• Published 24th Oct 2013
  • 1,638 Views, 375 Comments

Blueblood's Ascension Part III; or, Even Alicorns Have Dreams - MyHobby



Blueblood is sent to Tartarus. No, he's not a prisoner. Rather, he is to become the new warden of the magical prison for Nightmares. The key problem is that he just doesn't want to be the warden. Will he follow his duty, or his dreams?

  • ...
8
 375
 1,638

The Space Lattice of a Crystal King

Rarity dropped her saddlebags by the door, shutting out the warm night. She ran a hoof over her eyes and blinked at the sudden light. Her eyes widened and an eyebrow rose at the sight that greeted her. “How long have you been waiting there?”

Sombra looked up, his red eyes twinkling. He grinned and stood up from the chairs beside Carousel Boutique’s dressing rooms. A quick flash of his horn set the magazine he’d been reading on a small table. “Waiting? I think you give me too much credit.”

He looked over her shoulder. “Where’s Pinkie?”

“She decided to stay with the Cakes tonight.” Rarity brushed her long curl behind her head. “Has Mandible gone home yet?”

Sombra shook his head. His lip twitched. “He said he had to finish a job before he left. I think he’s been stitching and pulling threads all day long.”

Rarity smiled. “Oh good. I know he’s been practicing—”

“Stitching and pulling the same threads all day long.”

Rarity tilted her head. Her eyes fell to the floor. “Well… I suppose that’s sweet of him.”

“Sweet?” Sombra hid a sneer from her. “He hasn’t done anything productive at all.”

“Well, what could he do?” Rarity shrugged. “He wants to stick around so that he can help if I need it. I think it’s sweet.”

Sombra sighed through his nose. He tilted his curved horn at the “Inspiration Room.” “He and Spike are in there now. Going around some sort of dress-making roulette, I imagine.”

Rarity looked toward the room. She lifted a hoof in its direction, but was stopped by Sombra’s hoof on her shoulder. “Let them be,” he said. “I have something for you.”

Rarity stood tall and looked at him with bright, blue eyes. “Something nice?”

Sombra nodded. He led the way to Rarity’s sitting room. He shut the doorway behind them, leaving the room illuminated solely by the burning hearth. They sat together on Rarity’s couch, and Sombra poured glasses of aged grape juice. The fire cast deep shadows around the room, which darkened the portion of their faces that weren’t facing the flame.

But still her eye sparkled.

Their glasses clinked together, and they both took a sip. Rarity leaned against Sombra’s broad chest and let a slow breath out. “This truly is something nice.”

Sombra smiled down at her. “It’s not all.”

“Mm, save it for a moment, will you?” she asked. “I do so love suspense.”

They sat quietly, listening to the crackle of the flames. Sombra chewed his bottom lip. “I hate suspense.”

“Pft!” Rarity giggled. “You obviously have no sense of patience! Very well.” She sat up and faced him. “What is the nice thing you wish to share with me?”

His horn glowed. Out from behind his back floated two glistening pieces of golden foil. He presented them to Rarity with a grin. “Lady Rarity, would you do me the great honor of accompanying me to the Grand Galloping Gala?”

Rarity touched a hoof to her chest. “Oh… oh my…”

“It’s just a few days away.” His eyes flicked toward the fire. “I would have asked you sooner, but I wasn’t able to acquire them until after that little going away party…”

She took his hoof in hers. “Oh, Dark Shadow Lightning, I would love to.” She drew his hoof to her chest. “But I can’t.”

Sombra blinked. The tickets fluttered to the ground. “What?”

“Dark, I…” Rarity rubbed her hoof along his foreleg. “Flash Sentry is gathering together a team to find Twilight. I’m going with them. Our first stop is Tartarus, and we’re leaving tomorrow.”

“B-but…” Sombra shook his head. “You’ll never find her and make it back before—”

“I’m sorry, Prince Lightning.” Rarity cupped his cheek in her hoof. “But I must prioritize. This could mean my friend’s life.”

“Yes.” Sombra sucked in a breath. “Yes, it might.” He picked up the two tickets and stuffed them away. “Yes, what was I thinking?”

Rarity patted his hoof. “You wanted to see me happy, and for that I thank you.”

“Of course,” Sombra said. His shoulders tensed. “But there’s only one thing that can make you happy at this time, isn’t there?”

Rarity shrugged one shoulder. “I must confess, the safe journey home of my friends would do a lot towards easing my worry.”

Sombra’s muscles bulged within his chest as he sucked in breath after breath. “Then shall they be saved.” He snapped his head towards her. “You said we leave tomorrow?”

Rarity nodded. “At dawn.”

“Yes.” Sombra stood. “Tomorrow we begin our journey to rescue Twilight…” His eyes widened. “Sparkle?”

Rarity made a small cry of surprise as Sombra bolted over to her. “You said her name was Twilight Sparkle?” he asked.

“Um…” Rarity smiled. “Yes! Haven’t you been introduced?”

Sombra stalked away from her. “Perhaps. Perhaps I never made the connection—” He slowed and looked back at her. “You said she was a ‘friend’”—he made air quotes with his hooves—“of the princesses?”

Rarity flicked a curl out of her eyes. “I think they are quite good friends, yes. Very good, in fact. Twilight was Princess Celestia’s personal student for years before the ascension.”

Sombra glared at the fire so that Rarity would not see his snarl. “Personal student. Her and her friends…” He shut his eyes tight and gritted his teeth. “I remember something about Elements?”

“That was ages ago, darling. We returned them to the tree.” Rarity tittered. “Though I still attempt to live up to the Generosity I’d been given.”

Sombra stiffened. He turned painfully to face Rarity. “You bore an Element?”

“Well, I don’t mean to brag.” Rarity bit back a smile. “I suppose you were going to find out sooner or later.”

“So…” Sombra felt his heart pound within his chest. “Nightmare Moon?”

“Reunited with her sister!” Rarity proclaimed. She lifted her glass into the air and took a small gulp.

“And…” Sombra sat down. “Discord?”

“Turned to stone!” Rarity laughed. “And then reformed. That was an odd time for all of us.”

“Queen Chrysalis?” Sombra asked.

“Well, Shining Armor and Princess Cadence put an end to her first plot…” Rarity tapped her chin. “I hear that Lyra Heartstrings blasted her off of a waterfall to save Blueblood’s life. Small world, it seems.”

“Then there was…” Sombra choked. “King Sombra?”

Rarity sneered. “That monster was blasted apart by the love and happiness of the Crystal Ponies, never to be seen again.” She waved a hoof. “I can’t say I had much of a hoof in his defeat, but I wouldn’t have been averse to giving the slave driver a little of his own medicine.”

Sombra spread his wings. He folded them back with a great degree of self control. “You… have… done much for the kingdom.”

“I hardly think it was that much,” Rarity said. She poured them both another glass of grape juice. “Sit down; I can hardly cuddle with you if you’re up and about like that.”

Sombra refused to meet her eyes. He gave her a peck on the cheek and trotted for the door. “I’m… I’m afraid today has taken a lot out of me. I believe it is time to call it a night.”

“Oh.” Rarity frowned as he left. “Well. I suppose I can’t begrudge…” She cast her eyes down. “Thank you for the tickets. Perhaps we can make it next year.”

Sombra paused at the doorway. “Perhaps.”

Rarity sighed and flopped back on the couch.


Sombra felt a bitter chill in the air. Sea spray splashed all around him. He looked down a sheer cliff and spied the massive, churning ocean below. He grimaced at the sharp rocks that lay where the land met the sea.

To his back sat rolling green hills and quaint farms. He suspected that a leprechaun was just on the other side of a hill, hiding its pot of gold where none could ever find it. The dark clouds overhead rolled almost as much as the sea below, threatening to spill their rain on unprotected heads.

Sombra frowned and wished for a hat.

A loud sob captured his attention. It was altogether too familiar. He looked over and saw the radiant Rarity, decked out in a long white dress and sobbing into a damp handkerchief. She looked up at him, with those beloved blue eyes, and cried all the harder.

Sombra flew over to her, landing lightly at her side. “Lady Rarity, what troubles you?”

Rarity shivered as a particularly irksome wave splashed up the cliff side. “Oh, it’s simply dreadful, My Prince! I can barely live with myself!”

Sombra wrapped his forelegs around her. “Whatever it is, I shall be by your side—”

“I kissed Sombra!” she wailed.

Sombra blinked. “I beg you—”

“I… I thought he loved me!” she continued. “I thought we were to be together forever! But…” she squeaked out a small cry. “But he’s a monster!

Sombra snapped his mouth shut. He pried his teeth apart and tried to find the right words to say. “I’m sure… I’m sure there’s some misunderstanding…”

“He enslaved an empire!” Rarity threw her handkerchief into the ocean. It fluttered down until it was engulfed by a bitter deluge. “He harmed millions of innocents! He tried to destroy the princesses!” She looked up at him and clutched at his shoulders. “He caused an entire kingdom to vanish for a thousand years!”

She let go of him and walked backwards towards the cliff. “I thought he loved me.”

Sombra stretched his foreleg out. “Rarity!”

“I thought you loved me.” Rarity closed her eyes and let herself drop.

Sombra dove off of the edge of the cliff, his wings spreading wide. He grasped at Rarity and clutched her to his chest. He was about to pull up when a wave caught him.

He was under the waves, rolling with the current, unaware of which way was up. He lost his grip on Rarity and let out a bellow that filled his mouth with water. His eyes found her, sinking into the darkest depths of the sea. He swam at her, his horn glowing. He pushed the water away and brought a bubble of air to the ocean floor.

He took her shoulders and shook her. “I do love you! I love you, Rarity! I can’t lose you! I’ll never lose you, do you hear me!?” He bared his fangs as he roared. “Never!”

All was quiet. Sombra looked around. He was no longer on the ocean floor, but in a dark cavern. The chill was still there, only now it came from the massive ice chunks that made up the room.

“My…” Sombra pulled his leg out of a snow drift. “My prison.”

“Yes,” a voice said. “Your once and future prison.”

A dark shadow descended. Sombra stood over Rarity and growled. “Who are you? What are you doing here?”

“Don’t worry so much,” the shadow said. It formed into the shape of two glowing, red-and-green eyes. “I’m here to help.”

Sombra looked down at Rarity, only to find that she was no longer there. “Where have you taken her!?”

“Look behind you.” The eyes pulled up in a sickening smile. “I think she’d find it fitting.”

Sombra spun. Rarity sat in the midst of a large crystal that grew from floor to ceiling. Her eyes were closed, as if she was asleep. Sombra ran up to the crystal and tapped at it. “Rarity, can you hear me?”

“Of course she can’t.” The eyes grew close. “She’s trapped, just like you were.” A chuckle. “Just like you will be.”

“You assume much, creature of shadows.” Sombra looked up. “What help do you think you can provide?”

“I can give you two a future.” The eyes sparkled. “A future where you and she can live in happiness. A future where you can rule together.”

“The king and the queen, side by side.” Sombra nodded, his eyes narrowing. “And the cost?”

The eyes also narrowed. “Did I say anything about ‘cost’?”

Sombra chuckled. “No.”

His horn glowed and an aura ensnared the eyes. The Crystal King threw them against the icy walls once, twice, thrice. A blast of pure malice struck the eyes, and they became little more than a dark blotch on the floor.

“Like I said, you assume much.” Sombra stomped over to the dark spot. “But so do I.”

He stomped on the mass as it transformed into a translucent, mask-like face. “Like I assume you are a Nightmare who thinks he can crawl into my dream and control my thoughts.”

The mask—a Phantasm—might have smirked. “Not control. Just influence.”

Sombra looked back at Rarity. “She’s not really there.” His eyes burned into the Phantasm. “This is a dream.”

“Give me some credit,” the Phantasm said. “This is a Nightmare.”

“Not anymore!” Sombra snarled. “Now it is your Nightmare!” His horn glowed, and shards of crystal ripped up from the floor. The Phantasm was caught between the points, unable to move. “Where are your fellows hiding!? What are you planning!?”

The Phantasm struggled for a moment before settling back. “We wish for nothing more than a kingdom of our own.”

“Save your pitiful excuses!” Sombra walked around the Phantasm. “You wish for a takeover, do you not? You are gathering an army!”

The Phantasm wiggled a little bit as it slid out from among the shards. “Nightmares are hard to come by in the wild.”

“Not if they’re gathered together in one prison!” Sombra knelt before the Phantasm and snorted. “So it will be: A whole army of possessed ponies as Nightmares. Enough to defeat even Celestia and Luna.”

“You know,” the Phantasm said, “it’ll be awfully difficult to convince Rarity that you love her while the princesses are on the throne.”

Sombra snarled. He fired a burst of darkness at the Phantasm and knocked it against the wall. “I’ll not be taken in by your words, creature!” He slammed a hoof against the Nightmare. “You will take me to your companions”—his horn glowed bright—“or I will destroy you utterly!”


The storm raged on within the Everfree Forest. Sombra clutched a cloak tight around his body. It covered him from head to tail, but even that could not keep out the rain. He surged forward through the undergrowth, following the white Phantasm as it bobbed among the trees.

“Keep your head down,” it said. “If you’re seen, the others will clobber you.”

Sombra growled. “Leave any overzealous watchdogs to me. You just need to get me to the hideaway.”

They came to a small clearing, crossed a creaky old bridge, and then they arrived.

The Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters sat dark against the backdrop of the storm. A lightning flash illuminated the ruined towers, tattered battlements, and crumbling walls. Sombra lifted his chin and marched inside.

He was tackled by what felt like a brick wall. A tan alicorn stallion, trailing sand from his mane, held Sombra against the ground with a hoof. The stallion snorted and pressed, as if he intended to crush the life out of Sombra.

Sombra blasted him back with a spark of telekinesis. He threw the stallion against the far wall and charged. His feet fell out from underneath him as the rocky ground shifted.

An alicorn mare, with a minty-green mane and coat, grinned down at his fallen body. “You should watch where you’re going around here.”

Sombra roared as he jumped to his feet. He lowered his horn at the mare and charged. He stopped just before reaching her, his momentum slowed by an onrush of wind. A blue alicorn stallion flapped his wings furiously, generating a whirlwind. Sombra’s hooves skidded against the stone as his wings caught the air and dragged him back.

He backed into the dusty stallion from before. The stallion wrapped his forelegs around Sombra and proceeded to crush his chest. Sombra growled, lit his horn, and teleported away.

He flashed back into existence among the rafters. He was about to send a fireball into the group of alicorns when he was kicked from behind. He tumbled towards the floor, and was caught by a turquoise alicorn mare. She flew to the ground, let Sombra drop, and then sat close by.

Sombra looked up. He wiped water from his eyes and blinked. He lay before a throne, occupied by an alicorn mare. She reclined against it with a great deal of familiarity, her cheek propped up against a hoof. Her coat was a dark purple, a shade just lighter than black. Her eyes were draconic, with a slit pupil in the center. Her mane was dark, save for the glowing, pink stripe just off-center.

Twilight Sparkle, Twilit Queen of the Nightmares, yawned in Sombra’s face. “You know, I’m actually surprised nopony’s recognized you before now. That magic is a dead giveaway.”

Sombra stood and scowled at the mare. “New wings, new pony.”

“Looks like.” She touched a hoof to her lips. “You’ve lost a lot of the dark spooky swirly magic that made you imposing in the first place.”

She sat up and lifted her snout into the air. “What brings you before the most powerful mage in Equestria?”

“You do, actually.” Sombra eyed the other alicorn Nightmares as they gathered around him. “It seems that my love’s happiness is directly tied to your freedom from these creatures.” He squinted at her. “I take it that you will not go willingly?”

Twilight slunk down the steps towards Sombra. “Please, is it that obvious?” She circled around him, examining him from front to back. She stood a head shorter than him, but she made up for it with an air of control. “I’ve got a thing I need to do. Rarity probably wouldn’t approve, but you know…”

She brought her mouth by his ear and hissed into it. “Not everypony can be happy all the time.”

A dark cloud rose up beside the throne as Twilight ascended the steps. A beak, wings, and glowing eyes took shape. “My Queen,” Shadowfright said, “what are we going to do with this… thing?”

“It depends.” Twilight reclined on the throne and smirked. “Nightmare Dust?”

Lightning Dust trotted up beside the throne. Twilight nodded to the sky. “Make sure he wasn’t followed.”

Lightning Dust left in a flash.

Twilight crossed her forelegs. “So, you said that Rarity’s happiness is tied to me, right?”

Sombra nodded cautiously.

Twilight grinned. “Would you say that your happiness is tied to hers?”

Sombra snarled. “You dare to—?”

“I dare a whole heck of a lot.” Twilight craned her neck to look at Shadowfright. “Don’t I?”

Shadowfright grinned. “She really does.”

“I dare to insinuate that you”—she pointed at Sombra—“aren’t really here for her good. You’re here to ease your own conscience.” She rested her forelegs on the throne’s armrests and tilted her head to the side. “How’s that going for you?”

“I’m here to get you out of captivity,” Sombra growled. “Of Nightmare design or your own.”

“Sweet of you.” Twilight crossed her rear legs and tapped her forehooves together. “What about your captivity?”

Sombra blinked. “What?”

“Gosh, are all stallions this thick?” She looked behind Sombra’s shoulders. “No offence, Nightmare Storm, Nightmare Apple.”

Soarin and Braeburn shrugged. Lyra Heartstrings snickered.

“Anyway,” Twilight continued. “Your captivity here in Equestria. Hiding who you really are, Sombra? That’s gotta be hard. Unable to just let loose!” Her horn glowed, and a pillar that had stood for ages against the weather crumbled into dust. “You need to rule, I can see it in your eyes.”

Sombra looked down at the ground. “Rule. What rule have I without her?”

Twilight sniffed and wiped her eye. “That has got to be”—she grinned—“the sappiest thing I’ve ever heard. You really are a thousand years displaced in time, aren’t you?”

She tilted her head and looked up, as if deep in thought. “Here’s where we stand, Sombra.” She looked down at him and spread her wings. “You can join us, help the Nightmares get a home of their own…” She waved a hoof. “And we can give you a little kingdom, too. Maybe someplace like Appleoosa. Or Hollow Shades! I hear you like it up there. Real dark and spooky.”

A chill ran down Sombra’s spine as the other Nightmares closed in. “Or,” Twilight said, “we can just beat you to a pulp right here, right now.”

Soarin and Braeburn each grabbed one of Sombra’s forelegs. Twilight smiled happily. “So, what’s it gonna be?”

Sombra’s horn glowed. He pushed the two stallions back, taking care to launch Braeburn on top of Lyra. He leaped into the air on beating wings, his horn glowing. “I’ll drag you back if I have to!”

Twilight sighed and shook her head. “Oh, you big dummy.”

She bolted into the air and collided with Sombra’s stomach. He felt the wind get knocked out of him as her hooves drove him higher into the air. He rolled away from her and dove towards the ground. He found his downward progress halted by a purple glow that encased his entire body. He was launched back up towards the ceiling. His back impacted a rafter and kept on going, his body having broken the stone into dust.

He was lifted up beside the hovering Twilight Sparkle. She scowled at him. “Did you miss the part—”

She slammed him against a wall and cracks spider-webbed across it.

“—where I said I was—”

He shot into the ancient ceiling, his horn leaving a deep scrape on it before he punched through to the outside. He groaned and clutched at his head as the storm raged around him. He opened his eyes and met Twilight’s violet ones. He gasped at the venom they directed his way, and at the awesome power behind them.

“—the most powerful mage in Equestria!?”

She flew around him as she held him steady with her mighty telekinetic grip. “So what’s it gonna be? Join us and rule, or become my throw rug?” She smirked. “Hay, if you choose that last one, I can just beat you every day. Not a bad deal.”

She let him drop. His wings flapped uselessly at his sides as he tumbled through his own personal Sombra-sized hole. She caught him again just before he hit the floor, and then set him gently on the ground.

“Think of it this way,” Twilight said. She touched down beside him and stuck a hoof on his chest. “You’re still helping Rarity, just in a more roundabout way. I’ll be free of my obligations just as soon as Tartarus is dust.” She leaned next to his ear and whispered into it. “You’re cool with that, aren’t you?”

Sombra stood and pushed back his cape. The two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala fell out. Twilight snatched them up before he could speak. She stared at them for a moment before a grin spread across her face.

“Guess what guys!?” She held the tickets up and shouted into the castle. “I’ve just got our audience with the princess!”

Hoots and howls issued forth from the bowels of the ruined castle. Sombra felt another shiver run up and down his spine as Nightmares spewed forth, their dark, ragged bodies forming out of shadows or phasing through walls. The Nightmare-ified alicorns stood proud at the face of the Nightmares, their Twilit Queen taking point.

Sombra bumped into the steps that led to the throne. He looked back and saw Shadowfright smiling down at him. “Well?” the Nightmare said, “what’s your answer?”

Sombra swallowed the lump in his throat and spoke.


Rarity waited outside her shop, much as she had for the past hour. Spike rested his hand on her back, sending what little comfort her way that he could. Mandible trotted up, his face wrinkled with a frown.

“So,” the changeling said, “today’s your day to go?”

Rarity nodded.

“And…” Mandible sat beside her and Spike. “And you’re just waiting on the others?”

She nodded again.

“So…” He looked around. “Where’s Dark Shadow Lightning?”

Rarity shook her head. “He said he’d be there for me.”

Pinkie galloped up to Carousel Boutique, with Redheart and Vinyl Scratch trailing along behind her. “Come on! Flash is already at the train station! We’ve got to leave!”

Rarity chewed her bottom lip. “Can’t we wait just five more—”

“Rarity”—Pinkie cupped Rarity’s cheeks in her hooves—“we have to go. Now.”

With Spike on her back, Rarity made her way down the road. A hesitant cough caught her ears. “H-hay…”

Mandible walked beside her, his head lowered. “Um, since you’re, um, one stallion short… Mind if I tag along?” He rubbed the back of his neck. “I’d kinda, you know, like to help in any way I can. I mean, if I even can help.”

Rarity gave one last glance around early-morning Ponyville. A cool wind blew through her mane as she nodded. “I wouldn’t mind in the slightest. Thank you, Mandible.”

“Anytime, Miss Rarity!” The changeling said with a bright smile. “That’s me, just helpful little Mandible!”

They walked into the morning mist, towards the train station. From there, they would go to the zeppelin port.

And then, Tartarus.

Author's Note:

That chapter title is despicably nerdy, but it fits.