• Published 29th Oct 2013
  • 11,814 Views, 583 Comments

Memoirs in Ink and Blood - Corah Il Cappo



She betrayed us. She mislead us. She imposed her rule upon us. We rose in defiance. Sequel to The Monster We Made

  • ...
64
 583
 11,814

Strength

She had called for war.

For too long I had refused to believe my sister was capable of something so cruel and calculated. I had buried my wife and sat through her funeral in denial. I had laid awake night after night, staring at my ceiling unable to sleep, wondering what I could have done.

I should have gone with Cadence. I should have stood by her side and fought till my last breath as she had. Instead, I had sat by in denial, crying my eyes out with indecision as I was torn between my love for my wife and my love for my little sister.

I had been blind, deaf, and paralyzed.

I was done sitting by. I had received her call to war, and I had answered. I strode towards the newly cleaned throne room, my sword trailing behind me. I hadn't wielded a blade in almost five years, not since I had served on the northern border during the Gryphon wars.

Prince Blueblood followed behind me.

He seemed to be able to read my intentions almost instantly. He didn't say a word, but only fell in alongside me.

Soon, we stood outside the heavy oak doors of the throne room, and finally the prince spoke to me.

"What do you intend to do, Captain?"

His question was valid. I couldn't kill her. She was a goddess now. Her power was immeasurable, while mine was woefully limited. Even if I were of equal power, could I bring myself to do it? She was my sister, and deep down, I knew I still loved her. So what was I here for.

"I'm here to right my wrongs. I should have acted. I should've nipped this in the bud, but I didn't. All I can do now is try to fix that."

The prince nodded.

"You're a fool. A brave one, but a fool nonetheless."

He was right. I didn't dispute that. I only asked why he had come along with me.

"You're not the only one with sins to mend."

With that I threw open the doors. The resounding boom echoed through the throne room. I stormed in, my hooves stomping across the marble tiles

I saw Twilight, seated not on the throne, but on the floor. She sat hunched over a multitude of books, pouring over them with great gusto. I recalled fondly the nights she would spend in the same position at home, curled up by the fireplace with a good book.

"Why are you here?"

I didn't have a good answer. To atone for my sins? To slay a god? To avenge my wife? I didn't answer. I only said the first thing that came to my mind.

"I know it was you."

She seemed so calm as she nodded in reply. It was as if she were in blissful serenity amid a world of chaos.

"And you're here to avenge Cadence, aren't you?"

I stood there in silence for some time. Blueblood filled in the silence as he conversed with the goddess, but I had filtered it out. Was that all this was? A mission of revenge? No. This was a mission of regret. I could no longer live with myself, and so I had resolved to clear my conscience or die trying.

An earsplitting crack suddenly snapped me back into reality. I watched as my sister's hoof shot out and struck the prince in the chest, hurling him across the room and skidding limply over the marble floor. I dashed to his side, quickly checking for signs of life. He gave a hacking cough, and cursed loudly. He was alive.

I looked up to see Twilight crossing the room with a single flap of her wings. I let out a scream of rage, and slashed at her with my blade. It chinked harmlessly upon her foreleg, as though I had struck metal rather than flesh. I told Blueblood to run, and run he did.

I pushed with all my might, a mere mortal throwing his weight against the wrath of an enraged goddess.

"I don't want to fight you brother."

Too late for that. My anger had boiled over. I would clear my conscience or die trying.

Before I could do either however, I was wrestled to the ground by three of the palace guards. I struggled and writhed in their grasp, trying to break their hold, but to no avail.

"Don't fight me. I want you to fight with me."

She wanted me to join her? After all she had put me through? After she had murdered my wife? Betrayed my trust? Thrown my homeland into chaos?

"I'll never join you! You're a murderer! You killed Cadence!"

I spat out the words as if they were poison. Tears flowed down my cheeks. I wailed. For the first time, I wailed for the death of my love.I wailed for the loss of the sister I cherished. I wailed for the innocent young who were slain by the friend they had trusted.

Suddenly, silence.

The world went black. I thought I felt myself slump to the floor, but I wasn't sure. Was this death?

Suddenly, I felt breath drawn into my lungs. The world exploded back into view, and sound once again rang in my ears. I sat there panting for air.

Twilight's voice echoed in my mind.

"Yes. I killed Cadence. But the same magic I used to slay her can give her back to you. I can raise her again, brother. All I ask is that you remain as captain of my guard."

I had spent too long being inactive.

I had the opportunity get Cadence back.

I could right my wrongs.

All I could do was nod yes.