and after only a few minutes, his pace slowed to a walk.

The headache came back, though not as fiercely as before. He stopped to catch his breath and watched as his disappointed sister trotted back to his side. “Y’all okay big brother?” she asked.

“Eeeyup. Just enjoyin’ the mornin’ sun,’ he said, trying not to worry his sister. Unfortunately, it wasn’t exactly the truth. He knew it, and being an Apple she could sense it as well.

“If yer not feeling so good maybe we should go back home so y’all can lie down.”

The stallion just shook his head. “Got chores ta do in town. Ah’ll rest when they’re done.” With that, they continued their trip.

As they approached the edge of Ponyville the two Apples could see something unusual was going on. Before they could investigate they heard a small hiss from above them. They looked up and saw small blue, rainbow maned pegasus sitting on a small cloud.

“Hey you two... get out of sight before anypony else sees you.”

“Rainbow Dash?” asked Applebloom. “What in tarnation’s goin’ on?”

“Your brother is what’s going on,” she replied. “We’ve got ponies arriving from every city in Equestria with a newspaper or a magazine or even a comic book company, all trying to figure out a way to interview the new Prince of Plow Ponies here. Sheriff Silver Star is doing his best to steer them away from your farm, but it’s like herding cats. If they get one look at you coming into town then the game’s up.”

“Aw... but Ah was hopin’ ta see Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle at the stationary store. Big Mac was bringing me in fer school supplies.”

“I’m afraid your friend is right,” said another voice. The farmer turned and came face to face with a purple-furred mare with a white and light purple mane and tail. On her flank she wore three smiling yellow daisy’s.

“Miss Cheerilee,” beamed Applebloom.

“Howdy, ma’am,” said Big Mac. “Lookin’ forward ta the new school year?”

“As always,” replied the school teacher. “But I’m not looking forward to the riot that might break out if either of you are seen in town.” She looked up at the stallion. “I already know what supplies your little sister will need for this next term. Why not let me buy them for her and you can reimburse me later.”

“Ah’d hate ta impose...”

“Oh, you wouldn’t be imposing. I’m off to the stationary store myself to get a new lesson plan and roll book. Believe me, it would be a pleasure to help. I’m hoping this year Applebloom might become her class valedictorian.”

“Valadic,,, whatis?”

“She means the class egghead,” Rainbow Dash explained. Cheerilee shot a look at her which could have fried her pin-feathers off. “Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing,” the pegasus finished lamely.

In the distance there was a bit of yelling taking place in front of both the city hall and the sheriff’s office. “You should get going now, Cheerilee urged. I’ll stop by with Applebloom’s supplies later today.”

Both Apples thanked the teacher and Rainbow Dash and turned around heading back towards Sweet Apple Acres. As they walked into the distance the pegasus landed next to Cheerilee and looked at her. “Is it my imagination, or did Big Mac look a little run down?”

“If you mean was he sweating for no reason and were his eyes bloodshot, then no, it wasn't your imagination.”

Author's Note:

Decided to post an extra chapter today since its small, but still fills in the general direction of the story. Thought I build a bit more towards the climax.