• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 9,147 Views, 557 Comments

I Have Returned - EPiiCx5587



Twilight returnes to Equestria after six years of fighting the Covenant ,but she isn't alone, and doesn't have friendly intentions.

  • ...
122
 557
 9,147

Chapter 1 Tournament Day

I Have Returned
Chapter 1: Tournament day

The light glow of the moon basked over the small city of Canterlot, it was a cloudless night as per usual, but that's the way the goddess of the night, Princess Luna, liked it. She was sitting alone on her private balcony so she could raise the moon. Yet she didn't know how she raised the moon itself. Celestia always told her that she did it subconsciously, and that things such as the balcony and the summer sun festival were just for were just for show. That didn't stop her from wondering though, how does she do it, and why her? Celestia also told her that she created the moon, but she never had any memory of it, or any memories from when she was young. She talked to her sister about it the other day but she was just told that it's just part of her recovery from her time as nightmare moon.

But that's not all that she was thinking about. Tonight was a special night, and not in a good way. It was that night six years ago that she lost a dear friend of hers, Twilight Sparkle.

A year before that Princess Twilight Sparkle Had her crown stolen from her. The culprit escaped through a magic mirror that takes ponies to another dimension. Twilight was quick to go after the robber and returned unharmed with her crown, but while she may have returned, Twilights curiosity of other worlds always drew her back. She always wondered what was on the other side but she never dared going into another world. But one day, one very fateful day she couldn't hold herself back anymore, and she went through the Portal.

As if on cue Celestia walked out onto the platform to join her sister. "I know this is not a very happy night for my dear sister." Said the sun goddess.

"Humph, you can say that again." Luna replied in a sarcastic tone.

Princess Celestia sighed at her remark and opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out because she knew that nothing that she could say would help her little sister. Twilight was more than just a student to Celestia and the same could be said about Luna, she became very close to Twilight because she was one of the first ponies to treat her like a normally and not just as royalty or some kind of boogey mare. Eventually Celestia stopped searching and said "If you need to talk I'll be in my room."

And with that Celestia silently trotted out of her sisters room letting the poor girl be alone in her thoughts. The day Twilight left something different was taken from everypony: some lost a student, some a mentor or leader, many lost a friend, but perhaps the worst was that all of Equestria lost a great defender. Without Twilight the elements of harmony were incomplete and wouldn't work until she returned, if she ever returned.
______________________________________________________________________________
August 28, 2558. Time 0700 hours. Location UNSC Infinity.
On route to Earth.

Commander Jane Arimondo, the woman who was once Twilight Sparkle slept silently in a peaceful bliss surrounded by the warmth of her bed in her personal quarters in the starship Infinity. The past six years hadn't been friendly to her. The sheer amount of death that she had seen while she had been here was substantial and could make anypony go crazy, she wondered how it didn't turn her insane as well but maybe she was already crazy and she wasn't exactly a pony anymore now was she?

It was only a month before she joined up in the UNSC to fight the Covenant. Due to her love of studying and her thirst for knowledge she learned fast and quickly became one of the U.N.S.C.'s most effective soldiers. Because of that she kept ranking up until ONI deemed her worthy of becoming a Spartan IV, and she was one hell of a Spartan. But war changes everyone and Jane was no exception, she was once a sweet an innocent librarian from Ponyville who was obsessed with the magic of friendship. Now she's a cunning and ruthless soldier, but she didn't care, this is her life now, this is who she is, and she isn't going to change that. Still though, aspects of her previous life still made it into her current one, like her love of learning and her strong will, and hell she even named her fireteam "Fireteam Twilight".

One of the perks of being a fireteam leader was having your own room aboard the ship and Jane always used it to her fullest advantage especially now after a ruthless battle on planet Carenal VI against Covenant forces. She couldn't get enough of the soft beads, the warm blankets, the….

"Commander?" She heard a surprise voice ask.

"Ah!" She screamed at the sudden surprise that awoke her. Upon instinct she would normally grab her magnum from under her pillow, but was relieved when she saw that it was only the former ships AI recently assigned to her, Roland.

She sighed at the AI and said in a tired, but annoyed tone "Uuugh What do you want Roland?"

"I came here to talk to you." He said in a caring voice.

Jane laid back into her bed and replied to her companion "So you woke me up to have small talk? Great, just great."

Roland changed his tone of voice to a sterner one. "No commander, you see ever since they paired me up with you I have been researching data up on you so we can work better together."

"Mmhmm."

"I am definitely impressed by the work that you have done ever since you joined the UNSC almost six years ago, but after that I couldn't find any data on you, it's like you never existed until then."

Realizing where Roland was going Jane knew she had to end the conversation or send it elsewhere. She couldn't let him pry into that, she gave up that life long ago, and she wasn't planning on going back. She put on her best fake smile and said "Oh well probably some sort of glitch, it's nothing to worry about. Oh and by the way, people don't like it when you look up stuff about them without letting them know."

"Duelly noted commander."

"You know I missed it when you were more laid back and funny, now you're all serious." She said after finally sitting up. She stretched her arms wide open and let out a tired yawn and looked around the pale room. The UNSC didn't allow much customization for rooms, the most you could put in it was photos of family and friends, and she didn't exactly have those anymore, would they even recognize her if she went back? No, but that didn't matter, that's not who she is anymore, this is her world now. The layout of the room was simple; it was a square room with one bed on one side next to the door and a desk with a computer. It was nothing special, but it worked, and that was all that mattered. "How much longer till we get to earth?"

"Approximately one day, fifteen hours, and 23 minutes."

"Well then why did you wake me now? We could have talked about this tomorrow?"

"Because commander, the war games ricochet finals are today."

"And?"

"Fireteam Crimson is currently in the finals. The game will start in thirty minutes. I thought that you would like to attend considering that Crimson is... your friend."

She flinched at the word friend. Is that what people saw her and Crimson as? She hadn't considered having friends in a long time; ever since she came to this world the concept had been dead to her but she didn't know why. Was it because she didn't miss her friends? Did she not want to let people into her life for fear of them getting hurt? Or maybe it's because she missed her old friends, perhaps more than she knew. No, that couldn't be. Her old friends would think of her as a monster, she didn't need them. "Alright then, let's go. Oh and Roland…"

"Yes commander?"

"From now on, try to be a little more casual."

Hearing this Roland finally put a smile on his face and said. "You got it commander."

"That's the Roland I know, now let's get going." Jane said as she hopped up off her bed and walked out of the room.
______________________________________________________________________________
UNSC Infinity Wargames bridge, 07:20 hours.

Spartans crowded into the war games room in anticipation for the tournament finals between Fireteam Magestic, and Fireteam Crimson. But it wasn't just Spartans there, there were marines ODST's and even some petty officers there to join in on the fun. Due to the constant battles the ship has been in over the past year, Captain Lasky arranged a 10 round tournament for fireteams to compete in to raise troop morale. The prize was that the winners would be all promoted to Spartan Rank one hundred and thirty, and gain access to new armor. Lasky himself was even there to hand out the award, alongside Commander Sarah Palmer. Jane's fireteam entered the tournament, but were knocked out in the second last round against Fireteam Crimson.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Crimson himself probably eager to get into the simulation. He was wearing the usual Spartan jumpsuit that they would wear before putting on their armor, and was running his hand through his long brunette hair. She trudged through the crowds in an almost futile attempt to get to him. Finally she was face to face with who was according to Roland, her friend. She opened her mouth to say hello, but was interrupted by Crimson. "Oh god there you are, I've been looking for you."

She raised an eyebrow at this. "Really why?"

"Private Jessie is recovering from her wounds from the recent battle on Carenal VI. She was fine for most of the tournament, but the docs said that they found fragments of a needler spike in her leg during her recent medical exam, and have to surgically remove it."

"Wait, let me guess, you want me to fill in for her."

"Umm… ya."

"Is this even allowed?" Jane asked, always a stickler for the rules.

"Yes, I checked with the captain, he said it's fine as long as it's a one-time thing."

"That seems kind of strange, normally the captain would never agree to that." Questioned Jane.

"I don't know, I guess he's just trying to be nice to get morale up."

"Isn't that supposed to be the tournaments job?"

"Ya, but I think he's getting desperate at this point, you know how things have been lately."

"I know; the attacks are getting worse. I mean just look at how many attacks we've gotten in the last year: first Venara II, then they destroyed new colony on Reach, and now Carenal VI. We were finally starting to rebuild."

Crimson put his hand her shoulder in an attempt to confront her. "I know Jane, I know, but we need to put that out of our minds for at least for today, alright?"

"Ya sure." She said reluctantly.

"Good, now how about that match, are you in?"

For the first time that day a smirk ran across Jane's pale face, and replied. "Hell ya, let's do this."

"Alright then, let's go."

The two made their way over to the simulation capsules and entered their data into the computer, waiting till it was time to enter the system.

As she already knew the game type was going to be Ricochet, one of the new games that were recently added. The match would consist of two fire teams containing four spartans each, the objective was to take a ball at the middle of the map and either toss the ball into the enemies goal post for twenty points of run it in for fifty points. The first team to hit two hundred points wins.

At last Captain Lasky spoke over the crowd of spartans "Ladies and gentlemen, I know things have been hard lately but today is a day for you guys to enjoy yourselves. Now I know you all are excited for the finals of the Infinity tournament, and I am glad to say that we can finally get on with the match. For the red team we have Fireteam Castle, and for the blue team we have Fireteam Crimson. Sadly private Jessie for Fireteam Crimson is currently undergoing surgery, so from what I see commander Jane Arimondo will be filling in for her today. Spartans we would like you to now enter your simulation capsules so we can start the match.

That was all she needed to open the capsule and get into the game. She stepped into the pod, strapped herself in and a mechanical arm in the pod injected her with the serum in order for her to pass out so the capsule could put her into the system. With a hiss the door closed and she felt herself losing conscience and finally entered, the war games were about to begin.

Author's Note:

I bet a million dollars that I screwed up the Halo lore somewhere in this chapter. Anyways though we all have our beginnings and this is mine. Chances are I'm going to get a lot of hate for this story, but it doesn't matter, I will work on this story and do my very best. See you on the Halo 4 battlegrounds my fellow Spartans, and thanks for reading.