• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 1,857 Views, 49 Comments

Feather of Days Past ~ The Old and New - Dennet



Big Mac's worst week reminds him of a few important things in life.

  • ...
2
 49
 1,857

Aileron Leap

Chapter II

The force of Big Macintosh's hooves almost splintered the ground as he galloped through the forest. At first, he tried his best avoiding the branches and the wild roots, but as the presence of dread chasing him grew closer, he figured he was only wasting his strength.

He busted forcefully through another overgrowth, finding himself over a cliff on the edge of the dark grove. It looked as if some sort of a great blade cleaved the ground, splitting it perfectly in two. Before him was only darkness. A perfect, pitch-black abyss. It stretched downwards endlessly.

He felt the howl of wind blowing against the cold rock. That, and another sound he'd rather not. It resembled a gnawing mouth, thick saliva of a hungering beast audibly dripping down. He could easily turn around and see exactly what was chasing him, but his fear had overwhelmed him.

With a crack of a nearby tree, he knew that the creature was much too close. He could feel its warm breath on his back. Any moment now his end would come.

He jumped, and began falling. There was no end to the steep block of rock he had jumped off, as he accelerated faster and faster. Macintosh started flailing his hooves around. Deep, primal fear overtook him. He screame—

THUD

Book after book fell on his tired, restless back as his cabinet almost emptied itself on him. His head sprung from under the impressive pile of literature as Mac glanced around his room, one eye half-closed from the dreamy daze.

It was very much plain. A large, simple bed sat directly underneath the window. It was easily big enough to contain two ponies, perhaps more would they willing to slightly squeeze together. Nothing less for a stallion as large as himself. The southern wall had been essentially replaced by chiselled, wooden cabinets filled to brim with various books on a plethora of different subjects. He never had time to finish many of them, shame.

The opposite side of the room was organised around a single dresser. A portrait of his family stood on top of it, nestled in a lovely frame recently hoof-fixed by Applebloom herself. The entire piece of furniture was cut with apparent love, apples and flowery motived gliding along it's green-red side. A small detail, easily overlooked by strangers, held one more secret in Mac's room. Hiding behind a slightly unhinged plank on the wall was his, or rather, her little toy. He never got around to returning that thing. As much as he was taught to respect the property of others, something inside that ragged figure forbid him from letting it go. He was still unnerved each time he passed a taught on the matter.

Mac noticed the earliest beam of dawn striking through the darkness inside his room. He should be up in the kitchen preparing food for himself and Applejack in roughly fifteen minutes.

"Haystacks," the large red stallion, alone, audibly berated himself.

Better get down to cleaning this mess.

__________________________________________________________

"Howdy brother," was the first thing he heard from the kitchen. As much as he enjoyed his sister's voice, today he found her volume simply unbearable. Oh, how one night can change a pony.

"How was th' night?" she turned around, beaming a lively smile. She was dressed in his favourite apron, her hat hanged on the chair near the doorway he just stepped through.

Macintosh simply shrugged his brow, gently shaking his head as he approached the stove. He didn't want to narrate his silly nightmare nor really go into detail about his aching back. He felt bad, and that was all that she would need to know.

His reaction was quickly corrected by a firm rear hoof to his flank. This vexed him, making the stallion glare at Applejack far harsher than he ever did before.

"...'s was a bad night," she stepped slightly to the side, her goofy smile turning into a worried glance.

" 's was, yeah. Mah back hurts, Ah woke up every hour or so and Ah crashed mah bookcase," he spoke. Usually, Mac found words taking too much time or just not enough to convey the message. At least that's what he told himself all the time. The situation was largely different in the Apple house. He still was the quietest pony by a long shot, but compared to his interactions with citizens of Ponyville, he was almost a chatterbox.

"That's why ye've been late for breakfast, huh?"

"Eeyup. Now, Applejack, where did ye put all the—"

"In the stove, already roasting."

"And—"

"Over there, in 'bout five minutes."

"Ah've been that late?"

"...eee-yup!" she replied, mocking his usual catchphrase.

"Haystacks."

Macintosh was definitely angry this morning. Mostly at himself, no less. He should have refused that drink yesterday. Celestia knows what was in that concoction. He was also late to his usual chores. He was always the one to cook breakfast. Every day.

Of course Applejack knew how to cook just as well, maybe even better, but his early-day meals were customary.

He sat himself on the chair, pulling one back for his sister as soon as she would be done garnishing the dishes. Granny Smith and Applebloom were still deep asleep. They wouldn't wake up for the next two hours or so. Even then, the old mare would simply relocate to her rocking chair while his little sis would dash to school, late as always.

The sun was much higher now, it's warm rays pleasing to the stallion's skin. He was resilient, but today he swore he could simply doze off right here and now. While the warmth of his bed had been left behind in due haste, Macintosh found comfort in the wooden chair underneath his flank. He spread his front legs on the table, placing his muzzle between them.

Just a minute...

A plate full of apple pancakes landed straight before his nose, their smell intoxicating. Applejack quickly sat herself with her own meal.

"Sho, what ah've whe ghot tho-dho thodhay aht th' farm, humph?" she went straight to the topic at hand.

"Applejack! Yer eatin'," Mac was quick to discipline his sister. He wasn't personally fond of all the royal fru-fru business, but even a farmer like himself should know his manners. And she was one of the few ponies to defy even the most basic etiquette, much to his annoyance. Sometimes, he wondered if she was just as rambunctious away from home.

His sister shot him a most venomous glance, finishing the bite in silence.

"Ah... so, what have we got to-do today at th' farm?" her question repeated now with an empty mouth.

"Well, ye've gotta buck half of the Red Delicious field, 's ready for harvest about now. Ah'll have to check the barn for ol' worn tools and haul them to the smithy. Then we'll have to plough and fertilize th' souther field. Ye and me both," he spoke slowly, with a most content look on his face between each mouthful of pancake.

"And what about this month's paperwork. Ye were supposed'ta finish it yesterday, Mac."

"Applebuckin' hay—"

"Big Macintosh! Watch yer tongue!" it was Applejack's turn to discipline her brother. She had all the right to, rarely did he throw himself off the deep end like that. The horrible start of the day had finally begun taking its toll on the red stallion.

"Ah'm sorry sis."

They spent the rest of their breakfast in questionable silence.

__________________________________________________________

The weight of his yoke was something reassuring. When he was smaller, he had felt it burden his back each day for a good year or so, perhaps more. Then, as he grew and worked on the farm, he became accustomed to that load. Strangely enough, as he felt it less and less he began questioning himself more and more. His body, becoming bigger with each passing night, soon started provoking stares from the few ponies that visited the farm. At first those strangers praised his parents for rising a "healthy young stallion". Later on, kind remarks turned into glances of worry. He was too young to understand back then, though he knew right away that he was not truly welcome outside his home. He started asking himself - just what was he becoming, and just how strong was he?

Half of that answer was given to him back at the day when he almost broke Applejack's spine when they were wrestling in the mud after a childish dispute. It was the last time the two would ever go at each other to such degree.

The other half arrived today, wrapped in a neat envelope. Derpy was always stalwart in her daily mail route, and never had she missed a single message. He opened the mailbox on his way to the barn and shifted his mouth in search of news. The semaphore indicated something of importance. Finally, having to resort to using his tongue, he felt the texture of paper. With a quick clinch, he pulled the letter out.

To Macintosh Apple

The only mail addressed specifically to him was either tax correction (or praise for him correcting them) or another daily dose of advertisements for Playpony magazine. Little shame of his back in the early days when cousin Braeburn used to visit much more often. For some reason, they never stopped bothering him with subscription offers, so Mac was sure to arrive and gather the mail as the only pony on the Acres. It was a thing of honour.

And this mail was neither.

He opened it reluctantly, smelling another misfortune heading his way at supersonic speeds.

Dear Macintosh Apple

I have heard about your most unfortunate incident with Miss Cheerilee and wish you

the very best. Hopefully, you will return to your health as soon as possible.

It is in my, no, Ponyville's interest to see our number one apple supplier to be strong

on his hooves at all times. I am sure Mayor Mare will be more than willing to supply

the Acres with any financial donations required to get the business up to speed.

Even from a one-day's mishap.

However, I am writing to you on a different occasion.

Big Mac's ears instantly dropped down from this point onwards.

No matter how drunk, out-of-your mind or poisoned you were back in the day, the problem

of my DWELLING SUDDENLY APPEARING ON THE OTHER END OF PONYVILLE

STILL STANDS. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU DID THAT, BUT I HAVE WITNESSES

CLAIM TO MY SIGHTINGS, AND DEMAND YOU IMMEDIATELY TAKE THE ACTION

IN YOUR HOOVES. BY CELESTIA, IF MY HOUSE DOES NOT APPEAR WHERE IT STOOD

BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK, I WILL HAVE YOUR HEAD IN THE CANTERLOT COURT.

I am eagerly looking forward to your reply.

~ Berry Punch

All the stallion could do is gulp in silence. He wasn't a slow thinker. On the contrary, his most common problem was that he thought too fast and too efficiently. And too much. Yet, this letter made the gears in his brain simply stop.

"Ah... did WHAT?!" a forceful bellow escaped his lungs as the pieces fell to their correct places.

He knew he was strong. Strong enough to plough through the fields all day without any strain at all. Unless the plough was broken. In which case he would break it down into scrap metal completely.

But... he apparently had moved a building. A real, two-story Ponyville building. He vaguely remembered how a normal house looked back in town. And he had managed to simply force it out of its foundations. With but a pull.

What.

It took him almost a minute to regain inner composure, as he stood there with his mouth half-open, simply gazing into empty space.

Mac looked down on his hooves, rising one and turning it slightly. In a long time, he was once again horrified of himself.

"Haystacks."

__________________________________________________________

Apple bucking was something that came to Macintosh naturally. Maybe it was his large build or ages of experience, or maybe even his special talent. He hadn't really paid it any mind whatsoever. It was another chore, and it had to be done. There really was not much philosophy to it.

He was, without a doubt, better at it than Applejack. Each tree took only a little bit of time to clear out. First, Mac would measure it's resistance. He would then gently tap it with his hind hoof and enjoy the bountiful harvest. Lugging back the baskets was another thing, however.

The sun finally dawned over the horizon, displaying it's magnificence in all its glory. He was glad it did, as it became too warm to enjoy a little sleep. Maybe in the shade, but he had no time to stop and try his theory. Applebloom raced out of the house, half-eaten apple fritter bouncing up and down from her mouth as she dashed over to Ponyville. She only managed to mumble something vaguely resembling their names as she almost tripped herself waving over to her siblings.

Granny Smith peeked from the house exactly once, calling Applejack and Macintosh over for some refreshments in the middle of their field work. It wasn't anything special, just normal water and a hoof-polished apple. Granny wasn't too busy today, she had time to spare for now. She did promise to help Caramel and his relatives work on a new recipe involving apples in the evening, and knowing just how work goes in that household, she probably wouldn't been seen at the Acres for another day or two.

Mac, in his breaks between one tree and another, would gaze at the sky and either count the clouds or peer at the sun's position, estimating the hour. It kept his mind busy. That, and chewing on his hay stalk.

Life is wonderful, isn't it?

Then again, ever since the Flim-Flam Fiasco, as he liked to call it, he wondered to himself. Maybe they were really right. To a reasonable degree, of course. The Acres were making good business as usual, but the fact they were rather stagnant was quite apparent.

Maybe it is time to really expand? Hire some ponies, show them the ropes. Possibly request to expand the farm over Everfree a little bit more?

Not that he was unsatisfied with their earnings, but an extra bit surely wouldn't hurt. Even more so during the winter season.

By Celestia, he was lapsing into those thoughts again. Back to bucking. If he hurried the last dozen trees he would be able to take a slightly longer break than usual while Applejack catches up on her quota.

"Ahm home!" came a familiar shriek. The little filly came early, Mac thought to himself as he gave the last tree in his share a good hit. One of the apples found its unfortunate way on his head, prompting the farmpony to glare at the flora.

Oh, so the sun had moved that much already. Applebloom wasn't early at all, it was the usual hour for her to come back from school and wreck havoc over at home.

Applejack was still in the middle of her field, and he already lugged the last batch of apples on the cart. And with his youngest sister ransacking the farm, all of his hopes for some rest quickly died down. He still dreaded the idea of the little filly asking him to help her with her mathematics homework. Curses, he was so easy to play. Just a single glance from her and he was stuck solving all of her problems right off the bat. No wonder her grades were slowly hitting the new deep.

He sighed. Not much to do then. With a quick thought Mac decided to drop down in the shade and wait for his sister to finish her section. He slowly heaved himself to his usual resting spot, situated right underneath a rather impressive tree. From this angle, he would have a good vantage point for both Applejack's chores and Applebloom's machinations.

Speaking of the devil, a bright-red tail quickly hid itself inside the barn.

What was she looking for, that filly? He decided it was better to investigate, and preferably with due haste. Applejack shared his look of concern as they noticed each other across the field. She simply nodded and beckoned her head to the door. He replied with a single tap of his hoof before heading around the barn.

"Howdy Brother," Applebloom greeted him as she walked out of the barn nonchalantly. She was carrying a hammer sticking out of one of her saddlebags, and he could hear the clattering of nails in the other.

For once she didn't break anything.

Mac slightly berated himself for anticipating the worst so easily. She was a troublemaker, no doubt, but she was also an Apple. Credit of doubt was the least he could give her. Relieved, he turned around and nodded to Applejack, who shared a sigh.

In fact, she made considerable progress while he was busy checking up on Appleblom. At this rate she would be a minute or two before the two could begin fertilizing the last field. He should check out his plough and perhaps fasten it already. The sooner he got to it the better, there was still much to do today.

With the next step of his hoof, he heard something metallic tapping against a surface. And then something snapped, landing against the barn wall with an audible smack. Mac turned around and noticed a cart, filled to brim with hammers, nails, sickles and other tools rolling down the hill out of the barn.

Haystacks! They were supposed to organise them and put them in place. Not pile them up in one place and call it a day. Curses, curses, curses!

Stupidly enough, Mac was too busy berating himself, again, to notice that the cart was headed straight for little Applebloom. The filly was apparently absorbed in studying how the nails were embedded in the cross-sections of the fence below.

Without thinking much more, he hit the ground and galloped straight after the cart, hoping to possibly peg it out of the way. Pieces of dirt began flying as his strong hooves beat against the ground.

"Applebloom! Appleblom, watch out!', shrieks of terrified Applejack reached his ears as he dashed with all his strength.

No use.

Even though he was running downhill, the cart was loaded enough to make it go just a little faster than Macintosh. The two were practically moving at the same speeds, and the object had a good few meters advantage over the red stallion. He didn't really waste time and energy shouting warnings. Instead, he focused solely on running. Plans and calculations were going through his head at an incredible rate. Different alternatives, possible routes for the situation to solve itself. Probability calculus in regards to the tools falling out and slowing the cart, even by the tiniest silver.

It all came out in negatives.

His little sister only just now realised her situation, turning around with a sour expression on her face.

"Geeze Applejack. Can't Ah even do some... ah...aaEEEH!" the filly screamed seeing the lump of wood and metal heading her way at break-neck speeds. She could possibly jump to the side, yet it was evident she was petrified with fear. Even blinking would be a wonder at her current state.

He really pumped everything into his hooves. He really did. Never had he ran as fast as now. Adrenaline was just making it worse by stretching time inside his mind. All he could think of what how he won't make it. Whatever plan he thought of ended in failure.

No, it's useless. But can't give up.

Giving up right now would be the most horrible thing to do. Even if logic said it's all useless, he would still do his best to act.

No. Macintosh, just shut up. Run, don't think.

Run.

Mac closed his eyes, trashing his head to the side lightly. He stopped thinking, a rare occurrence. If there was anything left to do, it was to pray. Pray for a miracle. Celestia help them.

He jumped, foolishly thinking it would help at all.

__________________________________________________________

The overloaded cart crashed spectacularly against the white wooden fence, sending splinters and broken planks flying into the air. In fact, the wagon itself managed to achieve some flight time as it descended into the small ravine at most impressive speeds. Another loud sound signified just how much valuable equipment had been sent to the other side.

Still shaking and throbbing, Macintosh opened his eyes. Everything was blurry from having shut them so tight. That, and tears. Something was tugging against his head. Quickly, he noticed strands of bright-red waggling before his eyes. He opened his mouth as the little filly dropped down on the ground, just as shocked as he.

Finally, Mac saw that he managed to dig himself quite deep into the ground with his hooves. He had slid across the field, apparently. He didn't really have time to look around what happened as another strike hit his chest.

"Thank ya Big Mac. Thank ya, ye're the bestest brother ever!!" Applebloom was basically crying her not-so-little eyes out into his coat. Something in him ticked as a warm flush rushed over his entire body. Tears, no longer from exhaustion, began forming in the corner of his eyes.

"There there, sugarcube," he managed to mutter as he gently pat the little pony on her head, letting her drop down and simply cuddle against his other leg. He hadn't seen Applebloom so... emotional since ages. The fact his little sister is safe made him more than happy. He could literally drop everything right now just to stay with her for a little longer. Macintosh beamed a large yet somehow subdued smile and once again closed his eyes in a nod, letting a single tear shed down across his cheek.

He felt the pressure on his leg disappear. Instinctively, he gave the filly another pat.

"Alright sugarcube, let's tell sis ye're all fine," He was rapidly approaching his daily record of words per minute.

"Uhm... am...hh m...," the filly stammered, unable to form a coherent response. Mac raised an eyebrow in response to the peculiar show.

"What is it, sugarcube?" he asked inquisitively, gently uprooting himself from the four mounds he made. No response came from Applebloom, her jaw firmly planted into the rich Acre soil. This confused the stallion to no end. Maybe she got another strange idea coming through her head? Who knows. He turned around, waving his hoof to Applejack, trying to signal that all is fine.

He swore that that expression unnerved him more than anything. The older sister, mimicking little Applebloom, also unhinged her mouth to dangerous levels. She stood there, dumbstruck, with a cart full of apples still fastened to her back.

Mac shrugged, bending his head slightly to gently tip a stray feather on his wing with his muzzle. He hadn't done anything special. She would've done the same thing were she in his place. Of course, this means their daily chores would be altered significantly, putting away the field fertilization for tomorrow as ne—

My what?

The stallion's eyes opened themselves fully in absolute bewilderment. He saw something that wasn't there before. Of that he was quite sure. There, touching his very face, was a large and imposing mass of red feathers, as deep and vibrant as his coat. Wings. Not those magical gossamer and morning dew enchanted wings. Not a mechanical, steam-powered contraptions he read books about.

Real. Pegasus. Wings.

Surely he was dreaming. Or maybe he had hit his head against the ground when swooping up Applebloo—

Swooping.

The sudden acceleration, the trails in the ground from his hooves. Suddenly, it all made sense. Or rather, it tried making little less confusion.

He tried wrapping his head around this, some notion of him still calling out the sheer ridiculousness of the whole situation. He had to silence it somehow. And he knew just the way.

Instinctively, he flapped his wings.

His entire body quickly got covered with ice-cold sweat. He felt his muscles, those he never used before, move to facilitate motion. He could feel the new appendages move through the air. He never experienced something like the before.

Before he knew it, the stallion's face turned to resemble those of his sisters. The cold in his body intensified, he felt blood rushing out of his brain.

"Hhaysth..." Macintosh managed to mumble before the behemoth of a pony fell to the ground with an audible smack.

Everything went dark.