• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 2,986 Views, 197 Comments

The Lone Wanderer's Journey - SteelyThePally



What happens when the Mane 6 are trapped forever in the Capital Wasteland?

  • ...
16
 197
 2,986

A Day Of Discoveries

Another day started on the Capital Wasteland. The sunlight beamed it's heat upon the dead desert that was once the state of Washington D.C, Virginia and many others. A group of seven people slept carelessly, their sleeping bags being easily spotted by any by-passer. Much to their luck, no one seemed to be nearby.

Jason's eyes shot open as he quickly raised his body from the sleeping bag, both hands on his chest. Taking mere seconds to register where he was, The Wanderer calmed down, looking at his Pip-Boy's clock: 6:06 AM.

"I can't even sleep properly... what the fuck is wrong with me?" He whispered, running his hand through his dark brown hair, his heartbeats getting slower.

Stroking Dogmeat's head weakly, he managed to get his companion's attention. The dog opened it's eyes, giving it's owner a warm look. It flexed it's legs shortly, sitting right next to Jason. The Wanderer folded his newly acquired sleeping bag and stored it in the Pip-Boy, leaving green particles flying in the air. With this, Jason turned his body to the Wasteland, giving the surroundings a quick sweep for any threat. Not spotting danger, he leaned back, his eyes wandering to the group of girls who slept quietly. 'So, yeah. I wasn't hallucinating.'

Taking a long breath, Jason stopped moving and concentrated on hearing. Closing his eyes for concentration, he heard a low shuffling sound coming from the group of girls. Turning his head, he saw that one of the sleeping bags were moving. Withing seconds, the slender figure of the girl whose name was Twilight emerged, her hair a complete mess.

"Good morning..." Jason took a pause to remember her name "...Twilight. Did you sleep well?"

Twilight's sleepy eyes apparently lost their tiredness as she heard her name, getting slightly startled. She calmed herself down at the sight of Jason, and stood up. Much to The Wanderer's surprise, she took a seat, near him, replying to his greeting:

"Good morning, Jason. I slept well, even though this isn't an actual bed. But it was enough. Thank you for taking care of us!" She beamed a warm smile upon him, barely changing his thoughtful expression.

"Well, that's good. I can't even sleep properly. At least I got some..." He left his words hanging, his eyes staring sorrowfully at the horizon as memories of his father raced through his head. He might have showed it too much, Twilight giving him a timid poke on his shoulder:

"Is something... wrong?"

"Yes. Let me tell you my story. You told me yours after all. But firstly, the history of how the hell we are sitting here in a lifeless piece of nothing." He cleared his throat, losing his saddened mood and assuming a more serious one. Twilight herself didn't notice his sudden change of expression, her mind focused on the knowledge that he was going to give her.

"200 years ago or so, this world was being ravaged by a war: The Resources War. Most of Earth's nations carelessly used it's natural resources to the point of global warning. Well, instead of uniting themselves and trying to make a better plan, they decided to wage war against each other. The biggest ones were the United States Of America, The Soviet Union, and China. As the war went on, China decided to invade the USA through Alaska. The USA won the battle, and began to march into chinese territory. Of course, China had their plans. While the USA marched deeper within their soil, they launched nuclear warheads all over the world, plunging the world in nuclear darkness." Twilight's thoughts were wandering. Celestia was really right about humanity.

Twilight opened her mouth to ask him how he was there if his world was completely destroyed. Jason read her expression before she could ask, silencing her effectively.

"I'm here because the USA's government created some underground shelters called the vaults, built by a company called Vault-Tec. Or because people took shelter on metro stations and other protected places. After the Vault's life support depleted, they opened their doors to the outside, and most of them created settlements. Now, my story. Me and my father happened to live at Vault 101. 19 years of complete calmness and mostly no trouble. Well, until he decided to disappear. I escaped the Vault, and here I am, after travelling to some settlements and metro systems."

Jason finished his speech with a long, sorrowful sigh. The image of his father was shown inside his head, his eyes watering slightly at his lost, dearest parent.

Twilight, however, didn't notice his sudden change of humor, and took advantage over the thoughtful Wanderer to examine him: Short cuts through his armored jumpsuit revealed hints of his skin, the jumpsuit itself was nearly skin-tight, slightly showing his bodily features. 'He looks pretty strong...' Twilight thought, briefly removing her eyes from Jason's arms, and looking over this his equipment: kneecaps made out of leather, a shoulder blade on the left side, a belt running down his torso, metal boots, finger-less gloves, a knife resting on his belt and a large wooden object that appeared to be held together by duct tape and thin steel cables. He looked like a hunter, for her.

The duo turned their heads towards the rest of the group, who appeared to wake up from their peaceful slumber. Jason, noticing this, stood up, resting his hands at his waist. One by one, the girls stood still, staring at the slightly armored wanderer like if he was about to give a speech. 'They look awful, except for that Rainbow one and Pinkie.'

"Okay, I don't really know why I'm doing this, but I'm taking you people with me during my journey till I find a settlement willing to receive new people. That's highly improbable, so, I fear that you girls will be stuck with me. But don't worry, I won't let you down." Looks of confusion crept on their faces. They came to a totally different dimension, met a stranger, and now were about to follow him to Celestia knows where.

"Can't you drop us back at Equestria? It sucks to be stuck on the ground, human." Rainbow folded her arms and beamed a slightly annoyed look upon Jason, who remained with his typical serious expression.

"Rainbow girl, your Twilight friend here told me that you came here with magic. So, it's obvious that you will need magic to go back. Problem it is, there's no magic here. I'm sorry. I wish I could be of more use. Now, let's go before the Sun gives you sunburns."

Twilight fought the urge to panic and ask him about the 'no magic' thing. However, she told herself that everything would be okay, and that she and her friends were in good hooves. Still, a hint of fear remained inside her.

At his signal, the group started walking reluctantly. Following a complete stranger in his journey isn't something that you do everyday. And this only made Rainbow Dash more suspicious. Jason's steps were way more wider than theirs, forcing the girls to half-walk, half-jog to keep up with him. They all looked around: dead trees, burnt houses, collapsed bridges, rocks and sand were the only things that they could see. Fatigue hit them before they could achieve 10 minutes of walk, except for Dogmeat, Jason and Rainbow, who showed no signs of tiredness, the later starting to feel the effects of the Wasteland's strong morning Sun.

Rainbow Dash ran briefly to Jason, looking up at him with disbelief:

"So, what do you do here?"

"Nothing. I search for my father. Other than that, I loot, repair, hack, and sometimes help people in need." The Wanderer's gaze glued on the seemingly endless desert, not even shifting his stare to the girl at his side.

"And how can I know that you won't stab us on the back when you get the chance? You have a knife and this awkward thing on your back. And you better not try that. I'll beat the Tartarus out of your sorry flank." She assumed a fighting position, receiving a chuckle from Jason as response.

"Please, Rainbow girl. I don't like to boast, but I could easily take you all down. Be it with my fists, be it with the knife." He raised his knife from the sheath, enough to make them all freeze in place. "Hey, I'm just kidding. But don't try anything funny. This place ain't a playground, and I trust nobody."

This killed Rainbow's ego for sometime, but after mere 3 minutes of suffocating silence. she summoned the courage to talk to him:

"Seriously, I don't trust you, Jason."

"Nor do I." He replied, cracking his knuckles, loud pops surrounding the air of tension. "Why, you want proof that I won't kill you when I get the chance?" She nodded frantically, Applejack slowly nearing her from behind, ready to take her friend from whatever he planned to do. "You asked for it."

With this, The Wanderer took the knife from the sheath, and with a swift movement, he opened a large cut across his palm, blood drips falling as he closed his hand. They all gasped at the sight, while his only response was a quiet groan of pain. Jason then removed some bandages from his Pip-Boy, and enveloped his bleeding hand with it, the white fabric turning into a darker shade of crimson.

"Is there any doubt now?" The girls nodded negatively at him, who frowned his eyebrows to withstand the pain. "Good."

"This is some kind of Pinkie Promise?" Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared by his side. Jason's heart skipped a beat at her sudden appearance. Without any response, Pinkie made gestures with her arms that resembled a 'x', flapping nonexistent wings and finalized with a fist on her closed eye. Jason only leaned himself back at her 'promise' while enveloping his bleeding hand with bandages made out of his own clothing, and continued walking quietly.

Hours passed as they kept their venture into the uncertain destination, thoughts of confusion clouding the group's minds. Except for Pinkie, who was bouncing by The Wanderer's side, asking him random things like 'Do you prefer cupcakes or muffins' and other random things that were testing his weakening sanity. And the nearly-insane questioning ended up as he raised his finger, signaling them to stop. His eyes glued on the menacing raider outpost, standing triumphantly over a small hill. 'I can take them on.'

"Hey, could you people... wait a little bit here? Me and Dogmeat will take care of a small... problem up ahead. Take a rest, and keep your eyes peeled. We will be back in no time." He took his rusty but trusty hunting rifle from his back, cocking it with a swift movement from the bolt. Dogmeat joined him, his relaxed expression changing to one of complete awareness.

"If there's any problem, I'll be glad to help ya, partner." Applejack rested her hand on Jason's shoulder, keeping him from jumping into action.

"Nah, thanks for the offer. You're unarmed, and you need some rest. We've been walking for nearly two hours. Now, stay here." The Wanderer smiled warmly at her, before trailing off to his encounter with raiders.

The group of girls sat on the hot sand, taking long breaths due to their exhaustion. Only Rainbow kept herself from resting.:

"He's up to something..."


Jason and Dogmeat sneaked their way up the hill, incredibly not being caught by the scout that searched the surroundings with a sniper rifle. 'What a scout.'

Coming to a stop, The Wanderer laid his eyes behind the rifle's iron sights, precisely putting them over the unaware raider's head. His finger ran from the gun's nose the it's trigger, and with a soft and gentle press, it released it's content, the recoil making Jason stagger a bit back.

The raider was thrown on his back, brain matter and blood flying behind his mildly severed face, a loud 'thud', accompanied by gasps and shouts of surprise. "What the fuck?!?"

"I'm right here, you fuckers! Come on get it!!!!" Jason shouted frantically as he made his way to the outpost's gates, bullets wheezing past him, a particular one ripping part of his arm's clothing. Dogmeat followed him suit, allowing more and more bullets to lift sand from the ground. The dog's movements were too quick for them, though.

"It's 101! Kill this fatherless motherfucker!" One of the raiders yelled back, correctly guessing his attacker's identity because of the blur of bright blue and yellow followed by a mildly violent dog. His taunt only fueled Jason's anger, who shot one of his friend's chest with precision.

Jason performed the bolt-action to release the cap from the rifle's innards, and nodded towards the outpost's west, Dogmeat accepting his offer and running to flank the raiders. A smirk appeared on The Wanderer's face as a agonized shout rang on his ears, followed by the visceral sound of guts being ripped and a certain crimson blood being poured. He got out of his cover for a moment, just in time to witness a raider coming from the outpost inner areas, wielding a powerful combat shotgun.

"You damned dog! I'll make you burn in hell!" He kicked Dogmeat in the stomach, sending it airborne for mere seconds before landing hard on the makeshift floor. The raider aimed his weapon at the stunned, ready to take his life.

Before the psycho could press the finger and kill Jason's only friend, a shot coming from the later's weapon ripped his arm off, blood painting Dogmeat's grey fur. He yelled in pain as his eye met with The Wanderer's brown irises, a furious glare penetrating his dreaded soul, and he whined in pay briefly as a blade carved it's way through his chest and into his heart, a defeated sigh leaving his dry lips after he exchanged a look of pity at Jason.

"So, they do have hearts..." Jason stated to himself while closing his opponent's eye with his slender fingers. He then moved to Dogmeat, who laid on his back, a rather confused gaze stamped on his eyes. The Wanderer lent a hand to help him, easily putting him back on it's paws. The dog panted normally after, taking side-way glances in search for remaining enemies.

"We're good. Let's just loot everything and regroup with the girls..." His voice faded away as he heard heavy steps coming from behind him. Jason turned on his heels, just in time to partially hit a killing blow from a survivor armed with a knife. The dodge kept him from dying, but not from being stabbed on his unprotected shoulder. The weapon cut through his flesh, stopping upon contact with his bone, the knife being coated in his vital fluids.

Jason's world turned grey the moment he fell, screaming in overwhelming pain, adding to his enormous loss of air he suffered after slamming his back against the sand. Dogmeat jumped furiously on his attacker's neck, brutally feasting on it before turning it's bloodied muzzle to his owner. The Wanderer concentrated in clearing his vision, seeing only blurs and shaded pictures. He shook his head repeatedly, spotting a stimpak sitting on top of a table nearby.

He crawled towards it with difficulty, the knife tilting slightly inside him. He groaned loudly, getting minimal help from his dog, who ineffectively bit his jumpsuit's arm and dragged it towards the healing miracle.

No sound was made aside from a certain wanderer's whines and cries of pain. Until a group of peculiar women appeared at the gate. They all gasped in unison, diverting their eyes from the skirmish before them. Jason felt their presence, and gathered all of his strength to scream:

"P-please... d-don't ask, I-I'm dying h-here..." He lifted his arm briefly, enough to catch their attention.

Applejack was the first to run and crouch before him, beaming a worried look over his fresh wound. The rest of the girls stared horrified at the wounded adventurer, who began coughing violently.

"O-over that... t-table, take t-the syringe..." He stuttered, blood flooding his mouth. A harsh cough was enough to spill the aforementioned liquid over the skin-melting sand. Applejack's and the girl's eyes grew wide at the sight, but Jason paid no attention to that. Applejack then quickly stood up and grabbed the stimpak, returning to The Wanderer's laid figure in a blink of an eye.

"R-remove the k-knife from my..." He groaned in pain, trying to remove the knife from his open shoulder. His arm retreated, lifting a handful of sand to withstand the pain. "D-DO IT!"

Applejack shivered terribly as her hand reluctantly grabbed the handle, and she slowly removed the sharp weapon from his shoulder. A cruel sound came from his innards as it cut through a few more veins and arteries, a bigger quantity of blood coming down his sky-blue jumpsuit. He shouted loudly, his eyes watering from the large wound. Finally, the knife was removed, leaving a cut deep enough to let any on-seer see Jason's shoulder bones.

"N-now, inject..." He grabbed her arm firmly, placing the stimpak's edge over his wound, and with a heavy movement, he stabbed himself on the region near to the wound. Everyone's eyes widened as the injury closed, leaving nothing than a barely seen scar. When the gap in his shoulder closed, The Wanderer groaned loudly, retreating to the nearest wall, resting his back on it.

"Are... you alright?" The voice coming from Twilight's shaking body asked, while Jason's head was left hanging, both eyes fixated on the ground.

"Now... I am. Thank you, Applejack. That was fucking intense." He breathed heavily, his gloved right hand tugging his chest slightly.

After a few seconds of silence and worried looks, Jason stood up, surprised to see that even Rainbow Dash looked scared from the small massacre.

"I guess... that I owe you girls some explanations?" They were too terrified to respond, a single nod coming from Pinkie's head, her hair strangely flattened.

"These guys here are raiders." He pointed to the bloodied bodies of his foes, one of them having it's left arm brutally removed. "Don't come here and say something like 'Ah, you're a monster!' They deserved this. They rape, drug, kill and torture. Oh, and they leave their victims corpses in pikes, hanging from walls and ceilings. Lovely fellas."

"B-but, why did you... killed them?" Twilight managed to say a few words, her eyes locked on the putrefying corpse of an unfortunate wastelander, nothing but flies and decayed remains of his flesh remaining in his skeleton. The rest of her friends were still trying to comprehend how such a nice and relaxed person could easily take the live of another po.. person, and still comment on their atrocities like if they were everyday activities.

"They deserved it. Look, I don't want to start rivalries or problems here. You guys came from ponyland, peace and happiness flourishing. Here, huh. 'Survival of the fittest' is the main law. This is no friendly environment. That's why you're with me now. If a slaver found you people before me..." He lifted his hand while his head fell, trying to remove the torturing thoughts of such innocent people being sold as slaves, both laborers and... ugh... sexual.

"You're a... killer, darling. But you sounded so..." Rarity couldn't complete her phrase, Jason's firm stare penetrating her blue eyes.

"Hey. I kill. Does that make me bad? If you walk with me, you will end up killing too. Rarity, dear. I'm no monster. But if you think so, I've got my own business, and you guys can try to carry on with a peaceful life around here." He threatened to leave the area, but was quickly halted by two clothed arms, coming from Twilight Sparkle.

"No! We need you. I'm just... confused." She lowered her head, taking a long breath.

"So, I think that it's best for us to leave here, and pretend that this never happened. The last thing I want to happen is having you people wandering aimlessly around here."

They were left without choice. Of course, their minds were screaming to them to ask this nice, yet killing, individual who stood calmly at the outpost's gate, alongside a dog who is faithful to his owner.

Without a word being said, they trailed off. Jason's steps were of confidence and courage. The girl's steps were of fear, and even submission. It all happened too fast to them. From the calm and peaceful land of Equestria, to the dead and dangerous post-apocalyptic Earth. Applejack, determined to follow the stranger's way of thinking and coping him, neared the seemingly careless wanderer, and nudged him to get his attention:

"You have my trust, partner."

Author's Note:

Second chapter of the rewrite. Let's see how bad I made it.

Leave a comment, will ya?

SteelxPaladin