• Published 9th Nov 2013
  • 13,016 Views, 1,300 Comments

The Epic Quest of Ford Mustang - RoyalRainbow



Over a year has passed since his arrival, and Ford Mustang is prepared to ask Rainbow Dash for her hoof in marriage. But when an unknown force of darkness emerges, it's up to Ford to save not only his loved ones, but the world as well.

  • ...
92
 1,300
 13,016

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9 – All is Lost

Chapter 9 – All is Lost

Under the ugly, gray, stormy sky, there are three ponies standing out in the middle of the field of wildflowers, right on the outskirts of Ponyville. On one side are two Pegasi, Rainbow Dash and Ford Mustang, who were just wrapping up their anniversary date after noticing the bizarre overcast that originated from the Castle of Canterlot. On the other side stands Arrogon the Destroyer, who has recently increased his own powers tremendously by absorbing Celestia, Luna, and Discord within his cursed amulet. Now, the two sides are facing each other as Ford and Rainbow try to figure out on who this mysterious tyrant is, while Arrogon on the other hand is inches away from tying up one loose end.

“Rainbow Dash, we meet at last.” Arrogon pronounces with revolting delight. “You have no idea how long I have looked forward to this moment.”

Initially shocked by Arrogon’s sudden appearance, both Rainbow and Ford glare simultaneously at the party crasher before the blue-haired stallion steps forward as he demands in outrage, “Who the buck are you?”

When Ford questions Arrogon, the menacing pony didn’t pay any attention to him at first. He just stands there with a deadpan expression for only a few seconds. But suddenly, he snaps his head sharply as his piercing, fiery eyes flicker intensely while they lock onto Ford's. A bit startled by Arrogon’s demonic stare, Ford is swiftly pushed back by the unforeseen telekinesis before he is plowed right into the ground several yards away from the other two.

“Mustang!” Rainbow cries out to her coltfriend afar.

Hmph! So rude!” Arrogon scoffs at the Pegasus he just tossed aside. “I was getting to that part anyway. Now then… where was I? Ah, yes! Allow me to introduce myself.” he continues before bowing lightly at the disinterested Rainbow Dash. “My name is Arrogon, the newly appointed, supreme ruler of Equestria, and eventually, the world! And I am here to accompany you to my newly acquired castle, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow just stares at him with a raised eyebrow as her anger builds up like a thunderous storm. “Okay, first of all, if this is your idea of a joke, you’re buckin’ terrible at telling it!” she responds brashly to the uninvited guest as she readies herself for a fight to come. “Second of all, I don’t think the Princesses will take you so kindly if you talk so smugly like that! And finally, that was my coltfriend you just knocked aside, and I sure as hell am not gonna let you get away with that!”

“Ho-hoh! Feisty, aren’t we? I like that!” Arrogon says with keen interest.

“Then you’re gonna love this!” she responds wittily before she quickly launches herself from the ground and rushes toward her foe.

For her first strike, Rainbow plans to deliver a righteous hoof-punch to Arrogon's overconfident face. However, to her immense surprise, her charge becomes ineffective as a blue shield, which is automatically summoned by Arrogon himself, causes the attack to be turned aside.

A bit startled by the failed attack, Rainbow continued the barrage as she relentlessly keeps on throwing all kinds of lightning-fast, fighting moves against the motionless Arrogon, but just like her first attack, his blue shield keeps blocking of all her incoming attacks. After countless of unsuccessful, quick attacks, the female athlete takes a heavy breather as she glares at her unimpressed opponent.

“You know, as much as I’ve enjoyed the show, I think it’s time for us to take our leave right now.” Arrogon says in mocking boredom.

“Don’t think... I’m done with you just yet!” she responds with a confident smirk as she continues to catch her breath. “Once Princess Twilight finds out about this, you’ll be in serious trouble--!"

“Oh, but that’s the thing, Rainbow! All of your friends are waiting for you right now!”

From hearing that, all of her confidence diminishes as she stammers with wide-eyed skepticism, “Wh-what?”

“That’s right!” he repeats with a nod of his head. “I’ve already gathered all of them one by one! And all that's missing right now is you!”

“You… YOU LIE!” she protests while struggling to hold her tears back.

Arrogon just eyes at the distressed mare before responding with a sly, slimy voice, “Would I?”

Unable to control her anger and grief for long, Rainbow Dash hastily rushes toward her smug foe as she lets out a vengeful war cry. But before she could even try to touch Arrogon, the dark one flashes his explosive eyes, which violently knocked her backwards. As she tries to get back up, Rainbow is constricted in a dark blue aura before she is levitated towards her victorious opponent.

“Your efforts are quite admirable, but futile none of the less.” he comments to the trembling mare. “Just like all of your pathetic friends who would dare pose as a threat towards me. Without each other, your Elements of Harmony are practically worthless trinkets against the superior might of my unfathomable powers!” After Arrogon walks closer to her, he creepily strokes Rainbow’s cheek as he says to her in a sinister tone, “Now you’re all alone… like a rainbow in the dark.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Groaningly, Ford Mustang steadily gets up from the ground after being flung away from such a great distance. While clearing his head from the sudden impact, he instinctively reaches what’s underneath his right wing to see if the engagement bracelet is still intact. Unfortunately, to his horror, he feels nothing at all. The hoof ring he has been planning and cherishing since Hindel gave him that precious Prismatic Diamond is now missing!

As he frantically searches for the ring, Ford turns his head around as his wide-eyed gaze locks in place when he shockingly sees something more horrifying than his missing present: Arrogon has enveloped a floating, frightened Rainbow Dash with his dark aura as he slimily caresses her face with his fore hoof!

Seeing this awful sight before him, Ford begins to feel a surge of unimaginable, irrepressible anger as he unconsciously draws on an unknown, yet familiar source of power within his hardening right hoof. Whether as a human or as a pony, Ford has always found ways to maintain his cool without letting his anger get the best of him. Even in these turn of events, there are some things he could have just look the other way. If someone pushes him around, he won’t let that instigate him into a fight right away. As for making him losing his ring, he knows that there are things more precious in life than material possession. But this… when there is someone who is threatening or mortifying his loved ones, especially his marefriend, Rainbow Dash… this is just simply UNFORGIVABLE!

Without a second thought, Ford launches from his spot at ludicrous speed as he rushes towards the grim offender while he is fueled with righteous fury. As he is close enough to deliver his first strike, his right foreleg springs into action as his lightning-fast punch takes aim at that disgustingly smug face of Arrogon’s.

In that split-second, Arrogon would have ignored that counter-strike since his energy shield would have automatically block that attack. However, something is different this time; something that not even Arrogon would have foreseen after his countless years of formulating his plan. That right hook from this one, normal-looking pony is able to easily penetrate his automatic defensive spell. Once he notices this unexpected circumstance, Arrogon begins to turn his attention to the source of this startling phenomenon. However, it is too late for him to counter back.

POW!

The almighty hoof of Ford Mustang makes a direct hit with Arrogon’s distressed face as the self-proclaimed god feels the full force of the enraged, light blue Pegasus! With time seemingly flowing back to its normal speed, Arrogon is swiftly catapulted across the landscape as his unresponsive body severely tumbles across the floral valley like a broken ragdoll. Despite feeling some satisfaction for giving what’s coming to Arrogon, Ford didn’t keep his furious eyes off him as the villainous foe lies on the ground in the far distance.

While still maintaining the pose after delivering that overwhelming punch, Ford is breathing heavily before he grimly warns the knocked-out Arrogon from afar, “Get your filthy hooves off my marefriend!”

Once he makes sure Arrogon isn’t getting back up, Ford calms himself down before trotting over to shaken Pegasus mare as he expresses great concern for Rainbow’s well being.

“Rainbow Dash! Are you alright? He didn’t hurt you, did he?” he asks as he kneels down while tending to her.

Completely shocked by how her coltfriend was able to hit Arrogon right in the jaw, she starts to compose herself as she contentedly hugs Ford while she speaks in a weak voice, “I’m… I’m fine, Mustang. But… he… took them. He’s captured all of our friends.”

Initially surprised by the awful news, Ford sharply turns his head as he looks at the fallen Arrogon across the field of the once-colorful wildflowers. With renewed determination and brewing rage, he reassures Rainbow Dash by saying, “Not for long he hasn’t!”

Meanwhile, Arrogon gradually gets up from the mound of dirt he was slammed into. He hasn’t felt this kind of stinging sensation in a very long time. Nopony was supposed to be able to harm him once he has captured all three of Equestria’s most powerful deities. He was supposed to be untouchable! Yet somehow, this unknown, normal-looking Pegasus was not only able to penetrate his basic defenses, but he was also able to cause pain to his ultimate perfect form! It shouldn’t bother him that much since he can quickly regenerate his injuries thanks to the absorbed powers of the Equestrian gods, yet Arrogon continues to puzzle on how this strange simpleton was able to hurt him, nor could he forget this first act of humiliation since his recent ascension to godhood.

A bit distracted by the slight amount of pain he was feeling, Arrogon rubs his left cheek with a hoof as Ford Mustang hovers in front of him. Once Arrogon is aware of Ford’s presence, he slowly turns his head to face him with his rubbing hoof still glued to his face.

“You… actually hurt me.” Arrogon states in a mixture of perplexity and surprise.

“And there’s more where that came from if you don’t tell us where our friends are and release them this instant!” Ford threatens furiously as he is ready for another round.

But Arrogon pays no attention to Ford’s threats as his twisted mind is still wrapped on how this unforeseen challenger could have hit him so easily. The fact that he still couldn’t find a proper answer to this mysterious pony is literally driving him mad. Though strangely enough, he didn’t show any form of anger as his dark, blank face still maintains his calm and composed expression.

As Arrogon continues to puzzle on this, he sees something strange on the hovering Pegasus. On Ford’s hindquarter, there isn’t any depiction of a Cutie Mark on there. Basically, it's nothing more than a blank slate.

“A pony without a Cutie Mark? Huh… how interesting.” Arrogon muses to himself.

“And what’s so funny about that?” Ford Mustang growls with narrowed eyes.

“Nothing at all, I assured you. You have my sympathies, pony… for the briefest of moments!”

After he finally breaks out of his moment of puzzlement, Arrogon’s eyes flare up extremely as Ford is quickly pushed away by Arrogon’s telekinesis once again. Only this time, Ford’s recent impact is more brutal than the first one. Despite feeling more pain than before, it didn’t do much to dwell on his anger as he quickly torpedoes toward the more serious Arrogon. Unfortunately, Ford’s charging attack is interrupted as his frozen, levitated body is wrapped tightly in an aura of dark blue magic.

“You may have earned yourself a lucky blow back there, but your luck just ran out!” Arrogon sneers at the struggling Pegasus.

“Then why don’t you quit hiding behind your magic and fight me like a real stallion!” Ford goads with clenched teeth despite his sudden helplessness.

Hmph! You’re in no position to make demands from me, pony.” Arrogon scoffs before he casually looks at one of his armored hooves. “Besides, I rather not dirty my hooves against lowlife filth such as yourself.” To demonstrate his handicap, Arrogon magically slams Ford into the ground really hard as his face is heavily planted into the rough patch of dirt.

“Now why don’t you be a good, little pony, and show some proper respect to your new king and master?” Arrogon insists smugly as he leans a little closer to the injured stallion lying on the ground.

Summoning all of his willpower, Ford steadily looks at Arrogon in the eye as he firmly responds, “The only ponies I will ever bow down to are the Princesses, and you certainly don’t look like one of them!” Strangely enough, a devious smile creeps on his dirty face as he continues by saying, “Unless, you really are a princess, aren’t you? In that case, I apologize. I had no idea you were a princess considering that you have such an unusual figure to say the least. Of course, that would explain why you don’t have any ba--!”

“INSOLENCE!”

Not amused by Ford’s sense of humor even when in the face of danger, Arrogon repeatedly slams the rebellious Mustang into the earth. With each merciless pounding delivered by the villain’s dark magic, the paralyzed Rainbow Dash helplessly watches the ruthless onslaught as she increasingly cringes for each beating Ford receives.

Once Arrogon is close to satisfaction from venting out his demonic anger, he takes a moment to examine his tortured subject. The barely responsive Pegasus has become quite a mess with his tarnished coated-body covered in dirt and a multitude of dark-purplish bruises with a stream of blood trickling from his mouth. Satisfied, Arrogon carelessly tosses the greatly injured Ford Mustang aside like a piece of trash.

“Perhaps your feeble mind can’t comprehend on who you’re dealing with right now!” Arrogon gloats triumphantly as he marches toward the immobile Mustang. “I am Arrogon the Destroyer! I have become the mightiest entity this world will ever know! And you, my hopeless simpleton, are nothing more than a puny, insignificant creature compared to me! What can you possibly hope to accomplish against the presence of an almighty god such as myself?!”

With what little strength he has, Ford steadily lifts his head up so he can face his tormentor once more. As Ford looks at Arrogon dead in the eye, he prepares his throat for a proper response.

SPOOT!

With a well-aimed shot, Ford’s wad of spit makes a direct hit into Arrogon’s left eye. Surprised at first, Arrogon shakes with uncontrollable fury as his left eye sizzles while he glares intensely at the weakly smirking Ford Mustang.

“Does that answer your question?” Ford asks with a witty smile.

SMACK!

Swiftly, Ford is forcefully backslapped by Arrogon’s left fore hoof as he slides harshly across the dirt. While still angry for the further insult he has received, Arrogon pauses momentarily in confusion as he hears the weak chuckling of the troublesome pony.

“Oh, what a shame.” Ford chuckles with an amused, yet painful smile before he turns his head around to get a good look at Arrogon’s reaction. “I force you to soil your own precious, little hooves. Heh, I guess even gods must dirty their hooves sometimes.”

Having all he can take from this defiant pony, Arrogon snaps as he activates his dark magic once again to swiftly pull Ford Mustang closer to him. “Your continued defiance annoys me to no end!” Arrogon growls right in front of Ford’s face. “Just for that, I’m going to end you in a most fitting manner for displaying such disrespect towards your new master: a slow, painful, and merciless death!”

After lifting Ford higher in the air, Arrogon’s magic begins to constrict tightly around him as he feels an overload of sharp, painful sensations. Even when he wants to cry out his pain, he couldn’t because the constricting aura was nearly crushing his windpipe. Eventually, he could feel the dark magic seeping into his body as his ribcage starts to crack within. Soon, Ford can feel the very life literally chocking out of him. And just as when his torture has just begun…

“STOOOOOP!!”

Ford’s excruciating pain comes to a sudden halt as he and Arrogon look down at the source of the protest. And to their surprise, they see a tearful Rainbow Dash on all fours as she grovels beside Arrogon’s left fore hoof. Ford has a terrible feeling of what’s to come, but he couldn’t object to this since his voice is cut off by Arrogon’s dark aura.

“Please stop, Arrogon.” Rainbow begs greatly as she faces up at him with a pitiful, pleading look. “I’ll… I’ll do whatever you ask of me. I’ll even give myself up, just please don’t hurt him anymore! I beg you! Please, just let him go! Please!”

As Rainbow weeps uncontrollably at the mercy of Ford’s tormentor, Arrogon takes a moment to process this before questioning her with puzzling eyes, “You are willing to devote your very own life before me?”

“…Yes.” she replies with quiet hesitation.

“And… you will address me as your master from this day forward?”

“…Y-y-yes… Master.” she stammers as she lightly bows before Arrogon.

Greatly satisfied by Rainbow’s submission, Arrogon casually states his decision, “Sigh… very well. Since today is such a momentous occasion for me…” And with that, Ford is free from the torturous magic before he tumbles hard onto the ground. “…I shall release him.”

“Th-thank you, Master.” Rainbow says with forced gratitude as she bows again before him.

“You are quite welcome, my dear. Now, come along, Rainbow Dash.” he orders kindly as he prepares a magically terrifying, blue portal of fire. “Your friends are all waiting for you.”

As Arrogon waits for Rainbow to enter the fiery portal first, she looks back at the barely conscious Ford before she speaks out loudly, “Wa-wait!” This causes Arrogon to glare angrily at her before she restates her request carefully, “May I say… just one last goodbye to him, Master? Please?”

“Fine.” Arrogon sighs after softening his fierce expression. “But please make it quick.”

Hastily, Rainbow flies to her mildly crippled coltfriend before she softly nuzzles with him to get him to remain conscious with her. Gradually, Ford lifts his head as he tries his best to return Rainbow’s affection.

“Rainbow… please…” Ford weakly begs her while locking his pleading eyes with hers. “Don’t do this to yourself. Please.”

“I’m sorry, Ford.” she responds softly as she lovingly caresses his injured face. “But I can’t allow you to get hurt this way. Please understand that no matter what happens to me, I will always love you, Ford Mustang. Don’t ever forget that for me.”

Lastly, Rainbow shares one final kiss with Ford. In that brief moment of everlasting love, they want to hold on to that for as long as possible. Reluctantly, she pulls away from her lover’s quivering lips as she slowly gets up and unwillingly walks toward the patiently waiting Arrogon.

“Don’t worry.” Arrogon subtly mocks the immobile Mustang. “I’ll take good care of her.” All Ford could do in response is grid his teeth and emit a low, threatening growl despite knowing for a fact that there is nothing he can do at that point.

Satisfied, Arrogon turns around as he begins to lead Rainbow Dash into the terrifying portal. But just as they are about to make their departure, the villainous victor pauses as he chuckles to himself upon forget something, “Oh wait! One last thing…”

With a quick jerk of his head, Arrogon flashes his suddenly vengeful, fiery eyes one last time as Ford Mustang is wrapped in that dark, sinister aura once again. As Ford is lifted in the air once more, Rainbow hastily rushes to his aid, but is immediately halted by Arrogon’s magical aura as well.

“What are you doing?!” Rainbow screeches in outrage as she frantically struggles within her magical entrapment. “You said you will release him if I go with you!”

“I did say that, didn’t I?” Arrogon says sinisterly. “But you didn’t specify on how far I may release him!”

While Rainbow hopelessly resists the sinister magic enwrapped around her, Arrogon directs his cold, murderous eyes towards Ford as he is tightly and painfully bounded by the villain’s levitated aura.

“Goodbye, wretched pony!” Arrogon salutes to his defeated adversary. “You shall be the first and last pathetic creature to ever lay a hoof on me like that again!”

After bidding his final farewells, Arrogon, for the first time since his return, unhinges his black jaw, which reveals sharp, silhouetted, trapjaw-like teeth. Within the maw of the monster, a raging blue fire begins to emerge from the bowels of the endless inferno. Soon enough, that fire starts to take shape in the form of a spiraling fireball. With nowhere else to go, Ford realizes that his fate has been sealed as Arrogon unleashes his raging fireball of doom.

BOOM!

“NO! FORD!” Rainbow Dash cries out loud in heartbreaking horror.

Shot like an explosive cannon, Ford flies off into the far distance, away from his greatly distraught marefriend and the maniacally laughing fiend. Like a fallen meteorite, his scorched body is flung towards the heart of the Everfree Forest. Scorched in fire and dealt with some much agonizing pain, Ford is practically on the verge of death. He could curse out Arrogon’s name, he could call out for his beloved Rainbow Dash, he could try to cry out for any possible help, but that will all be pointless for him. Realizing that there is nothing else left for him to do in what little life he has left in him, he simply closes his eyes, and waited for the end to come swiftly for him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly afterwards, Hindel the All-Seeing Dragon scouts high above the canopies as he aimlessly searches for his fallen friend. Despite his blindness, Hindel continuously relies on the rest of his exceptionally sharp senses for his seemingly hopeless search; therefore giving him a field perspective range far greater than any of his dragonkind. He knew this day would happen, yet he never expected Arrogon to execute it so swiftly.

“No no no!” Hindel panics frantically as he continues his fruitless search. “I was supposed to foresee this! I was supposed to prevent all of this from happening!”

Suddenly, he feels something unusual in the midst of his flight, not the cold, nightly air, but the warm, intoxicating smoke fuming from down below in an opened clearing. But it’s not just the change of temperature Hindel is picking up, his elongated snout picks up a strange scent. The smell not only detects a familiar source of magical fire, but also something burning that smells like a something being roasted… or somepony to be exact.

“NO!” Hindel screams in denial as he swoops down to the source of the fire.

Once he lands on the ground, Hindel verifies his surrounding with his sensitive touch. Picking up the vibrations from each careful step, he determines the area he is on a small, shallow crater where the source of the impact lies in the center. Noticing that there are some lingering flames nearby, Hindel quickly spans his wings and blows them away with a mighty gust.

Moving closer to the center of the crater, Hindel fears on what’s to be expected. Here, in the middle of the impact, lies the fallen and severely broken Ford Mustang. His crushed body is nothing more than a complete disarray of broken limbs, bloody blotches, bruised marks, and most notably, his tattered coat of darkly charred fur. Sensing no sign of life or motion from the lifeless pony, Hindel cringes in horror at his failure to save his unresponsive friend.

“No.” Hindel whispers mournfully as he hangs his head low in immense shame, deep regret, and great sadness.

For Hindel to find Ford dead right in front of him, it really tears his heart. If only his visions would have come clearer and warn him sooner. If only he had a little more time to work with Ford… to prepare him. But now… it’s all too late… for Ford… for Hindel… and soon enough, for the rest of the world. All is lost.

“R-R-Rain…”

“Wh-What?” Hindel stammers in disbelief as he leans forward to carefully listen to the motionless body of Ford Mustang. Using his extraordinary, sharp hearing, Hindel holds his breath in astonishment after he picks up very faint heartbeats from the surprisingly but scarcely alive Pegasus.

“R-Rain… bow…” Ford speaks up weakly in the form of a chapped, hoarse whisper.

“He’s… he’s alive. He’s still alive!” Hindel gasps in joy at this second chance he has been given.

Carefully, Hindel flips the limp pony on his backside as the noble, elder dragon leans his head forward to face Ford’s. “Maybe it’s not too late!” Hindel says to himself. “Maybe there is still a chance to fix all of this! Hold on, Ford Mustang! Just hold on for a little longer for me!”

After he quickly intakes a huge amount of air, Hindel breathes out a warm, brightly golden vapor as it seeps right into the Ford’s mouth. This flow of Draconian Magic spreads throughout his body as Ford is immensely wrapped in that golden aura of familiar warmth. From this warm feeling of comfort and light, he can also feel something changing from within. The broken bones rapidly mend themselves. The cuts, blotches, and bruises enclose themselves up. And his blackened coat retains its healthy, shiny, light blue color. Gradually, his healing body returns to its normal condition, but he is too sore and exhausted to awaken from his miraculous recovery.

After his lifesaving breathing technique begins to die down once he finishes his work, Hindel sighs in great relief before he says softly to the recovering stallion, “Rest now, my friend. For soon, we have much to discuss.”

Author's Note:

Regarding with Arrogon, I often visualize him not using his mouth when it comes to basic talking or expressing his emotions. Mainly, he'll open his mouth when he breathes fire or performs roar-based attacks. I know it sounds strange, but I enjoy on how Arrogon lets his eyes "do the talking" for him.

PreviousChapters Next