• Published 22nd Oct 2013
  • 21,017 Views, 2,723 Comments

Aftermath of a Fallen Star - Rated Ponystar



The aftermath of Twilight's assassination, and the lives she touched who must now move foward into a future without her

  • ...
90
 2,723
 21,017

PreviousChapters Next
The Other Daughter (Mystic Sparkle)

Aftermath of A Fallen Star

By Rated Ponystar

Formerly Edited by The Unnamed Pawn and Commander X5

Pre-Read/Edited by: Magic Man, Chaotic Note, and Grand_Moff_Pony

The Other Daughter (Mystic Sparkle’s POV)

***

Dear Mother and Father,

By the time you read this, I am long gone from Canterlot and there is nothing you can do to find me. I’ve made sure that nopony, not even Celestia herself, can find me. You may be thinking why am I doing this, but you should know the answer. It’s been building up for years and I am surprised I didn’t run away even sooner. All because of the fact that you two never seem to realize one thing.

I am not Twilight Sparkle.

I get it. Losing her was a big impact on you and all of Equestria, but does this mean I have to suffer for it? I have never grown up normal thanks to being her little sister, and some days I wish I wasn’t related to her. Most fillies grow up with friends, play dates, joining scouts, or going to school. Me? I was forbidden to go outside nearly most of my life unless the two of you were with me. You kept telling me that we were under constant threat of those who wanted to hurt us because we related to Twilight. Why didn’t we just move to the Crystal Empire with Shining Armor and Cadance? At least then I would have had my cousin, Flurry Heart, as a friend. But no, you didn’t want to leave the place where Twilight was rested, I could tell that from the weekly visits to her grave you went to while I waited in the gardens. For hours...

It was there that I began to see who really is the favorite child of the family. Twilight was all you ever talked about at home and at first I was happy to be related to somepony so important and famous. But you never stopped talking about her. It was always “Twilight did this” or “Twilight used to say” and even “I remember when Twilight blah blah blah”.
If I had a bit for every time you mentioned my sister’s name I would be able to buy my own kingdom.

The only pony who didn’t talk about my sister all the time was my big brother, but I only rarely got to see him or Aunt Cadance and Flurry Heart. We never visited the Crystal Empire despite my biggest desire to see it. They always had to come to us. When Flurry Heart visited, it was one of the few if not only times I could play with another pony. You kept me home schooled for years and refuse to let me make friends out of fear that I would get hurt or something.

All I wanted was one friend to play with. Just somepony to talk to, but you wouldn’t let me even go to the playgrounds until I was ten. By then, most of the foals in our neighborhood had friends already and I didn’t even know how to interact with them. It didn’t help that when I did try, all they wanted to do was ask about my sister who I never met. They asked if I knew her, was I as powerful as her, what was it like to be related to royalty, et cetera, et cetera. They only talked to me about Twilight Sparkle and nothing else. Not Mystic Sparkle, just Twilight.

I never cried so hard to sleep before that first day trying to make friends.

I hated it. I hated that nopony wanted to know me. Just my stupid sister who was dead for years.

I’m glad I didn’t because I did manage to make the only friend I ever had, Maplewood. Maplewood was the one pony I met who never cared about who I was related to, she cared about me for me. I nearly cried when she said that because to me that was the first time I felt proud to be who I am. Those years we shared together are some of the happiest memories I have.

It was thanks to her I got my cutie mark in magic. I couldn’t get a cute-ceañera because you didn’t want to risk attention from “Twilight’s enemies” but Maplewood threw a surprise party at her house with her parents. Her parents who never met me, never knew me, or even spoke to me. They did because their daughter asked them too and they wanted to make her happy.

How is that two strangers made me feel more loved than my own parents? That party was one of the best I ever had in a small few that I was given. The greatest gift was when Maplewood gave me a bracelet and showing a matching one on her hoof, promising that we would be friends forever. At that moment, I had a sister. Somepony I truly loved for loving me back. I know you two love me, you are my parents, but Maplewood was more family to me and did more for me than you two ever did.

Since then, I did everything I could to hang out with her. Sneak out of the house, skip lessons with my tutors, and even pretend to be sick. I didn’t care if I was grounded or not, I wanted to see the one pony who made my life worth something.

I remember when we snuck into the gardens, that was when I first met Princess Celestia in person. She was kind, gentle, and wise like the rumors about her are said. She knew Twilight naturally and offered to tell me what she was really like, but I didn’t want to hear about how perfect she was in everything. I got enough of that from our other relatives or my tutors who always pushed me to be the best in everything. While I enjoy learning, I hated that no matter what I did or what I accomplished, it was nothing compared to my genius sister. Math, science, magic, history, economics, politics, and more. I tried to learn it all growing up, but none of it matters since Twilight did it first and did it better. But I kept pushing through it, hoping that you would see me as smart as Twilight and be proud of my accomplishments.

But all you ever said was, “You’re sister did better.”

Would it have killed you to say “Good Job, Mystic”?

I soon gave up trying to impress you. It was clear that no matter what I did, no matter how talented I was in magic or studies or anything, you would never see me as you did with Twilight. I don’t know what Twilight was really like, but I hope if she was alive she would agree with me that you two are horrible parents!

But I guess I should get to the real reason why I’m running away. The reason why I cannot stay in his house anymore. The reason I will not come back until I prove myself and the world knows the name Mystic Sparkle as her own pony and not just as “Twilight Sparkle’s sister”.

Maplewood told me she wanted to go to the Gifted School For Unicorns, she was the main reason I wanted to go. I wanted to be with my friend. I wanted to learn magic and use it. I wanted to become a great mage. But you refused to let me go, and I couldn’t go unless I had your permission. I begged, pleaded, cried, and argued with you for days but you refused. I didn’t care your reasons or what rights you had, I wanted to go and be with my friend. You had always told me to be like my sister and I thought I could use that to play to my advantage since she went to the same school. That just made you even more furious and determined not to let me go. I didn’t get it. I still don’t understand. You want me to be like Twilight and yet you don’t want me to be like Twilight.

I just don’t understand.

Desperate, I turned to the one pony I thought would let me in. I thought she would be thrilled to have the sister of her old apprentice at her school. Princess Celestia was my last hope... but even she refused me. She said I had to be placed in by my parents own will, and that she cannot force the school to take me in. So, in that moment, I decided to prove myself worthy to be something I know she would want.

Another apprentice. This time it would be me. It was sudden, but I was sure she would want to personally teach me. To teach her former apprentice’s sister? I would have been fine with that and I would have gladly accepted whatever challenge came from it. I wouldn’t care if this was going to keep me in Twilight’s shadow or not, I just wanted a chance to prove myself. I showed her spell after spell, to the point where she looked at me with amazement. She told me that I was truly gifted and even could be just as good if not better than Twilight one day...

But she couldn’t let me in because of a promise she made to you, Mother, before I was born.

That no matter how gifted I was. No matter how skilled I could be. I was never to be taken as Princess Celestia’s personal apprentice.

And down went my last chance.

My last chance to join Maplewood in Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. I hated her. I hated you. I hated... Faust, I hated everything at that moment.

But that hatred turned to despair upon what happened two weeks later. What happened a month ago.

The bombing.

The terrorist attack from the Equestrian First group.

The day I lost my best friend.

My world was forever shattered that day. So many mourned the dead, and I was one of them. I mourned when I learned that the one pony who truly cared for who I was instead of what I was is dead. She was taken from me by those monsters.

But you know what was the worst part? You didn’t let me go to the funeral.

You insisted that I stay home, surrounded by guards Princess Celestia allowed for us, because you were afraid we were going to be attacked. I couldn’t say goodbye to my best friend when they put her in the ground.

I will never forgive you for that.

That is why I am running away. This and more. So much more. All my life I have had to live with your over-protectiveness or fighting to earn your approval when the truth is you don’t have a second daughter. You only have one that you refuse to let rest in peace.

Where I am going, I will never tell you, but I can assure you this. You will hear my name. My name will be heard as a new legend, one better than Twilight Sparkle. I will not rest until I am more famous and more powerful than her. Maybe then you’ll realize that you had a second daughter and you screwed it up.

Keep the name Sparkle, I don’t want it anymore.

From now on, I am just Mystic

P.S.: Tell Shining that I’m sorry.

***

The Rising Star who left home to find herself

The Lost Dragon who struggles for strength

The Stone Prince who knows not his blood

All three began to move towards destiny

Author's Note:

Really sorry for this, so many things in life got in the way and I struggled with this chapter cause I wanted to give enough, but not too much about Mystic Sparkle. First is was going to be told via Twilight Velvet, then Night Light, and finally upon rereading the Cheerliee chapter I decided to go with this kind of chapter.

Now I know some of you are wondering what I am going to do with Flurry Heart. After all, in this story, before her birth was Majesty Blueblood, a born alicorn that hadn't been seen in a long time. Originally, before Flurry Heart was revealed to be an alicorn, I had planned to have Cadance and Shining Armor have a child based on whatever gender it was going to be in the show. Her being an Alicorn naturally kind of forced me to make some changes for the next fic. I debated a lot with this character. Should I even bother keeping her? I figured I might as well. I then thought of having her parents fake her death after a failed assassination, but that didn't seem to work out in my head. So I'm going to keep her as an alicorn, alive and well, and adjust changes in the third fic. Besides, it would be interesting to see her and Majesty interact.

Next one is your choice: Tirek or Luna

Feel free to write to the series TV tropes page

PreviousChapters Next