• Published 30th Nov 2013
  • 18,129 Views, 1,083 Comments

Of Lilies and Chestnuts - Prane



Unable to have a child of their own, Canterlot socialites Fancy Pants and Fleur give adoption a shot. Enter Chestnut—a filly from beyond Equestria who will quite possibly turn their life upside down.

  • ...
24
 1,083
 18,129

Chapter 5 – Head of the Family

The pillars of a thousand colors blasted into the sky as DARING DO struggled to keep her balance. She found herself on the edge of the fabled Rainbow Rupture once thought to be but a legend, trapped between the blazingly hot shades of red and orange on one side and the piercingly cold hues of indigo and blue on the other. The cunning pegasus looked down the chasm, the only way she could go to escape her nefarious archenemy and his small army of feline minions.

“This is where you meet your last, Miss Do!” Ahuizotl declared dramatically. “For later we all went for some ice cream!”

Ice cream? That’s an interesting choice of words for a dog-monkey creature of five hands, yet at the same time a bit out of place. Do cats eat ice cream, anyway? Fancy Pants adjusted his monocle, went back a couple of words, and read the line again.

“This is where you meet your last, Miss Do!” Ahuizotl declared dramatically. “For there is no way you can flee me this time!”

The adventurous mare glanced down again. Reaching one of those serene, green streams was going to be tricky, but she had to take a leap of faith if she wanted to save the priceless loot she had with her. She had come too far to give up now, and she wasn’t the type of pony to go without putting up a fight first.

“No way? Not if I have something to say, Ahuizotl!” Daring Do shouted back and patted her satchel. “I admit, I was reluctant at first, but after today—”

“…but after today I’m willing to give it a shot,” Fleur said. “Husband, are you listening or reading? And what is it that you’re reading?”

As much as he regretted abandoning the heroine in such a pivotal moment, Fancy Pants closed the book when Fleur’s own narration finally won over A.K. Yearling’s riveting, if sometimes flowery writing style. The cover featured a dim yellow pegasus flying recklessly down some sort of a multicolor waterfall with a distinctive, smug grin on her face. The amount of hues stood in perfect contrast to her short, grey mane, and together with the perspective chosen by the artist created a vivid, action-packed scene which was no short of Ahuizotl himself, the main antagonist of the Daring Do series.

Fancy Pants presented the book. “Why, it is Daring Do and the Rainbow Rupture,” he said. “I asked Chestnut if I could borrow it for a while, and though I don’t think I’ll be rushing the bookstores when the next installment gets published, I find this one quite enjoyable so far. I suppose finding common ground is beneficial not only in diplomacy but will also help us understand Chestnut a tad better, wouldn’t you say?”

“What I would say is that while I’m talking about important life events, you’re indulging yourself in fiction!” Fleur said with a hint of annoyance in her voice. Done tending to her mane, she glanced into the three-piece mirror mounted in the dressing table. She put the brush away. “Real things are happening outside! Were you even listening?”

Fancy Pants put the book aside. If he had been a typical husband, he would mutter a sulky response under his breath, something along the lines of being more than able to read and listen at the same time. But he was no ordinary spouse and neither was his wife. Considering all those happy years they had spent and were yet to spend together, she deserved the best. He put a pillow higher behind his back and granted his full, undivided attention to Fleur.

“I still am, dear,” he replied softly. “I heard what you said about your stroll with Chestnut, your meeting with Rarity, the search, and about what you did in that alley. I assure you, should I ever run into this Lady Bucket Head figure, I will tell her a few firm words regarding what I think about setting the Royal Guard on innocent fillies.”

When Fleur dived under the covers and clutched his foreleg, a blissful shiver travelled down his spine. Her coat was always so soft in touch, smooth and groomed, and her mane carried the enticing scent of peppermint mixed with vanilla. While the world of fashion had sent enough words of praise over the model beauty, Fancy Pants had the exclusive pleasure of falling asleep next to her. Waking up wasn’t bad, either, as the angelic looks of his wife smiling, without any make-up, and with strands of her hair slightly disheveled after the night was a sight to behold. He sometimes wished he had it framed on his work desk, but since that particular view would most likely distract his co-workers, he had to settle for a less emotive picture.

While physical appeal wasn’t the most important quality he valued, he had to admit there were some perquisites of having a supermodel for a wife—had he not, he wouldn’t be a proper male.

“Surprisingly, you were listening!” Fleur admitted after a moment of carefree snuggling. “What do you think?”

“It’s wonderful to hear you’re opening up to her,” he said. “I really hope you’ll keep it up for the sake of us all. For the sake of our family. And I have to admit, I envy you! I’m only reading about adventures and such, but the two of you seemed to have shared in quite a one!”

“I never asked for this. I intended to spend some quality time with Rarity.”

Despite their closeness, Fancy Pants managed to squeeze his hoof in between their bodies and drew a lopsided heart on Fleur’s chest. “Ah, but you of all ponies should know that adventure finds us when we least expect it! It wouldn’t be the first time, would it?” he said. “So, what did Rarity say about your little companion?”

Fleur giggled. “Oh, you know her! She was absolutely charmed, which means we can expect a parcel in the next couple of days. Chestnut doesn’t seem to know the first thing about fashion, but Rarity being herself was more than willing to tell her all about it. And she listened, and even had some legitimate questions,” Fleur said, then slipped out of the embrace. “But before that, Rarity and I also talked about… other things.”

Fancy Pants locked her hoof in a reassuring grip, anticipating the follow-up in tense silence. He had learned time and again that the best way to find out what buzzed inside Fleur’s head was to give her some extra time for consideration. For a mare, she was never particularly open about her thoughts and feelings, but she had made tremendous progress since the day they first met. She appeared concerned enough already, there was no point in stressing her further.

“Do you sometimes think about how we live?” she asked. “Do you wish certain things have taken a different turn?”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“I don’t know yet, just give me a second,” she said. She took a while to stare at the ceiling. “Have we become snobs?”

“And what constitutes a snob?”

Another long pause.

“There’s something I need to tell you, so please bear with me,” Fleur finally said. “Remember what I told Doctor Hugs? My plan to be a perfect mother of a perfect child? Well, there’s more to that.”

Fancy Pants kicked his share of bedding away and moved around to sit face-to-face with Fleur.

She took a deep breath and went on with her confession. “I always imagined that me getting pregnant and then foaling would allow us to take a fully justified step back. From the affairs of the high society, their forced courtesies, repeated opinions, meetings, events, parties, and Celestia knows what else. From all this insincerity, I guess.”

“You’ve never told me that you’re tired with Canterlot. Are you saying we should move to the countryside? To a town like Ponyville, perhaps?”

Fleur shook her head. “It’s not about the city. It’s about the citizens,” she replied. “When was the last time you were actually paying attention to the ponies outside, I mean really watched them, observed what they represent? They’re chasing fame and wealth with their muzzles stuck high in the clouds. Every day, pursuing their careers like there was no tomorrow, they’re toiling to be perceived as proper, as important, and barely smiling to each other because smiling is apparently not smiled upon these days.” Fleur mustered up a quizzical smirk which Fancy Pants could not decipher. “I love Canterlot, don’t get me wrong, and I don’t want to leave, even at the price of putting up with some of our acquaintances. I can live with that.”

Indeed, they were following a challenging but nonetheless rewarding path in life. Fancy Pants always admired the exceptional grace with which Fleur was overcoming the obstacles, all the more since she was, at any rate, a foreigner who had agreed to leave her home and settle down in a distant land. Yet right now she seemed like she was about to bring up an issue she could not solve on her own. Was it due to their visit at the Orphanarium? Her retirement? The walk with Chestnut earlier today?

Had he missed something about the one he cared for the most?

“But you can’t live in Canterlot and just deny the high society,” Fleur continued. “You find out that you’re already too engaged in this rat race. Being a parent of a newborn foal was going to be my socially acceptable excuse to quit it, or at least spend a few laps in the stands, but what we’re trying to do here is a different thing. It’s like grabbing a passenger in the middle of overtaking your competitors while running backwards. Blindfolded!” She looked at Fancy Pants. “Is this metaphor any good, or shall I give up?”

“I find it astonishingly accurate. What’s your, hmm, finish line?”

“My finish line is that we’d have to face a great deal of challenges with Chestnut around. I’m not sure if it can be done.”

Fancy Pants shivered in excitement. “Fleur, dearest, are you telling me that you’re actually considering—”

“ ‘Considering’ is a good enough word for now, thank you,” she replied, a hesitant smile slowly surfacing on her lips. “I know I was opposing the idea at first, and to be honest I’m still yet to wrap my head around it, but I have to admit that I misjudged Chestnut. She’s resourceful, curious, and—oh, who am I kidding, she can be darn cute as well!” she said. “I just don’t know if we can bring together living here and having someone like her on board.”

“Oh, just listen to yourself!” Fancy Pants beamed and wrapped her in a warm hug, laying them both on the rumpled pillows. The mare squeaked and giggled at the sudden takedown. He flicked a strand of hair off her forehead. “I understand you want to take it slowly, but I want you to know that you’ve already made a truly praiseworthy effort. The only thing we have to do now is prepare ourselves for those challenges you mentioned. Is there something that’s bothering you in particular?”

“I’d say education. We’d probably send her to CCU.”

“Why, because the Coconuts don’t have uniforms?”

Fleur shrugged. “I’ve been wearing a uniform myself and I never complained, but non, that would not be the reason. Some time after we decided to have a child, I brought myself up to date on the learning opportunities in Canterlot. I asked around, read several press articles. It turns out that Clover the Clever University gets better results overall, but the Academy is believed to have better staff. The students at CCU participate in student exchange programs, but those at CCA have a wider choice of extracurricular activities.” Fleur sunk into a pillow. “Huh. I just remembered that in the end I couldn’t decide between the two. I guess I picked CCU because—”

“Because they have uniforms?” Fancy Pants cut in.

“Isn’t your wit sharp today!” Fleur replied, exacting her revenge by grasping the covers all for herself. She sat up and enveloped herself tightly, which gave her the looks of a soft volcano covered in pink lava. “I did it because it’s not across the city like the other. But here’s a problem, since that’s Chestnut we’re talking about. She lacks certain skills and general sophistication, and you know how those spoiled kids at prestigious schools tend to be. Her looks, I mean her being a thestral doesn’t help either.”

“Ah, you’re concerned about the peer pressure!” he said, trying to get back some of his covers, but in vain. “I’m confident she would manage. She is one smart cookie.”

“But you need more than smartness to survive in our city. You need extensive knowledge on etiquette, you need to have good manners and social graces. Does that sound like Chestnut to you? Can you imagine what would happen if she landed in the middle of our—oh! Oh, that’s just unfair.”

Fancy Pants tried to seize the opportunity when Fleur stopped clinging to the bedding, but he stopped when she gazed at him in terror.

“Our party! I just remembered! We’re hosting the Canterlot Elite meeting this month! And it’s this Wednesday!”

Towns, cities, small hamlets, they all had ponies who were slightly more fashionable, wealthy, and influential than others. Those formed the high society in their respective communities, but then again, some of those groups were held in even higher regard than the rest. The Canterlot Elite was easily the most important congregation of interesting mares and stallions living in the capital, which meant they were at the top of the social ladder as Equestria far and wide—right below the royalty. Essentially a semi-formal, highly exclusive circle, the Elite was a promise of meeting celebrities and other prominent figures to everyone who attended their monthly get-togethers.

“Now, isn’t that a good thing?” Fancy Pants asked. “You’ve just said you’re not convinced if we can bring Chestnut and Canterlot together, and the party seems like a perfect opportunity to find out. Let’s see how she’ll do!”

“Well, I suppose if she lives through that, she can survive anything, our own parenting incompetence included. But doesn’t it sound like a test? You know, she acts accordingly during the party, she passes, we take her in. She doesn’t, she obviously won’t handle this kind of life, she goes back to the Orphanarium. Even I think it feels harsh.”

“Then let’s be fair and outfit her with skills necessary to deal with our friends,” he replied. “It may feel a tad harsh, but preparing her is the only way out I can think of right now. Unless you’d rather have her stay upstairs for the entire evening?”

Fleur’s muzzle shot to the ceiling. “Hmph. Who do you think I am? A cold-hearted you-know-what?”

“You’re certainly not a cold-coated one,” Fancy Pants said, once again reaching for the bedding. “Can I have my share back, please?”

The mare writhed in the softness of her self-imposed prison, her discomfort winning over her greed. “This time, husband,” she replied and spread the covers fifty-fifty before falling between the pillows. “Phew. With how demanding this trial has been so far, I don’t suppose actual parenthood can get any more tiring.”

“Is it the pace that bothers you?”

Non, my life has been happening at the speed of a Wonderbolt lately. I’m adjusting,” she replied. “We’ll do as you said. We’ll prepare Chestnut for the party and we’ll see how she behaves.”

Fancy Pants pecked Fleur on the cheek. She snuggled deeper into the pillow and moaned in delight, leaving him wondering if it was the kiss or the softness of the bedding that contented her.

“Goodnight, sweetheart. Sleep well.”

Fleur murmured something in response, but then lifted her muzzle once more. “By the way, how was the exhibition?”

“Just another boring fundraiser, I’m afraid, but some of the sculptures were quite eye-catching. For a local craft, that is. I tell you, it’s been far too long since the gallery had anything close to that spectacular display about the griffon shamanistic traditions they had back in spring,” he said. “Oh, and Upper Crust was late yet again.”

“Really? What was her excuse this time?”

“She claimed she couldn’t decide for a proper apparel. I swear, somepony should buy her a pocket watch.”

“Hearth’s Warming’s soon. Maybe we shou-aaald,” Fleur yawned. “Goodnight, dear.”

Listening to his wife’s steady breath, Fancy Pants pondered on the change he had noticed in her behavior. While it was soothing to see Fleur that much closer to redefining the meaning of motherhood she had lost due to her condition, he couldn’t shake off the feeling that it was too good to be true. Could it be that her initial resentment resulted only from the social burden she was carrying, and all she needed was some quality one-on-one time with Chestnut? As shameful as it felt, Fancy Pants was glad that the filly got lost for a moment, and that thanks to Rarity’s personal touch Fleur could emerge victorious in the time of crisis. Calamities were superb catalysts for changes, after all.

While Fleur wasn’t exactly the archetypal loving mother he believed she could become, she was heading in the right direction. What she needed was a feasible proof that Chestnut could, in fact, fit their sometimes demanding lifestyle. She had to live through such an experience and find herself within it.

Like Daring Do, she needed her personal trial by fire.

Fancy Pants grabbed the book and plunged back into reading.

“No way? Not if I have something to say, Ahuizotl!” Daring Do shouted back and patted her satchel. “Between leaving this little thing with you and abandoning the secrets of the Rainbow Rupture… I make my own way!”

She jumped straight into the infinite rainbow spectrum of the chasm, hoping that the choice she was making was the right one.

* * *

Solving crosswords was a ritual for Fancy Pants,

Every Sunday he would wake up, get into his dressing gown, grab the latest issue of The Canterlot Sun from his doorstep, and then head to the kitchen for an early dose of caffeine. After skimming through the headlines and reading some of the more interesting articles about foreign affairs and economy, he would reach a page filled with various puzzles and brain teasers, with the big crossword being his personal favorite. He considered it a challenging but at the same time relaxing exercise.

Today he learned that it could also be an immensely exciting one.

“Here’s one! A mostly white, seaside bird,” Fancy Pants read the clue. “Two, four, six… seven letters. Any ideas?”

Freshly introduced to his routine Chestnut assisted him with her vast expertise. After a long stare thrown at the ceiling for possible pointers she stopped rocking in her chair and mouthed some word, patting the table once for each whispered letter. She turned to the stallion.

“Hmm, it depends. Are there two ‘L’s in ‘seagull’?”

“Let’s see, shall we? S-E-A-G go here”—he wrote the subsequent letters in—“and since we already have ‘U’ it seems that double ‘L’ works just fine!”

“Alright! My turn!” Chestnut grinned and peeked across the table. Her smile melted once she read the clue, turning into a grim serious look. “Ooh, this one’s heavy. A major success that premits—sorry, permits further progress. Starts with ‘B’. Do you know this one?”

Fancy Pants shook his head. “I’m afraid they might have beaten us this time.”

Chestnut gasped in awe.

The unseen masterminds behind the tangle of squares would certainly beat the two ponies if it weren’t for Fleur who entered the kitchen. It didn’t take Shadow Spade to deduce that she was in a much better mood than yesterday morning, but before she could say something and thus provide a definite proof, Chestnut dashed off her seat and crouched in the mare’s way.

“We have an emergency! Please help us!” she squeaked. “We need a word for a success that permits further progress, on ‘B’!”

Greatly confused Fleur threw her husband a questioning look. He dropped his act for a moment to let her know that he didn’t suddenly lose his puzzle solving skills—now that would be embarrassing!—to which Fleur responded with a slight nod. When the filly looked back, he returned to his clueless mask.

“Goodness, and how many letters?” Fleur asked, eagerly joining the fun.

Chestnut sprung up. “A lot!”

“A word on ‘B’ that has a lot of letters. Hmm.” She cupped her chin, her forehead wrinkling in reverie. “If Fancy Pants doesn’t know this one, then we’re really facing a serious emergency. I don’t know if I can be of help here! How about… how about ‘breakthrough’, perhaps?”

“Is it?” Chestnut leaned on the table in anticipation. Fancy Pants hesitated, held the pencil over the crossword, and carefully counted the squares. He then heaved a sigh of relief and wrote in the answer, eliciting a joyful outburst from the filly. “Yes! Take that, crossword!” she exclaimed. “Did we get them all? We did! What’s the secret word, what is it?”

“A moment, please!” the stallion said, transferring the letters from the grid. “Nine-O. Thirteen-T. And the ‘E’ from our seaside bird goes right… here. Aha! The solution is The Kingdom of Two!” That only baffled the filly further. “It’s the title of a play that won the hearts of theatre lovers in Canterlot a few years ago. It was quite a breakthrough for one of our acquaintances as well! Thanks to her role there, she graduated from a stage magician to a full-time actress.”

“You’re friends with a real actress? That’s rad!” Chestnut said. “Do you get tickets to all her plays?”

Fleur shook her head. “Not since she’s busy being a full-time mother,” she explained without a trace of grief in her voice. She sat at the table and, following Chestnut’s offer, helped herself to a saucer full of caramelized biscuits. “What about you? For a moment I thought you weren’t solving crosswords, but saving the world.”

“Believe me when I say it felt like we were doing both,” Fancy Pants replied. “Chestnut here has been a real help.”

The filly’s cheeks colored up. “Uhm, I only helped with some super easy ones. I didn’t even know half of the words you were putting there!” she said, then turned to Fleur. “Sorry we didn’t leave anything for you, but there are some other puzzles left, if you want to join? We still get those neat rebuses here!”

“Aw, I wish I could, but I can’t afford to be late to Hyacinth’s. Though to be honest, I’d much rather stay at home today.”

Chestnut put her hooves on the table and leaned like she was planning a heist no less. “If you don’t want to go, you can always pretend you’re sick. That’s what I usually do when—” She shrunk into herself. “On second thought, I probably shouldn’t be telling this.”

Fleur chuckled. “You have to know that it’s not that easy with ponies like Hyacinth. If I don’t go, then she’ll come here and won’t leave until we have agreed to attend one of her weird parties. The next edition of her Punch Taste-whatnot.”

“I sometimes find it difficult to imagine how Rich Card puts up with a wife like that,” Fancy Pants said.

“That’s because you have the best wife in the entire”—she planted a big smooch on his cheek—“world. So, that’s me! How about you? Do you have any plans for today?”

“Well, I’m running short of ink, so I think I’ll go get some more, but no, nothing beyond that.”

“Sounds like a trivial enough errand, but I should probably take the spare keys just in case. You two have fun!” Fleur said, ruffling Chestnut’s forelock before leaving the kitchen. A metallic jingle resounded from the hallway. “Au revoir!”

Fancy Pants swiveled in his chair to get a better view on the yard. Fleur hit the road at a vivacious trot which, however different from her usual sauntering or strolling with occasional parading, was a clear step forward from the shambling of those few days ago. Had she finally reconciled to her condition? It was heartbreaking to see her in tears, questioning why it had to be her and doubting the worth of going on without the hope of fulfilling her dreams. Fancy Pants himself had to be strong for them both, and while hiding his own disappointment and doubts had cost him a great deal of stress, witnessing Fleur in exceptionally high spirits suggested that the worst was already behind them.

He noticed Chestnut hovering over his shoulder.

“She seems happy,” she simply stated. “Do you think it’s because of the ice cream? I think it’s because of the ice cream. That’s what cheered her up yesterday. I mean, I think it did! I know it cheered me up but she and Miss Rarity seemed happy too when we were talking about our desserts and stuff. Yeah—yes, it must be the ice cream.”

Fancy Pants looked upon the filly with amusement. “Must be the ice cream,” he repeated.

“Or maybe there was something in the sprinkles!” Chestnut stuck out her tongue, squinting at it. “Ith my tangue akay?” She curled it back. “I think it’s okay, which means I can go outside. When my tongue went funny once, there was that pretty nurse who was training to be a doctor, but a different one than Doc Hugs, and she said I should stay in bed so that I wouldn’t get ill. Those were the most boring three days ever, but I got better, so I guess it was worth listening to her!” Chestnut shrugged. “Anyway, I’m ready to go when you are.”

A few minutes later they left the 88 Rimway Avenue and headed into the city.

Good quality ink was necessary for Fancy Pants in his position of Senior Ambassador. Regrettably, his line of work was no longer about visiting distant lands or meeting foreign dignitaries and attending to their needs—though he was still the Embassy’s primary choice for greeting those—but it revolved around signing countless documents and delegating tasks to younger employees. He missed the traveling part the most. Prance, Germaney, Shanghay, Yakyakistan, and the recently reunited Griffon Kingdoms—he had seen quite a chunk of the known world in his youth. These days he would rarely leave the office in Canterlot, yet alone go beyond Equestria.

On the other hoof, he had already met the love of his life during one of those trips, so what more could a stallion like him possibly want? A thrill of adventure? Certainly not! That was good for establishing a relationship, not maintaining it. Besides, if everything was going to turn as he hoped, Chestnut would be supplying just the excitement he needed.

From Rimway they took a turn into Sapphire Street.

“Tell me, Chestnut, what about school?” Fancy Pants asked. “Do you and the other Orphanarium pupils attend one?”

“Yes and no. Most kids do, but I’ve got special one-on-one tutoring with Doc Hugs or the others. It’s because I have gaps in my coolicurite.”

“Would it be curriculum, by any chance?”

Chestnut shrugged. “Might as well. It’s just that I don’t fit classes my age because of, uhm, reasons. But the good guys at the Orphanarium are helping me out so I could go to school next year. I even have my own timetable!” she boasted. “For example, we’re doing reading and writing on Mondays, and math on Thursdays, but since I’m with you guys this week, I guess I’ll have to work extra hard the next.”

Two things occurred to Fancy Pants. Firstly, Chestnut was eager to put an effort into her education, which was a most commendable attitude rarely assumed by the younglings these days. Secondly, she didn’t seem to have any particular expectations on how the trial period was going to end. It struck him. What if Chestnut didn’t want their time together to continue beyond the first week? He and Fleur had talked about it like it was going to be only their choice, but neither of them had considered the filly’s point of view. He should definitely talk it over with her, and at some point ask Chestnut if she would like to stay with them.

“I suppose I could become a temporary replacement if you’d like,” Fancy Pants offered. “I don’t expect to have a lot of work tomorrow, so how about we do some reading and writing exercises then? I could teach you a thing or two.”

“Really? Do you even know how?” Chestnut replied, smirking.

“Well, I’m obviously no teacher but I like to think that my writing is decent. And reading shouldn’t be too much of a problem, either. I somehow managed to dip into your Daring Do book.”

The filly livened up, flew in front of Fancy Pants, and flapped her wings to hover backwards as he was walking.

“Oh! Which part did you think was the coolest?”

“A tough choice! One of the more recent fragments I enjoyed was the description of the Rainbow Rupture, especially the cavern system into which Daring Do ventured. I think A.K. Yearling really captured the magic only appropriate to such a mythical place. How about you?”

“I liked when Daring Do was fighting Dr. Caballeron in total darkness once the Prismatic Spire blew up!” Chestnut closed her eyes to enact the scene through blind kicks and punches only barely avoided by Fancy Pants. “Hyah! Hiii-yah! Wasn’t that just great?”

“Actually, I don’t think I’ve read up to that point yet.”

“Whoopsie!” Chestnut blushed and covered her mouth. “My bad. Spoilers. Sorry.”

“Worry not! You can tell me what happens next.”

“Nuh-uh! I had to make my way through many pages to get to the good part, you know? Why should you have it any easier?” She passed her hoof along her muzzle. “My lips are sealed.”

“I suppose that’s reasonable enough.”

The street opened to the Gibbous Moon Plaza which derived its name from its unusual shape. A pegasus flying by would see that the otherwise circular area was slightly skewed on the side, which together with its pale paving gave the impression of a not fully illuminated moon. Inks and Seats, the store to which Fancy Pants and Chestnut headed, was tucked just in the middle of the skewed arch.

“Considering your recent adventure,” Fancy Pants said, “I don’t want to leave you all by yourself in the streets, so why don’t you come in with me? The owner is a good friend of mine. His family has a certain knack for highly specialized, but surprisingly needed businesses. His grandson, Davenport if I recall correctly, sells quills and sofas in Ponyville, for example.”

Chestnut rested her hooves on the storefront. “I see no buckets, no golden necklaces, and no buffet tables under which I could dive.” She looked left and right. “No guards either,” she added under her breath. “Yep! It should be fine.”

The brass bell jingled, alerting an ancient stallion sitting behind the counter. His thinned mane was white as chalk, as his glasses thick as the bottoms of the bottles in which he stored colorful inks which constituted the half of his wares. The other half were seats—big, small, elegant, casual, with cushions or overlays included, all in unworn condition contrasting with the owner’s own. A single look into his aged but by no means tired eyes and the croaky voice suggested that this pony had seen it all.

“Fancy Pants? Young Fancy, come in!” he said. “The usual Topaz Blue and no seats for you, I take it?”

“Actually, Mister Inkblot, I would like to try something different. I’m looking for something, shall we say, more exotic.”

“Looking? It seems to me you’ve already found something,” Mister Inkblot said, pointing across the store.

Chestnut didn’t dare to touch the seats, but between the glass cabinets she found an aquarium which caught her attention. Half-suppressed sniggers, puffed cheeks, whispered remarks, and faces she was making didn’t impress the indifferent pufferfish living its uncomplicated life of an overly fat element of interior design, but Chestnut seemed to be enjoying herself anyway.

“Ah, this charming young lady’s name is Chestnut. She’s with me.”

Mister Inkblot coughed. “Don’t talk riddles to me, young colt! What does ‘she’s with me’ mean these days?”

“Well, she’s a pupil at the Canterlot Orphanarium, and between you and me”—Fancy Pants leaned over the counter—“Fleur and I are considering expanding our family, if you know what I mean.”

“Interesting! Most interesting,” he replied, smoothing his beard of a sage until he realized he didn’t have one. “This is unconventional. Unprecedented. New! You know how that circle of hoity-toity friends of yours reacts to new things, don’t you?” He paused for a moment to capture a surprised stare from the other stallion. “They are scared!”

“Could you be more specific?”

“They’re scared of changes, I hope that’s specific enough for you!” Mister Inkblot tried to shout, but ended only winded instead. “This is happening right now, Fancy, in our city. Canterlot is on its way to becoming a cultural crossroads for all the races of Equestria and beyond. I personally know five griffons, can you imagine? Who knows how many of them live in the neighborhood?” he said. “You know I always prided myself in knowing my customers, but how can I tell the difference if they all share the same, G-something name! I’ve been telling them apart by the tips of their feathers so far, but that’s not going to work when a flock comes to buy a dining room set they all supposedly reserved!”

Browsing through the wares, Fancy Pants kept on listening. Senile ponies, if eccentric, had a lot to say from their vast life experience, and Mister Inkblot excelled in raising interesting points within his rants. Without ever leaving his little corner in the world, he had become a mentor for a certain young colt making his first, unsure steps in the world of diplomacy. He also gave the said colt the push he needed to go to Shanghay on a journey which changed his life.

“Six years ago there was no Crystal Empire,” Mister Inkblot continued. “Earlier today their exchange student bought a bottle of Verdant Venom to go with her coat. You see crystal ponies on the streets, you hear about Diamond Dogs leaving their underground homes and heading south for a blasted pilgrimage. Now somepony from your social stratum is going to ‘expand the family’ with a child from a distant land! Tread carefully, Fancy, for some may follow your example, but others will turn against you.”

“As usual, Mister Inkblot, your insight is leaving me speechless.”

The old stallion waved his hoof and muttered an unclear response that was most likely a cynical way of disregarding the compliment.

Fancy Pants returned to the display. “I’m hesitating between these two,” he said, turning around. “Chestnut, would you mind assisting me here?” The filly mouthed her goodbyes at the aquarium and trotted to his side. “Mister Inkblot, I’d like you to meet Chestnut,” he introduced the filly, then turned to her. “Go on, say—”

“Hiya!” Chestnut flew up, reaching out her hoof. The stallion responded with putting up his own to move the intruder away from the counter, but Chestnut took it as a successful introductory hoof bump. She smiled widely. “Cool balloon fish you’ve got there, Mister Inkspot.”

Cranky as he was, Mister Inkblot replied in kind, “I am glad to meet you too, Chest-not.” He added a wink to let the filly know he didn’t mind her bold attempt at twisting his name. Chestnut landed with a mixture of surprise and respect painted in her eyes.

“Take a look at those green ones,” Fancy Pants said. “Aventurine or Jade? Which one do you like the most?”

Chestnut carefully inspected each row of inks. “Hmm. I like the Mandarin one the most, but I don’t think green suits you. Check this one out,” she said, knocking on the glass and thus evoking a grumble from the old stallion. She crossed her forelegs behind her back. “Uhm, sorry. How about that Sapphire Blue, the one over there? It’s like it has your name written all over it, and sapphires are the thing!”

“Ah! It is a fine color indeed! And very suitable.”

Mister Inkblot leaned to Chestnut and whispered, “It suits him because it’s a fancy color indeed, isn’t that right?”

“I didn’t notice that one. It may not be anything exotic, but I can see it’s a different shade compared to my usual,” Fancy Pants said. He produced a couple of shining bits from his tailcoat. “We’ll take both. The Sapphire one for me, and the Mandarin for the lady.”

Still snickering at the old stallion’s pun, Chestnut suddenly straightened up. “Wait, I’m the lady now?” she asked before uttering a confused reply. “Not necessary, uhm, don’t bother… you really, really don’t have to…”

“But of course I do! If we’re going to practice your writing skills, you need your own ink. A pen, too, but I think there’s a working spare back home.” He grabbed a packet off the counter and gave a nod to the old stallion. “Always a pleasure, Mister Inkblot! Please give my best to Mrs. Inkwell. I imagine the changes we talked about will eventually affect the school as well.”

“She’ll live. She’s more stubborn than I am, and that says something,” Mister Inkblot replied. “See you around, kids!”

“Goodbye!” Chestnut said, throwing one last glance at the store and the aquarium.

Outside, she turned to Fancy Pants.

“He’s a pretty cool guy, you know that?”

From the Gibbous Moon Plaza they took a longer route back home. The bush-lined Terrace Avenue went along the edge of the city, rewarding its amblers with a stunning view of Cloudsdale cruising the distant sky, and the one of Ponyville to the southwest, plastered at the edge of the Everfree Forest. Since the route was also one of the more popular tourist spots, the non-ponies that wouldn’t be strolling around just a couple of years ago couldn’t go unnoticed by Fancy Pants.

Canterlot was going through changes. It was especially true for him and Fleur, as their Canterlot was going to change within the next couple of days. Sooner or later the ponies of the high society were going to explode with the news about spotting an unusual filly in their company, which could only lead to a myriad of gossips that would feed the nosy socialites for at least a week. Gossips were born when one didn’t have sufficient information on the issue, but their acquaintances weren’t going to inquire at the source, at least not until they had enough knowledge to appear well-versed on the topic of young thestrals. The loop of misinformation would continue, gradually drawing in more and more ponies.

Fancy Pants and Fleur were the only ones who could break it and they were going to do it in the most elegant way possible: through a party.

Hopefully it wasn’t going to be their last.

Author's Note:

Hello there! Thank you for reading my story. I am no longer writing pony fiction, but if you want to support my current creative endeavor, check out my content on Twitch! :raritywink: