• Published 28th Oct 2013
  • 10,495 Views, 487 Comments

Kingdom Hearts: Friendship's Turmoil - Superdale33



Kingdom Hearts x Equestria Girls. Sora travels to a world that holds a powerful magic, which he must protect from the impending Darkness while searching for his lost friend, Riku. Takes place after Dream Drop Distance.

  • ...
20
 487
 10,495

Chapter 14: Before the Fun

Kingdom Hearts: Friendship’s Turmoil
Chapter 14: Before the Fun

The basement of the school was a place that was considered off limits. Students, nor a few of the staff members, were allowed within the dark confines that lay underneath the school. Not that there was anything of importance or value. It was simply uncared for, with broken lights and leaky pipes, making the place quite hazardous. However, because of the room’s off limit rule, it was a perfect place to hide. No worries about peering eyes, or sudden walk in’s.

It was a brilliant hideout for both Vexen and Zexion.

Though Vexen would have loved to have taken credit for finding it, Zexion was really the one who suggested it. It wasn't too far away to keep up with the events happening constantly, yet it wasn’t too close to be caught by their enemies. It was also the perfect place to conceal something far more sinister than Vexen had ever came up with.

However, despite the plan coming along nicely, Vexen was quite irritated by the overall progress. They may have started the plan yesterday, but the implementation wasn’t instantaneous, even with an illusionist like Zexion at work. Pacing had no effect on the speed in which Zexion worked, but it was all Vexen could do. His steps echoed in the empty room, his arms behind his back as his face was contorted in barely restrained annoyance and fury. The dim lighting and bland walling only made it worse.

With a growl, Vexen walked straight for a door, barging right through it as he ground his teeth. “How long could it take, Zexion?” he snarled, gripping his hands in front of him.

“Patience,” Zexion replied calmly, unfazed by Vexen’s sudden entrance. Zexion had his large, black book in his hands, leafing through the many pages that were filled with incantations and spells. He sat in the center of the room inside of a white circle, drawn with chalk, and surrounding him were a dozen Dusks which stood on the ring. With a quick glance to Vexen, Zexion turned another page. “This type of magic is very complex and delicate. Forcing it to be finished will only lead to little or no change whatsoever.”

Vexen grunted disdainfully, but remained silent, knowing that Zexion was right. As much as he wanted it done, rushing the process wouldn’t work in their favor. He had to sacrifice speed for quality. With a small sneer, Vexen crossed his arms, gazing around the group of Dusks that remained perfectly still. They weren’t even in a small idle dance like they usually were. It was amazing how obedient they were, especially since they were nothing like that back in the Castle that Never Was.

At that thought, Vexen chuckled, placing a hand over his mouth in an ill way to hide it. This did not go unbeknownst to Zexion, who raised an eyebrow while still reading his book.

“Something you find amusing?” he questioned.

“I was simply regarding the Nobodies,” Vexen answered, gesturing to the Dusks, “I know you are well versed in illusions, but to have the Nobodies think we’re Nobodies as well is quite astonishing.”

“I’m surprised you're still up hung on that topic,” Zexion said, causing Vexen to frown, “There was no logic in tricking the Nobodies into thinking we were a part of them until recently. I’ve always had the ability, just no reason to use it.”

Vexen turned away, doubting that considerably. Zexion may have been powerful with his illusions, but there was no way he would have had a spell like that before hand. Though he was the one who came up with the idea, it was still far fetched for Vexen to believe. Still, it hardly mattered in the long run, especially with what Zexion came up with.

Walking over to examine one of the Dusks, Vexen asked, “When did you say you would be finished?”

“In three days time,” Zexion answered before lifting his eyes off of his work, facing Vexen completely for the the first time. “Why do you ask?”

Vexen chuckled darkly, turning to leave, “Oh, no reason. I just can’t bare the wait.”

***

The top room of the Mysterious Tower was shrouded in silence. Yen Sid stood in front of the moon-shaped window, gazing out into the abyss of stars. His mind was constantly wondering about the progress of the keybladers. He hadn’t explicitly told Sora or Riku how long they would have to remain in that new world. He had hoped that they would keep the Darkness away long enough for it to lose interest. However, certain events were changing his position on the issue.

It was quite clear that the Darkness would always seek out the magic of friendship. Having Sora and Riku in the new world had helped protect the magic, but they couldn’t remain there forever. The Darkness was trying with all its might to destroy the magic of friendship, through the efforts of Xehanort and any other parties.

It was at that point that Yen Sid came to a sad conclusion. Even if Sora and Riku were able to drive away the Darkness, either by pushing it away or finishing it off completely, it would come back in time. Their objective was important, but it would only be a temporary solution. And considering they were dealing with Xehanort, it was obvious that he had a plan if he were to fail.

Though it was unavoidable, it did stand true that Sora’s efforts were making an impact. In time, Yen Sid had no doubt Sora would find Riku and fight back the Darkness, even if the results lasted a short time. And that would mean his return to his home in Destiny Islands, and in turn, would mean…

Yen Sid looked back over to Kairi, standing against the wall with her head facing the floor. Her mood had not improved since she had arrived with King Mickey after the incident at the Keyblade Graveyard. She was really torn up about Lea, and Yen Sid knew that being distracted may be the only thing to get her mind off of it. Or some good news.

It was at that moment that Mickey pushed open the door to the room, taking a deep breath at finally arriving back from his trip to the new world. Kairi instantly noticed his appearance, pushing off the wall as she briskly made her way over to him.

“Your majesty,” she said, her tone desperate as she clenched her hands in nervousness. “Did you talk to Sora? How is he? Did he find Riku yet?”

“It’s alright, Kairi,” Mickey replied calmly, holding up a hand to rest her anxiety, “Sora is fine. I told him about the situation, and unfortunately, he hasn’t found Riku yet. But I did learn that Roxas is with him.”

“Roxas?” Kairi questioned, tilting her head to the side in shock. Her mind was at ease knowing that her friend was okay, but the new information threw her for a loop. “You mean Sora’s Nobody? How did he come back?”

Mickey shook his head. “Your guess is as good as mine.”

Kairi leaned back, putting a hand over her heart at the same time. She was thinking back to when she had her own ‘Nobody’. If Roxas was able to come back, did that mean the same could be said for Naminé?

“I believe I can answer that question,” Yen Sid spoke up, causing Kairi and Mickey to turn their heads to him. He walked over to his desk before sitting down, closing his eyes in thought. The other two walked in front of him, standing side by side as they awaited his response. They didn’t need to wait long as he opened his eyes and spoke.

“The world Sora and Riku entered is special,” he started. “The magic of friendship is held within. You both know this, correct?”

After Kairi and Mickey’s nods, Yen Sid continued. “This magic is very powerful, and not even I know it’s limitations. However, it can stand to reason that Sora is connected to this magic in some way. How this is possible is because he is the key. Whether he is the key to friendship itself is yet to be determined, but the magic of friendship in that world is connecting Sora with his friends. Those who have no means of activity on their own are especially affected.”

“What do you mean by ‘activity’?” Kairi asked.

“I mean those who do not have physical bodies, or those who are asleep by internal means,” Yen Sid answered, “This is particularly evident in Roxas. He cannot exist on his own, but with the aid of Sora’s heart and the world’s unique magic, he is able to manifest into existence. Who else lie in Sora’s heart may reveal themselves in due time.”

Kairi smiled brightly, “So, is there a chance Naminé could appear?”

“Perhaps,” Yen Sid nodded, “But remember, Naminé is a part of you, Kairi. Though Sora is connected to her as a friend, she is linked with your heart. She may be able to fade in and out, but without you in that world, she would not be able to come back fully.”

Kairi let that sink in a moment, making sure she understood completely. It was rather confusing, but she grasped the concept easily enough. Yen Sid turned to Mickey, who stood to attention as he was addressed.

“My old friend,” Yen Sid said. “Besides informing Sora about Lea, did you also do as I requested?”

“Yep,” Mickey responded. “The defenses are in place. I also told ‘em how to activate it. Hopefully it won’t come to that.”

“Very good.” Yen Sid nodded in acknowledgement, stroking his long beard. “Now then, I suggest that Kairi get back to her training. She still has much to learn.”

Kairi gave a half smile as she gave a silent giggle. Though she really did need to learn more about combat, she was certain she was catching up to Sora and Riku. In time, she would be able to help them, instead of standing on the sidelines.

***

At long last, the final bell for the school day had rung, signaling the beginning of the weekend. The hallways were quickly filled with the chatter of students, flooding the area without much thought. Despite the packed environment, Twilight and Rarity had no problem walking through without any hindrance, the students coincidentally getting out of their way. As Twilight stared directly ahead, a few books wrapped in her arms in front of her chest, Rarity looked around like she was in deep thought. However, her eyes always strayed back to Twilight, narrowing her eyes every time she did.

Twilight took no notice of this, not until she was suddenly grabbed by the elbow by Rarity. Twilight dropped her books in an instant as she was dragged into an empty classroom. It happened so fast that she couldn’t even voice a protest before Rarity let her go and pushed her into the room. It wasn’t the violent kind of push, just the kind to hurry her along. Rarity slammed the door shut, standing in front of it with her arms spread off to the side as if Twilight was going to try to escape.

“Alright, darling,” Rarity said, looking very determined as she furrowed her brow. Twilight, for her part, blinked multiple times, wondering what was even happening. “You must tell me what is on your mind.”

Twilight tilted her head to the side, brandishing her confusion openly. “On my mind?” Twilight repeated, “What are you talking about?”

“Oh, don’t play games with me regarding relationships!” Rarity practically shouted, pointing a finger at her before quickly walking to stand in front of her. “I know that look. You had the same one around Flash Sentry. You have a crush on someone.”

Twilight swallowed, chuckling nervously as she looked the other way. She didn’t think she was that easy to read. Then a thought struck her as she looked at Rarity, who had a smirk with her arms crossed in triumph. “Wait a minute,” Twilight said, rubbing her chin, “Rarity, how could you know what ‘look’ I had for a guy I was thinking about? I’ve never been interested in another boy before, especially not someone named ‘Flash Sentry’.”

Rarity’s eyes widened, realizing her slip up. With a groan, she softly hit her head with her fist. Why hadn’t anyone told Twilight about the other Twilight from the pony world? Then again, Rarity wasn’t about to say anything either. That answered her question fast enough.

Taking a deep breath, Rarity gave an exaggerated smile, showing her teeth as she tried to cover up what she said. “Well, um, darling,” she said, placing a hand on Twilight’s shoulder. “I, eh… saw the same look on Fluttershy! You and her aren’t too far apart when it comes to boys. Heh heh.”

Twilight blushed a bit from that response, accepting it without much argument. Rarity gave a sigh of relief, relaxing her shoulders before standing tall again. “So you do have a boy in mind, hmm?” Rarity asked, regaining the upper hand.

That caused Twilight's blush to grow, bowing her head in an attempt to hide it. “Maybe…” she mumbled, but it was heard by Rarity regardless of her volume, who gasped sharply, a wide smile on her face.

“Why, darling!” she said as her hands landed on her cheeks. “That’s splendid! You simply must tell me who it is!”

Reluctantly, Twilight twirled a strand of her hair in her hands, “...Roxas.”

Another sharp gasp came from Rarity, looking very giddy with this new set of information. “You like Roxas?!” she said, her voice cracking a bit from her excitement. “That’s marvelous, darling!” Rarity grabbed a chair nearby and sat down on it, leaning forward intently. “Tell me everything!”

Twilight let out a sigh, knowing there was no way around it. Rarity leaned forward in anticipation, but before Twilight could say a word, the door burst open, startling both of them.

“Twilight!” Pinkie said, holding all of the books Twilight had dropped in the hallway, “Why is all your stuff on the floor? I’m pretty sure that’s not where books go. Unless you’re starting a trend, in which case, I highly recommend you start a different one!”

The tone was cheery and positive, as usual, and Twilight and Rarity couldn’t help but giggle. “Pinkie,” Twilight said, walking past Rarity and over to her other friend. “I didn’t do it on purpose.”

“Well, duh,” Pinkie said as she passed Twilight’s books to her. “That’s why it’s a joke, silly.”

With a smile and a roll of her eyes, Twilight shuffled back to Rarity, setting the books down on a nearby desk. Pinkie looked between the two before asking innocently, “Why are you two in here anyway?”

“Twilight likes Roxas!” Rarity blurted, making Twilight hide her face in her hands in embarrassment.

“Whoa,” Pinkie said in surprise, her jaw dropping, before counting her fingers. “So we have Fluttershy liking Sora and Twilight liking Roxas. What exactly do those two have in common?”

“Why, they’re heroes, darling,” Rarity explained nonchalantly, brushing her hair to the side. “Everyone likes a good hero. They’re chivalrous, courageous, and are very loyal to someone who’s captured their heart. Why, the way Sora and Roxas fought all those ruffians yesterday… I would go so far as to say that no one in this school could compare!”

Rubbing her head, Twilight thought back to when she had suddenly liked Roxas. It was so nonsensical, yet it didn’t feel forced. Though there was some entity nudging her along, she felt like it was meant to be. For Twilight, she hadn’t realized what it would be like to have someone to love, or how much she actually wanted it.

With a sigh, she stood up straight, giving Rarity a determined stare. “Rarity, Pinkie Pie,” Twilight said, turning to each of them in turn, “Can we please just go now? I don’t want to talk about it right now.”

With an unladylike groan, Rarity pushed herself to her feet dramatically. “Oh, very well.”

“Yeah,” Pinkie agreed, jabbing a thumb towards Rarity. “What she said.”

“Thank you,” Twilight said with a smile, relieved that the subject was dropped. With a quick swivel, she grabbed her books again, adjusting them to hold them comfortably. Rarity walked over to stand by Pinkie, not thrilled that she was denied a chance to hear of another relationship. After having everything settled, Twilight made for the door and pushed it open, entering the crowded hallway again. Rarity and Pinkie Pie followed behind, with the mood between them completely apparent. Though the hallways were as full as before, the three still had no trouble walking around. With Twilight a little ahead of the other two, it gave a bit of room for Pinkie to ask a question that was on her mind.

“Say Rarity,” Pinkie said, a thoughtful expression on her face as Rarity looked at her expectantly. “What if another hero like Sora and Roxas appeared? Who would love him?”

Rarity shook her head, “Darling, it isn’t just because they’re heroes. There are many other factors that go into it. And besides, not all heroes fall in love.”

“You sound like you speak from experience,” Pinkie pointed out, blinking and smiling innocently.

Rarity faced the other way with a small scowl, “...Perhaps.”

***

“What?” Miss Cheerilee asked in puzzlement, holding a stack of books in her arms. “No, I’m not an expert on love.”

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo groaned in disappointment, each of them not liking that answer at all. They stood in the library, where Cheerilee was working after school hours. Cheerilee shook her head as she walked past the girls, heading for a bookshelf underneath the balcony.

“Are you sure?” Scootaloo asked desperately, running up to Cheerilee. “You had a lot to say about love when we tried to get you and Apple Bloom’s brother together.”

In the middle of reshelving a book, Cheerilee shot a sharp glare at Scootaloo, who chuckled nervously. “Okay, I see your point,” Scootaloo said with an uneasy smile.

“Well,” Sweetie Belle spoke up, walking with Apple Bloom to stand beside Scootaloo. “If you don’t know much about love, then who does?”

Cheerilee sighed, knowing there was no way to get rid of the three girls without answering them. “Probably Miss Cadence. She’s always bragging about it.”

“Why didn’t we think of that before?” Apple Bloom asked, causing the other two to shrug. “Let’s get goin’ then.”

Just as the three were about to head for the door, a loud cough came from Cheerilee, catching their attention. “Girls, she already left. She always leaves early once school is over. You’ll have to wait until Monday.”

“Aww,” Scootaloo whined, kicking a speck of dirt on the floor. “That’s lame.”

“I guess ‘Operation: Get Sora and Fluttershy Together’ is a no go, huh?” Sweetie Belle asked, looking to her friends.

With a raised brow, Apple Bloom said, “First off, we never gave this ‘operation’ a name. Second, what kinda name is that?”

“A good one,” Sweetie Belle beamed, smiling with pride.

“Anyway,” Scootaloo spoke up, breaking up Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle’s argument before it could escalate. “We’ll have to wait until Monday to talk to her.”

“Well, duh,” Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle said simultaneously.

Scootaloo threw her arms in the air with a groan, “Ah, whatever.”

The three left the room quietly, causing Cheerilee to look back with a frown. However, it didn’t last long as her lips erupted into a smile. Grunting to herself, Cheerilee got back to reshelving books while whispering, “Those three girls certainly make a good team.”

***

Sora leaned against the wall beside the trophy case of the main lobby with his arms crossed. His mind was wandering off to the party that was planned in less than an hour. The thought of just hanging out and having fun wasn’t foreign to him, but it was very different to what had been happening over the last few years.

With a chuckle of anticipation, Sora imagined how Roxas would behave in such an area. However, it was quickly taken away as his mind drifted over to Riku. There he was, running to have some fun when Riku was still in the control of the enemy. If there was some way to free him, Sora would search for it relentlessly. Sadly, that wasn’t the case, so he was forced to wait.

Maybe he really did need this party; it would help him get his mind off all of his troubles, even if only for a short time.

A shadow suddenly passed over Sora, breaking his train of thought as he looked up to a rather intimidating figure. He wasn’t really mean looking or anything, but his tall stature and stoic expression made Sora uneasy. He had on an open red jacket over a white shirt, with blue jeans, reddish tan skin and orange hair. His eyes, though looking uninterested, stared at Sora like daggers.

Looking up at him, since the guy was a head taller, Sora scratched the back of his head nervously. He wanted to tear his gaze away, but found his eyes glued to the other’s. It actually scared Sora a little.

“Um…” Sora started, noticing how close the man stood. “Can I help you?”

“Eeyup,” the man answered, but gave no other response, prompting Sora to fill in the blanks himself. Based on the events that had unfolded that morning, Sora gave a fairly educated guess

“Does it involve the video?” Sora asked, already knowing the answer. He had to wonder why the figure couldn’t just say what was on his mind, but Sora dared not say that out loud.

“Eeyup,” the figure answered simply again, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly.

“Right,” Sora replied, taking a deep breath, “Well, what exactly are you upset about? All I can say is that Sunset was lying about me.”

“Even ‘bout Applejack?” the man suddenly asked, catching Sora off guard. Sure, Sora had gotten more than a few comments regarding the video, but most of them were about how he acted towards Fluttershy. This lead to Sora jumping to a certain conclusion.

“Are you… Applejack’s brother, Big Mac?” Sora asked back, gesturing towards the figure.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac answered yet again with a short nod. That definitely put Sora on edge, if Big Mac hadn’t already. Hoping to defuse the situation before it could become worse, Sora waved his arms in front of him rapidly, looking quite distraught.

“It’s not what it looks like,” Sora explained. “Me and Applejack aren’t going out. We’re just friends.”

Even Sora had to admit that it sounded forced. Though Big Mac didn’t look too angry, the tone he spoke in made it clear he wasn’t amused, “How can I trust ya?”

Sora’s mouth hung open, unsure how to answer that question. He never even considered that Applejack’s relatives would react to the video. Knowing that he was in trouble, Sora idly scratched his cheek, his hope fleeting with each passing second.

“Sora? Big Mac?” Applejack said, suddenly entering the lobby to see the two. Her expression was a mix between confusion and anger, as if she already knew what was going on. “What the hay is goin’ on?”

Sora wasn’t sure how to respond, knowing that Big Mac was simply trying to protect his sister. Instead, he looked between them anxiously, unsure how to say it. Thankfully, Applejack was able to put the puzzle together as she gave a frustrated and surprised grunt.

“Big Mac,” she said sternly, marching right up her brother, who actually showed a bit of fear as he winced. “Are ya gettin’ mad at Sora for that video?”

Based off of Big Mac’s expression, he definitely didn’t want to answer, already regretting his actions as he looked to the floor. “...Eeyup.”

“Oh for the love of…” Applejack muttered to herself, putting a hand to her forehead as she closed her eyes. “Big Mac, Sunset Shimmer put that video up. You know, the girl that tried ta brainwash everyone?”

That statement made Big Mac cower a bit, but Applejack was far from done as she put her hands on her hips, “And another thing. Even if Sora was my…” She stopped for a moment to look off to the side. “...boyfriend, I don’t need ya to confront him. You can come to me.”

“But-”

“I don’t wanna hear it,” Applejack interrupted with a shake of her head. Seeing Applejack talk down to Big Mac bewildered Sora, thinking that the older sibling was the one that should be the one to scold the other. Never the less, Sora sympathized with Big Mac, and knew he had to defend him, even a little bit.

“Hey, don’t be too hard on him,” Sora interjected, taking a few steps forward. Applejack whipped her gaze over to him, but Sora stood firm. “He was just looking out for you, and you can’t get mad at him for that.”

Applejack stared at Sora for a few seconds before she gave a heavy sigh, relaxing her body, “I suppose you're right, Sugarcube.”

Big Mac released a sigh of relief, but Applejack got up to his face, causing him to jerk back. “But I don’t want ya believin’ Sunset’s lies, ya hear?”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac answered quickly, nodding his head.

“Good,” Applejack said, taking a few steps away. Big Mac released a breath he had been holding and wiped away some sweat that had formed on his forehead. Another small glare from Applejack caused him to turn away from the two and briskly head out the front door. After he left, Applejack chuckled, her seriousness dropping instantly. “He’s a nice fella when ya get to know him, but he gets a little protective.”

“Ha! I’ll say!” Rainbow said with a big grin, revealing herself as she walked up to the Sora and Applejack. “I haven’t seen him so scared since the time you tried getting him with Miss Cheerilee.”

Sora chuckled himself, crossing his arms. “Now that’s something I’d like to see.”

“See what?” Pinkie Pie asked, her arms behind her back as she lead all of the other friends. “If it’s cake, I’d like to see too.”

“No, nothin’ like that, Pinkie,” Applejack said with humor in her voice while waving a hand. Sora glanced to the group that had entered, noting that everyone was all gathered together.

“Are we all set?” Sora asked, more to Pinkie as she was the one who was setting this party up.

“Yes indeedy,” Pinkie quipped with a cheerful hop. “Everyone is ready to get funky with it.”

“Assuming that means to party,” Rarity whispered with a glance to Pinkie. “I concur. We’re ready.”

With a final nod, everyone turned for the door and headed for the entrance. Though everyone was quiet, they were enthusiastic about the time off, especially Rainbow Dash, who was quivering in excitement.

“This is going to be awesome,” she said, pumping her arms beside herself. “The first thing I’m going to do is-”

“Halt,” the authoritative voice of Vice Principal Luna exclaimed, freezing everyone in their tracks. Turning their heads, they all saw Luna standing there with her arms crossed, an unamused expression on her face. Her face alone made the group frown, making them apprehensive to what she wanted. The few students that were lingering in the lobby hastily made for the exit, leaving the entire area to themselves.

“Um…” Twilight spoke up for the group, breaking off from them and approaching Luna cautiously. “Is there a problem, Vice Principal Luna?”

Luna nodded, her eyes on Twilight a moment before turning to the group. “I’ve just come in regards to Fluttershy’s detention, and I suppose Sora’s as well.”

“Oh no,” Sora mumbled, a hand landing over his eyes. “I forgot.”

Fluttershy wasn’t taking it well either, her hands stroking her pink hair as she muttered over and over, “Oh dear, oh dear…”

It was sadly true that Sora and Fluttershy hadn’t finished their detention yet. As far as they knew, they had only finished half of the hallways they were meant to clean. It had slipped both of their minds, since the many events that had unfolded regarding the video and the anticipation of the party had kept their mind busy.

Sora scanned over his friends, seeing that they were looking at either him or Fluttershy, who was really looking sad. She was as excited for the party as much as he was, though she didn’t necessarily show it. Sora couldn’t bear to see her so sad, and with finality, he walked forward towards Luna and Twilight.

“I’ll take over for her detention,” Sora announced, “So they can go to the party, right?”

The expression Twilight gave him was fondness for his small sacrifice, and sadness at seeing him have to work. The other girls shared a same face, but Roxas simply shook his head as he closed his eyes.

“Always gotta play the hero, huh?” he said, though there was no hint of annoyance, only acknowledgement. He was glad that Sora was able to make such a decision.

“As noble as your request is, Sora,” Luna said, exaggerating the statement and catching everyone’s attention, “I actually came to you to tell you that your detention has been retracted.”

“Retracted?” Rarity repeated.

“Yes,” Luna nodded, having an indifferent demeanor, “Sora and Fluttershy are off the hook.”

“Wait, really?” Sora asked, tilting his head to the side. “Why?”

“Because…” Luna said, trailing off as she was suddenly put on the spot, slightly panicking. “I said so.”

Everyone raised their brow in doubt, except for Fluttershy who simply rubbed her arm, not wanting to question Luna further.

“Run along now,” Luna said with a shooing gesture. “I’m sure you want to get to this party.”

Everyone remained still for a moment, not sure if it was some large prank. However, Luna’s constant shooing eventually made everyone hesitantly head for the doors. A few times they looked behind them, only to see Luna waving goodbye. It only made their suspicion grow, but by the time they completely left the school, Rainbow shouted, “Alright, let’s get going!”

The others slowly but surely dropped their suspicions, continuing down the concrete path. “So Rainbow,” Sora said, making her turn to him with a smile, “What were you saying before? About the first thing you were going to do?”

Rainbow gave a half smirk, turning away with a raise of her chin, “I’ll let it be a surprise.”

The others laughed at that as they continued on their way. Luna, having approached the doors, watched as they disappeared around the corner of the school. A feeling of loneliness washed over her, causing her to sigh. She couldn’t remember the last time she had friends like that, and that wasn’t counting her sister. With her head tilted downward, she turned around to head back to her office, only to nearly run into Celestia. With a yelp, Luna jerked back with her eyes wide, and Celestia gave a barely suppressed giggle.

“Did you want to go partying too, sister?” Celestia asked with a knowing smile, putting a hand on her hip. Luna rubbed her arm in annoyance, keeping her eyes trained to the floor.

“No, Tia,” she replied exasperatedly, knowing that Celestia had teased her many times before. After a few seconds, Luna looked back to Celestia, turning serious. “I’ve done what you asked,” she stated, “But may I ask why?”

“Certainly,” Celestia responded calmly, her smile never wavering. “They’ve had a rough couple of days. I think a party is something they all deserve. Especially Sora and Roxas.”

“If you say so,” Luna grumbled, standing up straight as she walked past Celestia. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have many reports to file, especially one pertaining to you-know-who.”

Understanding her meaning, Celestia gave a quiet chuckle. She was happy that Sora and Roxas got some time to goof off, and with the six girls with them, she knew they’d be in safe hands. They really were something else.

As she watched Luna walk back to her office, Celestia’s smile slowly lowered to a frown, thinking back to how Luna watched the group leave. It was mildly depressing, but it was a look that Celestia had seen for a few years. She thought she would be used to it, but it always hurt to see it.

“Oh, Luna,” Celestia said, hugging herself sadly. “Why do you always have to be so busy?”

Author's Note:

I don't think I've ever been so busy before in my young life. I suddenly wish I was back in high school, at least then I'd get more chapters out. Anyway, next chapter will come out sooner (I can feel it), and it'll be great. Trust me!