• Published 25th Oct 2013
  • 1,742 Views, 31 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: The Last Week - Cloudhammer



Seven days. Seven lives, each of which had a part to play in the end of the world. But through their efforts, the earth has a chance for a new beginning

  • ...
29
 31
 1,742

3 - Curtis Miller

February 23rd, 2053
Four Days Before Rejection

The overhead light buzzed quietly, throwing shadows over the two combatants below. Curtis frowned quietly as he weighed his options, trying to account for the moves his opponent might make. His chair squealed on the concrete floor as he shifted, the chains running from his wrist cuffs to their floor brackets clinking.

“Are you trying to bore me to death?” She asked, a sly grin on her face. “That would be a new strategy indeed, Curtis, though I suspect I’d win by heat death.”

“Shut up, I’m thinking,” Curtis replied with a scowl, though the corner of his mouth turned up slightly. “I’m going to beat you this time.”

“I’ve heard that before,” Luna fired back as she shifted, her feline smirk only growing. “Today’s game marks what, fifty? Sixty times I’ve won? Most would have given in to the inevitable. Even my sister would be considering surrender.”

Curtis tuned her out and finally made a decision. He leaned forward, eyes narrowed as he reached out and took hold of one of the plastic pieces. He moved it forward, knocking its opponent aside. “Pawn captures F4.”

Luna swooned dramatically, an almost invisible tinge of azure magic scooping her fallen pawn up. “Alas, poor Midnight. He had a family of five foals. The house of Shadow is forever weakened by his demise!”

Curtis rolled his eyes. “I thought you said F4 was seized by the mighty and ruggedly handsome General Exemplar?”

“For shame, Curtis,” Luna proclaimed. “General Exemplar is no less than a bishop, properly placed beside his queen, ever ready to serve.”

“Isn’t he married?” Curtis asked idly, trying to mask a grin of his own.

“A mere trifle,” Luna shot back with a huff. “A mare can dream, can’t she? And it’s no crime to window shop, as they say.”

“I’m sure his wife might disagree.” Curtis leaned back. “Your move, Princess.”

Luna tilted her head to the side, pondering her choices. “So how have you been, Curtis?”

“Well, y’know, pretty much the same as last week. Same off-white walls, same daily routine. The guards at least change on occasion. Typical prison. Kind of miss TV. How are things outside?”

“The usual. End of the world as we know it around the corner, my sister is assembling the largest conclave of unicorns in history to help ease Rejection, the occasional riot.” Luna leaned back. “Honestly, television gets somewhat repetitive. I dread the day it becomes widespread in Equestria.”

“It’s still not?” Curtis asked.

The two prison guards shared a mutual sigh of boredom. Even if the princess’ monthly visit served to break up the monotony of their jobs, they at least expected some heat to come out of the founder and former leader of the HLF. Especially when faced with one of the rulers of the nation he’d spent years opposing.

Luna’s ear flicked. “If you’d be so kind, might you give us the room?”

The two guards hesitated, their instincts to obey the implicit command warring with their sense of duty. The senior guard coughed weakly. “We understand you trust the prisoner, Princess, but there are rules, regulations. The warden needs to be informed before we can ju—

Luna held up a hoof. “I assure you, there will be no problem with your Warden. Curtis shall as always be a proper gentleman and a sore loser.” She smiled sympathetically. “I’ll make sure that the warden is aware of your dedication to duty before I leave. And if he ignores it and decides to relieve you anyway, I am sure such dedicated stallions could find work in any number of vocations.” Her grin turned playful and her tone conspiratorial. “I hear the Equestrian Security Forces are always hiring.”

The pair couldn’t help but roll their eyes at Luna’s remark, but they turned to leave regardless. The senior guard checked Curtis’ handcuffs, and snorted in satisfaction. “Now you remember your manners, Curtis.” He said, voice stern. “I don’t want to have to take your books away again.”

Curtis remained silent, and the two guards left the room. The door swung shut behind them with a heavy clang, and Luna visibly relaxed. “I swear, were they always so stiff-legged? I seem to remember them being much more relaxed my last visit.”

“Well, I suppose having the entire world holding its breath in anticipation of Rejection would stress anyone out,” Curtis said as he leaned back. “In any case, are you going to make your move? F4’s not going to retake itself.”

Luna chuckled. “Oh, F4 shall be mine eventually. But first, I think we need to loosen things up.” Her horn lit again, a thin skein of azure magic enveloping Curtis’ cuffs, and with a clatter of metal they fell to the floor. “There, much better.”

“I really wish you wouldn’t do that,” Curtis grumbled. “Those handcuffs are there for a reason.”

“I understand, except that reason is a load of… well, you know the euphemism.” Luna contemplated her next move, carefully levitating one of her knights. “Knight to D5.”

“A decent move, though you won’t avenge What’s-His-Face.” Curtis scratched his neck as he weighed his options again.

Luna watched him, ear flicking idly. “So why haven’t you Converted, Curtis?”

Despite the question coming out of left field, Curtis didn’t flinch and moved another pawn forward. “Are you seriously asking me that again?”

“I am. There are enough options in Conversion now to allow even you satisfaction in the choices. You could even keep your thumbs,” she joked, though Curtis’ glare put an end to the humor.

“It was never about that, and I know you know it.” He stared at the board as another of her pieces moved. “I… I still can’t support giving myself up.”

Luna tilted her head. “We had that discussion a year ago. There’s nothing of yourself that you are giving up. Even taking into account the infinitesimal period where your essence undergoes the Conversion, you remain yourself. There are literally millions of results to stand as proof.”

“Would you do it?” Curtis toyed with one of his lost pieces. “If our positions were reversed, would you undergo something like this?”

“I would.” The corner of Luna’s mouth twitched. “I already have, as you well know.”

“Then you understand where my hesitation comes from, Princess. No matter how you cut it, change on that scale is never without sacrifice of something. And that’s where I draw the line.”

Luna nodded. “I apologize for bringing such heavy conversation into our friendly game.” She moved a bishop into place, consolidating a defensive position for her king.

“No, it’s okay.” Curtis narrowed his eyes as he reexamined the board. It was still early to tell, but he was starting to see a pattern to Luna’s strategy. He moved another pawn forward, freeing up a spot for his knight.

“In spite of everything you’ve done, Curtis, I still consider you a friend, and a good man. Flawed, certainly, and bearing more than a few sins, but good at heart.” Luna tilted her head before moving another piece.

Curtis had to fight not to show his growing excitement. Luna seemed to be slipping, or at least giving the appearance of it. He couldn’t afford to get too aggressive, so for the time being settled on continuing to trade pieces.

As the game continued, they became more and more focussed, leaning forward with each attack and back with each retreat, constantly sizing up the other for any sign of weakness. Sweat dripped from Curtis’s face, Luna’s mane roiled faster, and both players seemed hesitant to even breathe for the risk of breaking their concentration.

Finally, Curtis saw his window. One of his knights had a perfect move to spring right into the teeth of her defense. It was a risky move, but none of her pieces could move in time to prevent it from claiming checkmate. He lifted the piece and set it into position, barely keeping the grin from his face as he released it.

“Checkmate.”

Luna snorted as she looked the board over, eyes darting as she sought a way out. “Curtis, it’s far too early in our game to call check… mate…” She frowned, hesitantly lifting first one of her knights, then a bishop, and finally her queen. “No… it’s not possible…”

“Oh yes it is,” Curtis rose from his seat, grinning as he stretched his back. “Might’ve taken me a few years, but I finally beat you!” He turned, walking to the far wall to ease his sore legs. “I gotta admit, I didn’t think it’d work, but you gave me a window with my knight, so I took it.”

“You really did it,” Luna said quietly, her horn glowing as she lowered her king to its side. The board began to smolder as her magic flowed across it.

“Well, it did take me a couple hundred games to pull off, so don’t feel too bad.” Curtis stopped as acrid smoke stung his nose. “What the heck is smoking?” He turned around and felt the bottom drop out of his stomach.

The chess board was ablaze, tiny fires burning across its surface. But even more surprising, the face of the board had changed, squares replaced by what he realized was a map of the world. Looking closer, he could see many of the fires were sited on major cities, while others burned in random places. South America was the largest scar, with the entire northern half charred black. “Luna, what the hell are you doing?” He looked up, and was suddenly glad he’d used the restroom before her visit.

Empty white eyes stared back as Luna rose to her hooves, her mane whipping faster. “Showing you what you need to see, Curtis.” She gestured at the board. “You of all people should know, now if not already, the difference that one piece on the field can make. Especially those that don’t always move in straight lines.”

“I don’t understand, but you can’t be doing this! Guards, guards!” he shouted, running for the door and pounding on it.

“They can’t hear you, Curtis.” Luna’s voice was cold, her eyes glowing brighter as the smoke started to spread. “A darkness is coming, one that will not stop for anything. It cannot be bargained with, cannot be appeased or sated. It can only be resisted, and only if every piece is in play.”

“And is that what you think I am, just a piece for you to use?” Curtis turned to face her. “If this is some kind of trick, I am genuinely disappointed in you.”

“I told you earlier that you are a good man. Flawed, but good. And capable of moving in ways others cannot or will not. Such a man can have an impact far beyond himself, as you so aptly demonstrated.” Luna closed her eyes, the board abruptly back to normal, and her mane resumed its normal fluttering.

“So what the hell is the point of these theatrics?” Curtis stayed by the door, ready to try and open it.

“As I said, there are dark times coming. My sister hopes that peace will prevail, but my dreams tell me otherwise. You have already seen a small example of it, nearly seventeen years ago.”

Curtis thought for a few minutes, and his eyes widened. “Kinshasa… but there was never any trace of them since…”

“And they have kept themselves hidden well, biding their time. But make no mistake, Curtis, their time is coming.” Luna seemed for a second to waver, lines and wrinkles appearing on her face before it resumed its youthful appearance. “I hold to my promise not to force anyone to decide, but I would ask you as your friend, do not let yourself be blind to beyond today.” She carefully repacked the chess set, then walked toward him. “My time is up for this visit, Curtis.”

Curtis dumbly moved aside so she could leave. “Just what do you expect from me?”

She smiled faintly. “To do what you always have. What you think is right.”

With a start, Curtis woke up.