• Published 24th Oct 2013
  • 1,637 Views, 375 Comments

Blueblood's Ascension Part III; or, Even Alicorns Have Dreams - MyHobby



Blueblood is sent to Tartarus. No, he's not a prisoner. Rather, he is to become the new warden of the magical prison for Nightmares. The key problem is that he just doesn't want to be the warden. Will he follow his duty, or his dreams?

  • ...
8
 375
 1,637

Aliconversation

Celestia drew back the curtain to reveal the balcony, which overlooked the Canterlot Guardens. The moon rose into the sky, framing the horizon with a silvery glow. Blueblood stepped into the night and waited quietly.

Celestia sighed as she looked to the infant moonrise. “Would this not be an opportunity to reconcile?”

“Aunt Celestia, if there is any pony in all the world who irritates me more than he does…” Blueblood shook his head and rested his chin on the railing. “I haven’t met them.”

A gentle hoof descended on his back. He felt his muscles relaxing under the princess’ soft touch. “All the more reason to fix it now. He’s your father, Blueblood.”

“I recognize that I am the fruit of his loins,” Blueblood growled. “That doesn’t make me wish him to be sent to the moon any less.”

“Don’t you dare even joke about that!” Celestia said, quietly yet firmly. It took her a moment to get her breathing under control. “Please.”

Blueblood’s ears drooped. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“I know,” she mumbled. She gave him a smile as she rubbed her hoof up and down his back. “It just brings up… strong feelings in me.”

“Understandable.” Blueblood sat there for a moment longer to savor the company. “Was small talk the point of this little rescue party, or was there something specific?”

Celestia stopped rubbing his back. She set her chin on the railing next to his. “I need a reason to talk to my nephew?”

“Not really,” he chuckled. “Though I suppose I now owe you one.”

“Bleh.” Celestia stuck her tongue out. “Not after this morning. Not with what you’re about to do.”

“Fair enough.” His ears twitched towards her. “How goes the alicornification of Equestria?”

Celestia’s ears fell back, and Blueblood raised an eyebrow. “Did something happen in the coronation line today?”

“Not just today, but ongoing...” The moon rose gently as the stars poofed into existence. “Every once in a while, I get reminded that I am not perfect.”

“Gasp, no!” Blueblood lifted his head to give her his best faux-shocked expression. “Not the Goddess of the Day!”

“Hush, you,” she giggled. “I try to smile at all of my little ponies that ascend. I try to show them that I am proud of them. That I appreciate them.”

He stretched his wings and rolled his shoulders. “That much is expected, I know.”

“Do you remember that time where Twilight and her friends were almost killed?” Celestia asked.

Blueblood sniffed. “You’re going to have to be a bit more specific.”

“At the Wonderbolts Academy, then.” Celestia frowned as she saw the scene play in her mind’s eye. “The mare that caused that tornado, she showed up one day.”

Blueblood’s eyebrows joined together on his forehead. “She is a princess, then?”

“Yes. And it was at that moment that I made my mistake.” She looked at him, then down at her own hooves. “I showed displeasure. Great displeasure.”

“Oh,” Blueblood said. “Oh my. Did anypony notice?”

“Just her,” Celestia sighed. “But the little sins are the ones that can hurt the most. Never forgiven, never forgotten. And now, that’s proven true even more.”

She turned to him, lowering her head to his level. “So, my nephew, how would you handle it?”

Blueblood’s nose scrunched up as he considered the options available. “I would… seek her out. I would… explain, and ask for her forgiveness. Maybe do something nice? Try to make it right?”

Celestia’s smile did not quite hide the tear sliding down her cheek. “You’re growing wiser every day, Blueblood.”

“I’m learning from the best.” He gave her a grin, which she accepted with a sidelong hug with her wing. “You will visit me, will you not?”

The silence was deafening. Celestia’s hug grew tighter, drawing him closer. “Blueblood… Oh, Blueblood. I never…” She took in a shuddering breath. “I never visited your great-grandfather. I hardly knew him. Hardly anypony knew him. His was a lonely existence that seemed to make him perfect for his job. He loathed the world after he cast that spell.”

She sighed. “But you’re not like him. You have friends and family. Oh, Blueblood, I have to visit you. To not do so would be a waste.”

“Thank you.” Blueblood stood and looked out over the kingdom. “I wish it didn’t have to be this way.”

“If there was any possible way to—” Celestia ceased her response as Blueblood raised a hoof.

“I know,” he said. “I know.”

A beat passed, in which both ponies realized that they had nothing more to say. Celestia stood and made her way inside the Blueblood suite, where Bluemane was waiting. He rose and bowed to her. “I assume you had a productive—”

“Bluemane,” she interrupted, “come with me.”

The surprised unicorn stallion followed mutely, leaving Blueblood alone in the room. The prince climbed into bed with a sigh, extinguishing the fireplace with a sparkle of magic.

Bluemane smirked at Celestia. “I hope my son wasn’t too much of a burden for you.”

“Bluemane,” Celestia said, “your son is a pleasure to be around. He is doing his best to be helpful, and he is learning more about friendship every day. He is often brilliant, kind-hearted when he thinks about it, and a good listener.” She drew down to his level by bending her knees. “He is giving up everything to fulfill an oath and battle a curse that, by all rights, should be yours. I suggest you reconsider your position on him, if you can be bothered to find the time.”

Bluemane stood speechless as she walked to her bedchambers. “If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go mourn the loss of one of my little ponies, and a dear friend.”

“He’s not dead!” Bluemane called out. “You’ve said it yourself!”

She flicked her tail as she continued on. “The loss has nothing to do with death.”

Bluemane hesitated, but then started after her. “Very well, what sort of loss do you mean?”

She paused before her door, her hoof on the handle. Her eyes were sullen as she looked not so much at him as through him. “The worst kind of loss, Bluemane.”

The door opened, and she left him alone. “Lost potential.

***

“Tartarus. Tartarus. Tartarus. Tartarus.”

A book flew off of the library shelves to land beside its discarded brothers.

“Tartarus, Tartarus, Tartarus.”

Five more books followed. There seemed to be more books on the floor than on the shelves.

“Heck, eternal darnation, the big hoosegow.”

One book was surrounded by a glossy purple glow and lifted into the air. It drew near to two similarly-purple eyes that burned with intensity. “There’s gotta be a link. Well, of course there’s a link, I just gotta find it!”

Twilight Sparkle lifted her head and shouted into the darkened depths of the library. “Spike! Spiiike! The heck are you!?”

Silence answered her in its unfulfilling way. Her eyes landed on the three or four candles that sat upon her desk, the only lighting in the entire tree-library-combination-conglomeration. Her violet eyes rolled. “Okay, maybe that can wait until morning.”

A quick glance out the window showed that the moon had dipped below the horizon, leaving the whole land covered in darkness that was only broken by starlight. It would be another hour before the moon shone again. “Huh. I guess even Luna can’t shine a little light on this mystery.”

“Maybe not,” another voice said. “But maybe so.”

Twilight fell off of her stool with a yelp. She rose quickly to her feet, taking a bow as she did so. “Princess Luna! What a, a pleasant surprise! Can I get you anything? Coffee? Donuts? A three-course dinner? The complete works of Starswirl the Bearded!?”

“That… won’t be necessary,” Luna assured her. Midnight-blue feathers ruffled as she strode closer to Twilight. “But I am here to help you.”

“Oh, awesome!” Twilight laughed. “If you could take the left side of the room, we can cover the shelves in half the time! Once we’ve gathered all the reference books with even a single paragraph on Tartarus, we can start cross-referencing for any mention of the Blueblood family!”

“I think…” Luna shook her head and cleared her throat. “I think we can skip that part, for now.”

“Oh!” Twilight exclaimed. “That’s even better! This probably happened before the whole Nightmare thing, right? So you can just explain the rules about the oath, and I can work on a way around it! All I need is to know who cast it, what their exact wording was, what other forces were in play, the color, size, and consistency of the ethereal parabola—”

“Twilight,” Luna coughed, “perhaps if you let me explain?”

“Oh.” Twilight sat with a frown. “Oh. Yeah.”

Luna walked slowly up to the other alicorn and sat before her. “First of all, hi.”

A smile poked the corners of Twilight’s mouth upward. “Hi, Luna. How are you doing?”

“Tired,” Luna replied. “I have fought Nightmares every night for the past week. It’s getting old.”

The smile vanished from Twilight’s face. “Tartarus escapees?”

“Precisely.” The Princess of the Night magicked a candle over to rest between them. “They are growing more numerous night by night. I am the only thing that can stand between them and the ponies of Equestria.” She tilted her head to the side, just the hint of a pout forming on her lips. “Save for one stallion.”

Twilight snorted. “Of course you mean Blueblood.” She narrowed her eyes and lowered her eyebrows, pausing a moment to formulate her thoughts. “Why him? What does he have that you can’t get anywhere else? Why him?

Luna’s mystical mane fell over half of her face as she leaned forward. “That’s why I wanted to visit with you tonight, Twilight. I need to explain things to you before…”

Twilight took the opportunity to finish her sovereign’s sentence. “Before another ‘Lesson Zero’ incident happens, huh?” She huffed, drooping her head down and hunching her shoulders. “’Kay, lay it on me, Princess.”

“I mean no disrespect,” Luna said. She turned away to gaze upon what books remained on the dusty shelves. “But I… I just worry about you.”

Twilight Sparkle tapped her hooves together. She met Luna’s eyes. “I appreciate it. I really do.”

Luna nodded. “I know you want to help your friend, but this is… What he’s doing is important.”

Twilight brought them pillows to sit on, and the elder princess began her tale. “A thousand years ago, Celestia and I ruled the land. You know the story; I grew jealous, I gained unspeakable power, I sought to overthrow her. However, I did not do so alone.”

The skin around her eyes grew tight. “The source of my dark power, the beings that tempted me to embrace the night and discard the day, were called the Nightmare Forces. An army of Nightmares and bad dreams and temptations… But you knew that. You encountered them while we rescued your friend on the moon.”

Twilight nodded and settled down deeper in her pillow.

“Their leader, Shadowfright, fled to the moon with a small group of the Forces when I was finally banished. He was cast down when Rarity was restored.”

“Good riddance,” Twilight mumbled.

Luna let loose a sigh. “But that was not all Equestria has seen of the Nightmares. A few years after my banishment, the remainder of the Forces gathered under another commander to attack Equestria. Scorpan was his name; a powerful wizard with a keen mind, one to rival Starswirl the Bearded.”

Lavender eyes rolled to formulate a response. “Please. If he was such a rival to Starswirl, why haven’t I heard of him?”

“Because the sheer memory that I worked with him hurts.” Luna gritted her teeth. “This is hard, Twilight. It hurts to admit the things I did. That I did willingly! Celestia always tried to hide it, to obfuscate it. Nightmare Night, the Legend of Harmony, the Sleeping Volcano…” She flopped over onto the pillow. “But it always comes back to haunt me.”

Twilight leaned in closer. “We can do this another time, if you want.”

“No.” Luna sat up and squared her shoulders. “It must be said. Now.

“While I, as Nightmare Moon, attacked with brute force, Scorpan assaulted Equestria using the most devious of weapons in the Nightmare Forces’ arsenal.” The midnight alicorn’s lip trembled. “He attacked the hopes, the dreams, the hidden wishes of my little ponies. He spread fear and despair through the night as they slept.”

“Like the Nightmares are doing now?” Twilight asked.

“Oh, Twilight,” Luna said with a shake of her head, “it was on a far grander scale than now. It was a full war against Equestria’s morale, and he came so close to victory.”

Luna’s head raised a bit higher, her voice filling with that much more power, as she continued on. “But he was opposed by the full might of Celestia and her royal guard. She pushed him back in the realm of wakefulness, until he had nowhere to run but his base in a violent, volcanic region of Equestria, what we now call the Sleeping Mountains. While my sister fought the army, one lone soldier faced Scorpan. The madpony cast a spell on the soldier, a horrific curse that left him a mere fragment of his former self.”

Luna’s wings drooped along the pillow. “The soldier rose up and, with the last reserves of his strength, performed a miracle of a spell—one of his own creation—that bound Scorpan deep within the heart of the most violent volcano. Celestia vanquished the army of Nightmares, and together with the soldier cast them into the depths of what is now known as Tartarus. That broken soldier chose to stay, to guard and to hold back the villainous magic within. His name was Bluebones. His request to her was to take care of his family as long as he stayed within the newly formed prison.”

A flicker of realization flashed through Twilight’s eyes. “Blueblood’s family. Oh, no.”

Luna chewed her bottom lip as she dropped her eyes to the floor. “My sister’s adoptive nephew is the last in the line of Bluebloods. His family holds the secret of casting the spell that holds the Nightmares back. If he does not take up the mantel, there will be another war against those monsters. A full war of sheer, bloodshot panic.”

“B-b-but—” Twilight turned this way and that, looking at the books on the ground, the stars in the sky, and the princess beside her. “There’s gotta be something—anything!—that I can do to help him!”

“And there is, Twilight Sparkle!” Luna rose to her feet and looked down upon the younger princess with soft eyes. “Be his friend. Visit him, write to him, give him a life to live! You can do so much for him just by showing that you care.”

“But it’s not enough!” Twilight dove back into her books, reading without truly comprehending. “I need to save him! I need to rescue him! I need to make everything okay now! I need to make Tartarus not a ploblem!”

“Twilight, sit down!”

Twilight complied, though under duress. Luna walked over to her with a frown. “Guard your heart, my friend. There are forces afoot that would find your emotional distress… tantalizing. Now come, you need your rest.”

“I’m not tired,” Twilight huffed. “I’m not the least bit sleepy.”

Luna’s face softened again. She shut her eyes with a sigh. “Twilight, you’re not tired because you’re already asleep.”

Twilight’s eyebrows shot up. “What?”

“Observe.” Luna pointed at a still, purple form on Twilight Sparkle’s bed. The quilt rose and fell in a steady rhythm. “You have been projecting yourself in your slumber, in order to research deeper into Tartarus.” The Nightbringer shook her head slowly, letting loose a small chuckle. “I came when Spike wrote to me about ‘Twilight’s ghost’ haunting the library.”

Twilight Sparkle looked down on her true body. She raised her hoof as if to touch it. She pulled away before making contact. “I… I had no idea I could…”

“It’s just the stress, Twilight,” Luna said. “It will fade, in time.”

Luna drew beside the purple alicorn and placed a small kiss upon her forehead. “For now, sleep deeply.”

Twilight’s eyelids grew heavy as her projection faded, violet magic flowing back into her corporeal form. Luna turned from the sight and strode to the door, where a small, purple-and-green dragon waited.

“Is she gonna be okay?” Spike asked.

“I hope so,” Luna sighed. “She has the facts, now. How she interprets them is up to her.”

The dragon nodded. “Hay, speaking of the facts, why didn’t Princess Celestia want to tell her about this?”

“She has to sleep sometime.” Luna gave him perhaps the noblest cheeky grin he had ever, or would ever, receive. “I’m just helping her out.”

“It just seems kinda weird that she’d have somepony tell the story when they weren’t even there.” Spike yawned and stretched his tail out, blinking owlishly in the darkness. “But I guess that’s the same thing as books, or whatever.”

“Get some sleep.” Luna placed a hoof on his shoulder and guided him to his comfy little basket. “I shall watch you and Twilight both, guiding you on to pleasant dreams.”

Spike allowed himself to be slowly lowered into his bedding. “Still, it’s gotta be kinda different telling a story that you’ve only heard from Princess Celestia, huh?”

“Actually, Spike,” Luna muttered as he drifted off, “I didn’t hear it from her. I heard it from him.


***

The fire burned mutely in the hearth. Discarded bits of food remained on nearly-untouched plates that sat continually ignored. Beside it all, Blueblood found himself inches away from a delightful smooch with Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship.

That’s when he realized something was critically wrong.

He pushed the princess away with a frown. “No, this isn’t right. You have a special somepony. I can’t just—”

“Oh, why should that stop you?” Blueblood spun towards the fireplace, where a tall unicorn was silhouetted against the flames. “Why should the Twice-crowned Prince of Equestria have to second-guess himself?”

“B-because this is wrong. I’m better than”—Blueblood swallowed hard—“I need to be better than this.”

“But you’re not, are you?” the silhouette asked. “You’re just a petty little failure, riding on the coattails of other ponies’ success.”

Twilight looked from side to side. “Do I get a say in any of this?”

“You can try,” the unicorn said. “But will the prince listen?”

Blueblood sighed. With a wave of his hoof, the figment of Twilight Sparkle vanished into thin air. “There. Lucid dreaming. You’re next, fiendish specter.”

“No,” it replied. “You are next. The next in line to guard Tartarus, a job for which you have absolutely no qualifications. Am I correct?”

Blueblood angled around the silhouette, trying to bring it into sharper focus. The light was too dim for him to make out any details. “The qualifications required are iffy at best, and obscure at worst. I’ll be fine.”

“You’ll be fine as you are surrounded by the most haunting Nightmares? The most disturbed dreams?” The undefined figure tilted its head to the left. “You could not even stop a Terror. How could you face a true demon?”

“We— I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, won’t I?” Blueblood sneered at the apparition. “Now, get out of my dream, whatever you are.”

The silhouette took a few steps back, putting the fireplace between itself and the prince. It sneered in a perfect mirror to Blueblood’s own expression. “Make me.”

A gray coat, a silvery-blue mane, and crystal blue eyes stood out against the dark room. “Dad?” Blueblood sputtered. “What are you doing inside my head!?”

***

Blueblood woke with a start. A headache formed beneath his horn, prompting him to grab a glass of water from his faucet. As he walked through the halls, he heard muttered grumblings issuing forth from an adjacent study, one that sat across from his own workshop.

He creaked the door open to find his father sitting on a large armchair, nose deep in a geography book. Bluemane’s bespectacled eyes shot up over the edge of the book. “Can I help you?”

“I… I suppose not,” Blueblood said quietly, carefully. “I just assumed that you’d have been asleep by now.”

Bluemane pushed his glasses up and rubbed at his eyes, bloodshot and shadowed from an evident sleep deficiency. “If only. Was there something else?”

Blueblood squinted at his father. “I suppose that depends on what you have to say about Dreamhopping.”

Bluemane shrugged. “I appreciate what Princess Luna does with it. What of it?”

Blueblood shook his head as he eased the door shut. “Nothing. Good night, Father.”

Author's Note:

Exposition

I'm kinda nervous that Luna's little monologue was either stilted or droning. Or worse, boring. I certainly spent a lot of time spicing it up...

I'll leave it to you, dear reader, to have an opinion on it.