• ...
5
 64
 1,772

Near Death, Who See with Blinding Sight

On Faust’s children:

When Faust’s children awoke and went to their mother’s bedside to hear which of them would be All, they found only her body for the Maker had taken her spirit behind the veil.

One of her sons, Erasmus, known for being sensitive of spirit, was so overwhelmed at seeing his mother’s corpse that his heart gave out and he died on the very spot.

Faust’s other children were equally grieved though not so overcome. For three days there were no words between them but only the sounds of weeping.

But on the fourth day Faust’s eldest son, Haroun, stood up and spoke to his brothers and sisters: “The time of weeping has passed, now we must turn our thoughts towards the good of our mother’s kingdom, which she and our father toiled to prepare for our comfort and security. Mother has passed and did not speak the name of an heir, so now it must be decided: which of us will become the All and rule over the rest?”

Now each of Faust’s children looked at the one next to them and there was none who could answer him. Finally one of Faust’s daughters, Monifa, spoke aloud saying: “We should draw lots and see which of us the Maker favors.”

But her brother Jeshurun protested, saying: “The Olympians did so and it has been naught but a suffering for them and their own since. Lots are too unclear, let us pray until the Maker reveals the answer unto us.”

“It might be too lengthy a time until the Maker speaks,” Haroun said. “The kingdom requires a ruler lest our enemies gather against us.”

So there arose an exchange amongst the children of whose method was the wisest. Then one of Faust’s daughter’s by the name of Midian, a cunning mare, a maker of riddles and full of great silent ambition, spoke thusly:

“The answer is a simple one at its root, who do we believe our honored mother trusted most? For no matter how lofty or fortunate or upright she believed one to be, if she did not trust in the contents of their character she would not have entrusted the might of the All to them.”

At that moment it was as if a double-edged sword cut through Faust’s children and they were divided into those who were too fearful to image such responsibility and those arrogant enough to desire it. And as like calls unto like, those with the lust for the throne perceived the desire in each other’s eyes and soon the venom of mistrust spread as a plague.

For those lacking the drive for the throne soon found themselves trampled beneath---

Note From Luna Odinmaden: Here the manuscript was irreparably damaged. But this story is one of the most well documented in our history and hardly requires retelling, especially in such sparse language. Also for the chronicler to give the impression that it was only Midian’s words that provoked Faust’s children to their conflict is to overlook the effects of Faust and her husband’s own rearing of them and the responsibility of the children themselves for their own sin. In short, it is never one soul that destroys, but the surrender of many to its will.

***

Luna was brushing out her mane at her vanity. She was so weary that she kept pulling the brush too heavily and it would end up slipping out of her hair and slamming against the edge of her vanity.

After the funeral there was a feast the royal family hosted for the guests who had come for the funeral and that had been a blur of much anxious commotion so she hadn't realized how exhausted she was until she sat down to brush her mane as was her nightly habit.

She had thought of just going to bed but didn't want to have to struggle with tangles tomorrow, which even with magic was a very long and painful process.

At least there'll be no more functions for a two months. So I'll get some rest before Papa's coronation.

She grimaced thinking how much longer that event would be and how long the feasting would last for that. Grandpapa's coronation celebration had lasted an entire 40 days, though Papa had never been as fond of revelry as Grandpapa had been in his youth.

Grandpapa reveling...now that's a strange thought.

She tried to visualize the scowling, brooding alicorn smiling and laughing. The only time he had not been silent and sullen was in his fits of wrath. But he had smiled with uncle Vasilios but that was in a gentle, fatherly manner not a drunken, joyous one.

And once Vasilios had gone so had his smile. But most everything had gone away with Vasilios. It was as if he had been the star of their solar system and all grew cold and spiraled out into emptiness without his warmth or gravitation.

There was the sound of a lock clicking and Luna turned to the door that led to Sunset and Celestia's bedroom. The door opened and Celestia stepped in, carefully shutting the door behind her.

"Where's Cadence?" Celestia said, looking around the room.

"Still with Mama and Papa," Luna said. The brush slipped and slammed on the vanity for the hundredth time, causing Luna to hiss through her teeth.

"Let me see that," Celestia said, walking up behind Luna and taking the brush with her magic. She pulled the brush gently through Luna's mane and Luna sighed with relief.

"Why are you here?" Luna asked.

In the mirror she saw Celestia make a face. "Sunset is being more hateful than usual. I was trying to talk about how pretty the ambassador's son was and all she could say was how he should have engaged her in talk more than me. Then I said if she wasn't so contrary colts might actually want to speak with her and of course then she went on about how scandalous my flirting is and how I'll bring the millennia of generations of our family to ruin with my behavior--"

"I think I grasp the meat of your exchange," Luna said, waving her hoof dismissively.

"You would think for one night she would be pleasant, at the very least grateful for her living relations."

"Perhaps she also thought you would be more solemn on such a night."

Celestia hit a tangle and with the brush gave it a vicious yank. "The Holy Seer himself prayed that we should not be weighed down with sadness. So if the Maker gives me joy even in sorrow wouldn't it be wasting the blessing to make myself unhappy?"

Luna was sure there was a middle ground on the matter but was too tired to discuss it. Celestia finished the brushing and proceeded to braid Luna's mane.

"Would you like one or many?" She asked.

"One. Too many give me headaches. Remember what a bad one I had on Cadence's birthday?"

Celestia nodded and wove Luna's dark hair into a long single braid.

Luna stood up from the chair and stumbled over to her bed, practically falling into it. She regretted that quickly since her dolls were tucked into the covers and so she was lying on stiff lumps and bumps. She wriggled around, pulling doll after doll out from under her--there were at least ten--tossing them on the other side of the bed, even half asleep she hadn't the heart to throw them on the floor.

"Are you staying or going back to bed?" Luna asked Celestia.

"I don't want to apologize just yet."

"Whose bed do you want then? I think Cadence might be staying with Mama tonight."

"Can I lie down with you? I don't like to sleep alone."

"I don't mind," Luna mumbled, finally crawling under the covers and pulling them up to her chin.

Celestia dove in, tugging the covers nearly out of Luna's grip to wrap around her body.

"Your bed is so much softer than mine," Celestia said.

"Hmmppfff," Luna said, already feeling sleep gripping her.

The sound of a lock turning again and the sound of stamping hooves caused her to sigh.

"What are doing here?" Celestia snapped.

"I could ask you the same," Sunset's harsh voice answered. "Running away from our argument, how like you."

"Can't you let anything rest? You're not Mama, you haven't right to command my habits."

"I am the heir to the kingdom, I will be the next All-Mother so you had best become accustomed to obeying my commands!"

"Oh this again..." Luna groaned. "If you two are going to argue hierarchy semantics do so in your own bedroom."

"I can argue wherever I so please--"

"I'm not going back with her--"

"Shhhhhhhhhhhh!"

All three fillies turned to see Cadence now standing in the doorway, frowning at them.

"You'll disturb Papa and Mama!" she chided, stepping into the room.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were staying with Mama tonight," Sunset said.

Cadence walked over to the bed and climbed on, wriggling to lie down between Luna and Celestia. "Papa came in and seemed like he wanted to talk to Mama, so I was sent out."

Luna thought about Papa crying during the ceremony and wondered if Mama was comforting him right now as she had then.

"What did Papa look like?" she asked.

"Tired," Cadence said.

"I can imagine," Sunset said. She pulled a chair up to the bedside and sat down. "Tomorrow he'll have even more work with preparing for the coronation. He said I have to sit in on all the meetings and the proceedings for it. Since I'm the heir I need to learn how to arrange such events."

"Will you shut up about this heir business?" Celestia said sharply. "We know you're the heir. But it's only because our five year old uncle and his mama drowned and grandfather set our palace aflame and ran off in a mad hysteria. I wouldn't be so proud about such a miserably begotten title."

Sunset stared at her, her face a mask of shock, but uncharacteristically did not respond.

Cadence started sniffling, causing Luna to say, "Don't fight, you're upsetting her."

"It's not them," Cadence said, her voice damp with tears. "It's..." She stopped and swallowed, looking suddenly afraid.

Celestia turned to Cadence, her brow furrowed. "It's what Cadence?"

Cadence burrowed herself under the covers so only her eyes were visible, wide and quivering.

"Cadence? What's the matter?" Celestia insisted, looking concerned.

Cadence said something but was muffled by the cover.

"What?" her sisters said at once.

"I'm afraid to say," Cadence said louder, her voice strained with anxiety.

Celestia voice became firmer: "Cadence, you cannot hide something that's frightening you."

Luna nodded and added worriedly, "You need to tell us."

"I'll tell Papa if you do not tell us what this threat is," Sunset demanded.

Cadence covered her eyes with her hooves. "I had a bad dream."

"That's it?" Sunset exclaimed but Celestia and Luna both waved her away.

"What was it?" Celestia said.

"Of Uncle Vasilios, Grandmama and Grandpapa."

"What about them?"

"Of them dying."

Celestia looked saddened and put her arm around Cadence. "Oh precious, I'm sorry about that. How about I ask the cook to create a sweet sleep soup--"

"No it was before they died I saw it!" Cadence exclaimed.

The three older fillies stared at her and then each other, trading expressions first of confusion then realization.

Sunset was the first to speak, hesitantly: "Like...how Mama sees it, when she is at the loom?"

Luna remembered this--it had been so long since it had been spoken of. She had been very little and watched Mama weaving vividly colored threads into massive tapestries, each utterly dissimilar from the last, filled with images of every creature known and some never seen. They were so life-like that sometimes when the servants or Papa would walk in they would have to look twice to assure themselves they weren’t alive.

Mama stopped letting Luna or the rest of the princesses watch after Cadence ran out of the room screaming that one of the wolves in the tapestry Mama was creating had leapt out and gnashed its teeth.

Cadence's eyes were shut tight as she nodded in answer to Sunset’s question.

After a long pause, Luna asked in a low voice: "Did you tell Mama?"

"I tried but I kept crying," Cadence said. "And she was busy because of the funeral."

"We should go tell her," Luna said.

"She's with Papa," Sunset pointed out.

"What did you see?" Celestia asked quietly.

Cadence’s eyes suddenly appeared cloudy and her face took on a bizarrely serene air. When she spoke her voice was slow and soft like she was trying to piece together the memory of a dream:

“Three days before little Uncle Vasilios died, I dreamt I saw him in the part of the garden where the river ran through. He was wading into it and I said, ‘Little Uncle, where are you going?’ and he said to me, ‘I heard the Word of the Voice, I hear it Speaking to me across this way.’ And he walked over the river like it was solid ground and disappeared from my sight.

“Seven days after his funeral, I dreamt I saw Grandmama sitting by the bank of the river where little Uncle Vasilios drowned that day when we all were turned away. And the train of her dress was all made of violet blossoms and she had them woven in her hair too, the way she did when she, little Uncle and I would sit in the garden and make crowns of them.

“She was crying so that there was water all around her and it kept growing higher. I asked her, ‘Grandmama why are you weeping?’ She said to me, ‘My babe passed over the river and I cannot follow so I will make the river overflow so it will carry me over to be with him.’ And the water went over her head like the mouth of a great beast and she left my sight.

“Then in the same dream, I would suddenly see Grandpapa standing in the throne room all wreathed in fire, in his hair and on his horn and his legs. I said, ‘Grandpapa, why are you full of fire?’ And he said, ‘The river took my wife and my son so I will burn it up.’ So I said, ‘But only the river can take you to them.’ He then told me, ‘Then I will bring the river back.’ And he took all the smoke from the fire and threw it to the ceiling and they turned into stormclouds and poured out rain that filled the room and swallowed him up, so he was hidden from my sight.”

Cadence blinked and her expression abruptly regained it’s frightened look, her eyes darting between her sister’s with fearful anticipation. Sunset’s face was twisted in horror and she had pushed herself as far into her chair as possible, while Celestia’s face was soft with compassion but quivering with an edge of anxiety.

Luna wasn’t certain what she felt, it reminded her of when the explosion from Grandpapa’s magic inferno had struck her and she had felt shivery and numbed.

Somehow she found herself being the first to speak, “You dreamt all this?”

“Yes,” Cadence said.

“You haven’t told anypony?” Sunset demanded.

“Only you three and the Maker know,” Cadence insisted.

“You must tell Mama first thing in the morning,” Celestia said. “And then she will tell the Holy Seer what you saw.”

Cadence suddenly sat up, her face ashen. “Oh no don’t tell the Holy Seer!”

“Why not?” her sisters said all at once.

“He will take me and chain me in a hidden room beneath the temple to burn foul incense to compel me to prophesy before him forever!” she cried.

“What?” Celestia said and Sunset added, “Who told you such madness?”

“Luna!”

When Celestia and Sunset turned to her, Luna put her hooves up in defense. “That was a story from ages past, before Asgard was even united! It was under the False Seer, and he used to find true seers to serve him so he would appear to be--”

“Oh shut up,” Sunset said in a tone of great exasperation. “Haven’t you done enough already, filling her head with such nonsense stories!”

“They’re not nonsense, they’re our history and if you’re so set on being the All one day--”

“Both of you be still!” Celestia snapped. She rubbed her eyes with her hooves furiously, as if trying to wipe them off her face. “We’ll tell Mama tomorrow and she will decide what’s to be done. That’s it. Now I just want to go to sleep.”

As if to emphasize her point she flopped down on the bed and pulled the covers up to her chin. Cadence followed suit as did Luna, while Sunset remained firmly planted in her chair.

“Go to bed, Sunset,” Celestia said.

“I’ll sleep where I please,” Sunset snorted.

Luna’s eyes rolled behind their closed lids.

***

“Lulu are you still awake?”

“Yes, Tia.”

“So am I, if it matters.”

“It doesn’t.”

“Don’t you two start again, you’ll wake Cadence.”

“Wake her, I’ll never sleep again because of her.”

“Perhaps it’ll improve your personality, my lady heir.”

“Oh, Bor and Faust help me.” Luna sighed deeply and sat up, shoving the covers off her body. “This night will never end.”

“I could barely lift my hooves when they sent us away for bed and now I couldn’t sleep if you offered me a kingdom,” Celestia said, also sitting up and using her wing to fan her face. “Sunset, open the window. There isn’t a drop of air in this room.”

“No, the wind will bring the soot in here from the throne room,” Sunset said.

“When will that be fixed, before or after we die of asphyxiation?”

“If you weren’t all piled in one bed you wouldn’t be so uncomfortable. Just exert yourself for once in your life, Celestia.”

Luna threw her legs over the edge of the bed and dropped to the floor, walking around the bedframe and over to the window.

“What are you doing, didn’t you just hear what I said?” Sunset cried.

“I’m going to throw myself out the window to find some peace. Shut it when I’m gone if you’d like,” Luna said, unlatching the window and shoving it open.

A deliciously cool breeze flowed directly into her face and Luna released a long sigh of relief. She threw her front hooves over the windowsill and stuck her head out into the night air, the half moon casting gentle milky veil over everything.

“When Papa comes in here tomorrow and sees soot covering everything don’t think I won’t tell him who's repson--”

“There’s no soot, the wind is coming from the opposite direction.” Luna added under her breath, “Why don’t you relax and enjoy something for once in your life.”

Luna heard hoof steps approaching and braced herself for an angry tirade but Celestia instead of Sunset came up beside her, putting her own hooves over the sill and her head out the window. Her long pale pink mane hung over the window’s edge, dangling and wavering in the wind like a glimmering banner.

“Ooooooh it’s lovely out tonight,” Celestia breathed. “It’s so clear. But they say the sky and air is clearer after a great storm.”

“I’ve heard that too,” Luna said. After a pause she said, “I wonder if Grandpapa summoned that storm as well as the fire.”

Celestia rubbed her forehead with her hoof as if she suddenly had a headache. “Don’t think about him.”

“I can’t help it, I was the last to ever see him. Sometimes I wonder if I ought to have gone after him or said more to him.”

“Don’t consider that. That’s what Grandmama kept saying to herself and see what became of her.”

That was terribly chilling and very unlike Celestia to speak of, which provoked Luna to give her a shocked look. Celestia must have seen it, though she kept staring straight ahead, because she said defensively, “That’s why I’m determined never to speak or think on sorrowful things. The world itself is already so full of grievous matters that can never be helped, but my nature can and so I’m set to be merry in every circumstance.”

“Sounds a lot like willful blindness to me,” Sunset said from her seat behind them.

Celestia spun around and spat, “Well what do you call your outlook--despotism?”

“No it’s called pragmatism.” Sunset turned around in her seat to face them, her expression suddenly very fierce. “Do you recall how Papa got his eyepatch? Of course you don’t, neither of you were there. Well I was and this was it:

"Papa had me sit in on of the council meetings to learn my future duties and there arose some dispute on the subject of opening the Bridge again, to quash some quarrel in Hekkerhiem before it infected the other realms. And Grandpapa was against it for you know how he despised every grain of dust that was not Asgardian since it caused so much grief and distance in the relations between him and his father.

"But Papa thought it wise course since if Hekkerheim ever got a hold on another realm they might gather enough strength to strike at us. So he and Grandpapa got into an almighty row so that all the council blanched and I thought the roof of the room would come crashing down upon us.

"Then Papa said Grandpapa was acting out of willful blindness and in answer Grandpapa took hold of his scepter and struck it across Papa’s face. It split the flesh from his crown to his eyebrow open so blood went pouring all over his face and the force directly drove into his eyeball.

“And while everypony was rushing about calling for the physician or attempting to assist Papa with the pain or holding Grandpapa back since he was still in a fury and trying to hit Papa again--I sat in my seat forgotten and watched. I saw in that moment my father, so noble and mighty and immovable, reduced to a bloody victim and my grandfather, the all-powerful All-Father of the most formidable realm, revealed as just a violent, cowardly lunatic. What is a child supposed to think of her station and her ancestors and her kingdom when the two pillars that supported it are knocked down?

“Every since that moment I have turned it over and over in my mind, in all my waking and resting hours. And the conclusion I arrived to was that if anypony else had done thusly to Papa, he would have died. But because Grandpapa was the sole authority in that room, he lived on and instigated more such mad events, culminating in burning and blowing up our ancestral home which took the lifespan of two All-Fathers to build!

"So in conclusion, I understood that the only thing that secures safety, stability and sense in the world is the strength of arm to enforce your will. In short, it is power. Only that.

“So when the day comes and I am All-Mother, I will rule first and foremost by impressing upon my family, my servants and my subjects that I am the sole power in this land and none suprasses me unless they court destruction. Therefore I will be established until the end of my days.”

There was a very long stretch of silence and Luna was glad Sunset’s burning gaze was aimed solely at Celestia.

Those horrible sulphuric eyes...

No, not again, not one more time! First Grandpapa then Papa and now Sunset, they cannot all have the exact same spirit in their eyes. Your mind is playing tricks on you again.

“Do you intend that to be your All-Mother coronation speech? It’s long enough,” Celestia said disparagingly, striding up to Sunset in her brilliant, brazen way. “You call Grandpapa lunatic and Papa victim for the sake of one incident? You are more narrow minded than if you had blinders. Do you want to know how Grandpapa and Papa’s states truly were before Vasilios and Grandmama’s death?

“You remember that time for merriment I made those puppets, Luna wrote a little play for them and you demanded to direct it? And we had Cadence and Vasilios do all the singing and effects, like banging a drum or tossing confetti at the puppets. We set ourselves up behind the settee in the nursery and it was one of the few times we were all together with no servants or politicians, just our family.

“Grandpapa and Papa sat beside each other and for the whole of the play, and they couldn’t stop laughing because of how terrible and messy it was, while Mama and Grandmama tried to make them behave. And for days after that they would quote the worst lines to each other and burst into laughter.

“That’s how they truly were. Yes Grandpapa was touched in the head, and yes Papa bore the brunt of it so nopony else had to, but they were still father and son. All parents love their children and Grandpapa was no different, it wasn’t his fault he couldn’t express it properly at all times, and Papa is wise and pragmatic enough to understand that. Papa loved Grandpapa and that’s why he cried at the funeral today. Are you going to call him a victim because of that too, that somehow Grandpapa can reach from beyond the grave and crush him under his authority still?”

“He might,” Luna said, speaking aloud before she could stop herself.

Both Sunset and Celestia turned on her with looks of scandalized incredulity.

What?” they demanded simultaneously, with Sunset adding on, “I knew those old books were addling her.”

“I don’t mean that how it sounded,” Luna said quickly.

“Then what did you mean?” Sunset said. “Don’t leave us in suspense now, storyteller. You love words so much, don’t tell me you’ll allow Celestia and I beat you in that regard.”

Luna shrank against the window, the breeze now hitting her back and feeling chilling rather than soothing.

“You have to tell us what you meant now, Lulu,” Celestia urged. “I’m not getting any sleep tonight anyway, it isn’t as if anything you say will change that.”

“It’s just nonsense, my mind works such miserable fancies,” Luna said.

“Everything you say is nonsense, I wish you were as reticent about it always.”

“Shut up, Sunset. Luna, just tell us or it’ll eat you alive as these things always do.”

At Celestia’s insistence, kinder than Sunset’s but still with an uncharacteristic edge, Luna gave in.

“All I meant by it was that Grandpapa had a way of casting a shadow over you and that it clings even with him gone.” When her sisters still looked at her in expectation she blurted out as quickly as she could:

“You remember when I used to stay up for hours staring out of the telescope, because I was hoping the stars would imprint themselves in my eyes? Well one day, when we were visiting their royal chambers, I told Grandmama and Grandpapa about it. Grandmama laughed and said I was very amusing as always.

“But Grandpapa instead leaned down from his great height--remember I was smaller than Cadence then, so it was a long journey--to look me right in the eye. And you can imagine how impressive this was to me even at such a young age, I knew even then he hated to look anypony in the eye. But when he did look at me, it was like he was considering how to break open my skull, so he could pull out all the stuff within that was displeasing to him.

“Then spoke to me--I don’t remember him ever speaking to me before this--and he said this: ‘When you were born, they told me you had the new moon in your eyes, they were so dark. But I look in them now, and I see no such promise of renewing light. I see supermassives in them, and if you continue in this way you’ll take the stars out of the sky. So keep them closed, darkling.’”

“So?” Sunset said. “I was expecting a black curse or the summoning of Faust’s spirit, the way you were acting.”

Sunset’s dismissiveness suddenly angered Luna and she stamped her hoof, exclaiming: “You dolt, can’t you comprehend insinuation or is your mane the only bright thing on you? The way he spoke, how he looked at me! It was like he was prophesying some great doom over my head, like he peered into my mind’s eye and saw all this darkness within it.”

“You’re just assuming that’s what he meant,” Sunset said. “It sounds to me like the common ramblings he spouted in one of his dark moods. And what you’re spouting sounds like it came out of your grim tomes. That’s where any darkness in you comes from, you’re too simple to have any real wickedness.”

“I am sadly compelled to agree with the dolt on this one,” Celestia said. “Grandpapa said many things in his moods that had no grounding in reality. You simply were the subject of this particular one.”

Luna felt outrageous aggrieved, as if they had each spat in her eye. She had been kept up so many nights with the memory of that event, her nightmares had been exaggerations of it and it had tainted her view of herself all this time.

And these two felt they could just sit there and dismiss it, because Lulu’s the dreamer and the storyteller just nice words for lazy and liar, empty-headed except for dusty old stories of dead folk and false tales of ghosts and monsters--

Luna shook her head, trying to loose it from the angry clutter the thoughts caused. But she couldn’t let this rest and so looked both her sister’s dead in the face and spoke in the bone-chilling tone she recalled her Papa using earlier that day when chastising her:

“What I meant by that story was to illustrate that Grandpapa had a power to make you feel lowly and frightened. When he spoke to you, no matter how nonsensical it sounded, he could make it run through like a sword and permeate everything like a fever. So maybe Papa does feel like Sunset said, like Grandpapa still rules over him beyond the grave, because his words won’t die with him.

“Words can’t die unless they’re forgotten, and Grandpapa’s won’t be, and the more they’re remembered the more power they have. Words shape all things that’s why the foundations of the most potent magic is in spells, that’s why all things are given names, and why we write down our histories.

"So what I was attempting to say, is that I think it’s obvious Papa cried because his beloved parents and little brother are dead. But that you can love someone and feel oppressed by them all at once. And maybe Papa feels thusly.”

Luna expected silence to follow this, after all it had been long and well-spoken, but instead Sunset rolled her eyes so dramatically her irises disappeared and said, “Wonderful. Another nervous, superstitious lunatic.”

Celestia abruptly started walking across the room, towards the double doors that lead out into the hall.

“Where are you going?” Luna asked.

“For a walk,” Celestia said shortly.

“Alone?” But the door slammed shut before the word even was out of Luna’s mouth.

“Probably not for long,” Sunset grumbled and stood up, stalking over to the door that lead into her bedroom. “She always needs somepony to hold her hoof.”

Luna winced as the door slammed behind her and looked at Cadence, but her sister was thankfully a heavy sleeper and didn’t even flinch at the sound.

The room now felt unnervingly empty and the wind made hissing sounds like a serpent in Luna’s ears. The moonlight alone now seemed to intensify and stretch the shadows, even her own shadow loomed out before her and seemed to take a sinister form.

Luna felt a violent shiver seize her body and rushed over to her bed, practically throwing herself in and diving under the covers. As she felt the warmth of the covers and her sister enveloping her, Luna suddenly felt exhaustion washing over her. So she shut her eyes and the darkness was profoundly comforting.

Author's Note:

Hey this update was even faster! Yes, I'm a dirty cheater and cut my overly long chapter in half so now you get TWO semi-long chapters.

And boy, is this one full of foreshadowing and irony and references no one but me will care or understand.

The major references here are Odin losing his eye (which in the Norse myth he gave up for wisdom, corresponding with Sunset's belief that the event gave her wisdom) and that Cadence's portrayal here was inspired by Alia, a minor character in David Lynch's Dune, who despite being a seven year old child with the mind of an adult and the magical ability to make her voice sound like the devil's, is probably the most adorable thing ever put to screen.

The title of the chapter is in reference to Dylan Thomas's poem "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night", a great poem I highly recommend.

All Father Erik's words to Luna, calling her eyes "supermassives", is a reference to the Muse song Supermasive Black Hole, which is not only an A W E S O M E song that I highly suggest you go and listen to right now but also very real black holes, the largest of their kind and, if Wiki is correct, "and is found in the center of almost all massive galaxies." Good luck sleeping tonight, kids!

In the historical account, Faust's children all have names who's meanings correspond with their actions:
Erasmus is Greek and means worthy of love (he dies upon seeing his mother's dead body),
Haroun is Arabic and means superior (he is the eldest and first to recover, also he is the one who seems most in command),
Monifa is an Egyptian name and means lucky (now doesn't that puts her suggestion of drawing lots into perspective),
Jeshurun is Hebrew and means upright (which is why he puts down the Olympians--yup, the Greek gods!--and suggest the most pious course),
and finally (my personal favorite) Midian which is Hebrew and means strife (I'm sure you can figure that one out. Also in the Bible, Midian was the tribe where Moses's wife came from--whose presence caused strife between Moses and his sister--and later on the tribe spent many years harassing and subjugating Israel).

I tried to inject as much humor here as I could, especially in the exchanges between Sunset and Celestia. Having four younger siblings myself, I have to admit we never fought like this ever. I also attempted to make the situation feel more domestic in comparison to the last chapter's opulence. I really liked writing the bit where Luna keeps hitting her vanity by accident with her brush, as a woman with long hair this can happen a lot especially when you're tired.

The foreshadowing and irony is probably already evident, but I like to hope some surprises and harsher in hindsight moments will be in store!

Thankfully, the next chapter will be a time skip so we'll finally move out of this rather dour funeral atmosphere. I hope it's as much as a relief to you as it is to me.