• Published 22nd Oct 2013
  • 3,057 Views, 65 Comments

Bronze Hoof - cowboybird



A cowboy gets sent to Equestria to be some sort of pawn in the schemes of a god, along the way he learns the value of friendship, and the pain of deceit.

  • ...
6
 65
 3,057

Holy Smokes! (21)

Holy Smokes!

Third Arc: Advancement

With Silent Crutch bein so scared he spilled to beans quite quickly. Apparently the organization he had worked for took him in as a child, teachin him in the ways of stealth and crime. They were called the brotherhood, and had grown so large that their influence could be felt all over the world, save for the new Griffin Dominion. Silent told me that they dabbled in everythin from petty crime to assassinations. The serpent's eye symbolized their deity, Rah, and apparently the eye represent's his "holy divinity and power."

Silent was also kind enough to tell me that their main base of operations is located in Zebria, underneath an old diamond mine. The leaders are a bunch of cultists profitin from the pain and death of others. Two are unicorns, one minotaur, and a few zebras. Silent didn't know any of their names, but I could make due with what he had told me.

After tellin me all there was to know, he began begging for his life.

"Please. Please! I don't wanna die! I just need some help!" Tears had sprung up while tellin me his story, and were now flowin freely. He was on the cot in the jail cell, sobbin his life out.

"Listen son, I ain't here to kill you." I say, gainin his attention and momentarily stoppin the waterfall of tears.

"So you'll take me with you?" He asked, catchin me completely off guard.

"What? When did I ever say that? As far as I'm concerned, you can rot in this jail cell for the rest of your life." Tears once again began to bloom in his eyes.

Damnit I thought. I was never all that great around tears, and this guy seems to have an endless flow of them.

"But if you leave me here they'll kill me!" Silent jumped off the bed and scrambled over, latchin onto my leg. As the sobs continued, my leg began to dampen my fur.

"No can do hoss. We're headin towards the Brotherhood's HQ, someplace I doubt you wanna go."

Reluctantly, and with a bit of a shake, Silent let go of my leg.

"So you're just gonna let me die here?" He asked.

"Are there any other Brotherhood members in town?"

He thought for a second before answerin.

"One. This guy named Big Bucks. He's the branch manager for Wethoof. The other's and I were told to leave before the coup started. Something about 'bein thieves not an army.' The only reason I'm here is because you brought me in last night. Mr. Bucks owns a store called Bucky's down near the market. But as far as I know he's the only one." I put my hand to my face, scratchin the scruff that had begun to form from a few days without shaving.

I didn't know a furred creature could get facial hair either, don't worry.

"I'll go deal with him, but you need to stay put. Also, I'd denounce your brotherhood ties right now. I'm plannin on killin 'em all." I say, slidin my axe out of its holster slowly for emphasis.

"YES. Yes. I denounce my faith in Rah, and all ties with the Brotherhood! Please don't kill me..." He says, as another round of sobs rackin h

I stand there awkwardly for a minute, waitin to see if the tears would stop. When i came to the conclusion that they wouldn't, I coughed into my hand.

"So...I'm gonna go..." I say as I start to sidestep out of his cell.

He just stayed there, cryin into his hooves. A puddle began to form under him as I stepped fully out of the cell and slid it shut. Once the door clicked, I started walkin to the main entrance.

Man, that guy has some problems. I think, scratchin the back of my head.

I reached the front desk, and caught a glimpse of somethin behind the counter.

Takin a closer look I almost fainted with excitement.

Barely hidden behind some books, a familiar rectangle peeked out. I made my way over to it, nearly throwin the receptionists chair into the wall. I knelt down, and pushed the books out of the way. The familiar scent floated from the box to my nose, makin my heart flutter. I gentle wrapped my fingers around it, pickin it up to behold in front of my eyes.

There, in my hand, was a pack of cigarettes.

A tear caressed my cheek as I swallowed a lump that had formed in my throat.

I hadn't had a cigarette since I had arrived in Equestria. I was never able to find them, and no one in New Findings smoked so they never imported any. Before I could marvel at the beautiful box any longer, a voice in the back of my head whispered.

"You're welcome"

It sounded familiar, probably Montue's reward for killin so many ponies.

Immediately my mood darkened.

The thought of me killin so many ponies for that mad god hurt like no other. This blood rage has become too intense. Before I could focus it, but now it has grown stronger. What if next time I kill someone innocent.What if next time I kill one of my friends?

I hung my head, takin a smoke out of the box, along with a lighter that was stuffed inside as well.

I lit the smoke, and inhaled deeply.

As I exhaled I began to walk outside.

The mornin sun warmed my skin, but not my heart.

I began walkin to the market, the bodies of those I had killed in the courtyard passin me on my left.

I took another drag of the cigarette.

Author's Note:

So....hey guys.

I am actually alive, just been carryin on with other hobbies. I will start tryin to write more from now on, but anyways...

So Bronzey ol' boy got some smokes.

I know I didn't include this earlier in the story because I didn't think it would be important, but my entire future outline has changed. So smokin is important in the story.

Also, we start to see a lot of guilt in Bronze, and some doubt. Wonder where that's gonna go.

Find out more next time on Bronze Hoof