• ...
8
 122
 3,024

4th Thought: Dream

I really don't know how she does it. She plays music all the way into the early morning hours, then does the wake up call at eight. A full rest is impossible, what with her stuff blaring in my ears and the spring in my back. Oh ya, I found that little bugger too, right in between my shoulder blades.

All in all, I probably got about four and a half hours in, which means I'm going to pass out at any point during the rest of the day, and I got an orientation in an hour. Ya, that seems like the best time to catch up on sleep.

I'm up now, and there was a fresh pot of the most intense coffee I've ever laid lips on, which I'm thankful for, but it won't do much in the long run. Thanks anyways, Scratch.

Damn... The one thing I forgot to pack was an extra pair of pants. Got the shirts and underwear, but I never bothered with the pants. Meh, that's gonna bug me, but I guess it doesn't matter after this week. Gonna have to deal with the whole "I'm a pony, so I don't have to wear cloths" thing. It kinda irks me when I think about it in detail.

The halls are pretty empty too. As of the call, there's only six humans and maybe two dozen ponies walking out of their rooms in a daze as I can see. They look just as bad as I feel right now.

And the cafeteria hall, there's maybe forty humans all sitting at their own table, surrounded by a vast, rainbow sea of ponies.

Seems that societal norm is dictating me to sit with the others of my kind, but I'm not here to follow the norm, so let's challenge the status quot and sit in an open spot next to some of the little ponies.

Some of them are giving me looks right now, but as far as I care, I'm the tallest one here, and I'm a pretty short guy at five feet, seven inches.

Hey, here comes breakfast, I think. I missed what was on the menu. It's kinda neat how they serve food around here, floating down the tables with help from a couple unicorns. My bowl of oatmeal just dropped right in front of me and breakfast was served.

It's been a while since I had food that wasn't dry cereal, so even a hot mush like this was welcome in my belly.

First one done, by a lot. Probably because I was given a spoon and everyone else had to use their snouts. It looked pretty funny to watch them struggle, but I covered my laugh with my sleeve, making it look like I just burnt my mouth, which I really kinda did.

Now where do I go? I saw there was a lounge a while back, maybe I can sleep a little bit there in peace.

Just sit in a nice, comfy armchair and drift away. So nice...

-=-=-

WOAH! Wow... Weird dream. Like, really weird.

"What kind of dream."

Damn it, inside thoughts!

"Did it have anything to do with you in some sort of other body, prancing through a field of flowers, or anything like that?"

"Umm... ya, kinda."

"Oh, don't worry yourself over those. Those have become increasingly common to humans as of late."

"Could have also have been sleep deprivation mixed with some bad oatmeal."

"Oh, were you one of the human's on Vinyl's floor?"

"She's supposedly my little pony mentor."

"My condolences. I'm Bon Bon. Nice to meet you."

"Kenny Baxter. Same."

"You know, we don't often allow humans to sleep out in the lounge. I was going to wake you, but you just looked too adorable."

"Oookaay?"

"But, truly. It's often best to sleep during the day. Vinyl's been a mentor to many humans, and all of them were forced into being nocturnal."

"Good to know. I'm not a morning person anyways."

"Well, I'll leave you to your napping. I've got to get back to work and help Lyra with the papers. She's behind, again."

"Oh, you're that Bon Bon?"

"I assume so, judging from what you've heard."

"That you and that unicorn at the front desk are a couple?"

"Yes, I'm that Bon Bon. I hope you have a nice day, Kenny."

"You too."

Oh, man, I could have said so much worse there, but mental censorship kicked in so my teeth wouldn't be.

Sleep's impossible now, nothing better to do than walk around the town. I saw a few pegasi a little bit down the street, might wanna watch them fly for a bit. You know, understand the idea of it just in case I become one. I really hope I don't though. I've never been one for heights. I'd like to keep my feet firmly on the ground rather than getting dizzy mid-flight and crashing.

Then again, since I heard that it all comes down to genetics, that could be a very real outcome for me. The Canadian airforce has always been something of a tradition in the family, so air runs thick in my blood. Now that just sounds unhealthy.

-=-=-

They're a rather disappointing lot, aren't they? Most of them look like their brains are going to explode, Scanners-style, from concentrating too hard.

Their teacher's don't seem too thrilled either. Sure, the blue stallion looked like he was trying to teach them well, but the yellow mare looked like she was just barely tolerating them.

I assume learning to fly's pretty hard for a lot of folks, having never had wings before, so I guess I know where they're coming from.

They don't seem to be noticing me, so let's continue walking, shall me?

-=-=-

It feels weird being the tallest person in a bar. Like, REALLY weird. Normally, I'm probably the shortest, and probably the most frail person in the room. Frailest, I probably still am. Shortest, not any more.

Everyone here's a pony, and I mean that. I wouldn't normally think these cutesy things would ever set foot, I mean, hoof, inside such a dingy place. But here they are, living it up like regular people.

"Hey, another human. What can I get for ya?"

"Oh, um. I guess I'll just have some water or orange juice for now. Feeling pretty dry and tired."

"Just sit down, and I'll get you some."

Alright... I'm getting this really weird vibe... Like, someone's staring at me. I know, I get a lot of looks, but this is that sort of "One person's staring at you with intention" sort of feeling...

"Hey Kenny!"

"AH F*beep*!"

"Woah, settle down there, Kenny."

"Oh, it's you, Vinyl Scratch."

"I'd prefer being called DJ P0N3 here."

"Uh, DJ pony?

"Ya, P0N3, with a zero and a three."

"Oh."

"So what brings you into my neck of the woods?"

"Finding a place to relax a little."

"You came to the wrong joint then."

"I figured as much..."