• Published 29th Oct 2013
  • 11,814 Views, 583 Comments

Memoirs in Ink and Blood - Corah Il Cappo



She betrayed us. She mislead us. She imposed her rule upon us. We rose in defiance. Sequel to The Monster We Made

  • ...
64
 583
 11,814

I am Discord

I was not always Discord.

At one point, I had no name. Names didn't exist yet. The very idea of a title was something I would have scoffed at. I knew who I was, so what did it matter if anyone else did?

As time wore on however, the idea of names became more prevalent. Though I myself never applied them, I would wear countless names over the vast eons. I would be known as Scourge, Drought, Blight, Chaos, Madness, and Entropy, and those were just some of the simpler titles I went by!

Now however, I was Discord.

That's the funny thing about names. They can change at the drop of a hat. For example, most would consider love to be a name for affection. However, to one of my traveling companions, Love was a word for food, no different from something like say... french fries. Or take the name of Twilight Sparkle. Once it would have been seen as the name of a student, gleefully discovering the world of friendship. Now it was the name of a murderous goddess determined above all else to kill me.

What a weird world we lived in these days.

After a five day journey, we had exited the Everfree for the first time in several months now. I did not like what I saw. The grass was yellow and prickly from lack of rain, and the earth was dry and cracked. As I shuffled along through the withered landscape, small clouds of dust kicked up at my feet. Above my head, the sun and moon both occupied the sky forming a blinding eclipse. The stars too were out, though burning far brighter than I had ever seen them. They were like pinpricks of light against an already blazing backdrop.

Beautiful, yet terrible.

Luna, Chrysalis and I prepared to take to the sky, but stopped suddenly. A strange noise assaulted our ears, like the high pitched grating of metal on metal. We looked up, nearly blinded by a new, even brighter light in the sky. I shielded my eyes, then was thrown off my feet in a sudden blast of fire, smoke, and kicked up dirt.

I landed on the ground spine first, momentarily paralyzed with shock. The air had been knocked out of me, and I struggled to catch my breath. In a moment my breath returned and my vision cleared. All I could see was fire. The forest trees, at least those that had not been splintered by the blast, were now ablaze, as was the dry grass beneath our feet. Thick black smoke rose in great plumes, blotting out the sun, moon, and stars. I coughed as I floated up, trying to locate my companions.

I swept my claw through the air, and the fire followed, leaping up off of the grass and wood and into the air, forming a massive ball of flames. Clenching my fist instantly dissipated the blaze, leaving only a few crackling embers in its place.

I quickly scanned the area, finding Luna and Chrysalis looking very shocked and singed, but also very much alive. I breathed a sigh of relief, before regrouping with them. Not a single one of us could believe what had happened. This was no freak act of nature, that was for sure. This was a direct attack from the goddess herself.

She had nearly wiped out all three of us without being anywhere near us.

Even one as old as me had to shudder at the thought.

If we weren't in mortal peril of another attack, this would have been a prime time for us to discuss at what point a god became an abomination. Perhaps a lengthy discussion on whether it was power or personality that turned something into an abomination. But no. Now it was time for us to flee screaming through the sky as more and more of the goddess' assaults rained down around us. I did my best to deflect or dissipate the raining balls of flame as they crashed around us, but it felt nearly impossible.

It felt as though the world around us was ablaze, like we had been swallowed up in a sea of flames. The ground beneath us was an endless stretch of burning fields and houses and screaming ponies as far as the eye can see.

The last time I had seen such misery was during my brief stint in Tartarus. Before I knew what had hit me, I lay face down in the dirt, choking on smoke. I struggled to breathe, at least until I bent the laws of nature to breathe in smog. I lifted my claw, prepared to once again dissipate the raging inferno, before an unseen force sent me sprawling. I scrambled to get to my feet, before once again being tossed like a rag doll.

There was a pretentious metaphor about me being an unneeded and unwanted toy in this somewhere.

I tried to rise a third time, only for the world to be suddenly blotted out from my vision. I felt every bone in my body snap in an instant, then crackle back into shape with the next. Finally, I pushed up, breaking through the object that had crushed me.

A house.

There was a brief respite as I caught my breath, before a new pain seared through my chest. I glanced down, and saw my chest pierced by what looked like a piece of molten iron, and felt about as pleasant. Without even a second to react, I was suddenly ripped upwards into the air, just before something solid struck the back of my skull and sent me throttling earthward once more.

I tried to get up, feeling as though my body had been crumpled like a paper ball.

I felt something warm and sticky coating my stomach.

Blood.

I cast my eyes skyward, and saw a single winged form slowly descending from the heavens.

I am Discord.

And for once in my life, I am afraid.