• Published 21st Oct 2013
  • 774 Views, 7 Comments

D for Discord - AdmiralSassMcAwesome



War and famine have ravaged Equestria. The nation we once knew is no more. But is there hope yet for this dismal country? Can harmony arise from discord?

  • ...
0
 7
 774

Diplomacy

Nothing beyond that explosion was clear to Fluttershy. Somehow she had ended up here though. Wherever here even was...

The room was too comfortable to be a prison. So, she must have escaped being captured. But she found nothing familiar in her surroundings either. This must have been D's home.

D. That was what he had told her to call him, but that didn't make it any more of a name.

At first, Fluttershy had been equally as afraid of him as she had been of the Magic Colts that confronted her in the alley. But, as her fear had given way to wariness, she had played with the idea that this stallion could perhaps be trusted, could perhaps be good. But after the incident at the station, Fluttershy was more certain that he was mad than anything else.

The friendship express held many fond memories for Fluttershy. She sighed a little as the memories returned to her. She had lost so much... And yesterday, what little she had left had evidently been taken as well. Her freedom was gone. How long would it take before she was dragged away to; God only knows where! Doubtless, at this very moment, Loyalty Guards and Magic Colts where working side by side to track down Fluttershy and this elusive D.

D. Who was he? Something about his voice... Those eyes... Why did he remind her of some pony? Was it possible that she knew him?

Fluttershy felt a wave of bitterness sweep over her as she contemplated all these things. Whoever D was, she was not going to let him push her around like every pony else. Anger flooded Fluttershy's mind. Everything she had was gone? Then there was nothing left to lose. She had been pushed around for far too long! It was time to face up to this world before it consumed her. She would have one last stand!

Fluttershy felt her chest, which had been rapidly rising and falling as these thoughts coursed through her, begin to settle. She sighed again, this time exasperatedly. Who was she kidding? She would never have that sort of courage. She would disappear, perhaps within hours of this moment, and no pony would notice. Would her 'friends' notice? Would they care?

A tear ran down her cheek as she realised a startling truth. While Fluttershy had always known it deep down, there are some realities we daren't admit to ourselves at most times. Now, however, there was no hiding from the simple fact; she was entirely alone.

********

Commander Dash felt a wave of trepidation as she entered the room, a feeling she would never normally admit too. But, an audience with Princess Twilight Sparkle was no ordinary event, and no normal pony would ever feel comfortable with such a prospect.

The room was long and relatively narrow. Right at the opposite end to the entrance stood a wide desk which was elegant in style and showed signs of meticulous order. The walls were lined with bookshelves parallel to each other on the left and right of the desk, and behind the Princesses chair stood three imposing glass windows with lead designs snaked into their topmost frames.

Twilight was deep in conversation with another pony whom Rainbow Dash did not at first recognise. Applejack was not usually dressed so neatly, in a black suit which matched Twilights, and her hair pulled back from her face so that her features were not hidden behind her blonde masses of mane.

The two ponies paused their conversation and regarded Rainbow with some suspicion at first. Twilight's hair was cut shorter now so that it swung back and forth around her chin for a moment before stilling itself again. The coldness of her purple gaze caused Rainbow Dash to gulp before bravely steeping forward.

"I apologise for this interruption, your majesty. But, a situation has been brought to light which I feel you should know about..." Rainbow Dash bowed her head slightly as she speak so as to seem reverential, Twilight responded well to grovelling, and while it panged Rainbows ego, it never hurt to stay in the Princesses good books.

Twilight's sole reaction was a complacent blink. Rainbow Dash wondered if she should go on, but suddenly, as if from nowhere, Twilight said dully; "If, Rainbow Dash, you are referring to the incident at the station in Ponyville, then I assure you, I am already well informed."

Rainbow didnt quite know how to respond. Her jaw lowered and betrayed her inner conflict causing Applejack to snigger from her position at Twilights side. The Princess herself, remained emotionless.

"My Magic Colts may not be the most honest officers of the empire, but they are very thorough in relaying information to me."

"So what do we do about Fluttershy?" Rainbow blurted, immediately regretting it as she saw Twilights eyes narrow on her.

There was an uncomfortable pause which made Rainbow start to suddenly feel the tightness of her crisp white shirt beneath her commanders jacket. She tugged a little at her collar to relieve the pressure when Twilight finally responded.

"What does Fluttershy have to do with any of this?" Her voice took on a measuredly curious tone.

"But I thought?" Rainbows eyes darted between Applejack and Twilight for a moment as she gathered herself. "Well, you see your highness, the incident at the station was proceeded by a killing of three of your officers..." Twilight nodded, "which you of course already knew. And it seems, whoever the stallion was that is responsible for these killings, after the murder he was heard discussing radical political thoughts with a mare he clearly identified as Fluttershy..." Twilights eyes widened a little, "and video we have just received from the stations security cameras reveal that Fluttershy was again present when the same stallion detonated the Friendship Express 30 minutes after the incident with the Magic Colts." Rainbow Dash hesitantly stepped closer towards the desk and held out a file.

Twilight wasted no time in grasping it with her aura and removing the contents which she eagerly scrutinised. Applejack was also clearly interested as she tried to subtly peer over Twilights shoulder at what Rainbow had brought with her.

The papers dropped to the desk. And Rainbow held her breath as she awaited a response.
Applejack looked quite intrigued and she too regarded Twilight with anticipation.

The Princess had however returned to her original stony composure. "I thank you for bringing this to light as quickly as you have done, Rainbow Dash. It is evident that the element of Kindness can no longer be trusted and we must therefore put out for an immediate capture of her before she is involved in any more terrorist activities."

"Applejack, you will of course appropriately organise a broadcast of this disturbing news to the public, making them aware of the urgent need for her arrest, as well as the heinous nature of the explosion of an Equestrian landmark and the murder of three honourable heroes of our nation. Pinkie Pie should have a speech prepared to offer in memory of the Friendship Express and the inauguration of an impending new railway. It must be stressed that we are turning this disaster into an opportunity to create more work and combat our low, but none the less existent, unemployment rates."

Applejack nodded firmly and took down a detailed list of notes as Twilight dictated. Rainbow Dash grinned as Twilight denied unemployment in Equestria. No matter how big a problem was, the Empire always maintained their policy of denial until ponies become too tired of fighting against the lies and accept whatever they are told as truth.

"What about this stallion?" Rainbow Dash asked, breaking the silence.

Both ponies glanced at her again as they had when she entered the room.

"They are both fugitives now, whoever he is beneath that disguise, Fluttershy will be with him. They have bound themselves together now, for better or for worse." The corners of Twilights lips curled upwards into a nasty smile. She quickly corrected herself and returned again to being expressionless. "How is Princess Luna?"

"She's had another turn, I had hoped that Fluttershy could soothe her, but it seems that the Princess won out on her own."

Twilight nodded blankly. "Ladies, you will have to excuse me, I must speak with Celestia."

Twilight ushered the two ponies away from her, each bowing in their turn as Twilight called out for her secretary to take down a letter.

Once outside the room, Rainbow Dash looked towards Applejack, "What happens when we lose an element?"

Applejack looked thoughtful for a moment before shrugging her shoulders and giving Rainbow Dash a complacent glance, "we find another one."

"Can we do that?"

Applejack rolled her eyes. "Not the brightest apple of the bunch are ya?"

Rainbow grimaced at Applejack. "Excuse me? This coming from a country pony." She snorted proudly.

Applejacks eyes narrowed, "I'll try to forget you said that. No need for us to lose two elements in one day..."

Before Rainbow Dash could respond, Applejack had stalked away, her hoof steps even and calm.

What did she mean about losing elements? If anyone knew what was going on here it was Applejack. Next to Twilight, Applejack, who headed the empires propaganda, was best informed. She controlled a team of earth ponies who kept tabs on all activity everywhere.
Then how was it that neither Applejack nor Twilight had known about Fluttershy?

Rainbow Dash shook her head. She had learned long ago that questions now, were generally best not asked. This was out of her jurisdiction anyway. Her job was solely to stand by at the ready to handle invaders, and protect the royal sisters. Whatever happened to Fluttershy, she would have to get it out of her mind. There was only one way that things went anymore. Celestia's way.

*********

Her hooves flew to her mouth, trying to pull back the scream she had just released. But it was too late, it echoed off the high ceilings of the empty foyer she stood in and off into the rooms beyond.

Fluttershy had left her room only to be confronted by a huge menacing face. Only now as she looked at it more closely did she realise that this was no face, but a tribal Zebra mask. The room contained various others hanging from different parts of the high ceiling. A set of Griffin hunting spears lay in a cross on the centre wall to her left. Everything on the base of the room was black, even its carpet, but it was so heavily adorned in paintings of various scenes, like the lament of Celestia over The mare in the moon, sculptures of changelings caught between transformations, fine pieces of ancient pegasi furniture, and most curious of all, in the very middle of the room in a large vase covered in intricate designs which Fluttershy didn't recognise as belonging to any culture she knew, was a mass of small blue flowers which tainted the air surrounding them with a misty blue aura; it was anything but dull.

Fluttershy stopped staring so intensely at the jarring mixture of colours and designs which spattered the room when she realised she was not alone. By a door on the far left stood a tall wooden chair which was carved so as to resemble the natural knots and twists of a tree and it contained the ever mysterious and unreadable D.

She took a step back feeling suddenly very vulnerable again.

"You are likely very confused as to how you got here." D said abruptly. "I'm afraid I cannot have the location of my Chaos Gallery found out, therefore it was necessary to drug you while you slept."

Chaos? That was a word Fluttershy had not heard for quite some time. It made her ears flicker momentarily as she recalled a friend she had had before the war...

"Who are you?"

"Perhaps you remember less than I anticipated..."
"I mean who are you really?"

D said nothing. Perhaps he was shocked that Fluttershy had cut him off. Perhaps he was merely annoyed. Nothing was evident from his motionless mask.

"I think I have a right to know." Fluttershy tried to sound confident, but at best, it came across with uncertainty.

"And why is that?"

Fluttershy felt that flood of anger spread through her again. "Why?" She stared at him in shock. As he didnt respond, she continued, "you may not realise it but what you did last night broke every law in this country! And you didn't do it alone! No! You implicated me in all of it! I have nothing left because of you!" Fluttershy gasped as she felt a tear form in her eye. She didnt want to cry in front of him, but it seemed she would have no choice.

"I am responsible for taking everything you had?" He sounded genuinely puzzled.

"Well... Well..." Fluttershy felt her anger rise again, "YES! Of course you are!"

"Come now Fluttershy. You're life was a shadow of what it once was, and those changes happened long before I came on the scene." D watched her process what he said. "Why is it that you submitted when it was Celestia who took everything, and yet you punish me when all I did was to break the already weathered tie you had with this world. You should thank me."

Fluttershy's eyes narrowed on the complacent stallion before her. "How dare you! It was never Celestia who intended for the war to happen! No one can be blamed for those losses, every pony lost things after that! But... But you took the last thing I had! You took my freedom!"

D chuckled again as he had last night and to Fluttershy's horror, he began to clap. "Marvellous! You're very spirited once you get going. And my, what a devout little follower you are!" D stopped clapping and laughing and became very stern. "But you are quite wrong. About both things." He added. "Celestia did intend for that war to happen, in fact, she planned it out with meticulous care. And when the war came, not only did she take your freedom, but every pony else's too."

Fluttershy shook her head in disbelief. "What are you saying!? Are you completely mad? Why would Celestia have caused a famine? We nearly lost the war! That doesn't make any sense! She loved us!"

"Loved?"

She paused, her chest was heaving. "Yes, she.. She still loves us, but she loved us then too..."

D slowly shook his head from side to side. "Tsk, tsk, and you were doing so well." He stood up then and walked a calmly towards her. "Face it Fluttershy, you don't believe in the empire. You know that what I'm saying is the truth. Once you accept that, you'll be freer than you've been in years."

She gazed up at the masked stallion before her. "I-I-I...." Her breathing became shallow and rapid. "I can't. You don't understand..."

Without warning he reached out and grasped her shoulders. "I do. You're afraid. But you don't have to be anymore."

Fluttershy felt her heart beat grow steadier. It was as though his touch had a calming effect on her. His touch was firm, and she felt certain that he might crush her in a moment, but simultaneously she felt sure that he wouldn't. She bought her eyes up to look into his. His gaze was steady. In that instant she felt sure she could trust him and he seemed to sense this, for he let go of her and said, "it will take time, but you will see, Celestia cannot hurt you anymore now. You said I had taken your freedom, but actually, I have given you leave of her hurtful world and the hold it had on you."

Everything he had said was true. But, Celestia had rewritten history and made it so that her revisionist ways were the only truths any pony had known. Fluttershy had learned years earlier from Twilight that Celestia was causing the droughts through her powers over the sun. The famine was a way of bringing others to her feet, begging for mercy. If only they had submitted to her rulership it might have ended sooner, but their pride stopped them and intensified the sufferings until it was out of even Celestia's control.
The war had been a cover to assert her dominance, the massacres of 'possible threats'; all of it had happened for Celestia's sake and no pony else's!

But the lies were so deeply ingrained, the fear so strong. Fluttershy was conscious of her brain demanding that she deny D's version, despite its being sure of his truths, to accept them was tantamount to suicide.

"I just can't." She uttered feebly. Her eyes swelled with tears. "I wish I could but... I'm not brave enough."

D laughed. "I'm hiding behind a mask. What's brave about that?"

Fluttershy wanted to laugh as well, and a smile did play upon her lips, but the tears continued to flow, albeit more gently now. She wiped her muzzle with her hoof. "Why did you save me?" She finally asked.

D seemed to ponder his answer a little too long. "You were in danger." He said simply.

Fluttershy gave him a scrutinising glare. "You mean to tell me you rescue every pony the Magic Colts assault?"

"Only the pretty ones." D laughed loudly but seeing she was not amused he coughed a little and stopped. He regarded her briefly before sighing. "There's no point in lying to you. I of course know who you are. And as such, I am aware that unlike the other elements, you have not so easily pushed aside your goodness for the false security Celestia offers."

"I cannot hide that I intend to destroy both Celestia and her nasty empire. And I believe that you may be of great help to me." D saw her gape at him in utter confusion. “Perhaps that is difficult for you to understand. Allow me to elaborate…”

Author's Note:

Please tell me if you spot any mistakes!
And thanks for reading : )

Comments ( 3 )

I can see 1 mistake: there must be MORE

U nerver finish EITHER!!!!!!WHY!!!!!!!:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:

Noooooo, what was D's plan going to be? Is there a possibility that the story continues, despite the time that has passed?:pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment