• ...
5
 64
 1,777

Made of Most Beautiful Things

The young dark blue filly with a streaming cobalt mane carefully picked her way through the blackened and smoking ruins of the Royal Archive.

“Lulu?” A slightly older white filly with flowing light pink hair stood in the doorway, warily glancing up and down the hallways. “Luna. Daddy said we were not to come here before they—”

“I’m merely inspecting to see what has been spared, Tia,” her sister said, pausing before a scorched bookcase. She ran her hoof over the seared spines of the books. She sniffed, the sound echoing through the vaulted room.

I ought to be sorrowful for Grandfather not a few old tomes…

But she could not summon up any emotion for Daddy’s remote, fearsome and wild-eyed father who roared when he did not get his way and looked on nothing with fondness except his late wife and son.

But these books...

To a princess who had neither the dynamism nor beauty of her elder sisters and often hid behind curtains at royal functions, these books represented the only contribution she could ever offer the kingdom: wisdom through knowledge.

I see now how I shall be remembered: Luna Odinmaden, third spare heir, the keeper of dusty tomes.

…Or burnt.

She didn’t mind that notion so much, or at least she was sure in time she would not. Time heals all wounds, she often heard people say.

They must not have read many history books.

“Lulu?” Celestia called from the doorway again. She was hopping from hoof to hoof anxiously. “We must leave now. The servants will surely find us.”

“They are all afield looking for Grandfather,” Luna muttered. She reached and carefully removed the least burned of the tomes. She ran her hoof over the embossed title, the gold lettering had drained down the leather binding but the title was still readable: The Collective History of Equinsgard.

“Luna?”

The princess spun around, clutching the book to her chest, to see her mother standing beside her cowering sister.

“She wanted to come, I told her—” Celestia sputtered but Frigga held up a hoof.

“Luna, you shouldn’t be here it is unsafe,” she said gently.

“I only wanted to assure the books were not all lost,” Luna said, realizing how selfish that appeared given the circumstances.

But her mother smiled at her. “I understand my best beloved. But let us wait until the sun rises and then we will together salvage what we can.”

Luna sensed her mother meant more than the archives but she simply nodded. She hesitated looking down at her book. “May I bring this with me?”

“Of course.”

Luna smiled and walked back to her mother and sister, tenderly cradling her treasure.

Later that night, while Father and all the able-bodied stallions were still searching the rain swept moor for All-Father Erik, Princess Luna sat up with a dripping candle, carefully examining the singed pages of the tome.

I will salvage you. I will heal what has been hurt.

***

The Collective History of Equinsgard as Salvaged from All-Father Erik the Mad’s Burning of Archives by Luna Odinmaden:

There was once a Flutter Pony Queen elected, as is the way of ruler ship with their people, who was held even amongst her own as the loveliest and most beauteous of all the Flutter Pony. Her hair was as soft as a newborn lamb’s and the color of a raven’s wings when it sits in the sun, her eyes were the color of the leaves when they are about to fall from the branches and her lips were shaped and colored like the sweetest apple, and her coat was clear like a diamond when it is polished.

On account of her beauty she had always many suitors and therefore she took many husbands, for the stallions and mares of the Flutter Pony marry many lovers in their lifetimes and may divorce them as quickly as they wed them. In the old days it grew so troublesome for many to share the contents of each other’s bed that there was made a rule that no Flutter Pony may have more than seven husbands or wives at a time and not marry more than two stallions or mares from the same family.

Now this Flutter Pony Queen traveled to the land of Equinsgard (this was many a generation before the Great Rift and the War of Black Blood and the Flutter Pony’s retreat into the realm Fellheim) for she was invited to the banquet of the All-Father of Borrson, Gandalf the Docile, and he desired to display the might of his name by having the greatest of all the creatures see the richness of his table and the wealth of his land. And the banquet lasted forty days and forty nights and on the twenty-fifth day the Flutter Pony Queen laid her eyes upon a young duke of Equinsgard by the name of Edvard.

Now Edvard’s family was not great amongst the Borrsons but he was known by all for his beauty which many said was more on account of his tender spirit and kind manners, for there were many stallions of handsomer countenance than he, but above them all he was loved best and so was invited by the great All-Father to feast with him.

Upon seeing Edvard the Flutter Pony Queen was seized by the fiercest desire for him and went to All-Father Gandalf so he might introduce them. When Edvard was brought to her and stood before her, addressing her with all politeness and worthy speech she was so taken by passion for him that she begged him not to leave her side for all the evening nor any evening after for the rest of the feast. And Edvard knew this was not a righteous thing for stallion as himself yet unmarried to keep such constant company with a married mare but since he was only a lowly duke of his herd and she a great queen of hers he thought it more of a dishonor to disregard her requests.

But finally on the last day All-Father Gandalf went to the Flutter Pony Queen and said, “See here, you do my son a great shame to keep him at lap like one of your husbands, for he is unwed and you make of him like a common wanton.”

And the Flutter Pony Queen was much offended and answered the All-Father sharply saying, “I only do your son a service for he has these past fifteen days the attentions of a great queen who only seeks to hear his good and worthy words. I urge you, ask him yourself if I have done any wrong by him or tempted him to transgress your laws, for upon the souls of my children I have done no harm to his body or soul.”

And this was so in the letter of their dealings but not so in spirit for the Flutter Ponies prize shrewdness above all things, as one of their sayings goes: “If one can eat an apple from a tree without picking it theirs is the world.”

But now she saw All-Father Gandalf was truly angered (though it must be stated that this was out of no real concern for the honor of his subject but rather to spare himself from the whispers that had gone round the banquet since the Queen took Edvard to her lap and how he had sat by and done nothing while a Borrson was put to shame) and so she spoke to him more graciously and said, “Here, I see you are aggrieved by my way with your son so I will recompense you for this misuse, I shall marry this colt and lift the shame from his head.”

And at this there was a great uproar for then it was strictly forbidden a Borrson to marry any of the other people’s sons or daughters for they sought to keep themselves righteous in the sight of the Maker by the virtue of the purity of their blood. The shouting went on for half an hour until All-Father Gandalf finally lifted up his voice and said, “I cannot refuse or accept your proposal in place of the colt’s parents and seeing as they are not here there is nothing that can be done at present. So let us all retire and let the morning grant us the wisdom night deprives.”

But upon the morning the Flutter Pony Queen was more set in her desire than the night before, going to the All-Father before he had even broke fast and demanding he send for the prince’s parents so she might declare her intentions to them. All-Father Gandalf feared to affront the Flutter Ponies who in these days were mighty on the field of battle, so he bowed to her command and sent for the colt’s parents.

The colt’s parents were ones Aahnyas and Saffyra, the lowliest of the royal family in the kingdom on account of their meanness and deceit in all their dealings, it was said they had their daughters accuse stallions of their choosing of violating them to insure a marriage and set their sons upon unwitting fillies to lie with them and so acquire wives. Edvard’s good character was therefore hailed as miraculous considering his parentage for he took no part in his parents ways and spent the larger part of his time in the temple learning from the priests, for he had a great devotion to the ways of the Maker and was often said to have grieved that he was not born into the priesthood. It is also said that when he was yet a child and his parents came to fetch him home from the temple he used to weep and beg the priests to save him from them, but they being his lord and lady in the eyes of the law they could do nothing.

For this reason when they were summoned by the All-Father they came in great terror and trembling for they feared one of their connivings had touched too close to his heart and he was calling them to him so he might kill them. But when All-Father Gandalf called them into his throne room and the Flutter Pony Queen spoke to them, conveying with great ardor her vehement thirst for their son (she often did compare her need for him as a “unquenchable thirst”) their wicked minds began to turn as to how they might exploit this mare’s passion.

So they spoke in humble and fearful tones, saying they had no wish to offend the great lady but that they must consult a priest before speaking of their decision though they assured her it was most certainly in favor of her suit. So blind was the Flutter Pony Queen in her fervor that she did not perceive their deception, though this could also be accounted by the fact that the other peoples consider Borrson incapable of deception of any kind.

So she waited in All-Father Gandalf’s house while the parents went to the priests to inquire as to the law on this matter and the priest took no time in reminding them that it was forbidden for a child of Stallion to marry the children of the unclean peoples. They returned to the Flutter Pony Queen and told her though it pained them the priest was set against the match and they did not want to bring curses upon their son by transgressing the holy words of a stallion of The Maker, but that the law did allow for an unclean person to be consecrated and therefore free to marry into Borrson.

They Flutter Pony Queen therefore went to the temple and begged of the priest to consecrate her, and upon seeing the acuteness of her request he agreed to do so. This affair took two months for of all the peoples the Flutter Pony are considered the most filthy of the unclean on the account that they were born from violence and also as it had never been done to a ruler of the Flutter Ponies since the beginnings of their people.

When she was finally made clean, the Flutter Pony Queen called the parents to her and said to them, “See I am now as you are, unblemished and sanctified, your son will garner no curses from lying with me. Now give him to me as a husband for my heart burns for him.”

The parents answered her saying, “Great Lady, we are delighted at your uprightness towards us and our son and if it were only our hearts ruling the proceedings we would give him to you now but our law also compels us to defer until you have delivered unto us dowry to soothe our grief for the loss of our beloved child.”

When the Flutter Pony Queen inquired as to the amount they solicited of her an exorbitant sum, nearly half of what was stored in All-Father Gandalf’s treasury. And the Flutter Pony Queen agreed to their demand without a thought and wrote to her kingdom, ordering the amount to be sent her immediately from her personal treasury (for even before her queenship she was wealthy among the Flutter Ponies). So her servants saddled a caravan of 500 donkeys each with a chest containing gold, silver, bronze, all manner of precious jewels, goblets, candlesticks, carpets, tapestries and clothes, and yet this was still considered to be only a fraction of her riches. And when those of All-Father Gandalf’s court spoke in amazement at the amount she was willing to part with for the sake of a lowly prince, she said passionately, “I would sell my whole land and people into bondage if it would grant me a single day with him as my lover.” For this talk went out among the Borrson that she had gone mad but this profane manner of speech is wonted of the Flutter Pony.

When her caravan had reached the door of Aahnyas and Saffyra she sent for them once more and entreated them in the most desperate tone for their son. “You have received the acceptable remittance, now deliver unto me your son for I have known no peace in my soul since I set my eyes upon him.”

And they spoke to her saying, “Generous Sovereign, our hearts are truly comforted by your bountiful recompense for we have kept our son to ourselves all these years so great is our affection for him. But we are compelled by the law to disclose to you that our son may not wed a mare who already has a husband, for this is a great sin to our people.”

The Flutter Pony Queen then set about writing to each of her five husbands who remained at home with the Flutter Pony people a certificate of divorce. This caused much anger amongst her people for they thought it a low manner to conduct her business, also her continual absence from their land and matters of state had provoked much ill-will towards her. Many of her own family had written to her of this and pleading with her to return to her own people, but she refused to leave the land of Borrson without Edvard as her husband.

When the divorce requirement were concluded she went herself to the home of Aahnyas and Saffyra, though Saffyra alone was at home for her husband was out in the fields for it was now the time of harvest and all her unmarried children were aiding him.

Before Saffyra could welcome her, the Flutter Pony Queen spoke in a hard voice: “Where is my promised redress for the abuse you have heaped upon me, who has done you no harm but instead sought to elevate you throughout your own land by bestowing a lofty status on your son through his marriage to me. You have withheld my proper request these three times and I have humbled myself before your laws, cleansed my soul to the demands of The Maker, delivered up the most precious parts of my fortune, and put aside my faithful husbands all to ease your hearts. But no more, I require your son this very day or I shall go to your All-Father have him impose his forces on you until you deliver him to me, for my soul shall be sick until the colt is mine.”

At these furious words Saffyra drew herself up haughtily and said with insolent and vulgar manner: “My son is a child of the Firstborns and is beloved to the hearts of all our people, he shall surely marry an eminent mare of Borrson born clean from the filth of this Second Age. You are not worthy enough to lick the dust that falls from his boots though you are considered lofty amongst your own people, even dogs appoint themselves princes. Return to your own, mare, and trouble us with your bestial lust no more.”

And the Flutter Pony Queen’s heart went black with wrath and she lifted up her queen’s scepter in her hoof, striking it across the head of Saffyra so blood spurted from her temple and she fell to the floor dead. Upon seeing the blood and the body of her lover’s mother, she was greatly terrified and fled back to her apartments in All-Father Gandalf’s court where she barred the doors and set her guards at them, fearing some great vengeance for her rashness. But Aahnyas did not find the body until the Mother Star had set and he returned to his house with his sons, and they lifted up their voices in sorrow so all the servants in the house and workers in the field knew of the matter and soon the news was made known in the whole of the land, and there was little doubt as to the reason or the culprit.

Now All-Father Gandalf was loathe to be compelled into conflict with the Flutter Ponies so he went to the Flutter Pony Queen and asked that she leave under the cover of darkness so he might tell his people she had escaped back to her own land and he would not be urged to lay hooves upon her. Hearing his words, the Flutter Pony Queen wept immoderately and could not be comforted by any of her attendings so that her handmaid had to strike her across the face thrice before she regained her senses enough to agree to the All-Father’s plan. So a year and four months after setting sight on Edvard and the second night after the death of his mother, the Flutter Pony Queen fled the land with her attendings, and that very unwillingly for despite all this her soul revolted at being separated from the object of its longing. It is said she did not cease to weep for Edvard all the way to her own land.

Saffyra was buried in the tombs of her family and none mourned for her but her husband and a few of the children of her body, for even some of her sons and daughters despised her for her base nature and cruel ways. But Edvard is said to have wept much, but it was his nature to do right in all things and it would be an unrighteousness not to give little honor to the mare who bore him.

Now up to time of his mother’s death Edvard had not spoken either for or against the Flutter Pony Queen’s courtship for it was his belief whatever was The Maker’s heart in the matter would come to pass. After the death of his mother and the Flutter Pony Queen’s departure, he fell into a deep misery for he was seized with the belief that it was for his sake this unhappiness had visited his family, rather than the wickedness of his parents. All the laughter was taken out of his mouth and his countenance grew very somber so he no longer ventured out of his house nor received any visitors.

Now a year passed in this manner when a stallion named Jarl, a stallion of Borrson, journeyed to the Flutter Pony land and begged an audience with the Queen, saying he had news of Edvard, whereupon he was immediately ushered into her presence for she consumed any word of the prince like honey.

When Jarl was brought before her throne he fell upon his face and implored forgiveness for his deception, for he had no news of the prince but had come to the Flutter Pony Queen with a proposal that might deliver him to her.

The Flutter Pony Queen bid him speak and he spoke saying,

“Great Queen, the good prince’s parents, Aahnyas and Saffyra, afflicted me greatly. These people put my daughter, the most virtuous and obedient child, to shame for their son sought her when she was alone in the field and seeing there was none to deliver her from him, took her and lay with her, so she was required by the law to become his wife. And he drove her to such despair that she committed an outrage to herself and while heavy with child cast herself from the roof of his house, so she could not be buried in the tombs of our family and brought grief and ignominy to our name. I sought justice from the All-Father but none was given and now what is there to be done for my other children for no stallion or mare will give their sons or daughters to wed mine for the act of misery of my sad daughter.

“Now I know these people made of you a mockery to our people and your own and I know your heart still yearns for their worthy son, who according to all you have done should be your proper husband, so I ask of you give me the means to bring to pass righteous judgment for their sins. My brothers and son will take their city to seize their riches and distribute them amongst those they have wronged and we shall bring the gentle prince Edvard to you to be a husband as you were promised.”

And the Flutter Pony Queen was pleased with his words and said all of hers that could be of assistance was theirs, even up to half her kingdom. So Jarl took four hundred of the Flutter Pony Queen’s soldiers with him to the land of Borrson and gathered two hundred of his male relatives and lay in wait in the mountains around the city.

Now their movements went unnoticed for the people were preparing for the celebration of Edvard’s wedding, for a queen of Borrson had asked him for a husband and Aahnyas, wary since the last failed suit of his son, consented immediately to her. So the stallions and mares were called from the fields into the walls of the city to slaughter the goats and crush the grapes for the feast. Then the night came when queen and prince were blessed by the priest to go forth as stallion and wife and sat down to their wedding feast to make merry with their friends before retiring to their bed. It was then that Jarl and his army attacked, they broke through the door of the city for there was none to guard it and ran through the city careful not to harm any stallion, mare or child they came to unless they were of Aahnyas’s blood and then only the stallions were seized and not those who were the husbands of his daughters.

They went into the hall where the feast was held and took Aahnyas and all his sons captive but they removed Edvard and locked him in his chamber with armed stallions to guard him, for they desired no harm come to him as to not offend the Flutter Pony Queen and on account of his righteousness. They also sent his bride and her family away, saying, “What have we to do with you? Why do you seek to share the portion of liars and robbers? Return to your home and bless The Maker for your deliverance from evil.” And she and her family fled and took nothing with them, so great was their fear.

But Jarl brought Aahnyas and all his sons he and his army had captured in the city and killed them with the edge of the sword, showing no mercy and paying no heed to the pleas of their wives or the cries of their children. And they slew 60 stallions of Aahnyas’s blood and all perished by the sword and none with a weapon in their hoof for they had all been taken drunk and unarmed. They also opened Aahnyas’s treasure room and took out the sum of the dowries given for each of his children’s marriages and returned them to the husbands and wives of his children. Then they sent his daughters and their husband and the widows of his sons all with their children out to return to their homes in peace.

They then took Edvard with the four hundred warriors of the Flutter Ponies back to the Flutter Pony Queen and the prince did nothing to resist for he had been given no time to mourn and had seen the bodies of his father and brothers cast into the ravines outside the city for the birds and beasts to feast upon. And he spoke not a word all the journey to the land of the Flutter Pony though it took many a month and would have eaten and drank nothing unless the Flutter Pony soldiers had not coaxed each mouthful. So when he was brought to the Flutter Pony Queen she was distressed at his state for he was wasted from sorrow, hunger and fatigue and immediately sent for all her physicians to set upon him to make him well again, and this took a full two months.

When she was told of the slaughter of her prince’s father and brothers the Flutter Pony Queen was greatly dismayed at the shedding of so much blood as it was her belief that Borrson never harmed one another except within the execution of their laws.

“Never did I comprehend Borrson’s enmity for the Flutter Pony until they behaved in our fashion,” she said to her attendings and her words went down as a saying among the Flutter Ponies and Borrson.

After Edvard had been tended to and rested for two months the Flutter Pony Queen called him to dine with her in her chambers. When he came she had him sit at her right hoof, offered him wine from her own cup and all the food she ordered served to him first before her. And she spoke gently to him and inquired as to his health and if he found her land pleasing, and he answered all her questions with lowered eyes and humble tones.

Seeing his apprehension the Flutter Pony Queen took his hooves in her own and said to him, “My prince, do not fear me, I swear on the salvation of my soul that no harm will come to you under my roof.”

And Edvard answered, “I do not fear you, Great Queen, my silence is from my sorrow for my father and my brothers lying unburied without the walls of my ancestors.”

The Flutter Pony Queen grew angry at the remembrance of Jarl’s treachery and spoke hotly, “I shall have your All-Father execute the murders of your blood and their bodies shall be delivered unto me for my people to wreak their dishonors upon them!”

But Edvard was frightened by her words and falling on his knees begged her with tears not to do such a harm to her soul by harming those who had done her no wrong.

The Flutter Pony Queen said, “Indeed they did me a terrible wrong for they deceived me as to their plans and had me believe they only sought your father’s money as recompense for his offenses against them and told me not that they sought his death nor those of your brothers. But even if they had not come to me to exploit my indulgence for bloodied trespass, any who bring unhappiness to your heart are enemies of my soul for you are my spirit is bound to yours like the vine to the tree.”

And now Edvard knew all of the design of the death of his father and brothers for until now he knew nothing but what he had seen and he began to moan, tear at his coat and beat his breast, crying to The Maker that he might die and be with his own. And when the Flutter Pony Queen attempted to comfort him he refused to hear her words but wept all the louder, saying: “Truly The Maker has cursed me for He has used me as the tool of destruction for my family to remove us from the face of the earth.” Nothing the Flutter Pony Queen said would console him and he did not cease his lamentation until he fell senseless from the labor of his grief so her servants were required to carry him to his bed. From that day forth there was no peace in his heart but daily he grieved for his family and prayed for The Maker to strike him. The Flutter Pony Queen attended him without ceasing, pleading and reasoning with him by turns to not let his sorrow so overcome him that he did not see the mercy of his The Maker to spare him when the proper time for his father and brothers came, for did he not once tell her that it was The Maker’s authority only to give life and take it away? But his grief was too great to perceive the wisdom of her words and so still he grieved. And yet so attached was the Flutter Pony Queen’s heart to his that even if she was drawn away from his side if he began shed tears she knew without being told and rushed to his side as a nursing mother does to an unweaned child.

And they both as one, prince and Queen, began to wane in health so that her family spoke to her severely, “Cease this unmerited mourning for those unworthy stallions and tell the colt of the evil they wrought to bring this end upon their heads, that for this very reason none in his own land mourn their demise nor seek to reprise the violence against them.”

But the Flutter Pony Queen answered them “Shall I bring more sorrow to his heart by uncovering the shame of his parents and brothers and sisters? Would I love a stallion who did not grieve for his blood when they were taken from him in such barbarous manner?”

At this her family grew vexed and declared, “We will have none of your possession with this Stallion-child anymore, he has made of you like a bitch weeping for the moon. We shall only return to your side when you have put him away as all sickly fillyish fancies should upon the saneness of marehood.”

So her family did as well as their word and went no more to her house as their family but if she wished to speak with them had to order their presence as Queen. The Flutter Pony Queen did not call them for it was as if all her family were embodied in the prince and she was often heard calling him her father, her mother, and all her brothers and sisters to her heart. But Edvard did not receive any of her love but grew to despise the very sight of her, unable to suffer her to touch him and barely endure her speaking to him. His tongue became harsh like the lash of a whip and his countenance very dark so that her attendings said he grew very ugly in appearance and spirit, even to the measure that on one occasion when the Flutter Pony Queen said she would give anything if only he would smile upon her he demanded she give his mother back unto him. Yet nothing he did or spoke could turn the Flutter Pony Queen’s heart away from him and she soon grew ill of body for want of his affection, sleeping little and unable to stomach much food.

Now all her kingdom grew concerned for she had not come to any royal council or assembling, wholly neglecting her affairs of state so it all fell upon the Flutter Pony King who had been elected beside her and who she had married, for Flutter Ponies who are elected to rulership besides each other often marry though it is still undetermined whether this is a determinant or advantage. She having divorced him to please Edvard’s parents when they said, “Our son cannot marry you for you are already wed,” had not spoken with him since and he had often spoken bitterly of his treatment by her, saying that as King she should have shown more respect for their union than that of her other husbands, though she had been wed to them all longer than he.

So when the Flutter Pony people began to complain at the slowness of proceedings in all things of state he set in his heart to take vengeance upon his former mistress and to remove the inflictor of his distress who he believed was Edvard for stealing the affections of his lady. He accordingly sat at his desk and wrote to the sisters of Edvard, saying thus: “The Queen of my people has bought your last living brother as restitution for the soldiers she gave to the murderers of your kin so they might deliver him unto her to fulfill her profane lusts, all against his will for she holds him in her house under guard to make use of him like a harlot. Now I pray you implore their husbands to speak with your All-Father to compel her to return him and I and my people will support his petition in your name for we abhor her wretched and cruel dealings with you.” And he signed it with his royal seal and sent it on the swiftest ponies in the land.

And Edvard’s sisters did just as the Flutter Pony King wrote and through their perversity of their harassment convinced their husbands to petition All-Father Gandalf without ceasing so that he gave in rather than have his people believe the Flutter Ponies were free to steal from his fold without repercussion. So he sent a messenger to the Flutter Pony Queen who demanded: “Deliver my son unto me who you have taken through depraved means from his family after ensuring their unjust demise.”

But the Flutter Pony Queen sent the messenger back saying thusly: “Tell me who has lied to you and slandered my name as to say I had any foreknowledge of the cruelty visited upon Aahnyas and his sons or took anything that was not my due in the eyes of your own law for in the sight of The Maker and all your children I did all it did require to make this son my rightful husband and only through the treachery of his father and mother did I not obtain him. Is your authority so little that you must suffer your people to exploit your guests before your eyes and then endure them spreading calumny on their names?"

And the All-Father was deeply ashamed for he knew had done nothing when Aahnyas and Saffyra abused the Flutter Pony Queen who was a stranger under his roof. But the Borrson became angered with All-Father Gandalf and began to grow riotous, crying day and nights before the palace gates for him to rise up and break the yoke the Flutter Ponies had put about his neck. So set upon day after day on all sides All-Father Gandalf sent word to the Flutter Pony King, saying: "My people are greatly enraged at the actions of your partner the Queen and press me daily to go forth in force to take my son, but I am loathe to offend you and so humbly ask upon the goodwill between us to remember the generosity and the hospitality I have exchanged with you and speak with your Queen on my behalf for the swift return of my son."

And when the Flutter Pony King received this word he went out into the middle of the city and cried out with a loud voice, "People, gather to me and hear the words of the All-Father of the Borrson and how his hoof is set against us for the grasping of one Flutter Pony!" And the Flutter Pony people gathered about him and he read the words of All-Father Gandalf to them upon which they became wroth with fear and fury, so they called for the death of the Flutter Pony Queen as the only thing that would sate them.

So the Flutter Pony King lead the people to her home where she sat at Edvard's side where it was she heard their shouting as they approached And she rose, put on her royal sash and crown and stood on the balcony of her house to speak to them.

When they came within sight of her house the people began to fling insults at her, calling her a harlot and a traitor and threatening all manner of savage violence upon her person, which is the common practice to all who offend the Flutter Pony. She waited and spoke not a word until they had reached her door and then she held up her hooves which silenced the people more out of curiosity as to how she would defend herself rather than obedience.

"My brothers and sisters, why do come to me like wolves on a doe, gnashing your teeth at me when I have no means of defense?" So the Flutter Pony Queen inquired the mob.

The Flutter Pony King, who stood at the front leading the people, now answered her: "We come as the wronged party for you have provoked the Borrson to threaten us with war for the sake of that princeling who is hidden in your halls."

At this the people once again became furious and resumed their shouting. The Flutter Pony Queen waited until they had cried out for an hour before once again lifting her hooves to silence then.

She spoke to them thusly: "By our laws that which you offer up restitution for is yours and all assembled know well the measure I did give to the parents of this colt and how I was ignobly refused in transgression of every ruling of theirs and ours. Since when have the Flutter Ponies despised the means to acquire their rightful end? This colt belongs to me by all our rights given to us by our ancestors of sweet memory and accordingly there is not a Flutter Pony in the world who has the authority to take what is mine unless they have a better indemnify. Or do we now bow to the laws of Borrson, are Borrson now our lords and masters once again?"

At these last words the people erupted into a frenzy for there is no memory more heinous to the Flutter Ponies than that of the days the Borrson ruled over them and many say they were driven to pagan ways out of spite for the abuse they suffered under their hooves. And they turned on the Flutter Pony King, crying, "You seek to put us under the heel of Borrson once again for the sake of your own vengeance towards the Queen." And there was nothing he could say to calm them and was only spared harm by the remembrance of their law that a Flutter Pony ruler is exempt from violence so he was able to escape to his own house.

So the Flutter Pony King wrote to All-Father Gandalf: "The Queen has so seduced the people that they now think it a transgression of our laws to return your son unto. Therefore I tell you this: send one of his younger sisters to me and I will set her before the gate of the Queen's house above which in the walkways the prince often takes his air. And upon seeing his sister he will yearn for his home again and ask to be released to her and anything he asks the Queen will give him up to half her kingdom."

And All-Father Gandalf was pleased with the word of the Flutter Pony King and did accordingly, taking Edvard's youngest sister, a mere filly of fifteen, and sent her to the Flutter Pony land. And the Flutter Pony King set her before the gates of the Queen's house at the hour before sunset when it is coolest and Edvard walked along the walkways to take in the cool of the evening. When upon hearing the voice of his sister, he at first spoke sorrowfully to his attending, "My heart fancies I hear the voice of my babe sister calling my name as she did when my parents lived." But seeing the expression in the servant's eyes he looked over the rail of the walkway and saw his sister standing beneath with her hooves outstretched to him and crying in a loud voice his name.

Whereupon Edvard gave a cry of joy so loud that all in the house heard it and ran out to see what could have causes any happiness in him. And the Flutter Pony Queen looked out of her window and saw the child of those who had wronged her now come to rob her of her labored for prize, she ordered the gate bolted and all the windows to be shut. But Edvard ran out into the courtyard and threw himself against the gate, pawing at the doors like one gone mad and crying out for his sister so that when the Flutter Pony Queen came to the balcony overlooking the yard she commanded her servants to take hold of him for fear that he might do a harm to himself.

When they seized him he fought like any wild beast and attempted to take hold of the gate to keep from being drawn away but his hooves were slick with blood from beating them upon the gates so he was dragged way. But he wrested himself from their hooves and cast himself on his knees, clasping his hooves and begging the Flutter Pony Queen with tears to let his sister attend him. And there was none present who was not moved in their heart by the grief in his voice and it is said the Flutter Pony Queen's tears matched his own in profusion. But still she refused to grant his sister entrance for she was afraid and rightly so that she was sent to draw Edvard away from her. So the gate remained shut and the sister returned to the Flutter Pony King's house for the night.

All that night Edvard bowed at the feet of the Flutter Pony Queen and wept, pleading with her that if she truly had a heart for him to let him meet with his sister if only for an hour but the Flutter Pony Queen would not be moved though she cried to see his misery. The next day the sister came again and cried Edvard's name but all the windows were shut and no one went out of the house all day. All the day Edvard wept into the lap of the Flutter Pony Queen and she stroked his hair and shed tears but would not let the sister in. And this intransigence must be accounted for the natural state of the Flutter Pony, which is pure spite. This aspect of their nature is so pronounced that it is infamous among all the peoples, even the fanged Sirens who dwell in the sea have heard tales of their malice for their ill-will follows to the offspring of those who offended them even unto the tenth generation.

But it must also be given to the Flutter Pony Queen that her love for Edvard overcame her baser nature for after three days of his continual sorrowing she relented and allowed his sister to enter her house but she offered her no water to wash herself and no wine or food to refresh herself.

And when Edvard saw his sister he fell upon her neck and wept, unable to speak for the better part of an hour. The he and his sister sat together for five hours speaking of all manner of things and all while he shed tears unceasingly. The Flutter Pony Queen sat near them but did not speak but only watched and listened to their speech, for she was wary of his sister. But the sister said nothing to distress her all day and when night fell she went back to the Flutter Pony King's house. So for a fortnight it was thus, the sister spent her days conversing with her brother before returning to the house of her host and the Flutter Pony Queen sat with them unspeaking. Finally, on the fifteenth day the sister spoke to Edvard saying, "Tomorrow I must return home to attend the funerals of our father and brothers for we have acquired their bodies from Jarl to bury with our ancestors."

And Edvard grieved to know that he would not be present for the burial honors of his family but the Flutter Pony Queen spoke shrewdly, asking the sister: "How is it that you acquired the bodies from Jarl who hates you so furiously and cast their bodies into the ravines outside the city walls where many a beast was swift to feast on them?"

And the sister had no answer and the Flutter Pony Queen drew herself up in anger and said, "You see you are here to provoke the soul of your brother so you might draw him back to your land and detain him there with the memories of his wounds. Get yourself back to your own people and out of the reach of my hoof before my mercy is utterly exhausted and let me never see your face again."

So the sister fled without a word to her brother back to the house of the Flutter Pony King and departed that very hour. And Edvard, hearing the threat of the Flutter Pony Queen and witnessing his sister's abandoning of him, fainted away into such a deep stupor that he could not be wakened from by neither the Flutter Pony Queen or her physicians, so they all believed he would now surely die. And many in the Flutter Pony land rejoiced for they said, "Surely now his thrall will fall from her and she will return to her senses."

But the Flutter Pony Queen was sore sorry she had spoken harshly before him and for all she had done to grieve him so that her heart grew sick and her mind blighted. She wandered through her halls by day and night, tearing at her mane and flesh so her blood streamed down and pooled on the floor. And she cried out in a loud voice saying: "I have killed my heart, all that was precious to me is now ruin and rot, I have brought the worm and the fire to my forest and all that remains is ash in my mouth."

She also would no longer enter the prince's room but sat before the door repenting with moaning and weeping without ceasing. And she swore to The Maker upon her soul and the souls of all her children that if Edvard would but live she would return him to his people and never trouble him again.

On the seventh day Edvard awoke and he asked for wine which was given him and revived his countenance. Then he asked to see the Flutter Pony Queen, who stood without his chamber concealing herself from his sight and her attendings were compelled to coax her into his presence. And when she was brought in she was frightful of appearance for her flesh was torn and raw from her raking and she had neither slept nor touched food or drink for seven days. On the sight of her and the evidence of her sorrow Edvard's heart was touched and he called her to his side, took her hoof and spoke gently with her. And seeing his compassion the Flutter Pony Queen fell on him and kissed him and praised The Maker, saying: "The Maker has spared me the extinguishing of my soul for if this colt had died I would have surely perished along with him."

Now she was reminded of her vow and though with much sorrow she told Edvard that he was free to return to his home and people and never to suffer her face again. And Edvard’s heart was much lifted at the thought of returning to his land and when he was well the Flutter Pony Queen set about preparing for his journey, she gave him 700 servants saddled with caskets of riches including fine clothing, cups and plates of precious material, casks of wine, and boxes full of precious stones. And she gave him the gold medallion off her neck which had come down her family for nineteen generations and when he tried to refuse such a gift as too great she said to him, "My only treasure leaves me, this band is nothing but weight on my shoulders and now I have enough weight in my breast to last me. Take this and remember me fondly."

So with deep melancholy the Flutter Pony Queen sent the prince back unto his people though on the hour of his departing she kept drawing him to her breast and kissing him many times before she could allow herself to release him. Edvard showed regret at her distress but left in good spirits and is said to have sung all the way back to the land of Borrson. The Flutter Pony Queen stood in the road and watched until he and the caravan left her sight and then went into her house and sat in silence all the rest of the day. She had not shed a tear the whole of the day, not even in their farewells, and this was surely her greatest gift to the prince for she set aside her own grief for the sake of his happiness. And all this, her releasing him and sparing his heart her sorrow, was held as a wonder and a marvel by all in the land of all the peoples for that which a Flutter Pony possess they shall never relinquish without requitement and he had none to offer her yet still she surrendered him.

Edvard came back to his land and was welcomed by All-Father Gandalf, who took him into his house as he had no place to return to since the capture of his family’s city by Jarl. And All-Father Gandalf told him to ask anything that the All-Father might do to serve him since the prince had suffered much in so short a time. So Edvard said to All-Father Gandalf, “My father and brothers were unrighteously slain and there has been none to avenge them of the dishonors heaped upon them. I ask Your Grace that those who by consent or design plotted the downfall of mine be brought before your court and that proper justice be dealt to them according to our laws.”

All-Father Gandalf was very loathe to do this but he was compelled by the past sufferings of the prince to fulfill his vow and sent forth a commanded throughout the kingdom that those responsible by consent or design in the death of Aahnyas and his sons where to appear before him for judgment. When Jarl heard of the All-Father’s command he said, “Should I be afraid of speaking of my actions when they were brought upon by righteous indignation at the indifference to the evilness of these people?” So he and all his sons and all those who helped him scheme the undoing of Aahnyas, some 200 stallions and mares not of his own blood, and they all presented themselves to All-Father Gandalf and Edvard at court.

According to the laws of Borrson the accused may speak in their defense first so Jarl, his sons and the 200 all came forward one after the other and told of the wickedness Aahnyas and Saffyra wreaked upon them, sending their sons to violate their daughters when there was none to deliver them and slandering their sons to capture them in marriage, also robbing money and land from widows and orphans, denying pay to their servants, and hiding their sons at the call of the war horn so they would not die in battle. And this went on for ten days.

And upon hearing the crimes of his family spoken of at length and in particulars, inflicted on so many and so numerous that he had been ignorant of nearly the whole of them, Edvard’s heart was stricken with contrition. So on the eleventh day when All-Father Gandalf called him forth to voice his complaint Edvard instead said before the All-Father, the assembled court and all the slayers of his father and brothers, "My family was a blight upon our people and it is the curious justice of The Maker that they perished in the manner they did. I request no recompense but offer up myself to finish in full the payment for their sins."

But all those who had spoken against his family answered him, "May it not be said that we punished the innocent with the guilty for you are good and worthy and have done us no harm. We have settled with those we sought, we will have no more bloodshed."

The All-Father then declared the matter closed and sent each to his own house. And Edvard stayed in All-Father Gandalf’s house for five years and was like a son to him.

Then the Flutter Ponies sought to make peace with Borrson so the King and Queen invited All-Father Gandalf to a banquet at their court to feast with them, to which he agreed to attend and bring many of his own court with him. But he was cautious to pose the invitation to Edvard but the prince accepted and when asked if he was fearful of the Queen he said, “She never gave me cause for fear.”

They traveled to the Flutter Pony land and the Flutter Pony court where they were feasted and entertained for thirty days with the richest food and finest wine in the land for this is when the Flutter Ponies possessed the best land for harvest and game in the kingdoms. And on the twelfth day the Flutter Pony Queen met Edvard as she rounded the hall assuring the merriment of her guests and he spoke to her saying, “My Queen, the night is still long ahead and the wine is sweet, will you not sit with me awhile so we may speak as we did on our first encounter?” So the Flutter Pony Queen sat by him and it was clear to all that she still pined for the prince yet neither spoke of the matter but restricted their discourse to the topics they had talked of before all this had come to pass. And they remained that way all the rest of the days of the feast and none troubled them for their company, even the Flutter Pony King when asked of it by one of his guests merely said, “This feast was the bring peace between our peoples and from my place it seems to go smoothly. Leave them in peace.”


On the thirtieth day Edvard returned with All-Father Gandalf their own land and spoke not of the Flutter Pony Queen. It was soon learned of throughout the kingdom that they had begun to correspond with one another and for this reason there was much gossip for there were messengers weekly sent to and fro from the land of Borrson and Flutter Ponies carrying their letters and though both were often approached by suitors they refused to consider any of them. And when Edvard was invited again to the Flutter Pony land by the Flutter Pony Queen many said she meant to ask for him as a husband again but he went and returned in forty days, so most soon forgot of their suspicions as nothing came of them. But after two years in this manner Edvard went to All-Father Gandalf and said, “I implore your blessing that I might marry the Queen of the Flutter Pony.”

All-Father Gandalf was greatly astonished and questioned him gravely, “Do you truly wish to marry the mare who was the cause of so much misery to yourself?”

But Edvard answered, “The judgment of my family was right and just recompense for their sins, this lady cannot be condemned for the strange ways of The Maker for which she could not account for. The mare loves me well, she is no longer the creature she was when she first courted me, and my soul hungers for her alone. Please give me your blessing so I may make her my wife.”

Seeing his earnestness in this All-Father Gandalf gave his blessing and sent Edvard to the Flutter Pony Queen with a priest that they might be married in the manner of Borrson, and none of her family or people dared object to this seeing the lady’s joy at finally receiving him as her husband. So were made husband and wife immediately upon his arrival in the way of Borrson and went to live in her house together with her children from her previous husbands, and despite the madness of their former courtship they settled together in peace and accord so that even those opposed to the marriage could find no wickedness to speak of it.

One messenger reported that the prince spoke of his wife as “The tender reward of all my sorrows” and called her Tzeruya, which in the speech of the Flutter Ponies means “balm of The Maker”. Also the Flutter Pony Queen took no more lovers and this was indeed a marvel as she was the first Flutter Pony ruler to do so since the formation of their kingdom.

And they had many sons and daughters from their union and when the Flutter Pony Queen’s term of rule ended she went with her husband back to the land of Borrson where they built themselves a house in the mountains and they lived out the rest of their days together in perfect harmony.

So went the first marriage between the children of Borrson and Flutter Pony.

Author's Note:

So Avenging-Hobbits agreed to let me write some appendix material for Harmony's Warriors universe and so this is my first one-shot attempt (actually this is my first submitted fanfic EVER). I'm hoping these will offer some (hopefully) interesting stories and explanations for the situations and circumstances in the universe. Also I'm thinking that these anecdotes concerning the history of Equinsgard will also chronicle the downfall of Luna, her brief possession by Nightmare Moon, and her eventual redemption.

Edit: The original title "The Flutter Pony Queen" was changed to "Made of Most Beautiful Things", taken from the extremely long title of this painting . The change was made to keep with the tone the later chapter titles and also because I found the first one to be dull.