• Published 23rd Oct 2013
  • 821 Views, 27 Comments

Fifty-Three Pickup - blowngasket



(Humanized Ponies Warning) No more threats against Equestria. No more mob bosses and demons and psychotic possible future brother in laws. Join the members of T.E.S.T as they finally try to have an actual vacation. It should be simple, right?

  • ...
7
 27
 821

Just another Nigh Drinkin

Just another Nigh Drinkin

“Are ya sure about this, Twi?” Catacomb asked, the couple walking down the well-lit pathway, the sky sparkling and cloud free.

“I know that those other times were just flukes. I highly doubt every time you try and take me out drinking something catastrophic will happen.” Twilight said, chuckling lightly.

“And I got yer backs, should something come up.” Applejack said, walking close behind the two. After some convincing, Catacomb succeeded in getting Twilight to join him at the bar. Applejack, being a surprisingly frequent bar goer as well, added herself into the group, having met halfway, to try and loosen up herself, the spring harvest having just come to an end. Catacomb just wanted to have a drink without another bar being demolished. Anymore and he doubted that any bar would let him in.

“Glad to know, but I highly doubt anything is going to happen today.” Twilight said, smiling happily.

---------- ---------- ----------

“Heya Jim.” Both Applejack and Catacomb said to the bartender, taking a seat at the bar. He was a decent looking middle aged man, with short black hair, and wearing an all-black ensemble of dress pants and a tee shirt. It wasn’t as busy at it usually was, the weekend crowd restricted to what seemed like regulars today. Twilight sat between the two, still incapable of understanding what it was that made places like this enjoyable. Catacomb, she could understand. She understood to stop questioning the unintelligent things he does, as that is part of his unique charm. Applejack, though, was a different story. Looking at her, and her honest living and wholesome family, you could never guess that she was one of the regulars as well.

“AJ, Captain Destructo, good to see you two again.” Jim said jokingly, sticking a shot glass in front of the two. He took out a bottle of whiskey and left it on the counter, before turning towards Twilight. “Hmm, Twilight Sparkle, the librarian, right?” Jim asked.

“Umm…yes. That is me.” Twilight answered, somewhat bashfully.

“Nice to meet you.” Jim said politely. He slid over to Catacomb, quietly whispering into his ear. He nodded to the bartender soon after he was finished, turning back to Twilight. “Well, what can I get for you then?”

“I’ll just have what my friends are having.” Twilight responded. Both Applejack and Catacomb turned to look at each other, sharing and understanding grin. Jim nodded, though slightly uneasy, has he took out a third shot glass.

“Are you sure?” Jim asked, setting the glass down in front of her. “We have much weaker stuff.”

“I am quite sure I can handle myself. They are quite capable.” Twilight said, pointing to her two friends.

“Twi, ya do realize that me and Cata here have built up a tolerance to the stuff, right?” Applejack said, opening the bottle and pouring a glass for herself. She slid the bottle casually towards the open hand of Catacomb, who then proceeded to pour his own.

“I say let her enjoy herself.” Catacomb added in. “If she wants to try the good stuff, I say let her. No harm in doing so. I am going to make sure she gets home safely no matter what.” He slid the bottle back across the counter, and into the open hand of Applejack. Her glass was empty, even though it was just full a few seconds ago.

“That’s what I am afraid of. I don’t want to hear about how you went and took advantage of her while she was as drunk as a skunk.” Applejack said bitterly, sliding the bottle back towards the awaiting hand of Catacomb. It was intercepted by Twilight, however, who proceeded to pour her own glass.

“Applejack, though I do appreciate you looking out for me, I am a grown woman.” Twilight stared down into the brown liquid, swirling it around nervously. It was definitely stronger than her first drink, and she could tell that by the smell alone. Catacomb grabbed the bottle and refilled his own glass, watching Twilight eagerly. With once quick gulp, the liquid was gone, leaving Twilight coughing repeatedly, grabbing at her throat.

“Twilight, ya alright there?” Applejack asked. Catacomb looked over at Twilight, waiting for the verdict on the stuff. A few more seconds passed, Twilights coughing declined to escalate breathing.

“You…you two actually drink that?!” The inexperienced drinker stared at the two, bewildered. Catacomb slid the bottle over to Applejack, and when she filled her glass up, they both swallowed the toxic brew at the same time, slamming the glass back onto the counter top. Grabbing the bottle, she began to pour herself another glass.

“Well, gotta say I’m surprised with ya, Twilight.” Applejack said, watching Twilight stare at the venom in her shot glass. Taking the bottle, Catacomb poured himself another glass, and passed the booze to the cowgirl, who did the same.

“Well, if we are gonna do this, let’s do it right.” Catacomb said, grinning. “To a long lasting friendship!” Catacomb raised his glass into the air.

“To friendship!” Applejack said, repeating his actions. Twilight looked at the two.

“To friendship!” Twilight said, smiling nervously. They all clinked their glasses together before downing the next shot.

---------- ---------- ----------

The fairly large bottle of whiskey was gone, though the effect that it had still lingered. Generally capable of splitting a bottle between just the two of them, Applejack and Catacomb were well off, since they didn’t drink nearly as much as they usually do. Twilight, though, would have definitely been better off sticking to fruity little drinks with the paper umbrellas. Twilight was by no means a mean drunk, thankfully. But she had succumb to the green eyed monster much more easily. This point arose from her glares at the large group of winged women coming in to celebrate for a bachelorette party, sending flirty singles to her boyfriend.

“Oh for the love of...” Catacomb said, staring around the room. This was going to easily be one of those incredibly painful days, not including what Twilight might do to him. “Of all the days, and of all the rottenly magnificent luck.”

“Applejack!” A voice from within a large crowd of women, all dressed quite provocatively, called for the smirking woman. Catacomb stared, one of them walking up to her. “I am glad you made it, AJ.”

“Of course, Blossomforth. Not every day you get to celebrate yer kin getting married. Hope you don’t mind I started the party early for myself.” Applejack said to the brightly colored woman behind him. She was definitely good looking, and Catacomb really had to try and avoid looking at that neck length, delicious looking two tone hair, a bright magenta and green, and the sexy red dress she was wearing. Catacomb groaned, planting his head against the counter. Even though he didn’t exactly want to grab attention to himself, he was doing a lousy job.

“Say, who is that with you?” The one named Blossomforth said, Catacomb refusing to raise his head to confirm or deny being pointed at.

“Hey Cata. Why don’t ya introduce yerself.” Applejack said to the nervous man. Twilight, her stare like sharp daggers, watched the women carefully, making sure she didn’t try anything with her boyfriend. Staring between the three women, Catacomb knew that this wasn’t going to be an easy situation to deal with. He took a deep breath and turned his stool to look at the inquiring woman.

“Hello there. Name’s Catacomb.” He responded with a friendly wave. His eyeballs shifted back between the snickering Applejack, who seemed to know full well what he was going through, and his inebriated girlfriend, who was likely to add arson to her permanent record should this encounter go badly.

“Blossomforth…say, aren’t you that man who was at that outdoor party a couple weeks back?” She asked, Catacomb recalling the incident vividly. He shrugged, neither confirming nor denying her remark. “And you’re Twilight Sparkle?” Blossomforth asked curiously, not expecting to see her at a place like this.

“Mine…” Twilight said with a low rumble. Catacomb began to panic, not wanting this to break out into a catfight. He stopped thinking for a second, wondering if he should second guess his own decision. On one hand, things could get pretty bad, and Twilight would probably be incapable of forgiving herself for her actions, even if she wasn’t all there. On the other hand…a catfight. No more really needs to be said about such a spectacle that any hot blooded male wished to witness in full at least once in their lives. It was the classic devil one on shoulder angel on the other kind of choice. It was going to be his defining moment as a boyfriend, and he knew exactly what to do. The end all be all of this kind of situation, the perfect way to defuse it. He stood up on his stool, placing his fingers into his mouth and whistling loudly. As all eyes went on him, he shouted the words that would make everything all better.

“Next round is on me!” Catacomb yelled out, earning a loud cheer from everyone, including Twilight, even if she doesn’t need any more alcohol. If there is anything that can diffuse a tense situation, it is the promise of free booze. Catacomb, though smiling, cried for his already diminished supply of cash, having just placed an expensive order for a replacement to his broken weapon. He could only hope that Twilight would be able to appreciate his multiple sacrifices on behalf of her. Forking over the cash as the bartender gladly filled shot glasses for everyone in the room, Catacomb sat down, surrounded by everyone present. It was going well until another girl from the mentioned party casually wrapped her arm around him.

“Hey there, sexy.” The blond said, completely oblivious to the increase of red on Twilight’s face. “Our special guest hasn’t arrived yet, so why don’t you be our entertainment for the evening. I can make it worth your while…”

“Light *hic* ning!” A yell came from beside Catacomb, and a rogue bolt of pure electricity struck the ground next to the woman. She jumped back, scowling angrily as Twilight got up from her seat, wobbling slightly. “Keep your filthy mitts of my *hic* Catipoo!” Catacomb sat there horrified, mostly because of the attack, but the nickname was pretty bad too.

“Really? You think you can actually handle a man like that?” The angry blond retorted, chuckling viciously.

“Cloud Kicker, please don’t cause any trouble.” Blossomforth said, getting between the two angry women.

“She tried to fry me!” Cloud Kicker commented.

“I hit one of ya, so *hic* don’t think I can’t hit another.” Twilight said, the obvious effects of overdrinking clouding her judgment. Catacomb fought the urge to laugh at the cute phrase, instead trying to figure out how to get out of this mess. Unfortunately, all plausible options had been exhausted, and Catacomb did not want to blow up any more bars this year. He looked to Applejack for advice, but apparently, whether by alcohol or some sort of spite, she only proceeded to laugh at his difficult situation.

If it was gonna happen, he might as well enjoy it. He tried, he failed, and hopefully enough clothing will get shredded to make the results worth it. Unfortunately, fate wouldn't even offer him that. The bar door opened, Rainbow Dash entering into the bar with a reluctant looking Ark. Everyone stopped and stared, Catacomb using the momentary distraction to grab Twilight and get the hell out of there. She flailed and complained, but was easily silenced and made relatively complacent with a kiss. He booked it out the emergency exit, this being a legitimate emergency to him anyways.

Ark stood in the doorway, staring at the group of girls. Rainbow slapped him across the back, grinning with triumph. “See? I told ya I was best friends with him.” She proudly exclaimed, looking towards Ark. When she noticed his face, she became baffled by his expression. Hidden beneath his hood, his eyes were wide and he was starting to sweat profusely, even shaking somewhat. If she didn’t know better, she could say he was actually scared. “Hey Ark, buddy. You doing ok?”

As the group of over excited women quickly came towards him, he gulped. Before he took off in the opposite direction, Rainbow could have sworn she heard him say something she found kind of odd.

---------- ---------- ----------

Catacomb walked into the quiet library, a giggling Twilight clinging to his arm. He slowly made his way up the stairs, making sure Twilight wouldn’t fall. “Thank you for the fun night, Cata. Why don’t *hic* we make it a memorable one.” She said, her tone somewhat low and sultry. Silently, Catacomb lead her to her bed, laying her down in it.

“As much as it kills me to say this…and it really freakin kills me to say this, but I don’t think our first time should be like this.” Twilight stared at him, pouting cutely. “I will, however stay with you, so no funny business.” Catacomb said, getting in next to her. She chuckled and cuddled up against him, falling asleep within a minute. Catacomb sighed, having successfully dodged that bullet. “If anyone does asked, however, we did it twice. I gotta reputation to uphold.” He said to the sleeping Twilight, even knowing she probably didn’t hear him. Twilight was most likely going to need help in the morning, the first hangover always a doozy. He slowly fell asleep in his lover’s embrace, happy how everything turned out, despite the rocky start and the terrifying middle.

---------- ---------- ----------

“Rainbow Dash?” Applejack asked, the bar having suddenly been cleared out. Even Jim was somewhat stunned by the disappearance of the crowd. “What in tarnation’s just happened?”

Rainbow quickly downed a shot, not letting her trip to the bar go to waste. She knew her limits and had to fly home safely, but it didn’t stop her from letting loose after a hard day of work. She stared at the glass and chuckled. “I honestly don’t know. They asked for him to help celebrate Flurry’s getting married thing. Cloud Kicker told me about it, having heard about our epic adventures together.”

“Epic adventures?” Applejack asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Okay, I may have exaggerated them a little, but she didn’t believe me that I knew him. So I came here with him to prove her wrong. Then…well only Ark can tell you the rest, and I highly doubt you’re getting more than five words outta him. He did say something before he left, something like…ummm I think he said ‘not again.”