• Published 22nd Oct 2013
  • 3,057 Views, 65 Comments

Bronze Hoof - cowboybird



A cowboy gets sent to Equestria to be some sort of pawn in the schemes of a god, along the way he learns the value of friendship, and the pain of deceit.

  • ...
6
 65
 3,057

Devastation, Death, and Disorder

Devastation, Death, and Disorder

One week after the last raid on the town.

One week after Quick an I saved the children.

One week is all it took for Steel Fang, the alpha of the Metal Mongrels, to hear about his second beta’s death.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Somewhere in the waists, deep into bandit territory, a mighty howl was loosed from the lips of a mightier beast.
Lesser mutts cowered at the sound of their ruler’s anger. All around the underground city ears were laid flat against heads, and tails found their home between legs. Only a select few were seen standing tall and calm against the fury that was their alpha.

These were Steel Fang’s Special Forces. The diamond dogs stood with no fear in their hearts. They were neutered to prevent them from feeling any emotion. Their eyelids were cut off so that they were always able to keep watch on their prey. All were of the doberman breed. All were relentless killers. 20 cold blooded creatures stood at attention.

Each of them was watched over by a group leader. These ‘leaders’ were nothing more than the mind of the hunting party.
They controlled five of the Dobermans. They were of all different breeds, but all had wit about them.

They had been gathered in the throne room before the alpha so that he may send them on a glorious hunt. The alpha was barely visible, having most of his body submerged in shadow.

“I want that Bronze Hoof’s head before me! Track him down, make him suffer! Whoever kills the beast will become my new Beta. I will shower you with jewels and bitches. Now go! Go my hunters, bring me my prey.”

With their command given, each of the packs tore off into the dark tunnels that made the city.

Steel Fang smiled, and relaxed into his gold throne.

Soon this pain in the ass minotaur will be gone, and nothing will stand in his way of taking New Findings.

A maniacal laugh erupted from the throne room, reaching down the corridors. It chased the hunting parties out of the caves, and into the night.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“We should continue our tests.” Exclaimed an exhausted Gear Head as he slumped onto the ground after haulin baskets full of peaches from the east orchard to the storage area.

It had been a week and a half since we ran our last testin period, and I was not very ecstatic about goin through another.
I laid the handles of the cart I had been carryin onto the ground. The dozens of baskets holdin thousands of peaches bounced a bit from the landin. The settin sun gave the peaches a golden shine as it neared its slumber. I stretched my arm, careful not to pinch my fur with the armor I was wearin.

Quick and I had taken to wearin our scales while workin. It not only let us build up some muscle, but allowed us to become more comfortable in the bulky articles.

“I don’t know why you’re so eager to test again, we already reached the maximum heat your lil machine can put out. What else could we do?” I had built up a thin layer of perspiration, and was excited to get home and eat.

“There are dozens more tests you can take. There’s testing your blood for anything out of the ordinary, taking a sample of your skin to see if it has anything special, and seeing if an open wound would still carry out the same fire resistant properties of your unmarred flesh.” I gave him a questionin glare. The latter tests didn’t sound so appealin.

“How ‘bout, for now, we just nock it up to the gods smilin on me?” Gear shook his head, about to complain that more tests were necessary to determine my abilities potential when Quick landed on the ground.

“What’s up guys?” He dropped the last two baskets on the ground, and walked over to the water spigot and began pumpin the glorious liquid onto his head.

“How ‘bout we talk about this some other time?” I asked Gear, usin Quick’s arrival as a sign to head home.

“Fine. But this isn’t over.” He huffed and began to drench his mane in the water.

I chuckled and waited for them to be done before we made our way down the path.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The cover of night barely illuminated the hounds as they came over a cliff that over looked the city. The pack was well ahead of the other four since their leader was too ruthless to let them sleep. The silent Dobermans layed down, panting their heart out. Although they were the most athletic group, they were no match for their leader’s dexterity.

One Eye, the leader of the group was of the Weimaraner breed, and was made for running. Although his vision was impaired from a losing his right eye in a scrap, he was one of the most dangerous dogs in the den. He was ruthless, and always had his eye on the big picture. He trained his team of “pups”, as he called them, brutally.

One Eye laid on the ground, the pack following suite.

“We’ll take a break. We’ll watch the prey, know the prey. Only when we are ready to strike will we go in for the kill.” The Dobermans growled in understanding.

One Eye was a clever dog, the second smartest in the den, save for Steel Fang. When he heard of the other Betas falling to the eternal sleep, he knew his time had come.

He ran his pack harder than he had ever run them, just to make sure he was here a full 2 days before the others.

The scar running up the right side of his face curled, and scrunched as he smiled.

“Soon Mr. Hoof. Soon.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


As I made my way down the path to work, I couldn’t help but feelin watched. I constantly glanced over my shoulder, paranoia makin sure I was on edge.

“You ok Bronze?” Gear piped up. “You’ve been acting funny since we started into the orchard.”

“Yeah I’m fine, I just feel like I’m bein watched.” The usually invitin trees now only looked like cover for somethin to hide behind.

“I don’t know what you mean. I feel just fine.” He levitated a peach from one of the trees, and bit into it.

“Maybe you’re ri…” somethin moved off to my right. When I looked there was nothin, but if there was somethin, I wasn’t gonna be taken by surprise.

I stopped on the path, and began to put on my armor. I did so quickly, nerves makin me a lil shaky while doin so.

“Don’t you think it’s a little early for that? We still got a long way to walk.” Gear was about to go on before I shushed him.

“I saw somethin on the right. Don’t look, you might spook it. I think it might be a mountain lion, or a bear.” His pupils shrank.

Gear had always been afraid of bears, he let me and Quick know every day about his phobia.

I set the last strap into place and reached for my axe. Just as I grabbed its stem, and unhitched it from the back of my armor,
a dog jumped out from behind a tree, and went for my throat.

On instinct I swung my axe down, smackin it into the ground with the flat side.

It whimpered just in time for another mutt to lunge for me. Unfortunately for the dog, I was wearin my scales.

I blocked its bite with my plated arm, breakin a few of its teeth. I grabbed its hind leg with my free hand, and threw it into a tree.

Gear started screamin and runnin away. He didn’t carry his helm or shrapnel with him, he said it was too heavy for an everyday thing. He usually kept it in the Peach’s barn, and right now he was defenseless. Luckily for him, the hounds only seemed interested in me.

Just as I got on top of the first dog to lay some blows on it, three more sprouted from the trees, and sprinted for me.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


One Eye watched from the the jungle as Jaw Pincer released his hounds onto the minotaur. Pincer had apparently arrived at the town before sunset and made his foolish plan.

One Eye inwardly sighed.

How could somehound be so stupid? Not only did Pincer allow his Doberman to be seen, probably from lack of training, but he let the beast don his armor!

One Eye watched as Pincer’s mutts were hacked to pieces by the minotaur. Although he enjoyed the notion that there would be less competition, Mr. Hoof will be aware of the price on his head. His job just got a lot harder.

He told his dogs to draw back, this wouldn’t be the day that he would win his glory. He looked over his shoulder, just in time to see Jaw Pincer’s lower jaw cut off and his throat caved in.

“Soon we will meet Mr. Hoof. I look forward to it.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I panted as I killed the last of the mongrels, his blood spatterin my scales. As I scanned the area for more attackers I heard the whumph of Quick landin next to me. His sword was drawn and armor on, he looked ready for a fight.

He scanned the carnage that spread over a 10 foot radius. Blood and gore was thrown against trees and dirt alike. Quick let out a high whistle.

“You really did some work here mate. Are there any more?” He began readyin his himself for an attack.

“They’re out there, I saw some shadows in the jungle outside the orchard before you showed up. We better be gettin to the house to make sure everyone’s alright.” With that we ran off towards the Peach’s residence.

As we arrived we saw Peach Flower and the kids scuryin into the plantation style home. Mr. Peach and Gear were out front, arguin about somethin.

“Somepony needs to go into town and tell the militia that there is an attack.” Gear Head was explainin to Mr. Peach.

“Yes but I need you here if more show up. I’m no good in a fight, and you have your shards and that helmet of yours. You’re the only one that can stop them…”

Mr. Peach caught site of me and Quick, smilin brightly.

“You guys made it! So the problems gone?” The look on my face told him that another attack was imminent.

“I doubt it’ll be today, but soon there will be more.” I asked Mrs. Peach for a glass of water through the window. She nodded and disappeared from view. “There was somethin different ‘bout these dogs. All of them were Doberman, except for one.

They seemed for violent and trained then the others we’ve fought.”

Mr. Peach and Gear’s faces turned ashen.

Quick hung his head, and said, “Those were Steel Fang’s special forces. They’re ruthless mutts only sent out when he thinks he has a real problem. Considering they attacked you, I’m guessing he wants you gone, mate.”

I let the information sink in. It didn’t occur to me that I would be focused on, or that there even was a special forces. I was under the impression that the mutts just had a rag-tag group of hounds they sent out whenever they needed somethin.

“Well at least the problem is focused on me, I saw another group in the jungle when I finished off the first. Gear what do you think? Why wouldn’t they join in to take me down.”

The unicorn thought for a minute before respondin.

“You killed the beta on the mountain right?” I nodded, “Then the only thing that makes sense is that Steel Fang ordered groups of the hunting parties to kill you, the leader of the one that does would become the new beta. That is if he hadn’t already found a new beta, and just sent the killers in teams.”

Mrs. Peach came out with a couple glasses of water, along with a pitcher with ice. I drank heavily, replenishin my energy with a few gulps of cooled H2O.

As I finished the water I looked over at the peaches.

“I think it would be better if ya’ll would stay in town for tonight. At least until we know the problems gone.” They nodded and
went inside to gather the kids and their belongins.

“We need to go tell everyone to bunker down. Quick, can you go to all of the militia’s houses and tell them to get ready?” He took into the air, flyin high and fast towards town.

“Gear, we’re gonna stay with the Peaches until they’re safe, ok?” He agreed and went to the barn to get his helm and shards.

By the time he returned, the Peaches were ready. I put most of their belongins in a cart, grabbed the handles, and started down the path.

Fuzz kept questionin what was goin on, his parents kept tellin him that they were goin to stay in town for the night because of the mice infestation in their home. Fuzz wasn’t that stupid, and finally pulled the truth out of his parents.

“Another attack?!” he nearly jumped out of his coat. The last abduction had given him a decent hatred for the mutts, and nightmares.

“You’re going to protect us, right Bronze?” I glanced back at him, smiling.

“Of course buddy, I wouldn’t let anyone hurt you or your family.”

He smiled as I set his mind at ease. What he didn’t know, is that they weren’t the ones in danger, I was.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


By the time we got into town, a crowd had formed in the center fountain. The militia was ready, and Quick was doin his whole ‘they’re gonna kill us, so we need to kill them’ speech, gettin them nice and riled up. I saw the militia leader in the group and he waved me over.

The head of the militia was Fence Founder, a tall unicorn stallion with a white coat and blonde mane. He used to be one of Celestia’s personal body guards before he retired to live a quiet life in the jungle. His baked goods shop in the heart of town was one of the best places to get cupcakes and other sweets. When the dogs started to attack New Findings, he was the first to step up to protect the town. We always joked about how, in a fight, Fence would someday snap and throw cupcakes at the hounds. Today was no day for jokes though.

When I got to where he was, he motioned me to the side where no one would hear us.

“So we got a hit on you, huh stretch?” His rough voice reminded me of a drill sergeant, powerful and in charge.

“Yeah, Quick says the Doberman pack that attacked me were Steel Fang’s Special Forces. Although it wasn’t the hardest fight, they were pretty good.”

“Must have been a new group. These dogs are nothing to mess with son, they’re tactical and have no fear. Don’t expect all of them to put their necks under your blade. The one you really need to watch out for is the group led by the dog with one eye. In my experience he is the most dangerous. Be careful out there boy.” I nodded and made my way to the official buildin.
As I entered the buildin, I heard yellin from within the Mayor’s office. I approached the door, only to hear a familiar voice from within.

“You can’t let Killian be in militia, he’s so small. He’d only be a hazard to those around him. He doesn’t know how to fight, let alone kill!” Minnie’s voice hollered through the oak door.

“I know that he isn’t that big, but we need all we can get. Besides, he signed up for it. It’s volunteer only.” The mayor’s oddly feminine male voice barely made its way to my ear.

“Well if he can join, so can I!” At this point I decided to let myself in.

The mayor was taken aback by my intrusion, at least until he registered it was me. His auburn mane was cut very stylish, as was his tail. His steel colored coat shined as always as he let out a breath he caught when I walked in.

“Oh, hello Bronze. Could you please tell Minnie here that her joining the militia is a bad idea.” I looked over at Minnie, givin her a hard look.

“Don’t you say a word, mister. Killian joined, and I’m stronger than he is. I need to protect my husband, and Tin.” I shook my head.

“If you’re out in the fray, whose gonna watch Tin, huh?” She looked down, ashamed.

“I just want my husband to come back to me. I was lost to him once, I don’t want his to be lost to me.” A tear fell down her face. I went over to her and hugged her tightly.

“Can’t you watch over him Bronze, just keep him near you, please.” I sighed.

“That wouldn’t be such a good idea. That’s actually why I’m here.” I let her go, and looked over at the Mayor, “The dogs that attacked me were a hit squad, and there will be more on their way. I need to go someplace out of town where I can hold up. Drag them into a bottle neck where they can’t surround me.”

Minnie almost knocked me down with how hard she socked my chest.

“Don’t you dare leave Bronze! This is your home! We are your family! Don’t you dare leave us behind.” She was cryin again. I tried to give her another hug, but she was still angry. “Besides, there’s nowhere that they can’t surround you. There’s no bottle neck point.”

The mayor shot in, “There is one. The mountain where the dragon resides, or used to. There’s no way those dogs would be able to surround you. If what you say is true, and these mutts are killers, then they won’t know how to dig. They wouldn’t be able to come up behind you. Besides, if you really need to, you can get that pony that lives in the cave to help you. I’m sure she can do something that would act as a distraction.”

I thought it over, and he was right. The best play would be the one out on the mountain side.

“Sounds good to me. I just need three volunteers. I’m sure I already have Quick, so I just need a magic user, and a long distance shooter.” They looked at me oddly. “Right, forgot that ya’ll aren’t in the militia. Minnie don’t join, and I’ll talk to Killian about it. I have to go, bye.”

As I made my way out into the streets I saw that Quick had done his job, and the Guerrillas were ready for battle. I motioned
for Quick to come over to me.

When he came over he slapped me on the back, “looks like the town wants to protect their new champion. Champion of the Jungle was it?” he let out a hardy laugh.

“Well that’s good for them, but I’m takin this outside of town. If I’m the one they want, then I want to get the fightin as far away from the citizens as possible. I’m gonna be headin for the mountain, lead them into a bottleneck, but I need some help.”
Quick cut me off, “Don’t worry mate, I got your back.”

“As do I.” Gear popped his head out from behind me. “You guys don’t think I’d let my two best pals go out into a fight without me, do you?”

He was already wearin his helmet, and had the shards in a satchel on his side.

“I think this might be a lil dangerous for you Gear, I mean, you’re a thinker, not a fighter.” He huffed in the way that he does.

“I’m not going to let you two go off into some horrible fight without a little magic at your side.” He seemed so determined, I didn’t think we could persuade him to stay.

“Fine, but stay away from the fightin, I don’t want you gettin hurt.” He smiled, happy to be a part of the team.

“Well I was hopin for a bow for long range, but I guess this will have to do.” As we started off towards the forest, an arrow soured over my head, and into an apple hangin from a tree.

I whirled around, searchin for the shooter. When I saw Killian holdin a bow, I almost laughed.

“You damn near took my head off, Kill. What’re you doin with a bow anyway?” He strode up to us.

“I heard you guys needed some range, so I’m here to help.”

“Oh, no no no. If I get you hurt Minnie will kill me.” I didn’t think that bringin Killian into the fight would win me any brownie points with the temperamental woman.

“I ran into her outside of the Mayor’s office, she told me what you were doing. I already told her that I’m coming with you guys. You brought me back the love of my life, I’m not going to let you die out there. Minnie understands, she says the safest spot is with you anyway.” I went to cut him off, but he stopped me, “I’m coming with you either way. I’m the best shot in town with a bow, and you need me.”

He had me there, and without seein a way out of it, I had no choice.

So with my three friends we set out towards the mountain. The sun gave it a shadowy look, menacin even. I knew before the day was out, that trouble was comin.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We made it to the mountain with no problems. Occasionally I saw shadows dart in and out of the trees, but there was no attack. As we made our way up the pass, we passed the spot where I had almost lost my life to the last beta.

Blood was still stained in the dirt as we passed, whether it was mine or his was anyone’s guess. We didn’t go too much farther, I wasn’t gonna bring Toni into this as well. That lil mare would get herself hurt, and I didn’t want another liability.
I glanced at Killian who was chattin with Gear about his position. We were puttin him ‘bout 20 paces up from us, out of the fray. We stopped where the path bended, able to see down the pass for a good hundred feet before the next turn blocked
the path from our view.

We didn’t bother lookin up the mountain, the only thing up there was another bend, and then the cave. Hopefully Toni would stay in there, and not make any dragon sounds.

We waited, and waited. When the sun was nearin its sleep, they came.

Nineteen of the mutts rounded the corner. They were sniffin the ground, probably on our tail. When one looked up and growled, so did the rest. There were fifteen Dobermans, all but four sharp eyed and blood thirsty. Four of them were standin in front of the rest, obviously the ones who led them here. They were calmly eyein us, searchin for the chinks in our armor. The two other hounds were of different breeds, a Lab and Rottweiler. They were the leaders, each having command of four of the killers.

I hefted my axe, Quick twirled his sword, Gear grabbed some shrapnel with his magic, and Killian notched an arrow.

The first to attack was the Rottweiler. He sent his team hurdlin at us. I heard Killian lose an arrow as one of them tumbled to a stop, the feathers stickin out of its eye. The others weren’t impressed, and continued to come. Just as the lab saw that the Rottweiler’s forces weren’t enough to handle us, he released his hounds. Four more of the barkin bastards were incomin.

Just as Killian loosed another arrow the dogs were on us. One for me, one for Quick. I focused on my hound, swingin for his neck. He was quick though, and ducked underneath my strike. He head-butted my chest, makin me stumble back. He came in for a tackle when a piece of dragon scale clipped his side.

Gear let out a whoop, only to have the beast try and lunge for him. I grabbed it by the back leg, and threw it into the mountain side, just as another tackled me to the ground.

It snapped at my face, tryin to bite my muzzle off. I summoned my strength and pushed the beast back enough so I could strike it with one of my horns. It saw this comin and jumped back, just as my steel covered bone came to where his head was.
The dog bein off of me gave me enough time to grab my axe from where it had fallen next to me with my right hand. It came in for another try, only to have my left hand catch its throat. The one I threw into the mountain came in from the side. Slowly approachin my left, with a smile in its snarl.

I winked at the hound, swingin my axe over the pooch on top of me, and into its spine. It whimpered and fell. Meanwhile, the dog in my hand was beginin to lose consciousness. I pulled my axe out of the other, laid it next to me, and snapped the dog’s neck.

I let it fall to my side, then I stood up with axe in hand. The last of the attackin Doberman had Gear under its paws, bitin at his helmet. I glanced to see Quick finishin one off, but too far to help.

As the mutt wrenched Gears helmet from his head, my axe sliced through the hound, and impaled itself into the mountain side. I relieved it from its rock home, and stood facin the pack leaders.

Through the sweat in my eyes, I could tell they were livid. At once they both started sprintin across the gap between us. The four other Doberman stood quietly, watchin the pack leaders run to their prize. Before I had time to question why, the other dogs were on us.

Where was Killian with a long range arrow when you need him. Or for that matter, why wasn’t Gear shootin shards at them?
Both the dogs leaped for me, only to have the Lab get tackled by Quick off the side of the mountain.

The Rottweiler was heavier than I anticipated, and ended up knockin me on my ass. He grabbed one of my arms and held it to the side, only the have the other sock him in the jaw. I followed up with a head-butt. The Rotty, in his rage, went to bite my face, only to get a mouthful of horn. The sharp bone and steel pierced the back of his neck, severin the spinal cord.

Once again, I let the body slump to the side. I retrieved my axe, again, and glanced at the last four dogs. They were much closer, but still too far to jump me. They were however in a full sprint.

I was tired of this shit.

I roared, and ran out to meet the bastards.

I made contact with the first one, rammin my fist into his snout. Another came at me from the opposite side, before I had a chance to ready myself for another strike he but down on my wrist. A third came out of nowhere and did the same to my other hand. The one I punched had gotten up and struck the back of my legs, knockin me to my knees.

Before I could register that I was down, the fourth came and began layin heavy blows on my torso and face.
Where the hell is everyone? I could really use some help.

A fist to the right side of my face sent me sprawlin on the ground. The mutts picked me back up, but now I was facin towards the others. What I saw made my heart sink.

All three of my friends were facin off against a diamond dog with one eye, and he was winnin.

Gear was already unconscious, havin looked like he was tossed against the mountain side. Quick and Killian were in an all-out brawl with the beast, Quick’s sword havin been lodged into the rock at Gear’s feet.

I watched as the dog punched Quick in the face, and with unnatural speed turned and elbowed Killian in the head.

I watched as the mutt grabbed Quick’s wrist, bent it down, and kneed him in the face. With immense strength, the dog picked
the barely conscious Quick up, and threw him over the edge of the mountain.

I watched as the mongrel beat Killian to a pulp.

I watched as the demon broke his neck.

Everythin slowed down, the fourth dog came back into my vision, but I wasn’t there. I was in my mind, replayin the death of my friend.

A fire burned deep within me. Previous fights I had been in played in my mind’s eye as the inferno boiled my mind with rage.

The one part of my mind not taken over by hatred remembered what had happened when me and Quick said the names of our weapons, imaginin the fire and ice that came to life in our weapons. I was still wearin my armor, maybe if I imagined it burstin over with rage…

“Spiritus Infernalis”

The fire within me detonated, sendin flames a good 20 feet from where I sat. Immediately the dogs around me were vaporized.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


As I broke the neck of the poor excuse of a minotaur, I looked to see how my pups faired against the great prey.

I smiled as I noticed him on the ground, being beaten by Gruff, my second in command.
Everything had gone according to plan.

When we found out he was going to this mountain as a way to thin our numbers, Gruff suggested that we lead the other packs here to wear the team down. I thought it was brilliant.

I told them to lead the other packs here while I wait in the cave at the top. The pony up there was unexpected, but she will make a nice new addition to Alpha’s slave hoards. I remembered her look when I put the bag over her head, fear and confusion crossed her features.

I loved that look.

And now here I was, with the prize of a life time, a whole mountain of treasure, and even black dragon scale armor for Steel Fang.

When I made eye contact with the beast, I heard him whisper something.

The ensuing fireball killed my men and flung me against the wall.

The pain from my leg raced through my body as I blacked in and out of consciousness.

I saw Bronze Hoof breathing heavy from where he knelt.

*Black*

He was checking on the unicorn that I tossed aside.

*Black*

He was leaning over the minotaur whom I slayed.

*Black*

He was standing over me.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Killian was dead.

Gear was hurt.

Quick was nowhere to be found.

And the piece of shit that had done all this was sittin against the mountain wall.

I walked over to him, this needed to end now.

“Wake up mutt.” I slapped him on the muzzle roughly a couple time before he came back into reality.

“Who put the hit on me?” the son of a bitch chuckled.

“Steel Fang of course. The alpha of the Metal Mongrels. You kept killing his betas, you needed to be stopped.” He coughed up some blood.

“Where is the den?” The anger seethin from my voice was palpable.

“Why would I tell you beast? I was to be the next beta. You have taken that from me. Now I am nothing.”

“You’re right. You are nothing.” In my anger I grabbed his front paw and broke it. He let out a howl of pain.

“That’s why you’re gonna tell me real quick, boy.” I grabbed his other paw, and twisted it into an unnatural angle. He let out another cry.

All emotion gone from my face, I poked the burn on his leg. Letting my nail scratch the nerve.

“Fine! Fine just stop. I’ll tell you!” I took my finger out, givin him a hard look.

“Just south of here is a path that will lead you to the waists. When you leave the jungle head south another mile where you will come to a volcano. Head east until you see a plateau. That is where the den is, that is where you will find Steel Fang. Now let me go!”

I tilted his head up so he could see my eyes.

“Who ever said anythin ‘bout you leavin?” His eyes widened, but before he could scream, I broke his neck.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I sat there, drained.

The bloody corpse next to me slumped to the ground.

Steel Fang needed to be stopped. New Findings needed to be safe. My friends needed to be safe, The Peaches, Gear, Quick, Minnie…oh god Minnie.

I glanced over at Killian’s body.

I pulled myself up, and limped to where he laid.

His body was sprawled out in an unnatural position. His eyes wide in terror.

That was the last thing he felt before leavin us. Terror.

Not again. No one else here will suffer from the injustice of the horrors animals like Steel Fang wrought upon the helpless.
I heard a stirrin from behind, and glanced to see Gear openin his eyes.

He saw the carnage that was displayed on the mountain pass, and lowered his head.

Shame crossed his features, he knew he had killed. He knew that these dogs might have had family. But that didn’t matter now.

We had a dead friend, and another missin. The deaths of the flea ridden scum didn’t compare to the urgency of findin Quick, and gettin home.

Gear noticed me leanin over Killian, and ran over.

“No no no no! This wasn’t supposed to happen. We were supposed to win. All of us.” He began cryin, weepin for our lost friend.

“Death never was something I dealt with easily.” Both me and Gear nearly twisted our necks at the new voice. Standin on the ledge of the mountain pass was Quick, bruised and beaten, but alive. “Killian was a good minotaur, and would have been a magnificent father.”

He walked over to us, and held Gear in a hug, lettin the lil pony wet his shoulder.

I told Quick what had happened.

“I should have figured, Those other mutts were far too clever for my liking.” Quick had tears in his eyes, but wasn’t allowin any to fall.

“We should probably go check on Toni, make sure she’s alright.” I said. Me and Quick headed up the mountain and into the cave.

Sure enough we found a bound and gagged Toni near the cave’s entrance. We released her, much to her gratitude and left.

She tried givin us more gifts, but we refused.

We made our way back down to Gear and Killian’s body.

“Come on ya’ll. Let’s go home.” I picked Killian up. Quick grabbed my axe, and we headed down the mountain, towards New Findings.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The ceremony that night was a bleak one. Killian’s wood casket was laid into the earth with the sound of cryin, and the wails of a new widow.

Most of the town was in attendance, all havin known the minotaur as a friend. Gear, Quick and I were bandaged, blood soakin through the gauze. Gear had a concussion, I had a few broken ribs, and Quick pulled a muscle in his wing.

The physical pain was hardly noticed. We were all too hurt in our hearts.

Although I can’t be certain, I’m sure that the boys were feelin as guilty as I did.

Maybe if I was a little faster, a little stronger.

Maybe if I had thought to look up the mountain a lil way.

Maybe we should have stayed in town, let the people help us.

These thoughts ran through my head as the last of the dirt was piled on top of my friend. Things needed to change. Steel
Fang needed to be stopped, along with all his hounds.

I headed home soon after, not wantin to see the pained looks Minnie kept givin me.

As I laid in my cold bed, one thing was clear to me.

Steel Fang was goin to pay dearly.

Author's Note:

Poor Killian. Oh well, looks like Bronze is on a mission, and when a cowboy's on a mission, he gets what he's after.
How will Bronze get his revenge?
Will Minnie ever forgive him?
Will there ever be some kind of interesting love triangle?
Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!
wait...
Sorry...
Bronze Hoof!