• Published 25th Oct 2013
  • 13,447 Views, 4 Comments

The Blade of Aldun - Radiant Dawn



One between worlds: belonging to neither, judged by both. Forced to forge her own path, a lone changeling finds herself more alone than ever. Her entire world changes, however, when a summons comes forth from an unlikely source.

  • ...
6
 4
 13,447

Chapter 2: No Promises

Chapter 2: No Promises

I have come to find that the average first-world person takes quite a few things for granted that most of the rest of the world doesn’t even have. Things like having readily-available food and shelter are just two of the things that ponies, for example, took for granted. Sure, there were other things, but at the moment the only thing I could think was:

‘By the stars above, hot running water could end wars!’

Besides being one of the rare times that I had soaps available to me (there’s actually a specific soap just for hair!), I had never had access to hot running water before. Usually, water would have to be boiled in a large kettle if anyone wanted a hot bath, which meant that more often than not, bathing was done with cold or lukewarm water. Cleaning solvents were usually little more than diluted lye with some sweet-smelling herbs thrown in to make it smell somewhat nice. It should be mentioned that even those items were hard to come by. So, to be freely offered a place to wash with hot water and soap was like a wonderful gift given to me by the most amazing person I had ever known. And no, I am not exaggerating. One doesn’t know how wonderful such things are until one can’t have them.

And the scents, by the stars, the scents. One of the soaps (which became my favorite, though I had to restrain myself from attempting to eat it) smelled of honey, while my chosen head-soap (“shampoo”, the bottle read) smelled like “mango”, whatever that is. All I know is that the scents themselves were intoxicating, and allowed me to relax in a way I never had before.


I pried my eyes open with a slight chill overcoming me, and I realized that in the wonderful hot bath I had run for myself, I had become too relaxed and fell asleep. I stretched my arms and legs, feeling my hooves connect with the end of the oversized bath, and then pushed myself up out of the cooled water. I reached a hand into the cloudy water and felt around for the chain that connected to the plug, and pulled it when I found it to let the water drain. After doing so, I stepped out of the basin and stood in front of the long counter that was bordered by a mirror on the wall above it.

I took in my clean form, pleased at how my chitin shone like polished obsidian. It had been longer than I cared to remember since I had seen myself so clean, and for the first time in nearly a decade my hair looked clean enough to rub against my face. In fact, I did just that.

After spending a moment rubbing my face against my own hair (and getting a sort of silly pleasure in watching my reflection do it), I quickly dried myself before making my way back to the bedroom and flopping down onto the bed with a happy sigh. I turned my head at the washing device in the corner, silently contemplating whether it would be worth fetching my clothes.

I snarled at the device. “Ugh, too far. Forget clothes for now.”

True that I could just use magic to get them out and over to me, but I honestly didn’t mind the fact that I could just lay around and not have to wear anything. Maybe it was just a changeling thing or maybe it was just me, but clothes always seemed like a really uncomfortable disguise to me. If it weren’t for the fact that it was illegal to be in the nude (not to mention that I often needed to conceal my identity), I wouldn’t even wear clothes. Dragons had it good in that department, and didn’t realize just how uncomfortable clothing could be. Odd that I envied dragons for their ability to be naked and it not cause a riot. Hmm…

My mental debate on the pros and cons of nakedness was interrupted by a firm knock at the door, which was followed by it opening and a white muzzle peeking in. “Miss Riverstar? I was sent by her royal highness Princess Twilight Sparkle to retrieve your dinner request.”

I grunted and rolled to my stomach, pulling part of the blanket with me to cover myself. “Come in.”

The young mare entered my room, and instantly began blushing when she saw the state of me. “O-oh dear. I could have waited outside until you were decent. I’ll just-”

I shook my head with a chuckle. “You ponies are a shy lot. How you people even manage to have sex with each other is a mystery to me.” I then propped my chin on my folded hands and grinned toothily at the servant. “I promise, it’s fine. Changelings don’t have mammary glands like ponies, so you’re not going to see anything anyway.” The blush on the pony’s cheeks didn’t abate, but she nodded and closed the door behind her before approaching. I smiled gently at her and commented, “You’re cute. What’s your name?”

The blush on her face increased a bit and she refused to meet my eyes as she meekly answered, “Um, Shining Justice.”

I raised my brow a bit. “Like Valiant Justice?”

She smiled gently and nodded. “Yes. He’s my older brother.”

I grinned as well as I replied, “He was one of the guards that brought me here. Nice guy. Didn’t speak a word to me until I started humming to myself though. It seems he’s a sucker for a pretty singing voice.”

The young Shining Justice giggled softly as she nodded. “I swear that when he marries, it’ll be to a famous singer. Sing him a pretty tune, and he’d be putty in any mare’s hooves.”

I shrugged with a sigh and a smile. “Well it’s good I’m not interested. I shudder to think what a pony’s parents would think of him or her bringing home a changeling.” I chuckled with her before pointing to the folded paper she held in her right hand. “So, is that a menu?”

Seemingly remembering why she had come in the first place, Shining Justice gasped and nodded with a sheepish smile as she handed it to me. “Oh yes, sorry.”

I waved her apology off with a grin before looking over the options given to me. The fare was a few tiers beyond anything I’d ever been offered before (let alone for free), so I took my time to look over the menu before handing it back to the servant. “I’ll have the seared faeriecap sandwich please, and a glass of water.”

Shining Justice eyed me curiously for a moment as she took the menu. “That’s all? Aren’t you hungry?”

I frowned as I asked, “What do you mean?”

She walked over to me and gestured to the first four items on the menu, which I had thought were separate items. “That’s a full meal there. You get all of it.”

My jaw dropped open as I looked over the options: a seared mushroom sandwich, a baked potato with full trimmings, steamed carrots in butter sauce, and a slice of apple pie for dessert. Along with all that was included my choice of a beverage, whether that be simple water or even wine.

I nearly fainted from the lavishness of it all.

“Is that good enough for you, or did you want something different?” Shining Justice asked nervously.

“NO!” I blurted, or nearly shouted. I then composed myself, realizing I’d likely scared the poor pony. “Um, no thank you. That’s all perfect. I’ll just have some mead, if you have any.”

She nodded with a gentle smile before backing away toward the door. “I’ll give the palace chefs your order and have it delivered when it is finished being prepared. Is there anything else you need?”

I cleared my throat and shook my head. “N-no thanks. I think that’s all I can handle right now. Thanks so much.”

The pony looked at me strangely, but said nothing as she left, once again leaving me alone in the lavish room that was provided. I flung the cover off of myself again to allow some adequate airflow to cool myself as I flopped onto my back and crossed my legs with a sigh. I once again stretched out on the silky-soft blanket and released a relaxed sigh.

“Alright,” I said aloud to myself, “no more messing about. So, the princesses want me to work for them…”

I began to seriously think about the princesses’ proposition. Immediately, I thought of a few downsides.

First off, I would answer directly to them. I had never been much of a fan of the nobility, as throughout my life my experiences with the higher castes tended to be rather tenuous at best. Curiously enough, nobles were the ones who most often sought my services, but they also had a tendency to screw me over on payment as well. That alone made me a little reluctant to be in the employ of the three Equestrian princesses.

Second, I wouldn’t be able to just disappear. Though I’d never been under direct employment from a guild or singular person, I knew what it was like. It meant that if I wanted to just leave at some point to have some time for myself, I might not have that option. The princesses would basically own me, and I might be little more than a dog that was occasionally let off of its leash.

The last great negative that I could think of was the fact that I didn’t have any dirt on the three princesses. Usually, I wouldn’t do a job for someone that I didn’t have leverage with. It assured that they wouldn’t rat me out, as I could hurt them just as bad as they could hurt me. There was no such leverage with the princesses, which meant that if I did something they didn’t like, they could basically arrest me and imprison me for my crimes, and there wasn’t likely to be anything I could do in response.

There were, however, positives to such an arrangement as well.

Steady income and jobs, for one. Sometimes in my career, I had been forced to sleep outside, or even go for a week or more without eating. The clothing I had within my pack was literally all I had. With employment direct from the princesses of Equestria, not only could I afford a more stable lifestyle, but stars-willing, I would never go hungry again.

Also, even with all of my misgivings about royalty, I just couldn’t see the princesses being the same way as normal nobility. If anything, they seemed to be the pinnacle of what nobility should be. They were where they were not because they had stepped on or cheated people to get there, but because they deserved it. An entire nation of people doesn’t love someone for no reason, after all. The possibility existed that I was wrong and they were completely different behind closed doors, but I had to follow my instincts on this one. My instincts told me that it just wasn’t possible for them to be so mind-breakingly different in private that I wouldn’t be able to work for them with peace of mind.

Most importantly of all though, being employed directly by the royalty of Equestria meant that I would be protected. Protection for an assassin was always a fickle thing, and more often than not, we were on our own. Taking on a more permanent employer meant that we had more stable protection, and generally speaking, the more powerful the employer, the more protection offered to us. So, being in the direct employ of royalty would be as safe a place as I could imagine.

Well...maybe there was another thing I could think of as well, unlikely as it was. With a more stable place to live and more regular people in my life, I had the chance to form something I’d never had before: friends and a family. The latter was something even more unlikely as the first, but if I took the princesses’ offer, there would be the possibility for both. My other personas could care less, but as Riverstar ‒ as myself ‒ I longed for those things. I was unsure how full-blood changelings felt on the matter, but I wished for the ability to make a home instead of just a place to sleep. I wished to create a place where I could know the people there cared about me and worried for my well-being as more than part of a contract. I wanted to be missed when I was gone.

I wanted…

No. Perhaps some things are asking too much even of possibilities. Life’s struggles had taught me to enjoy things I had, when I had them. After all, one never knows when the comforts one had would be taken away, nor by whom. Every day and every person held infinite possibilities, and I would never allow myself to forget that...not again.

Still, even as I mentally analyzed the offer presented to me by the princesses, I found even the possibilities leaning more and more toward the positive. And, honestly, it would be nice to live in a place that allowed me to take regular baths with soap. Yet again, most people who have the ability to bathe regularly underestimate the power of cleanliness.

As I mentally went over my observations again, it appeared my choice was made. I would give myself a day or so to see if I’d overlooked anything, but I was confident that I knew what I wanted ‒ I would gratefully take the offer presented to me. Still though, since the opportunity presented itself, I would allow myself time to double-check my thoughts and decision. Rushing headlong into something was an act a fool committed, and I was no fool. As mother used to joke when I would do something bad, “Mama didn’t raise no fool.”

A few knocks at the door brought me out of my thoughts, and I again covered myself before answering with a, “Come in.”

Shining Justice entered the room again, and only blushed slightly as she giggled at me. “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you want me to see you unclothed.”

I decided to have a little fun with her as I turned on my side, exposing my chest as I ran my fingertips down my body sensually. “And what if I do? What then?”

Immediately Shining Justice nearly nearly dropped the platter she was holding as she turned her face away, blushing brightly. “W-w-well, umm…”

I giggled at the cute mare, shaking my head. “It’s okay. Look at me and I’ll show you.” She seemed very reluctant to do so, but eventually shyly looked over at me as I motioned to my bare chest. “See? No nipples or anything. So if it makes you feel better, just imagine I’m wearing a thick, form-fitting shirt.”

“That actually does make me feel better.” she began, eyeing me as if she just realized something. “Why do you still have...umm…”

I shrugged, knowing she was referring to the two lumps on my chest that normal changelings didn’t have. “From my father’s side, I guess. I have attributes from both changelings and ponies. Truthfully, normal changelings are pretty flat everywhere. You wouldn’t be able to tell males from females unless they were a queen.” I looked down at myself and smirked. “I admit, it isn’t often I get to use such attributes to my advantage, but they definitely have their uses. With how easy men are to manipulate, I’m amazed they can even walk on their own sometimes.”

Shining Justice seemed to relax a bit, and she giggled with a nod. “I can agree with that.” She then gestured to the tray as she pulled the lid off, a wonderful scent caressing my nose. “Your meal, Miss Riverstar.”

I looked over the meal provided to me, and had to fight to keep from actively drooling. “It smells wonderful.”

She then reached at her side and pulled a small bag from her hip, which she then proceeded to open and produce a gold-stemmed wine glass, along with a bottle of gold-colored liquid. “Your drink as well.”

As she popped the cork open and poured some of the liquid into the glass, a familiar scent caressed my nostrils. Yet again, I tried to keep from drooling. I did not succeed.

Shining Justice giggled at me as she handed over the filled glass. “I take it you approve?”

I nodded dumbly, still entranced by the smells alone. “Uh huh.”

Offering no other comment on the matter, she set the tray of food on the bed beside me, and set the glass and bottle of mead on the nightstand near the head of the bed itself. She then turned to me with a gentle smile and asked, “Will that be all, Miss Riverstar?”

I smiled at the pony and nodded gratefully. “Yes. And thank you for your services. Pass on my thanks to the chef as well. I don’t even have to taste this to know it’s going to be good.”

“Then I shall take my leave. Good night.” Shining Justice spoke in farewell, just before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

After being left on my own, I looked around the room, searching for a better way to do this. After all, while the bed might not have been mine to clean, I didn’t want to cause undue work for the one who kept the rooms tidy. That would just be unbecoming of a good guest, and I was anything if not gracious.

I once again uncovered myself before standing. I walked over to the large doors at the entryway of the room and flipped the latch to lock it, then flashed my silver aura of magic to levitate the tray, glass, and bottle with me as I inspected the room.

“Windows, closed door...definitely not eating in the washroom.” I mused aloud to myself, just before turning to a trio of open archways with billowing lavender curtains in front of them. “Hello, what’s this?”

I pushed away the curtains and stepped out onto a stone balcony, enclosed in glass, with the windows opened to allow airflow into the room. From this one spot, I could see all of Canterlot in the late afternoon sun, and it was quite the sight to see. Hundreds of ponies could be seen working, spending time with their families, or simply enjoying the clean air of spring.

With my decision made, I sat upon a large, padded bench-like protrusion that ran along the entirety of the full-length windows. I sighed happily as the cool air kissed my bare chitin, allowing me to open the heat vents in my carapace and allow more body heat to escape to cool me. It was the most comfortable I’d been in quite some time, and the wonderful food that was provided to me just added to the experience.

I picked up the steaming sandwich of faeriecap, tomato, and lettuce before biting into it, savoring the juicy texture of the morsel as I chewed and “mmm’ed” to myself. I followed this up with a sip of the mead, and smiled happily as smooth, sweet alcohol flowed down my throat. True that there wasn’t any meat in this meal, but it was far better than anything I’d had in a long time. Nothing compares to a fresh kill of course, but this meal was damn close.

As I enjoyed my meal and the cool air, I let my mind wander a bit. Memories of better times with mother came unbidden, such as my first flight, my first heartbreak (and subsequent swearing-off of love altogether), and even my first job (legal job, mind you). Lastly came a memory I did not fancy, but it appeared anyway: the memory of mother explaining to me what I was, and how life would probably go for me.

Mother always believed in the old adage, “Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.” With that in mind, it goes without saying that her portrayal of my possible future was rather simplistic. She made it sound as if changelings were the bane of all existence in the eyes of the public, and so I could expect my life to be very difficult. It wasn’t the sort of thing a young girl would want to hear, but mother also never lied to me about anything. She believed truth was more important than temporary comfort, and so she was honest about everything. The one value that I kept with me from her teachings was this: “Care about yourself, because one day, you might be the only one that does.”

It was a sad truth of my life, but one that had kept me alive.

Even with the dirty side of the world being revealed to me from a young age, I didn’t begrudge my mother for her teachings. As I aged, I came to better understand just why she taught me the things she did, when she did. She was preparing for the very real possibility that she wouldn’t get to see me grow up, and so was driving me to become self-sufficient. I am glad that her life persisted through my young adulthood, but I still found her lessons useful.

I felt a tear fall from my eye as I thought of mother, and for probably the millionth time, wished she was still with me. Throughout my life, she had been the only one thus far that I had found I could put my full trust in, and as more and more time passed, I came to realize she might be the only one for someone like me.

I sniffled a bit as tears continued to fall, my meal laying half-eaten and forgotten, and the bottle of mead in my hand. “Why did you have to die?”

I had coped with mother’s death as well as I could have for being so lonely, but there were still times when a certain memory would crop up and remind me of how much I missed her. I suppose a normal person would have moved on, but only having one person in the entire world that I knew I could count on tended to make things harder for me.

“Is something troubling you, child?” spoke a warm, loving voice within my mind.

My head shot up as I looked around the balcony and room. “P-Princess Celestia?”

“I’m outside your door, dear.” she answered gently. “I thought it prudent to ask permission before entering, seeing as how you appear to be a clothing-optional type of woman. I don’t mind, but I wished not to simply burst into your room unannounced.”

I cleared my throat before standing and walking to the washing device, opening it and magically pulling out a pair of clean trousers and a shirt, which I hurriedly donned before stating, “Come on in.”

The door shook for a moment as the latch held fast, but then a golden aura undid it and the door swung open to reveal the princess of the day. She closed the door behind her and strode into the room, her generous assets only covered by a thin toga-like outfit that just barely preserved modesty. I didn’t even try not to stare.

“I take it you approve of my evening wear?” she stated with a smirk.

I coughed nervously and nodded. “Uh, yeah. It’s really...nice.”

She giggled softly from behind her hand before stepping forward, her brilliant white coat shining in the orange light of late afternoon. “I believe my subjects have a saying for this situation. I believe it goes, ‘This is my house, and I’ll do what I damn well please!’”

I burst into laughter at her statement, and just barely kept from falling to the ground by bracing myself against the wall.

After my laughter died off, the princess approached me once again, this time standing just a foot in front of me. “Now,” she began, her smile melting away into concern, “what troubles you? I could feel your sorrow from my own quarters, which is quite a ways away from this room.”

I raised my eyebrow curiously. “You felt my sorrow? What does that even mean?”

She narrowed her eyes a bit as she said, “I’m not sure what else I could mean besides that. It helps to bring happiness to people if one knows how they truly feel.”

“Wait,” I started, realization coming over me, “so you actually can feel what I’m feeling? I mean, I’d heard ponies in the past say that their pain was your pain, but I didn’t think they meant literally.”

The princess shrugged, backing up and seating herself on the bed. “We as living things have evolved to care for ourselves before anyone else. It is that selfishness that allows us to survive in a hostile world. Some of us, however, are born with the ability to care for others just as much as ourselves, if not more. It makes it easier to care for the multitudes that come through my doors if I can truly feel the anger, sorrow, or joy that they feel. It keeps me connected to them, and allows me to rule more successfully.” She sighed wistfully then, her bright magenta eyes focusing on mine. “I believe you know what it is like when the cold hand of mortality has no hold on you.” I cast my gaze away as I realized that she was likely one of the few in the world that could sympathize with some of the hardships of my life. “Come, sit with me a moment.”

I obliged without a second though, seating myself on the soft bed beside the Equestrian princess, feeling a slight tickle on my arm as her large wings shifted into a comfortable position.

“So,” she began, her warmth radiating off of her skin and into me, causing me to shiver, “what brought you such sorrow?”

I again met her eyes with my own, searching for the reason she might be asking me about such a thing. Over the years, I had become rather proficient at reading other individuals, so I trained that skill upon the princess. I was a little surprised when I found none of the things I normally found. There was no malicious intent, and nor was there a hidden agenda. That meant…”

“You actually care…” I mumbled. I then jumped a bit in surprise despite myself, and chuckled nervously. “I-I mean, umm…”

Princess Celestia smiled gently as she shook her head, placing her fingers on my lips to silence me. “Calm yourself, Riverstar. I know no offense was meant.” As she removed her hand from my mouth, she gazed at me with genuine concern. “Yes, I do care. I care about everyone I meet, which is why I need Luna to balance my caring nature with cautiousness and logic. And to answer your unspoken question, it doesn’t matter to me that you are a changeling; or half-changeling, as the case is.”

I was honestly a little surprised, as I was just about to mention the reality of my true nature. Is she psychic?

“No, I am not.” she said with a grin. Just as I began to sputter apologies, she giggled and shook her head. “Truly, I am not. I just have lived long enough that I can tell what questions you were asking yourself.”

I calmed myself for a moment before looking up at the princess, watching her eyes reflect only care and concern. “Well, it was about my mother...the reason why I was sad, I mean.” I turned my eyes to my lap as I wrung my hands nervously. “I just...I miss her a lot.”

“Did you lose her from a young age?” she asked curiously.

I shook my head. “No, not really. I was already an adult when she passed. It’s just...I didn’t even get to say goodbye. One day she was leaving for a nearby town for supplies and groceries, and then Queen Chrysalis attacked Canterlot. Mother never came back.” The tears began to fall again before I knew it, and I punched the bed as sorrow changed to anger. “Do you have any idea what it’s like to hate your own kind? To know that they’re to blame for how your life turned out? I suppose you don’t. You’re lucky then, because I do, and it’s not a good feeling.” I then gasped and turned my eyes to the princess. “I am so sorry.”

She rolled her eyes with a sigh. “I don’t know why it is people think they must always be joyful in front of me. I know better than most that anger and sadness is as much a part of us as joy, and we feel all of them.” She then locked her eyes on me and said, “It’s alright, dear. Let it out. I promise, you’ll feel better.” I honestly couldn’t think of anything to say, but after a moment, the princess saved me the embarrassment. “For what it’s worth, I know what betrayal feels like. I may not mistrust an entire race, but I have been privy to my own share of people abusing my trust. Equestria was not always at peace after all, and we royals were not always loved. It was very difficult to get Equestria to where it is today, and it is just as difficult to maintain it.” She then sighed gently, her eyes becoming somewhat darker. “It’s because I know what betrayal feels like that I forged a land where people can trust one another. True that every land ‒ no matter how peaceful ‒ has its patches of evil, but generally my ponies know they can take one another at face-value.” She then looked at me again and said, “I am sorry that you have not grown up with that same comfort. Truly, I am. Regardless of what people think, my sister and I do not hate changelings, nor do we blame the entire race for the wrongs committed by a few misguided individuals. I know that everyone is unique, so to place equal blame on an entire race of people is wrong, and I will not do it. Unfortunately, I also cannot force people to do what I wish. Prejudices take time to die, and some may live forever.” The princess’ hand then reached for mine and she held it gently. I didn't pull away. “But I hope that you will allow me to show you that there are some in this world that are worthy of your trust, and there is someplace you can feel safe.”

Her hand felt warm upon mine, and it radiated a feeling of safety. My mind told me to always watch hands, lest they grasp the handle of a dagger. My heart, however, was telling me that that beautiful white hand would never hurt me. No matter what my head was telling me, my heart was insistent that I had nothing to fear from the princess.

Before confusion could overtake me, the princess released me and stood, bowing shallowly as she stepped away. “It is late, and I must retire. However, I invite you to breakfast if you are feeling up to it. If you are, meet me in the dining hall at seven. A guard will escort you there.” She then offered me that same gentle smile before turning on her hooves and striding out of the room, leaving me alone again.

I frowned as I sat alone on the bed, and looked to see my right hand still clutching the bottle of mead. I shrugged and upended it into my mouth, gulping down the sweet alcohol before coughing as I finished, setting the empty bottle down on the nightstand.

Just as I was about to think about what to do with the dishes and such, a knock sounded from the door once again, and I announced, “Come in.”

A large orange-furred stallion stepped into the room, dressed in a tuxedo with white gloves and a bow-tie. “Evening, madam. I will collect the dishware from your evening meal.” I said nothing as I watched him walk by, but pointed a shaky hand to the outside balcony-thing. I watched as the giant of a pony trotted by, subtly wondering how such a huge guy was a butler instead of a guard. Not that I was complaining of course, but I just found it strange. The pony returned to the interior a moment later and grabbed the empty bottle before giving a curt bow. “Have a good night, madam.” Without another word, he left the room.

“Hmm...efficient.” I mumbled to myself.

I lit up my horn and latched the door again before removing my clothes, trying my best to fold them before setting them on top of the washing machine-device-thing. I then readjusted my tail before laying down on my back, staring up at the ceiling. I laid one hand on my stomach as the other absentmindedly played with my tail hair. As I did so, I thanked the stars that my father’s genes had given me a normal mane and tail, unlike other changelings.

I felt a little uncomfortable not being able to have my blades at hand as I began to feel exhaustion overtake me, but I also realized that had the princesses wanted me harmed, I would have already been dead or imprisoned. With that in mind, I closed my eyes and let myself slip away.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment