• Published 29th Oct 2013
  • 720 Views, 50 Comments

The New Talent - Vinyl Mfing Scratch



Vinyl finds the new talent she needs. But is falling in love with him a good idea?

  • ...
6
 50
 720

Prologue

Prologue

The night was cool, dark, and strangely still. The stars shone brightly, and the moon cast an everlong glow along the landscape. The view of the royal city was magnificent. It could even be described as ethereal. The only problem was, this wasn't the place of which the new pony had appeared. The place of which this... "Interesting" pony emerged from.The particular place this stallion emerged was much, much smaller, and considerably more humble than Canterlot. The place this extraordinary stallion came from was, in fact, the quant town of Ponyville.



Vinyl had spent the whole day with the talent scouts, searching in every nook and cranny for some new tallent. It was taking an unbelievable amount of time to find someone who was at least adaquete at music. Someone that had some musical talent.

"Come on Vinyl, we're off to the next area." Vinyl sighed and nodded to this particular scout.

"Alright, I'm coming. Just lemme' finish my drink." She took a large swig from her glass, finishing off the alcohol.

"Isn't it a bit early to be drinking anyway?".

"How 'bout you sit around town all day looking through terrible singers Truff'."

Scowling, he responded "Didn't I ask you not to call me that?".

"I guess you would rather have me use your full name then, Truffles.", Vinyl said teasingly with a not-so-well hidden smirk. A few chuckles were heard after some heads turned to find the one with the hilarious name 'Truffles'.

"As if enough people haven't heard that.. I really need to get it changed" He complained.

"Oh come on, it isn't that bad. Besides, your parents did expect you to be a girl." Vinyl said this with a certain teasing tone that made Truffles chuckle.

"Yeah, I suppose you're right. Now come on, we gotta get out of here if we're going to meet the studio's deadline." Their studio manager had told them that they needed to recruit some new talent because apparently, their show was becoming boring, along with the rest of Vinyl's music. She had acted as if it didn't bother her in the slightest, but it did actually make her somewhat aggrivated. Being told her music was boring wasn't something she took lightly. She'd actually broken her favorite record because she was so upset with her Manager. This had set them on a journey to find some new, amazing pony in ponyville that could appease her Manager.

They made their way out of the bar after making sure there wasn't any ponies they hadn't neglected to find somebody who actually did have talent. She began to walk the streets of ponyville with Truffles for about an hour until they heard the faint sound of hoof clacking. It happened to be somepony making themselves a freestyle sounding beat. They made their way to investigate and to their surpise, it was a blue unicorn sporting similar sun-glasses to Vinyl's, except they were a dark blue, similar to his coat. His coat was one shade of a semi-dark blue, with a white spot on his muzzle that faded into the rest of his color. His mane was what caught Vinyl's attention. It was almost as if it was a reversed style to hers, but it's color's were inverted. She wasn't sure if he was a fan of hers, or it was just two minds thinking alike. Truffles pulled her out of her trance by clearing his throat.

"What is it Truff?" She asked.

"This guy's a poser. I've seen him sit here for hours at a time just hoof-beating. Never once heard him sing, rap, or even beat-box. Nothing." This granted him a distorted look from Vinyl.

"He doesn't look like that kind of pony. I'm gonna go over and listen for a bit, see if he doesn't spit something out."

"But Vinyl he's-" Cutting him off by placing a hoof over his mouth.

"Chill out dude, with all the posers we've seen today what can taking a look at this stallion hurt?" She asked, while giving him a completely nonshalaunt look.

"I.. Fine. Lets make this quick."

'This stallion knows how to hoof-beat' Vinyl thought to herself. 'And he's not too shabby looking either..' Shaking her head to clear those thoughts, she continued to watch the mysterious stallion while approaching.

"I'll wait here, you can go do whatever you want with him over there." Truffles said this with a tinge of bitterness and a quite unpleased look on his face.

"Okay man, I'd rather check him out myself anyway."

'I wouldn't mind being able to throw in a few comments about those looks of his..' She began to walk up to him, and he gave her a look of pure curiosity, although she couldn't tell because of his sun-glasses. When he actually turned her head to face her the only reply she gave was a nod to him and a hoof gesture telling him to continue what he was doing. So he did. While continuing his little hoof-beat session, Vinyl time to admire his looks up close.

His coat was clean, smooth, and (She assumed) it was soft. From a distance she hadn't noticed that his fur didn't reach all the way over his hooves, but it wasn't straight cut. It looked not to grow past that point. Vinyl's eyese drifted to his face inspecting each element of it carefully. He had a slight downward curvature to his mouth, but she assumed it wasn't a frown, but just him concentrating, something she often did when she practiced her hoof-beating to help with a beat for a new song. She noticed that he had a quite sharp point on his horn.

'It must take some serious work to keep that thing in perfect condition. Not even mine comes to a point like that.' She thought to herself, while also making a mental note to ask him about it later. His muzzle was something she hadn't expected.

'The way he was built you would think he would have a smoothed-around muzzle.' This was because of the fact that his body flowed so well with it, that it was just sort of abrubt to see an almost straight muzzle.

'The more I look at it the more attractive he gets.' During this deep inspection of hers, she hadn't realized that he had spead up his hoof-beating and looked to be preparing to start a freestyle.

'This should be good.' She thought.

As he started she began to get an emotional sense of being. "Yo.. Lets do this.
The way things seem in this life,
Nobody has strife,
Nearly as often as they used to.
Nobody wants the magic of music,
Just the magic of friendship,
My career isn't going to kick off.
When I begin to froth
At the mouth,
These ponies will know
To back off.
And I won't have to listen to them scoff,
All over my freestyle's
Personal space.
But I never let it bother me,
Never go too crazy,
I just act like you should be,
Civil as can be.
Like a city of bee's.
You see me,
Came to listen to me too,
I don't have a crew,
Nor do I need one.
I'm just in this for the fun,
Of seeing these ponies smile,
Mares and Stallions
All in a pile,
Of Where they all struggle to get to the top,
And when they fall stumble and flop
They act surprised,
Like they never expected it.
So I just go around and get,
Away from it.
I think I'm done for now,
Just had to show you how I plow,
These lyrics.
I'll let you go now,
Because you haven't looked away from me for this whole thing.
And now we're done."

After he stopped putting out lyrics for Vinyl to hear, he slowly put down the beat, gradually making it lighter and lighter until it just faded out. Vinyl just stared at this mystery stallion. She couldn't believe he was this good. Or at least, she thought he was.

"That was pretty good." She said, trying not to show how impressed she was.

"Thanks." Was all he said. He had a soft rumble to his voice when he wasn't rapping. Vinyl found it quite attractive, and wished to hear more of it.

'I should slow this down, I don't wanna be all over him. I don't even know him.'

"So, What's your name?" Vinyl asked curiously.

"I'm assuming you want my real name?"

"Well yeah! That's the idea man." Vinyl said this with a small smirk on her face, thinking he would take it as a joke, but was surprised when he didn't show even the slightest hint of emotion.

"I would really rather not. I don't know you well enough for that." To this, Vinyl had no words. She just stared at him, attempting to see his eyes through his sun-glasses. After a few moments of this silence Vinyl finally brought up the will to ignore what he said, and ask him

"So what should I call you?". It took him a moment to respond. He seemed to be thinking of what he wanted to be called if it wasn't to be his actaual name.

"Well, I suppose you could call me Dj ShoutOut." Vinyl pondered this for a moment, mulling over the made up name she was to use to identify this ('Quite Fine') stallion. She decided that it would do for now, until she could pry his real name from the the depths of his mind.

Little did she know, that would be harder than she expected.

Author's Note:

This is my first story and is going to go on as long as I can push out more material for it. I would love to hear some constructive criticism, don't just come outright and say it's terrible. Thanks.